Android |OT| I called the death of 3.5mm

Just put alllll the cameras on there
And still, nobody will ever (again) have what it takes to break the paper thin phone trend and pack a decently sized sensor (and lens) which is what will actually get you better photos instead of just riding on insane amounts of post-processing.

And still, nobody will ever (again) have what it takes to break the paper thin phone trend and pack a decently sized sensor (and lens) which is what will actually get you better photos instead of just riding on insane amounts of post-processing.
Isn't that quite literally what the RED Hydrogen One's whole thing is?

Damn, even the new iPhone max has been struck by the shitty lg panel lottery. I thought they were strictly doing Samsung, but they are doing a mix of LG and Samsung.
How do we know the worse panels are the LG ones? Just because there are bad ones out there doesn't automatically mean they are LG. LG is building an extremely small batch for the iPhone XS and I'm seeing lots of reports.

There are also reports it's happening to the iPhone X so it may be IOS 12 and nothing to do with the panels

what happened to the last guy that did that?

How do we know the worse panels are the LG ones? Just because there are bad ones out there doesn't automatically mean they are LG. LG is building an extremely small batch for the iPhone XS and I'm seeing lots of reports.

There are also reports it's happening to the iPhone X so it may be IOS 12 and nothing to do with the panels
Were you under a rock for the past year? Didn't you see the Pixel 2 XL screengate? Guess who manufactured those stinkers?

Were you under a rock for the past year? Didn't you see the Pixel 2 XL screengate? Guess who manufactured those stinkers?
LGs Apple production line was assumed to be completely different than the one from the Pixel 2 XL. Clearly LG struggled making POLED displays. To say the display issues are iPhones w/ LG displays is just making up fake news until we learn more.

Could it be the LG displays? Sure. Does it make sense to post in forums that it is the fault of LG when no one actually knows anything? No.

Good job encouraging Bobo to spread fake news though.

Also, you are ignoring that I mentioned people are noticing worse display quality on iPhoneX after IOS12. Phones with a Samsung display.

Last edited:
The Galaxy S9's price is free-falling in Europe - saw it on HotUKDeals for £450 today. Was thinking of upgrading my OnePlus 3t to the 6t, but this is tempting me. Better screen, 3.5mm jack, probably better camera. The only concerns are bloat and battery life.

Any thoughts?

Aiii

何これ
Than how come people are reporting bad displays on $1500 iPhones?
To be fair, there's always going to be an amplification aspect.

To be even more fair, I've never had issues with Apple and returns/trade-ins when there was even the tiniest of issue with my device. I once had a little spec -not even fair to call it a scratch- and got it exchanged no questions asked.

Any mass-produced electronic device is going to have a certain percentage of faults, this is not out of the ordinary or exclusive to Apple, as long as the company is good about exchanging faulty devices I am good with that, in fact, it makes me want to purchase more of your companies stuff in the future.

The Galaxy S9's price is free-falling in Europe - saw it on HotUKDeals for £450 today. Was thinking of upgrading my OnePlus 3t to the 6t, but this is tempting me. Better screen, 3.5mm jack, probably better camera. The only concerns are bloat and battery life.

Any thoughts?
Battery life is trash on Exynos version. Get the 6t and use GCam.

Any thoughts?
Yeah get it. Screen is so much nicer and you get to keep that sweet jack.

Aiii

何これ
Ah crap forgot they had different processors in different regions. The power efficiency in the Exynos looks awful.

That was my initial thought, but now I'm second guessing
The OnePlus 6 might only have a 1080p screen, but it's still a gorgeous AMOLED display. And that edge to edge teardrop screen coming to the 6T is quite something.

Plus you'll be guaranteed two OS updates on the 6T, while the S9 will probably not go above Pie, if you care about such things.

The OnePlus 6 might only have a 1080p screen, but it's still a gorgeous AMOLED display. And that edge to edge teardrop screen coming to the 6T is quite something.

Plus you'll be guaranteed two OS updates on the 6T, while the S9 will probably not go above Pie, if you care about such things.
I do like the design of the 6T. I hope the screen is better than my 3T - moving from the Nexus 6P to this was a huge downgrade in screen quality.

And yeah, OnePlus are getting really good with their software updates.

You sure about this?

I thought Samsung does two major Android updates and at least 3 years of security updates?

S7 is getting/has received the Oreo update and started on Marshmallow

Aiii

何これ
You sure about this?

I thought Samsung does two major Android updates and at least 3 years of security updates?

S7 is getting/has received the Oreo update and started on Marshmallow
I'm no expert on Samsung, so if they're now guaranteeing two updates, great, I stand wholy corrected.

The Galaxy S6 shipped with 5.0 and got 6.0 and 7.0, while the S7 launched with 6.1 and got 7.0 and 8.0, and the S8 launched with 7.*, is on 8.0 now, and is slated to get 9.* later (not sure what it has to offer that isn't available now in the first place but...).

Hey, the more this becomes the norm, the better. Now all we need is more speed in bringing the updates and we'll finally be in the future we deserve.
For mainline updates the speed is a wash considering how little they bring to the table versus the more vital security updates. Pie for example has virtually nothing to upgrade feature-wise.

Aiii

何これ
For mainline updates the speed is a wash considering how little they bring to the table versus the more vital security updates. Pie for example has virtually nothing to upgrade feature-wise.
I mean, this is a nice thing to say, but that's not true. While you might say "this update has nothing for me" and be correct, you can't say updates bring nothing to the table. For instance, someone might really be waiting for a certain feature in Pie and won't enjoy waiting 9 months to get it, like for instance the new AptX for their headset or soundbar. Plus, what if the next update brings something revolutionary for you?

It's just not a good excuse for not getting updates in a timely manner, ever. Unless you want to argue against updates altogether, which I'd also say is wrong.

Hey, the more this becomes the norm, the better. Now all we need is more speed in bringing the updates and we'll finally be in the future we deserve.
This isn't new nor is it acceptable. Samsung, LG and HTC have always issued 2 additional updates.

A thousand dollar Note 9 launches on a year old OS and ends on Android Q.

A Pixel 3 will end on Android S. Even that isn't acceptable IMO.

Well they've already started work on pie for Samsung, which is months ahead of oreo last year.

Anyways it's not that huge of a deal for me with samsung, Google updates are generally just catch up to what oem been doing for years like auto brightness adjustment and some Bluetooth codex and saved audio settings per headset.

Sure there is some low lvl api stuff that's neat if that's your thing.

Flagships have 2 updates at the very least. I'm here with my budget phone which just got Oreo a month ago, which didn't change anything except that now I'm on Security Patch August instead of June. And god knows when i'll get Miui 10, let alone Android P. Can't wait to get on board with something pricier just for the software updates.

Optional gesture navigation, better do not disturb... Maybe a changed look depending on your phone? Er, built in screenshot editor?
Yeah I feel like timely updates are nothing to get giddy about anymore. Even Essential dropped Pie before Google did which is pretty absurd. Speaking of which, I got to finally play with one and the phone felt amazing. Really wish I got in on that Amazon deal when it was around.

I'm hoping OnePlus gets some foothold on the Android market in 2018/2019 because I'm really loving what they're doing. Anything to make Samsung sweat is good in my book.

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on another Nvidia Shield TV. The FireTV Stick I had got on my last nerves today when watching Netflix when the audio cut out -- piece of shit likes to randomly freeze, drop audio, and lose wifi signal in spite of being a literal two feet from the router -- so I'm entirely done with it at this point. Deleted my account and wifi settings from it, packed it back into its box that I still had for some inexplicable reason, and now I have to find someone who's willing to buy this four year old piece of shit.

I was also thinking of just saving some money and buying a MiTV. but at the same time, I feel like I'm just going to get annoyed over something trivial and return it for the Shield anyway.

I feel like the updates from 6.0 to Pie hasn't done anything for me personally. Was there anything significant in these updates?
Try going back to a Marshmallow device for a week or two after getting used to Pie. You'll see the difference, at least in quick settings, permissions, and battery life (and navigation and theme). Device/ecosystem compatibility, too.

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on another Nvidia Shield TV. The FireTV Stick I had got on my last nerves today when watching Netflix when the audio cut out -- piece of shit likes to randomly freeze, drop audio, and lose wifi signal in spite of being a literal two feet from the router -- so I'm entirely done with it at this point. Deleted my account and wifi settings from it, packed it back into its box that I still had for some inexplicable reason, and now I have to find someone who's willing to buy this four year old piece of shit.

I was also thinking of just saving some money and buying a MiTV. but at the same time, I feel like I'm just going to get annoyed over something trivial and return it for the Shield anyway.
The new $40 4K Roku Premier was announced today. It's a lot better than any FireTV device and a lot cheaper than a Shield TV.

Try going back to a Marshmallow device for a week or two after getting used to Pie. You'll see the difference, at least in quick settings, permissions, and battery life (and navigation and theme). Device/ecosystem compatibility, too.

The new $40 4K Roku Premier was announced today. It's a lot better than any FireTV device and a lot cheaper than a Shield TV.
I refuse to go back to Roku; too limited of an OS. My prior experience with Roku is one of the reasons why I bought a Shield TV; the other reason being that the shitty Android box I bought from my dad to watch youtube and sub-1080p Netflix on went into a "Google Play Services has Stopped" perpetual loop, but the only reason why I went to that thing in the first place is because it didn't start out as annoying as using Roku had become.

I refuse to go back to Roku; too limited of an OS. My prior experience with Roku is one of the reasons why I bought a Shield TV; the other reason being that the shitty Android box I bought from my dad to watch youtube and sub-1080p Netflix on went into a "Google Play Services has Stopped" perpetual loop, but the only reason why I went to that thing in the first place is because it didn't start out as annoying as using Roku had become.
I miss all the hacking, sub-720p videos and finicky Dolby with my Nexus Player, but my wife loves me again now that our Roku just works. Did I mention I am a masochist for sideloading?

I think I may have convinced my wife to try Tmobile now that our Fi iPhones are paid off. I love the carrier switching, but the limited phone selection is killing me. I need me some OPO 6T

RUMOR

New Chromecast to be unveiled when the Pixel 3 is shown.

Idk what you really need though. I think the current Chromecast 2nd gen for 1080p TVs is fine.

I miss all the hacking, sub-720p videos and finicky Dolby with my Nexus Player, but my wife loves me again now that our Roku just works. Did I mention I am a masochist for sideloading?

I think I may have convinced my wife to try Tmobile now that our Fi iPhones are paid off. I love the carrier switching, but the limited phone selection is killing me. I need me some OPO 6T
I left all of that hacky bullshit to the side after I "jailbroke" the Fire Stick for Kodi, which turned out to be a miserable existence. The most I've done on my Shield is install Blokada for adblocking, chrome for web browsing in case I need it, and the Smart Youtube TV app since, like Youtube Center for desktop browsers, allows the app to default to 4k automatically without any tinkering, or the highest resolution available for a video instead of that shitty loading the video at 360p before auto-adjusting to max resolution, if it automatically adjusts in the first place.

Other than that, I'm just cycling through Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and Youtube. Pretty snappy and just as easy to use as Roku, just without stupid buttons on the remote that lead to accidental launches of things you didn't want to run while watching a movie.

And emulation, of course. Gotta have the same games I already have on 58438 other devices on yet another one.

RUMOR

New Chromecast to be unveiled when the Pixel 3 is shown.

Idk what you really need though. I think the current Chromecast 2nd gen for 1080p TVs is fine.
Thought about Chromecast, but I didn't want to be dependent on my phone to watch TV.

I left all of that hacky bullshit to the side after I "jailbroke" the Fire Stick for Kodi, which turned out to be a miserable existence. The most I've done on my Shield is install Blokada for adblocking, chrome for web browsing in case I need it, and the Smart Youtube TV app since, like Youtube Center for desktop browsers, allows the app to default to 4k automatically without any tinkering, or the highest resolution available for a video instead of that shitty loading the video at 360p before auto-adjusting to max resolution, if it automatically adjusts in the first place.

Other than that, I'm just cycling through Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and Youtube. Pretty snappy and just as easy to use as Roku, just without stupid buttons on the remote that lead to accidental launches of things you didn't want to run while watching a movie.

And emulation, of course. Gotta have the same games I already have on 58438 other devices on yet another one.

Thought about Chromecast, but I didn't want to be dependent on my phone to watch TV.
Sounds a lot like my use-cases, but I couldn't justify the money for the Shield TV Pro when what I really want is a Plex server.

Sounds a lot like my use-cases, but I couldn't justify the money for the Shield TV Pro when what I really want is a Plex server.
I sprung for the standard one instead of the Pro. If I were gonna spend Pro money, I'd buy a Switch.

16GB is more than enough for my use case, and anything else, I could use a USB for.

Got it on sale for $150, couldn't pass it up.

That's a great deal. I would consider that for the man cave. How quick are the OS updates with NVIDIA?
I've only had the thing less than a month so I'm no good vouch for frequency, but in the time I've had it, there's been one update.

There's been 10 updates since the 2017 version (the one I have) came out, which is a hell of a lot better than my frequency in updates from Samsung, lol. I've had a handful of updates for the remote firmware, though.

I've only had the thing less than a month so I'm no good vouch for frequency, but in the time I've had it, there's been one update.

There's been 10 updates since the 2017 version (the one I have) came out, which is a hell of a lot better than my frequency in updates from Samsung, lol. I've had a handful of updates for the remote firmware, though.
I may look for that once our TV is paid off, now I just need to figure out what to do with my Nexus Player besides use it as a hockey puck

Nvidia has issued 20 os updates since the 2015 model came out.

For an STB Nvidia is killing it with this thing.
I was sad to see the NP wither and die, but i hope NVIDIA keeps it up. I think the niche between a streaming box and an HTPC is where the market is least saturated. I like that niche.

On a separate note, does anyone have an opinion on the Snapdragon 845? Is the step-up from the 835 --> 845 a big enough jump to keep a phone useable for 3+ years, or do we expect the 845 --> 855 to be a jump worth waiting for?