Android |OT| I called the death of 3.5mm

I went ahead and bought another ShieldTV thanks to that eBay coupon. Opted to go for the one with a controller this time. Not going to get much use out of it (probably), but the coupon saved me $30 and it gives me another controller to use when i bring the box with me to friends homes or on vacation when i want to play some quick and simple video games.

One less controller to have to pair back to a console or PC.

So my LG V20 (I know, its old) has been pretty crappy on battery, especially lately. Should I just go ahead and Root and flash a new ROM? My previous phone was a Oneplus One that lasted me for a good long time

I will try it here.

I won a Honor Play yesterday and I dunno if I should sell it or change it for my current iPhone 6.

My iPhone is still working well but the battery is worn out, the lightning connector has a loose connection and the speakers are bit noisy.

Are there some speed tests or something to see what is the better value for me right now.

Sooner or later I will switch to android phones after all because I simply can’t afford the new iPhones

But is the time right to do now with my win?

My wife has an honor 6x but the camera is really bad for example

My Android list:

1. HTC Wildfire (what a PoS)
  2. Galaxy S3
  3. LG G3
  4. Nexus 6P
  5. OnePlus 3t (6P battery basically died and urgently needed a reliable phone. This felt like a bit of a downgrade)
Currently looking at 6t

Ok thanks for the reply
Try it, worse case scenario: you don't like it and it's free money you can put towards another different phone like a OnePlus or a Nokia.

Edit: btw, Android Pie for Nokia 7 Plus rolling out. It needed a couple extra weeks in the oven but they managed to release it on time (during September as promised). So far it's being released in India, with a staged roll out.

So, awesome, my S7 edge screen is fucked now after a two foot fall (with a case!). Is it worth trying to replace the screen and digitizer and front glass panel? Looking on ebay I'm seeing prices around $200 Canadian for an LCD.

Or should I order something like a OP6, and suffer for a week. I'd get a new one at my carrier but I'd prefer to pay outright. I know the 6t is out soon, so pretty bad timing.

So, awesome, my S7 edge screen is fucked now after a two foot fall (with a case!). Is it worth trying to replace the screen and digitizer and front glass panel? Looking on ebay I'm seeing prices around $200 Canadian for an LCD.

Or should I order something like a OP6, and suffer for a week. I'd get a new one at my carrier but I'd prefer to pay outright. I know the 6t is out soon, so pretty bad timing.
6t won't have the headphone jack.

I wouldn't fix the screen. The S7 is 3 yrs old - that $200 CN could be spent elsewhere. If you don't mind being 1 generation behind the curve, the OP6 is a good choice.

So installed my Honor Play and it is crazy fast compared to my iPhone 6

I know it isn't the best phone at the market and only mid at best but absolutely more than enough for me

You can even consider it superior by virtue of still having the headphone jack ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can't believe you two didn't mention there is (according to unconfirmed leaks) supposed to be a huge camera upgrade to the 6t, which is bar none the critics main complaint about the 6.

.. and it comes out next month and will likely be the same price. And with improvements like the fingerprint reader and ip rating, it's just not smart to not wait for the 6t at this point . I have skin in the game because that's what I'm doing and I need a new phone asap.

I can't believe you two didn't mention there is (according to unconfirmed leaks) supposed to be a huge camera upgrade to the 6t, which is bar none the critics main complaint about the 6.

.. and it comes out next month and will likely be the same price. And with improvements like the fingerprint reader and ip rating, it's just not smart to not wait for the 6t at this point . I have skin in the game because that's what I'm doing and I need a new phone asap.
Fingerprint reader might still be junk. I'm waiting for reviews.

After 7 years I lost my home button. Did anybody find it? Looks like a pill and closes apps at a press. Oh, and there should be an app drawer somewhere under it.

Everything I feared for my Galaxy Nexus got true in 2018!

Apple has a new innovation in 2018. Removing wired charging from the phone, you have to buy the wireless charger or no charging for you!

I'm guessing in 2019, they will remove charging altogether! Every time the battery runs down, you'll have to just buy a new phone!

Super glad that when I plug my OP5T in, I can still charge it. I can't wait for OnePlus to also add this innovation on the OP7 or 7T next year!

Apple has a new innovation in 2018. Removing wired charging from the phone, you have to buy the wireless charger or no charging for you!

I'm guessing in 2019, they will remove charging altogether! Every time the battery runs down, you'll have to just buy a new phone!

Super glad that when I plug my OP5T in, I can still charge it. I can't wait for OnePlus to also add this innovation on the OP7 or 7T next year!
Thank god for Android.

Holy shit is that video annoying. Like he's doing a real crime documentary, uncovering a huge conspiracy.

It's a dumb bug and it will most likely get fixed via software update. It's embarrassing for a company like Apple to ship it in that state but I'm not seeing it as a big deal.

And yes, more people should use wireless charging, especially over night. Good an Apple for bringing it to more people's attention.

Holy shit is that video annoying. Like he's doing a real crime documentary, uncovering a huge conspiracy.

It's a dumb bug and it will most likely get fixed via software update. It's embarrassing for a company like Apple to ship it in that state but I'm not seeing it as a big deal.

And yes, more people should use wireless charging, especially over night. Good an Apple for bringing it to more people's attention.
I find it hilarious that when people can't find any way to downplay the issue, they go after the person presenting the information. This is classic Trump attacking the media tactics.

If it's a software bug, why is it only some phones are affected? I would start by looking at the Lightning ports on the affected phones.

I find it hilarious that when people can't find any way to downplay the issue, they go after the person presenting the information. This is classic Trump attacking the media tactics.

If it's a software bug, why is it only some phones are affected? I would start by looking at the Lightning ports on the affected phones.
It is a real issue and it sucks for the people who are affected but it didn't have to be present it such a bad way. That's my issue with the video. I didn't call fake news on it.

The software part was pure speculation on my end, of course. I was just going from my experience with the Surface Pro 4, where people had issues with the standby mode. It didn't affect everyone but it was fixed via software eventually.

If the issue persists after a month or two, then yeah, get the pitchforks out because that's ridiculous for a device at this price point or any price point, really. But as far as I can tell, there's rarely a big hardware launch without any kind of problem for a number of people.

This is the kind of bug that Apple better have folks working 24 /7 for the fix.

$1000+ Phone can't charge is kinda bad.

Wonder why no other youtuber reported on this in the last few days? Does everyone just charge with wireless now?

Wonder why no other youtuber reported on this in the last few days? Does everyone just charge with wireless now?
No issue here with XS Max...

Also there's an option in the settings fix it. This thing is a none issue.

Last edited:

I picked the XS up and haven't plugged it in yet actually. Now I'm afraid to :p

oh there is a fix already? What is the setting?

Weird this is a configuration.
I think this is referring to the option to disable USB devices (data, not power transmission) when the phone is locked. If so, that's not a fix in my opinion because that feature is pretty baller.

Yeah I got the supervooc version but it has a smaller 3400mah battery. Should be arriving this week. Not feeling the funky blue and red color so I got it in black.
would love to see some tests, like does a normal vooc/dash charger work on it at those speeds? What about QC3 charger. or a USB-C PD charger.

wonder if there is a super vooc car charger option.

The more I use Pie, the more I like its gesture controls. The quick task switcher (sliding right and holding) is extremely responsive, and the variant where you pull more to go to an older task is really satisfying with the haptic feedback. Zero slugginess to it as well.

would love to see some tests, like does a normal vooc/dash charger work on it at those speeds? What about QC3 charger. or a USB-C PD charger.

wonder if there is a super vooc car charger option.
I have a QC3 that i can test with. But the information I gather it say that it need supervooc charger to work.
I had to make sure to get the right region version for I won't need any kind power adaptor.

The Mate RS i had needed an adaptor and it seem to takes very long to charge.
My XZ2 premium seem to charge up pretty quick though.