Ace Attorney Community |OT| A New Chapter of Trials!

Oct 27, 2017
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 stuff: I've finished case 4 and I'm just starting case 5, but all the wind has been sucked out of my sails by a cross-examination solution that I... don't get at all:

So I'm cruising along, loving this case 4 that suddenly throws a bunch of cool reveals at me (Prof. Mikotoba was Holmes' 相棒!) and then turns into case 5 when I least expected it (definitely not what I expected, but I'll go along with it), but I hit a brick wall in the first cross-examination of case 5. Gina talks about some elite gentleman's club called バラブロック, and judging by the way I had to press that information out of her I know that's gotta be the line to present evidence on, but I can't find anything in my Court Record that mentions バラブロック. It's not a word I'm familiar with, and my best Google Fu says it's some kind of pork dish, so no help there. So I save and try some options, then I wonder if I'm on the wrong line entirely, and eventually I've wasted like an hour and I'm only getting more frustrated.

So I end up looking at a guide, and it says to present Prof. Mikotoba's note to the chief warden, which is written on the back of a steamship ticket. A steamship ticket that says THE BLACKBIRD LINE, in English. Yet when you inspect the ticket further, Naruhodo and Susato call it the バラブロック号 (which is not written on the actual 3D model of the ticket the player can see). I'd already inspected that ticket hours ago way back at the start of Case 4, and the Court Record updates to say that it's a note written on the back of a ship ticket but doesn't actually say the name of the ticket. So the solution to this puzzle is to present Gina the court record entry that DOES NOT have the word バラブロック in it, which is a boat ticket that DOES NOT SAY バラブロック on it. I just don't know how I ever would have got there without using a guide, short of just inspecting every piece of evidence again out of pure desperation.

And, I don't know, maybe being a native English speaker screwed me over, because I looked at the ticket and saw 'Blackbird' and moved on? Maybe the first time I inspected that ticket 10+ hours ago I misread バラブロック as ブラックバード, because I wasn't paying enough attention and I'd just seen the English word? I don't know, this could all be my own fault, but this is the only puzzle in either DGS game I've been so hopelessly stuck on, and even after looking up the solution I'm still mystified by it, which just puts me in a sour mood.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
www.twitter.com
IIRC wasn't it reconfirmed as being 2 "title's" in delvelopment for Switch and that's why people assumed one or more of it would be a collection.
No, not really. A Capcom exec confirmed AA is coming to Switch in some form by April 2019, but didn't specify if that was a new game or port. Laura Kate Dale at Kotaku UK reported that collections and a new game are in production. And AA producer Eshiro said they're working on AA stuff for 2018 and a "new title", but did not specify that he meant a new Ace Attorney title.

So it could be a new IP coming from Eshiro/Takumi and just AA ports for Switch. Or something.

Oct 29, 2017
Japan
No, not really. A Capcom exec confirmed AA is coming to Switch in some form by April 2019, but didn't specify if that was a new game or port. Laura Kate Dale at Kotaku UK reported that collections and a new game are in production. And AA producer Eshiro said they're working on AA stuff for 2018 and a "new title", but did not specify that he meant a new Ace Attorney title.

So it could be a new IP coming from Eshiro/Takumi and just AA ports for Switch. Or something.
Ah that’s what I must have read! Man I really hope they come to switch otherwise I’ve been a complete fool selling my collection apart from DGS2.

Speaking of which finally started playing it again, currently on the third case. 2nd case was weird considering it seemed like a bunch of asset reuse. Does it have something to do with the first selling pretty badly?

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
www.twitter.com
Ah that’s what I must have read! Man I really hope they come to switch otherwise I’ve been a complete fool selling my collection apart from DGS2.

Speaking of which finally started playing it again, currently on the third case. 2nd case was weird considering it seemed like a bunch of asset reuse. Does it have something to do with the first selling pretty badly?
Takumi's said in interviews that he basically wrote "too much" for DGS1. While I doubt that DGS1+2 are literally Takumi's original plan chopped in two (things always change and evolve over development), the games share more assets/plot points than any other AA games as a result.

DGS1-4/DGS2-2 in particular were probably originally written as a single case. In the DGS2 artbook character designer Nuri even comments that Petenshy was the very first character they did motion capture for across the entire series, and his design/etc. was done in 2013 before the first game was even announced!

That said, yeah, the first game not selling great also probably put a squeeze on the budget for the second game (hence no anime cutscenes).

Enjoy case 3 though - I liked case 2 a lot, but case 3 is where DGS2 pops off and doesn't stop.

Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Takumi's said in interviews that he basically wrote "too much" for DGS1. While I doubt that DGS1+2 are literally Takumi's original plan chopped in two (things always change and evolve over development), the games share more assets/plot points than any other AA games as a result.

DGS1-4/DGS2-2 in particular were probably originally written as a single case. In the DGS2 artbook character designer Nuri even comments that Petenshy was the very first character they did motion capture for across the entire series, and his design/etc. was done in 2013 before the first game was even announced!

That said, yeah, the first game not selling great also probably put a squeeze on the budget for the second game (hence no anime cutscenes).

Enjoy case 3 though - I liked case 2 a lot, but case 3 is where DGS2 pops off and doesn't stop.
Wow that’s fascinating! I remember Petenshy turning up for a split second during the first game and thinking it was odd they never turned up in the trial. I wonder what happened during development.

From what I’ve read DGS2 seems like it’s a definitive end for these characters which seems a little disappointing. I am only half way through though so maybe my thoughts will change.

For some reason I thought that the main line and dai series were supposed to complement each other, one main game, one dai game, rinse repeat. I guess I wasn’t mistaken if this one completely closes the story definitively.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that’s fascinating! I remember Petenshy turning up for a split second during the first game and thinking it was odd they never turned up in the trial. I wonder what happened during development.

From what I’ve read DGS2 seems like it’s a definitive end for these characters which seems a little disappointing. I am only half way through though so maybe my thoughts will change.

For some reason I thought that the main line and dai series were supposed to complement each other, one main game, one dai game, rinse repeat. I guess I wasn’t mistaken if this one completely closes the story definitively.
I don't know if this is known for sure, but I've always heard that it was intended to be a trilogy but was changed to a duology when the first game bombed.

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
www.twitter.com
I don't know if this is known for sure, but I've always heard that it was intended to be a trilogy but was changed to a duology when the first game bombed.
Having played DGS2, there are definitely some plot points or characters that felt a bit squeezed for time (one character in particular comes to mind), but after reading Takumi's comments about DGS1 getting too big in scale it's hard to say for certain "this is a chopped-down trilogy" rather than "this is a single game that had to be broken down into multiple". It's possible that if the first game had done gangbusters they would have worked to make it into a trilogy, but I doubt it was ever set in stone.

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished both Dai Gyakuten Saiban games! This has been months in the making for me, and over 140 hours of gameplay according to my Activity Log because I'm an appallingly slow Japanese reader (and I feel like there's no end to the Japanese vocabulary. SO MANY WORDS :P), but I've done it, and I absolutely loved every moment of it. These two games are brilliant; definitely my favourite Ace Attorney games so far and probably some of my favourite ever. I have a few issues with the puzzle logic in the final case of DGS2, and maybe I would have been more upset with some of the questions DGS1 leaves unanswered if I wasn't in a position to play them back to back, but those are the only complaints I can muster. I loved the characters, loved the cases, loved the way the games look and sound, and the way they wrapped up this story is just... I don't know what to say. These games are so good. Shut up, you're crying.

I'll get the complaining out of the way first: I think splitting DGS2's last case in two was a cool idea, but at a certain point I started dreading having to go back into the same Court Record I'd been staring at for the last twenty hours to sift through the same ever-expanding list of evidence. THIRTY 証拠品s by the end of it all! I was straight up, 100%, rock-solid stuck probably six times in the final case, and, granted, it could totally be the fault of my poor Japanese or even just me being a big dummy, but it grated on all the same. You can only tell a 3DS screen "I don't know what you want from me!" so many times before it starts taking its toll. And even looking at a guide, I often had no idea how I was supposed to come to a certain conclusion. I think it must be extraordinarily hard to balance puzzle difficulty in an Ace Attorney game, but for what it's worth I never got stuck in the first DGS (or even the first four cases of DGS2), and DGS2-5 stopped me in my tracks a lot.

But, like I said, that's just about my only complaint. The actual story of DGS2's Case 5 was amazing from start to finish, and even moreso when you consider that the roots of that story extend all the way back through Case 4, Case 3... well, actually all the way back to the start of DGS1, in fact. And while there might be a few headscratchers here and there (the one that stuck out to me was that Vortex felt he needed to kill Genshin immediately so Drebber wouldn't find out the identity of the Professor, but then he let Madame Rozaic see and even sculpt Genshin's face as long as she swore to secrecy?), I think Takumi did an amazing job of making it all feel like all the puzzle pieces were falling into their rightful places. I don't think I've ever had so many "OOOOOOOH!" moments in a game before, and they don't even stop when the final case is over. Game's just like "Oh, btw? Iris is Van Zieks' niece" and I'm like "WHAAAAAA" :P

God, what a fabulous pair of games. I wouldn't be opposed to another ten more DGS games, but if these are the only two we ever get I think they left off on a wonderful note.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing other things, but finally played through case 4 in Spirit of Justice. Wow, it actually turned out to be a great trial! I love Blackquill. Probably my second favorite prosecutor after Godot and above Klavier.

Onward to case 5!

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, guess I'll have to actually finish season 1. I didn't find there was much there for someone who already played the games, and I kept looking at the pachinko machine anime scenes and how much better they looked. Still cool, though, that it's going to cover the trilogy without there being this empty spot.

AA7 cometh.

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to watch S1, only watched the first episode.

Also Episode 5 SoJ
did they really only bring Maya back in this game to repeat things that have already happened to her before? Ugh. What a waste of her character so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet! Should be better if it isn't so rushed like the first season covering two games.

Godot is probably going to be voiced by Rikiya Koyama again. He's a great actor but I can only hear Takamura from Ippo when he talks.

Oct 25, 2017
If they're just adopting one game it might be 1 cour, which would be worse because T&T is the longer game. I'd wait to hear how long it will be before getting hopes up.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely excited soley for the fact that we'll get to see Godot animated. I hope Funimation dubs it faster than they did with the first season.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, something I've always wondered. Why are the lawyers ALWAYS barred from investigating, or have to be given permission, or have to sneak around, or have to basically illegally investigate (like in case 3 of Trials)? Is this like real life? Is Phoenix just terrible? What gives? Why are prosecutors always allowed to do as they please and have detectives and police helping them but not Phoneix and co. Is it because Phoenix has a private office and every other prosecutor is working under the main office?

Also I can confidently state that Nahyuta is the worst prosecutor in the series. Congrats, Franziska, you're no longer the worst. Sad, we've had three great ones in a row until Nahyutrash.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, something I've always wondered. Why are the lawyers ALWAYS barred from investigating, or have to be given permission, or have to sneak around, or have to basically illegally investigate (like in case 3 of Trials)? Is this like real life? Is Phoenix just terrible? What gives? Why are prosecutors always allowed to do as they please and have detectives and police helping them but not Phoneix and co. Is it because Phoenix has a private office and every other prosecutor is working under the main office?

Also I can confidently state that Nahyuta is the worst prosecutor in the series. Congrats, Franziska, you're no longer the worst. Sad, we've had three great ones in a row until Nahyutrash.
Fairly sure even in real life, attorneys are not allowed to be investigating crime scenes all on their own.

Oct 26, 2017
Not when Klavier exists. No one's even ten percent as bad as him.
Klavier is awesome though? The fact that he's actually friendly in his own way AND that he cares more about the truth than he does winning is reason enough to put him above Nahyuta.

Although I always found it funny when even on case 5 the prosecutors are always acting all cocky when I'm thinking "ya'll been losing four cases in a row so maybe tone it down a bit."

Oct 25, 2017
Klavier is absolutely horrible. JFA Edgeworth is after the truth, but that doesn't make him a glorified second assistant. Blackquill too. Klavier is an obnoxious, condescending jerk who never gets the breakdown he should because he's "after the truth." He's also a major source of AJ's biggest problem of answers just being given to you, instead of you actually figuring out on your own. You know, the entire point of the series?

Nayuta is not the greatest character by any means. He's not all that interesting. There's not much too him. But at his absolute worst, he's just dull. Klavier is absolutely infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017
It's that time of the year again!
Who do you think is going to be this year's hero?

Just a reminder of who's running in the competition this year:

Left to Right: Global Hero Onyankopon, Starry School students, Captain Saipan, Jammin' Ninja.

Last year's winner was the amazing Pink Princess. I can't believe that show ended.
I wish I could be there at the award ceremonies. I hear they have an amazing feast prepared and a surprise announcement to make tomorrow!
I've been playing through the Trilogy recently, and remembered this old topic from back then and decided to check today's date and see if anything was coming up again.

Surprise! The future is back.

My introduction into the series was with Apollo Justice, and honestly going back to the original Trilogy was kind of jarring since I can't inspect/check all the pieces of evidence in cool 3D.

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Spirit of Justice. The last case, whew, all the twists (one really got me) and craziness was so fun. Whew, going through 4 games in the last 1.5-2 months has been a RIDE! Now, the DLC case, then PW vs PL. Need to figure out how to play the fan translation of Investigations 2. Then just wait it out for 7.

Mini-Review for Spirit of Justice:

+ Absolutely gorgeous
+ The new remixes like Ema's theme are wonderful
+ Apollo and Trucy getting more focus
+ Final case, case 4, and case 2
+ Dhurke and Datz are both amazing. Especially Datz.
+
Yo the scene where Inga shoots Dhurke had me SO MAD. It was a great scene, but wow did it make me hate Inga (as intended).

- Frankly most of the game set in Khurain just didn't do it for me. Case 3 in particular dragged for years (even though I liked the outcome and Maya channeling that monk was hilarious)
- Music in Khurain was boring.
- Nahyuta SUCKS. Rayfa sucks but she gets better a bit by the end.
- These fools really used Maya as a prop throughout the whole game but marketed her like some grand return. Sad. She deserved better.

I kind of wanna replay the first 2 games since it's been forever. Not that I'm particularly eager for 2 though, I recall it being a slog all the way and Franziska sucks. I also wanna replay some other iconic cases like 4-1.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Spirit of Justice. The last case, whew, all the twists (one really got me) and craziness was so fun. Whew, going through 4 games in the last 1.5-2 months has been a RIDE! Now, the DLC case, then PW vs PL. Need to figure out how to play the fan translation of Investigations 2. Then just wait it out for 7.

Mini-Review for Spirit of Justice:

+ Absolutely gorgeous
+ The new remixes like Ema's theme are wonderful
+ Apollo and Trucy getting more focus
+ Final case, case 4, and case 2
+ Dhurke and Datz are both amazing. Especially Datz.
+
Yo the scene where Inga shoots Dhurke had me SO MAD. It was a great scene, but wow did it make me hate Inga (as intended).

- Frankly most of the game set in Khurain just didn't do it for me. Case 3 in particular dragged for years (even though I liked the outcome and Maya channeling that monk was hilarious)
- Music in Khurain was boring.
- Nahyuta SUCKS. Rayfa sucks but she gets better a bit by the end.
- These fools really used Maya as a prop throughout the whole game but marketed her like some grand return. Sad. She deserved better.

I kind of wanna replay the first 2 games since it's been forever. Not that I'm particularly eager for 2 though, I recall it being a slog all the way and Franziska sucks. I also wanna replay some other iconic cases like 4-1.
I quite enjoyed how different Khurain felt to the usual setting and I personally thought the investigation music used there is among the best in the series.

Agreed on case 2 and 5 being incredible. I was particularly pleased with how well case 2 managed only a single day of investigation and trial - I would have been very disappointed had I known it was this way beforehand but seeing it in action, it felt like the perfect length. I wasn't as high on Case 4 which I felt really needed an investigation but I love Athena so I'm just happy she had some time to shine at all.

The irrelevance of Maya in the grand scheme of things was disappointing but she gets a good amount of screen time in the DLC case so look forward to that.

Hopefully you get to experience Investigations 2 soon! It really does live up to it's reputation.

Oct 26, 2017
I did the DLC case, felt really short, obvious, and easy. Maya being there was cute, but I don't like that the DLC case seemed to regress Edgeworth to his before-development days. Not sure how I felt about the way he was portrayed as the case went on. DLC case in 5 was WAY better, then again, it was a great case overall, while this DLC case seemed more like one of the mid-game filler cases.

So now I'm totally done with 1-6! Now to play AAI2 and PW vs PL.

Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Finally finished The second great ace attorney.

Great game, I really enjoyed it. It was full of cool little twists and turns but I was disappointed by the ending simply because I called it earlier in the game. They threw a curve ball towards the end making me think I wasn’t wrong but they ended up just running it back.

Would love to see more of the series though. When’s the next game announcement already!

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of liked Maya's minimal role, mainly because her return and the focus on the Kurain/Khura'in stuff in trailers before the game came out made me a little concerned that the game would be a bit too much of a nostalgia trip. I was really happy that SoJ just did its own thing.

Welp I'm back again. Beat Apollo Justice and so far it had my least favorite cases in all of Ace Attorney. Apollo himself grew on me over the game but I didn't feel like he got too many moments to shine. On the other hand the new cast was great! Phoenix popping in and out of the story to drop hints and laugh at you was great! Trucy was the best partner in any Ace Attorney game yet! Emma popping back in as the new detective was a great surprise! Thought it would be a tall order getting a detective as fun and stupid as Gumshoe but Emma topped him in her first attempt. Klavier Gavin came out all right in all honesty. Threw me off when it turned out that he didn't really cheat willingly throughout the entire game and was just there for the ride.

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I actually kind of liked Maya's minimal role, mainly because her return and the focus on the Kurain/Khura'in stuff in trailers before the game came out made me a little concerned that the game would be a bit too much of a nostalgia trip. I was really happy that SoJ just did its own thing.
I like that SoJ did it's own thing but I would have preferred Maya not be there for the sole reason was she was wasted. I would have rather waited again so she could have some impact on the story or an emotional weight on Wright in a future game for the big return. So since that didn't happen.... bring back Iris.