Android |OT| I called the death of 3.5mm

I was sad to see the NP wither and die, but i hope NVIDIA keeps it up. I think the niche between a streaming box and an HTPC is where the market is least saturated. I like that niche.

On a separate note, does anyone have an opinion on the Snapdragon 845? Is the step-up from the 835 --> 845 a big enough jump to keep a phone useable for 3+ years, or do we expect the 845 --> 855 to be a jump worth waiting for?
It's a decent performance improvement especially with graphics but it doesn't have much for efficiency gains. Those come in 2019

I left all of that hacky bullshit to the side after I "jailbroke" the Fire Stick for Kodi, which turned out to be a miserable existence. The most I've done on my Shield is install Blokada for adblocking, chrome for web browsing in case I need it, and the Smart Youtube TV app since, like Youtube Center for desktop browsers, allows the app to default to 4k automatically without any tinkering, or the highest resolution available for a video instead of that shitty loading the video at 360p before auto-adjusting to max resolution, if it automatically adjusts in the first place.

Other than that, I'm just cycling through Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and Youtube. Pretty snappy and just as easy to use as Roku, just without stupid buttons on the remote that lead to accidental launches of things you didn't want to run while watching a movie.

And emulation, of course. Gotta have the same games I already have on 58438 other devices on yet another one.

Thought about Chromecast, but I didn't want to be dependent on my phone to watch TV.
Get a Xiaomi MiBox. Official Android TV box with Chromecast support. They just updated it to Oreo too.

I'm considering it, but I've been reading about some performance issues. That and the 2GB of RAM makes me weary of some shit that's probably never going to happen, and I'm worried about the buyers remorse of just not getting the best on the market.
There's also some new Jetstream ATV boxe dropping at Walmart soon. Similar to Mi Box but has Ethernet etc.

I'm starting to not be bothered by the Pixel 3 XL notch, am I hallucinating from having seen it so much?

Was his the plan all along? To have us get used to it?

Regular still looks better, just not sure about shifting down in size.

I'm starting to not be bothered by the Pixel 3 XL notch, am I hallucinating from having seen it so much?

Most people I know with phones that have notches got used to it pretty fast. They look hilariously bad to most people on initial use but the human brain can adapt to shitty designs pretty quick sometimes.

Aiii

何これ
Android is 10 years old this week. What are some of you favorite devices? I gotta think of mine, but I'm curious to know others.
Nexus 5 was the first time I looked at Android as serious iPhone competition, the Galaxy S2 was supposed to be the chosen one, but that was a huge letdown, before that.

So yeah, Nexus 5 is definitely my MVP.

Agreed with Nexus 5. It was the first Android device that felt like the platform had some ideas behind it. That's when they shifted to the dark/blue theme and rolled out the butter animations so everything felt quick.

I am getting used to the notch life. Don't own a Notch Phone yet, but its got a good thing going. Somehow.
Android is 10 years old this week. What are some of you favorite devices? I gotta think of mine, but I'm curious to know others.
Galaxy Note 4 is definitely goat tier. One of the best phones for its time. Beyond that:
-Sony Xperia C5 Ultra
-LG G Flex 2
-Sony Xperia Ray

Anyone here use Edge? Is there some hidden option to get it to play youtube videos in the background? I swear it used to do this...
Mozilla still does this if they cut the feature.

I loved my HTC One M7, such an awesome phone.

My Galaxy S6 Edge was awesome too, but I find the curved display a gimmick even though it looks great. It was way too fragile as well(the M7 was a tank in comparison).

Currently using the Essential Phone and it's not too shabby, especially for something that cost me $350.

The Moto X 2013 remains my favorite phone of all time, let alone my favorite Android of all time. That thing was pretty close to perfection, if only the camera was a little bit better and it got better software support. The Nexus 5 is a close runner-up in my eyes.

Looking back at my phone history I have owned a dozen Android devices and yet never had an HTC or Sony device. My longest used devices were the Galaxy S2, Moto X 2013, and Moto X 2014. I think my shortest owned device was maybe the Nexus 5X.

Needed a new phone and didn't want to spend more than $200 so decided on the xiaomi mi a2. Got it for $185 and I've got to say for the price absolutely can't complain. No sd card or headphone jack sucks but at least it does come with the 3.5mm adapter so it's whatever.

Probably the best phone I've bought at this price tag. Didn't want to buy a flagship phone I had bad luck with the last one (Samsung s7 edge). I'll probably wait for next years note/edge to go big.

Needed a new phone and didn't want to spend more than $200 so decided on the xiaomi mi a2. Got it for $185 and I've got to say for the price absolutely can't complain. No sd card or headphone jack sucks but at least it does come with the 3.5mm adapter so it's whatever.

Probably the best phone I've bought at this price tag. Didn't want to buy a flagship phone I had bad luck with the last one (Samsung s7 edge). I'll probably wait for next years note/edge to go big.
Lol why go back to Samsung if they screwed ya before?

I'm considering it, but I've been reading about some performance issues. That and the 2GB of RAM makes me weary of some shit that's probably never going to happen, and I'm worried about the buyers remorse of just not getting the best on the market.
I had the MiBox initially for the main TV, but found the performance to be lacking and picked up a Shield instead. I have been using the MiBox infrequently the last couple of weeks on a different TV and it seems like the recent update may have improved things slightly, but it still doesn't compare to the Shield. If you want something that just works I would recommend picking up another Shield.

After about a week to play with Pie and recents/multitasking is a huge step backwards. The stacked cards was much quicker to find the app your looking for and swiping up and down felt natural. Now we have a single app card in view that I constantly swipe (left or right) past the app I need. The new last app shortcut from the pill gesture is hit of miss as it skips the last app sometimes, guess I can remedy this by going back to the OG navigation. Everything else is great.

Came into Android with a Galaxy So with that shitty, laggy skin and plastic shell... That screen was amazing at the time though.

Fave was the Nexus 6 and Pixel C. Man the Nexus 6 with the speakers and the alight angle to make it comfortable was great.

I've owned:

HTC Incredible & Incredible S
Xperia Z, Z3
Galaxy S7

And now I'm on the LG V30 which I'm enjoying very much though I do miss the camera quick launch on the S7 and the dedicated button on the Xperia.

I still feel like the best phone I've ever owned design wise was the LG Chocolate Touch when I was on Verizon. Great little device for its time.

Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
LG G3
LG G4
LG G5*
Samsung Galaxy Note8

*my G4 got affected by the loopboot issue, so the carrier replaced it with a G5. Utter garbage of device (I still own it) and because of it I won't ever purchase a LG phone again.

Moto Droid 2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Moto Droid Turbo
LG G4
Samsung Galaxy S8
Essential PH-1

The Droid Turbo has been my all time favorite. You had unique materials (ballistic nylon back was so dope), a great form factor, killer specs, beastly battery, and near vanilla Android with all the amazing perks of Moto Display and Moto Actions. It was a Moto X (2nd gen) on crack. The only cons I held against it was the mediocre camera, dim display, and capacitive on screen buttons (the Nexus 6/ Moto X had on screen sadly).

I'm happy with the Ph-1 for the budget price I got it at and seems to have similar pros (hardware) and cons (camera) as my beloved Droid Turbo.

Aiii

何これ
Let's see, my Android devices:
Galaxy S2
Nexus 7
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2012
Nexus 9
Xperia Z3
Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
Nexus 6P
Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 6

LG G Watch R
Huawei Watch

Shield TV

The Galaxy S2 and Nexus 9 were shit, the Tab S2 was very meh. I adore the OnePlus 6, it is amazing. The Nexus 5, 7 2012 and 6P were great, as were the Z3s. The Shield TV might be the best Android thing on the market. Everything else was decent. Android Wear is the worst of the big three wearable OS's, but both devices were great.

Motorola Droid 1
HTC Thunderbolt
Nexus 5
Nexus 6P
Google Pixel XL
OnePlus 6

The time between the HTC Thunderbolt and the Nexus 5 is fuzzy. I don't remember owning any kind of device between those two and from what it looks like it was only roughly a 2 year gap between the two so I think I had the Droid for a few years, upgraded to the Thunderbolt then had that for awhile before finally getting the Nexus 5. Then I had that for two years before getting the 6P at launch. I did love that thing until it the battery fuckery and ended up getting Google to replace it for free with the Pixel XL. Only had that for a year or so until I have the OnePlus 6 now.

HTC Hero on sprint
HTC Evo 4G
Galaxy Nexus (which had a battery that caught fire!)
Moto Atrix HD
Nexus 5
Nexus 6
Galaxy S7 Edge
Galaxy S8+ (gave it to my wife)
Essential PH-1
Galaxy Note 9

I got the Atrix as a placeholder since my Nexus caught fire before the Nexus 5 came out. I then went straight from the 5 to the 6. I recently gave up my PH-1 due to severe signal issues with T-Mobile. Otherwise it's one of the best experiences I've had in ages on Android.

My Android devices

Droid 1
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 6
Nexus 6P
Pixel XL
Note 8 (my current phone)

I'm planning on sticking with the Note's (or any Samsung phone with the S-Pen). It's changed how I interact with my phone.

Pie is so bad that it's killing my interest in upcoming stuff like 6t and mate 20.

Props on Sony on giving the finger to Google. They kept the normal 3 nav buttons and vertical scrolling app switcher on their xz3 pie build

Samsung Infuse
Note 2
Note 4 (Loved it, and I’d have kept it for another year at least if I hadn’t been forced to upgrade when switching carriers)
Nexus 10
S7 Edge
Nvidia Shield Portable
Moto Z Play (still have it, great battery life and totally decent performance, plus I can’t really sell it for much these days I’m even if I wanted to)
S9+ (for 2 months before selling it and switching back to Moto Z Play)

Had an iPhone 5 after my Infuse, but I couldn’t get used to how tiny it was. I did get an XS Max, and I’m loving it’s size(and all the games that are still iOS exclusive), but I’m keeping my Moto Z Play since it’s still a really solid phone and lasts a looong time. Perfect travel phone, I just missed waterproofing and having a great camera.

Bad luck in the sense of me completely destroying the screen lol I actually have always liked Samsung I tend to go back to Samsung every 2-3 versions
Ah makes sense.

Is it really worth getting a phone 3-4x more expensive than the xiaomi though?

I assume it runs OK, and takes ok photos?

Really wish we got some of the xiaomi stuff here in the states with proper band support.

Would have gotten a poco haha

my android list is super long, but my first android phone was lg's first android phone (lg gw620) and htc dream. My favorite was htc desire (aka nexus one) and desire z ( that sliding keyboard was so awesome).

My list is super short

Moto g (1st gen)
Moto x (2nd gen) was stolen :(
Oneplus 3T (current phone)

I love that moto x, the design was so nice
The active display Was amazing, almost pure android.
Once time the phone fell off from a 2nd floor and there were hardly any marks on the edge
How I miss the old Motorola

I have a really long list that I won't bother to list including every Nexus but the original and the S. Lots of Motos, HTCs and Samsung's.

My top 5:
Nexus 4
Galaxy Nexus GSM
HTC Incredible 2
Pixel 2
Pixel C

My worst 5:
Nexus 9
Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 2012 (post lollipop)
HTC Thunderbolt
Nexus 5x