Assassin’s Creed Odyssey |OT| Ἄνδρα ἢ γυναῖκα μοι ἔννεπε, Μοῦσα

I've watched several videos reviews and man it's looking good. Seems like it has all the changes and improvements it need. Origins already was a big improvement over the previous games (of which I never managed to finish Unity and Syndicate because of AC fatigue) with a actual fun as hell combat system, it's clear that this one is adding even more. I love RPGs and I find the RPG elements a very welcome addition to AC.

I watched ACGs review and he said he never really got bored during his playthrough. Always something to do and always fun. Kudos Ubi. During E3 I didn't think it would end up like this with so much praise from the media. I will eventually buy this game, but first I need to finish Origins and that won't be until I am done with RDR2, which is gonna take a long ass time.

But it's great to see this, because after Syndicate I wasn't sure how they were gonna continue the franchise without it being a copy of the previous games. No AC next year probably means Watch Dogs 3, that is something I personally can't wait to see what they are cooking up for that. But it's great to see Ubi doing this good again.

Not sure I'm getting the HUD settings to my liking. I really, really want a compass view that doesn't have the "?" marks and the like. I just want to orient myself N,S,E, or W. I also wish I could permanently hide those markers on the world map. Instead it seems like that setting is reset after every play session.

Also, so far Exploration Mode seems a mixed bag. The game gives detailed directions (ie south of the mountain, etc) yet I still get a world quest marker showing the location which seems counter-productive.

There was a very early quest that seemed to be nailing exploration mode and then they just made it worthless (Spoilers for a Level 2 quest):

Investigating the lumber thieves and each clue gives you detailed info on where the bandit camp is (ie to the west of the lumberyard and no more than 250m away. Awesome! Except you pretty much immediately get the eagle prompt which just pinpoints the exact location.

Hoping I can find a happy medium here.

I cant believe im so hyped to play this tomorrow after being so over origins.

one of the biggest things making this look so much better is the character dialog in the quests. It got really old talking to generic egyptian NPC every 5 minutes when you start a side quest in origins. Everyone here looks so much more distinct and detailed

Not sure I'm getting the HUD settings to my liking. I really, really want a compass view that doesn't have the "?" marks and the like. I just want to orient myself N,S,E, or W. I also wish I could permanently hide those markers on the world map. Instead it seems like that setting is reset after every play session.

Also, so far Exploration Mode seems a mixed bag. The game gives detailed directions (ie south of the mountain, etc) yet I still get a world quest marker showing the location which seems counter-productive.

There was a very early quest that seemed to be nailing exploration mode and then they just made it worthless (Spoilers for a Level 2 quest):

Investigating the lumber thieves and each clue gives you detailed info on where the bandit camp is (ie to the west of the lumberyard and no more than 250m away. Awesome! Except you pretty much immediately get the eagle prompt which just pinpoints the exact location.

Hoping I can find a happy medium here.
It should only be giving you the quest marker if you're in the immediate region of the quest, right?

Only played for a couple of hours but the controls feel much better than Origins, even the eagle feels more responsive. I didn’t even have any particular complaints about Origins’ controls but there’s clearly more polish here.

A shame there doesn’t seem to be a way to lock the camera behind Kassandra during combat like Origins, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The lack of shield already creates a very different feel to the fighting.

Can’t wait to be able to sink some serious time in, I can already tell I’m going to love it.

Great news about the control and character movement being smoother here. On 1X Origins always felt sluggish to me even if it wasn't necessarily dropping frames.

What does it mean when the dialogue option has one of those balancing scales next to it?
That's a good question, 50 hours and I couldn't figure out a definitive answer. Maybe it's meant to be a bartering kind of response. Maybe those responses factor in other dialogue choices and take the conversation positively or negatively depending on your previous choices.

I have a blind king dlc code on Xbox that I don’t need (Amazon sent me ...?! )

Anyway I can’t find the free dlc which we got from ubi site. Any idea ?

What does it mean when the dialogue option has one of those balancing scales next to it?
Icons denote major choices. The scales seem to denote branching choices where murder or love isn't the outcome. Usually they come up in in situations where you lie about retrieving a specific item, so you can keep it.

It should only be giving you the quest marker if you're in the immediate region of the quest, right?
Maybe it's because the opening island is small but I pretty much have them continuously.

For example when I got the quest to hit the bandit camp at the beach I had a quest marker on screen telling me where to go. When I was done with that the marker updated to show me the exact location of the shop to visit to collect the debt. When I picked up the lumber quest there was an immediate marker to the lumber yard, etc.

Anyone starting on Hard difficulty? That is how I played Origins—was difficult at first, but as you leveled up, acquired better gear, and became accustomed to the combat it really wasn’t an issue.

Anyone else preorder digitally from bestbuy? I had a moment of weakness and enough on a gift card to get the ultimate edition but I’m not sure I’ll get my code in time via email (I ordered it about an hour ago). I’m on the hype train for tonight but hopefully the train didn’t already leave the station :(

Anyone starting on Hard difficulty? That is how I played Origins—was difficult at first, but as you leveled up, acquired better gear, and became accustomed to the combat it really wasn’t an issue.
Playing on nightmare,seems fine enough if you buy gear every couple levels. Found weapon choice pretty important too. Haven’t played origins so no reference point tho

Anyone else preorder digitally from bestbuy? I had a moment of weakness and enough on a gift card to get the ultimate edition but I’m not sure I’ll get my code in time via email (I ordered it about an hour ago). I’m on the hype train for tonight but hopefully the train didn’t already leave the station :(
I usually just find mine in my online account before I ever get an email about it.

Serious question: I haven't played an Ass Creed game since Revelations. Is the series still progressing the modern day story line? I actually liked the modern story better than any of the past ones. Also, how have they explained why mythological creature are in this new game?

Serious question: I haven't played an Ass Creed game since Revelations. Is the series still progressing the modern day story line? I actually liked the modern story better than any of the past ones. Also, how have they explained why mythological creature are in this new game?
no that story is long burried, and the modern stuff is barely in the game these days. Origin had like... 20 minutes overall of modern stuff in the 100 hours or whatever it took to do everything.

I've watched several videos reviews and man it's looking good. Seems like it has all the changes and improvements it need. Origins already was a big improvement over the previous games (of which I never managed to finish Unity and Syndicate because of AC fatigue) with a actual fun as hell combat system, it's clear that this one is adding even more. I love RPGs and I find the RPG elements a very welcome addition to AC.

I watched ACGs review and he said he never really got bored during his playthrough. Always something to do and always fun. Kudos Ubi. During E3 I didn't think it would end up like this with so much praise from the media. I will eventually buy this game, but first I need to finish Origins and that won't be until I am done with RDR2, which is gonna take a long ass time.

But it's great to see this, because after Syndicate I wasn't sure how they were gonna continue the franchise without it being a copy of the previous games. No AC next year probably means Watch Dogs 3, that is something I personally can't wait to see what they are cooking up for that. But it's great to see Ubi doing this good again.
Ya I admit I really did expect to just get bored, not that it would be bad but just...I don't know sort of drab in my emotional connection to what I was doing. But the number of systems, they way you can handle things, it just never dropped to that point.

Same here. I was somewhat interested in Origins but Odyssey's setting really tickles my fancy.

It's a shame it's sandwiched between the release of Spider-man and RDR2, so I'll pick this up in a few months to avoid an openworld overdose.
Me too...I'm dedicating myself to finishing Horizon before I play Spiderman or RDR but I can see myself putting some time into this. I really loved Black Flag so the greek ships seem like a great add to me: especially since sharks eat dead bodies.

I thought this game would unlock at 12 EST on PSN but my timer says it will be 1 EST when it unlocks.

Kinda disappointing, was hoping to get a little play in before bed.

no that story is long burried, and the modern stuff is barely in the game these days. Origin had like... 20 minutes overall of modern stuff in the 100 hours or whatever it took to do everything.
I thought the modern stuff in Origins was awful. Layla was completely unlikeable. It felt so tacked on.

its absolute bullshit that Ubisoft delays the Steam version of the game until tomorrow morning. Valve should wake up and demand release parity from every publisher or have them kick rocks.

I thought the modern stuff in Origins was awful. Layla was completely unlikeable. It felt so tacked on.
It's the worst it has ever been.

Apparently, per reddit, this game deals with the modern stuff/mythology of the series the most and the best it has been in several games.