Android |OT| I called the death of 3.5mm

Yaaaaaay, I dropped my phone and despite no damage it clicks loudly if I press it from both front and back at the same time, on the bottom right hand side of the frame. On the possitive side though, MIUI 10 just dropped, and its like imitating Pie on Oreo. Default media volume control and everything. Oh and I can do this too:
Ignore the crappy FPS and lag for the recent app draw, screen recording sucks on low end SoCs. I had gestures before, but now the drag inwards gesture supports instant app switching between the last two which is great for going to YT and coming back here to post a vid. I guess the multi window recent apps and bubbly notification shade is also a plus.

In terms of main devices and not backupphones:

HTC Droid Incredible (given to me by my mom)
Verizon Galaxy Nexus (first smartphone I purchased with my own money)
HTC One M7
Xperia Z3 Compact
US Galaxy S7 (lost it so decided to get an S7 Edge)
Int'l Galaxy S7 Edge
US Galaxy S9+

Tablets:
HP Touchpad (with Android ROM + Web OS dual boot)
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Tab S2 (8 inch)
Android Fire HD 10 (2017)

All of my phones have been pretty much amazing for different reasons. I always do a ton of research before buying so I knew what I was getting. For instance I knew the Xperia would deliver the best ever battery life that anyone's ever seen.

I chose an HTC One over a Galaxy S2 and I think I made the right decision. It was the only phone I had ever gotten where people in the streets asked me what phone it was. They knew what's up.

I don't think the Galaxy Nexus counts as a real Samsung experience so I never really got a Samsung device until the softwaes got to a level that I was fine with. Ever since then I've stuck with their phones because they have the best hardware and have actually made meaningful improvements to their software that fanboys will never care to understand because they are trapped in pre-2016.

For tablets, I have a rule to never spend more than a certain amount for an Android tablet. It's only a convenience device so it's stupid to me to drop a ton of cash on it.

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to answer to the phones list!

Samsung Galaxy Spica (one of the earliest Android models, it got me on the custom ROM scene pretty fast for obvious reasons)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro (loved the physical keyboard, but I smashed the screen and I had to replace it with a...)
Sony Ericsson Xperia U (another phone that had to be custom ROM'd in order to be usable)
Nexus 4 (that I rode until I couldn't take the lousy battery life anymore and then I got a second hand...)
LG G2 (which I loved but unfortunately got it wet and had to replace it with a...)
LG G4 (my first proper flagship! and the worst 400€ ever spent. After I got it repaired for the first time after it bootlooped I got rid of it like it was hot shit before it dropped in value even further)
Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro (got it as a cheap backup of the G4 while it was being repaired, ended up loving it because it was the first time in my life I saw 8+ hours SOT and stuck with it as a main phone for almost a year, but the camera was shit and I really wanted NFC back so I got a...)
Xiaomi Mi 5 (loved it, but 3000 mAh battery and a SD820 only get you so far after a year and a half of use so I decided to go back to the 4000mAh + SD6xx life and treated myself a...)
Nokia 7 Plus (current phone)

Moto x was definitely the (last?) phone that made me say holy shit
That Honor goes to the LG V20. I really wish we got the Q8 over here, which was basically a V20 Mini. Last all metal flagship instead of a glass sandwhich, crazy feature set, and the second screen is superior to the notch craze.

Ah makes sense.

Is it really worth getting a phone 3-4x more expensive than the xiaomi though?

I assume it runs OK, and takes ok photos?

Really wish we got some of the xiaomi stuff here in the states with proper band support.

Would have gotten a poco haha
Probably not lol. For what I use the phone spending so much is a waste.

Been on iPhone for years.

Axon 7 was the phone that brought me back. $400+$80 gift card for all that functionality.

Still had a 6s plus for a few years, until I gave it to my mom.
Ah the Axon 7. That phone was a proper Unicorn. Great specs, great price, and it wasn't completely shit on the UX side. It also had a very unique design. Shame that the Axon 9 Pro is a complete whatever of a device.
https://m.gsmarena.com/zte_axon_9_pro_hands_on-review-1816.php

Probably not lol. For what I use the phone spending so much is a waste.
Then you made the right choice. Mostly. I would buy an A2 in a heartbeat myself with the 128GB model priced at 280+shipping, but good lord is that lack of a 3.5mm jack jack killing me. Its that important that I would shell out the extra 70 Euros for the Nokia 7 Plus, despite it being one Android Version behind.

Disappointed the 6T isnt using a triple cam.
I find this post a little bit weird when the single-cam Pixels are still unmatched in most scenarios. Either get better post-processing or put a bigger sensor. Anything else besides tele/wide extra cameras is definitely a gimmick, and even the wide/tele are a little bit on the gimmicky side. So far I've only used the tele in my Nokia 7 Plus a couple of times to take pics of concerts but that's all.

First Android I got for regular use is the S8+.

I had seen previous phones, asked friends and checked, but I went to Windows Phone 7 because I got an unicorn Dell Venue Pro back then when Android was still on 2.3. I had gotten an original iPhone to get in the unlimited data plan back then.

Before that, I had been using Nokia Symbian phones. N75, N97mini, E71, and even an E6.

I find this post a little bit weird when the single-cam Pixels are still unmatched in most scenarios. Either get better post-processing or put a bigger sensor. Anything else besides tele/wide extra cameras is definitely a gimmick, and even the wide/tele are a little bit on the gimmicky side. So far I've only used the tele in my Nokia 7 Plus a couple of times to take pics of concerts but that's all.
The pixel is an anomaly. No company is going to invest the same way Google is for their single camera. I used a P20 Pro and really enjoyed it. I would also love to use wide/tele more often.

I'm going to forget some phones I'm sure, but on Android I owned :

Nexus 1
HTC M8
LG G4
Galaxy s6
Note 4 I think
ZTE Axon 7
S8
Note 9

Windows Phone
Lumia 900, 920, 930, 1020
LG slider can't remember the name
Samsung can't remember the name

Apple 3gs, SE, 7

Motorola RAZR
Sidekick
Nokia N95
iPhone
Blackberry Curve 8900
Blackberry Bold 9930
LG/T-Mobile G1
Blackberry Storm
Motorola Droid
HTC Incredible
Nexus One
HTC EVO 4G
iPhone 4
Galaxy S2
HTC Thunderbolt (UGH)
Note 2
Galaxy Nexus
iPhone 5
HTC One M7
Note 4
iPhone 6
Galaxy S7 Edge
iPhone 7 Plus
Galaxy S8
iPhone X

Pretty sure that was the order but could be off. Yeah I'm a phone junkie.

Looking to get on OnePlus for the first time with 6T and maybe a XS Max.

https://m.gsmarena.com/oppo_realme_2_pro-review-1828.php

Plastic build and Micro USB, but that Ice Blue is oure sex, and SD660 performance on the cheap with no cut corners beyond NFC is a great offering.
Ugh, I hate how in affordable Chinese phones NFC is the feature that always gets the shaft. I understand that QR codes are the thing for mobile payments there so NFC only makes sense for flagship phones (and just in order to be considered "complete") but still, I doubt it's so costly.

Also LOL @ the "Realme" sub-brand trying to piggy ride on Xiaomi's "Redmi" brand playing on phonetic confusion and using the cursive-like "a" besides the "l" to loosely look like a "d". China really don't fucking care.

So my list on Android is:

Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy S3
Oneplus One
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S8

So pretty short, but all good. The S3 was because I broke the Xperia Z lol

Looks like the One Plus 6t is getting a 10% battery bump. Really wish that they included the headphone jack in this one and that they would have made their move next year instead.

The OLED panel on the XZ3: it's good:

This is Sony’s first ever OLED display, and it’s fair to say the fanfare surrounding it is merited. It’s a gorgeous, bright panel, 6 inches diagonally with a QHD+ resolution of 2880x1440. That may be overkill on a screen of this size, but with accurate colors and HDR upscaling capabilities, everything you look at on the XZ3 looks incredible. The display here is miles better than the LG-made panel on the Pixel 2 XL, and it would seem to hold up well against those made by Samsung for its flagships like the S9 and Note9. I found the default settings to my liking, but there is also a Professional mode for authentic color and contrast or Super-vivid mode for those who prefer more pop. The white balance can also be customized.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...-years-mediocrity-sony-finally-ready-compete/

No lie, I'm impressed with their first OLED screen