Anime |OT| Fall 2018 - Puppets Ain't Ever Going Off Model

Asobi Asobase, like Cells at Work is another show that I pretty forgot and stopped watching for no reason even though I enjoyed it.

Should probably finish these two up.

Happy Sugar Life 12

I was never sure if I actually liked this or just enjoyed crazy people being crazy to each other. But now that it's over, I really do see some heart in its characters and plot.

The jump coupled with the ending song really got to me for some reason. Such a sad, crazy, and ultimately tragic way to go out. All for a flawed love. I don't even mind that Shio survived what she shouldn't have. Sometimes logic should take a backseat.

Revue Starlight 12

A show that loved its crazy visuals and heavy-handed metaphors all the way to the end. As it should, giving it a unique identity. Sometimes I'm not sure if going the super friendly route was the best road taken, and I kind of lost track of what was happening near the end, but overall I enjoyed this quite thoroughly.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 01

All right, there wasn't a harem in the first episode so we can give this a few more.

Also, Truck-Kun evolved into Guy With Knife-Kun

Tada-Kun 13 (Final)
This show was interesting. I'll just spoiler the rest since this is recent and some people may not have watched it.
I kinda thought there might have been a sad ending but guess they couldn't do it. The pacing of the show was honestly pretty weird, there was literally no devleopment between Tada and Teresa for the first 7 episodes then it just went into overdrive for the rest of the series. The ending seemed slightly rushed, a few more episodes would have helped. Or less episodes like the one about Nyanko-Big. Also it's weird how Alec and Charles became a thing when Charles never really showed that he felt anything for Alex. Also no resolution for Hinako and Pin-Senpai :(
Overall 7/10.

I think this year was the first time I was ever bummed out by Sentai picking something up and ruining it.

Everything else they've ever got their hands on has been marginal.

Aikatsu Friends 25

I'm mostly surprised at my lack of surprise that big name idols have their own private jets. So if Mio has to fill in for Love Me Tear due to a hurricane, that means Mio had like, a day at most to prepare for the show. And not just one subject, but six detailed and historical activities with masters of their craft who may not be so accommodating to someone rushing to prep everything. And she did it with flying colors. Mio truly is the top idol. Meanwhile Aine gets to pig out. She's the lucky one. Directors with a particular vision are an ass to deal with. Mio has got to be mentally exhausted after all the prep and actually doing the show, but having to deal with a surprise hostile guest after all that is a lot to expect of someone when she's already stretching herself. Pulling that off requires the Zone. This is either really good for her, or if you believe the scary music, she's catching Yume's Rainbow Cancer. Could be Friends's most interesting plot point thus far.

OT thread test post for Thunderbolt Fantasy S2, look good?

EDIT: Also thoughts on title? Leaning toward "Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 |OT| Yapping about swords once again"

Two years almost to the day after being announced at the end of season 1, the wuxia puppet show that took the world by storm has returned.

A primer first to sell you on Thunderbolt Fantasy, if you've never seen or heard of this show before. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a show created, supervised, and written by Gen Urobuchi. Gen Urobuchi has had a prolific career over the past 18 or so years, more recently he's been famous for writing some of the most popular and award winning-est original anime of the last decade. One day Gen Urobuchi was in Taiwan for a convention and came across Pili's booth there. Pili is a wuxia puppet show that's been running in Taiwan since 1985 and is more famous overseas for its bastardized edited version, Wulin Warriors.

Gen Urobuchi saw this and thought to himself "this is the coolest thing ever", bought a bunch of DVDs, and took them back to Japan to watch them. Then he showed them to all his buddies at Nitro+, the company he works for and serves as vice president of. This outburst of enthusiasm for Taiwanese puppetry made it back to the creators of Pili, several of whom were fans of Urobuchi. Both parties ended up reaching out to each other at about the same time, looking for a way they could possibly work on something together, and Thunderbolt Fantasy was born.

The first season of Thunderbolt Fantasy is a show about a wanderer who can do magic kung fu stuff, as he inadvertently and unenthusiastically becomes involved with an enigmatic schemer and an innocent priestess to take back a piece of said priestess' legendary holy sword from an evil group of people who also do magic kung fu stuff, led by a guy who is super into magic swords. Along the way they recruit various other characters to help them infiltrate the evil group's base to steal back the missing piece of the sword. It's all very straightforward (by Urobuchi's own admission, since this sort of show is new to Japan), at least until halfway through where the show starts to play with your expectations.

Thunderbolt Fantasy has, despite its simple premise, some of the most compelling characters to come out of any show in the greater Japanese anime/manga/game industry in the last few years. It has music by Hiroyuki Sawano, turning in some of his best work ever with not a single "oh god why did you make this" track in sight. It has some of the biggest names in Japanese voice acting in lead roles. The script is full of wit and charm, and can even be surprisingly deep at times. It has a character who calls himself the "Screaming Phoenix Killer".

Also it's got cool magic sword (and other weapon) fights, way cooler than you would possibly expect from a puppet show. Please observe the following GIFs that I stole from this thread over here.

And now that you've presumably gone and watched all of season 1, now you can post in this thread about how much you love wuxia puppets and how cool season 2 is. Cause my god, that was a cool opening episode. Any posts in this thread about the opening episode of season 2 will, by nature, probably spoil season 1. Please watch season 1 first before continuing.

Season 2 of Thunderbolt Fantasy picks up directly after the end of season 1. The lead character, Shāng Bù Huàn the Edgeless Blade, attempts to finally finish his task that he revealed at the end of season 1 (and would be massive spoilers to post here, seriously go watch season 1 first). However, old foes from his home country come calling to cause trouble for him. Stuck between the machinations of a corrupt government official and an even more powerful evil magic kung fu organization than the one in season 1, Shang will need the help of companions new and old to stand against them. Also there will presumably be more schemes, subterfuge, swords, and awesome scenes of puppets being brutalized to death.

Last edited:
Re TF OT, perhaps a brief character and location guide. Those mandarin sounding names are super confusing. Took me a while to remember Dong li is a country, thought it was a dude at first heh.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 01

I was counting on the glasses guy to clash with Enigmatic Gale and lo, he appears striking poses. Laughed so hard.

I thought the guitar guy was gonna be a baddie, this is interesting.

I thought this was interesting (take from animedub reddit)

short of it, The Studio behind the A.I.C.O. Incarnation Dub is No Longer Likely to be Used by Netflix again

That time I got reincarnated into a slime is by far my most anticipated anime. I LOVE he light novel. That first episode was so well done, I hope they can keep up that quality throughout.