Assassin’s Creed Odyssey |OT| Ἄνδρα ἢ γυναῖκα μοι ἔννεπε, Μοῦσαt

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn’t get into Origins AT ALL but I’ve totally loved the first 2.5 hours of Odyssey.

Much more likable hero (Kassandra in my case), streamlined questing that removes a lot of the bullshit without feeling handhold-y. Better voice acting.

And most importantly a MUCH better onboardinng experience into this world, it’s gameplay systems, and its characters. Still can’t get over how bad Origins’ opening was.
Thanks for your impressions. This is pretty much how I felt about origins.

Oct 28, 2017
Kassandra is A+ for protagonist material so far. Enjoying the game a lot more than Origins. No more bland deserts, woo!
I get the feeling that they really just want to make a fantasy game. Some of the talents you can choose are just straight up magic.

Oct 26, 2017
England
Kassandra is A+ for protagonist material so far. Enjoying the game a lot more than Origins. No more bland deserts, woo!
I get the feeling that they really just want to make a fantasy game. Some of the talents you can choose are just straight up magic.
What really baffles me is that Ubi own the Might and Magic IP and have been awful at utilizing it. Even the Heroes brand which was insanely popular on PC long after the RPG series floundered. They have all the tools and talent they need for a TES competitor, but seemed to think the AC series would be a better fit for an RPG series?

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE this direction for AC, but it just confuses me that Might and Magic is being handled this badly =P

Oct 28, 2017
I love that half-assed cinematic cam from Origins has been eliminated. The one where it just kind of zooms but isn't a proper cutscene. So far, at least, every single conversation has got the full cutscene treatment.
This is good to hear! That was some beef I had with Origins. Very poor cutscene direction outside of main story beats.

Oct 30, 2017
Man this game is hard to get a stable framerate...

AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8Ghz, NVidia GeForce 1080Ti 11GB, Team Group Pro "8Pack" 16GB 3200MHz RAM, Windows 10 64Bit

1080p - Ultra = 38FPS in benchmark mode - in-game is 60FPS but drops occasionally to 34fps (like stutters)
4K - Ultra = 34FPS in benchmark mode
4K - High = 36FPS in benchmark mode

Game is installed to a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB SSD

grrrr

Oct 27, 2017
Controlling the Predator shot is awkward as hell. You have to hold the button plus move it with the right analog stick. Even though I'd imagine the average player is probably going to do both of those actions with their right thumb. Is there a way to change this or am I doing it wrong or something? Because it feels awful.

Edit: NVM, figured it out, just need to hold RT, I thought I was needing to hold the face button too.

Oct 25, 2017
Controlling the Predator shot is awkward as hell. You have to hold the button plus move it with the right analog stick. Even though I'd imagine the average player is probably going to do both of those actions with their right thumb. Is there a way to change this or am I doing it wrong or something? Because it feels awful.
It confusing at first but you don't have to hold the face button. You press L2+button to zoom in and then you can release the face button and aim it. Press and hold R2 to fire and steer the arrow.

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
That was a quick 4.5 hours.

The visuals are a step above Origins and that game was no slouch. An extra year really shows and the visuals are sharper and the character models are noticeably improved and more diverse. Definitely in the conversation for best water in a video game. It's a stunning game that runs well.

I think Odyssey is going to correct what a lot of people might have fatigued on with Origins which is giving you a much better reason for why you are doing things in the open world. You're working towards a larger goal instead of just checking things off a list or making objective markers turn a different color. There's a storyline reason for it and as of right now that is refreshing and I think it will be a nice change of pace for those that burned out on Origins' gameplay loop.

The exploratory mode might be the elixir for those that hate the sea of a thousand icons that these games have turned in to. You'll find things naturally and through dialogue without being given 50 objective markers right away. Personally, I went with the standard mode because the game is so long and I know I want to 100% it but for those that don't, I think the other mode will be a very welcome change that might alter their perception of the way these games normally transpire.

Kassandra is quickly fantastic. There's a very nice and appropriate sense of humor to this game that I'm really enjoying. It's Witcher-esque in that regard. I'm exhausting all dialogue options so far and enjoying all of it. I had a pretty binary good vs. bad choice that seemed sort of over the top that I hope isn't indicative of the type of choices I will be getting in the future but that's a minor quibble.

Maybe this is just my ignorance of the history this game deals with but it's nice not to know where the story might go right off the bat. The game already set itself up differently than I expected and the 'sides' of the conflict and where Kassandra fits in isn't clear. There's a decent bit of mystery to my eyes so far and that's not normally my expectation going in to an AC game.

Combat seems faster but kind of the same. Have only experimented with about 4 different weapons so far. Not many differences from Origins right now. Stealth is pretty much the same.

Thank you Ubisoft for making helmets off the default decision for conversations.

The hardest thing as this game goes on is going to be balancing fashion versus stats. Fashion winning comfortably right now.

I'm a long time fan of most of the series and I am very content with the gameplay loop of this series more than most people are but I'm more engrossed in this than I thought I'd be at this point and it has surprised me in a couple of different ways. Looking forward to a lot more and if the game can keep the momentum for hours 40 and 50.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Three hours in

I am really, really loving it. Much more so than I was with Origins at the same point. The world just feels so much more alive and I like the charisma of Kassandra a lot more than the relative stoicism of Bayek.

Oct 27, 2017

AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8Ghz, NVidia GeForce 1080Ti 11GB, Team Group Pro "8Pack" 16GB 3200MHz RAM, Windows 10 64Bit

1080p - Ultra = 38FPS in benchmark mode - in-game is 60FPS but drops occasionally to 34fps (like stutters)

grrrr
I got an [email protected] 1080 [email protected]
All setting set to [email protected]
I get 60+ in most cases
When a lot is happening on screen I get 50+

Chaz

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, UK

grrrr
Sounds in line with System Requirements. AC games are usually CPU dependent and this one is either more-so demanding or not as optimized as it should be. Solid 60fps won't be easy to come by.

JaseC

You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
its absolute bullshit that Ubisoft delays the Steam version of the game until tomorrow morning. Valve should wake up and demand release parity from every publisher or have them kick rocks.
Honestly, it's Valve's own fault that that this is happening:

Because Valve refuses to modernise the release process on Steam (automatic unlocks aren't supported in any way, shape or form) and Squeenix doesn't want to babysit the list of countries that are eligible to access the game. I'd hoped that Ubi weaponising the archaic release process to put a feather in Uplay's cap would've spurred Valve into action, but here we hare, more than 18 months later, and nothing has changed.
Valve's argument, if memory serves, is similar: that the release process being a manual one ensures a developer is at the wheel should something go awry. But the thing is, Steam offers everything publishers need to test for and iron out those potential issues prior to launch, so I really don't think there's any actual, legitimate excuse for Valve's aversion to modernising it. The existing process is just terrible all around as it essentially forces users to wait much longer and publishers have to deal with the outrage that ensues when they announce a rolling midnight unlock for PSN/XBL but a single unlock time for Steam. While Steam does support rolling unlocks and there was a time Squeenix did them, I can't blame even multinational publishers for not wanting to bother with the logistical pain of arranging babysitters for the list of eligible countries.

To be perfectly clear, I've no doubt that even if the option of having Steam handle the release of a game did exist, smaller developers like Fatshark would still prefer to stick to a simultaneous unlock time that falls within business hours, and that's fine. It's just frustrating that it doesn't exist at all and Valve shows no signs of wanting to change that despite the adverse impact its absence has on the user experience.
Don't get me wrong: it absolutely is bullshit that Ubi no longer does rolling unlocks on Steam and has made them a Uplay-exclusive perk on the PC side, but it's also not surprising as Valve being such a stick in the mud about the idea of even just partially automating the release process gives publishers like Ubi a convenient excuse to hide behind.

TL;DR: Valve sucks, and Ubi is taking advantage of that.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018
Wait, so if I want to play this today, I have to preorder the EIGHTY FOUR POUNDS version? What on earth? The game is ready, why can't we play? They're locking it off to most of their customers for three days in the hopes of squeezing more money out of them? I was going to buy the game but I absolutely won't now. Fuck that.

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Wait, so if I want to play this today, I have to preorder the EIGHTY FOUR POUNDS version? What on earth? The game is ready, why can't we play? They're locking it off to most of their customers for three days in the hopes of squeezing more money out of them? I was going to buy the game but I absolutely won't now. Fuck that.
Just...wait?

Jun 15, 2018
I'd be more than happy to wait if the general release date for the game was the 5th. However, locking access off to everyone except those who pay for the extraordinarily expensive special editions when the game is ready and finished is scummy business practice and I won't support that. Game looks great, but nope.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Another hour in.

I'm getting all sorts of vibes from this game so far. Like Origins + Black Flag + a little bit of Shadow of Mordor with the Mercenaries and taking over the regions.

It's a great blend.

Oct 30, 2017
I gotta say when I was playing it last night, there were some bits that I went "urmmmm" like when fighting people (within the 1st hour), I was meleeing people and they'd literally shoot across the ground... I swear I hit one with a sword and he flew across the ground about 50ft lol

May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Worth noting that I didn't see a lot of bugs in my 50 hours playing (PS4 Pro here).

The game got stuck on a loading screen ONCE (but the game saves a lot so it was nothing more than a minor inconvenience).

I saw maybe one or two enemies floating in the air.

For one mission characters called me a 'she' (while I played with Alexios).

And thats pretty much it. Not bad for an open world game this big, imo.

As far as the fighting goes, for me its one of the high points in the game. It feels good and its varied thanks to the special moves. I don't use the bow a lot though, only to get a few cheap shots in between when the enemy is far away during a fight because Ive knocked them far from me. I tried using the special bow moves but they're too akward to do during fights imo. Perhaps it works better when in stealth, but I just one-kill enemies then instead of using the bow.

Also I want to hear what you all think of the different islands when you get further in the game. Personally, I loved the islands way more than mainland. I thought mainland appearances, apart from a nice city here and there, were a bit samey, but the islands are imo very diverse. Each time I got to a new island, with its own look, vibe and missions, it felt like a small, contained open world waiting to be explored. Loved it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Another hour in.

I'm getting all sorts of vibes from this game so far. Like Origins + Black Flag + a little bit of Shadow of Mordor with the Mercenaries and taking over the regions.

It's a great blend.
I played up to a bit after the main title before stopping for the night. At level 9, and I'm pretty sure I cleared everything on the first island. Really enjoying it more than I thought I would, even more than Origins, which I loved. The combat is a little different than in the last game, but there's definitely a lot of familiarity having played Origins and Black Flag.

Loving Kassandra as the main character.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds in line with System Requirements. AC games are usually CPU dependent and this one is either more-so demanding or not as optimized as it should be. Solid 60fps won't be easy to come by.
Odyssey has a Ryzen optimized branding when the game is loading

Oct 31, 2017
I got it for 70 quid off Amazon. Considering it contains the season pass that's not bad at all.

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I have gotten quite a bit funky ragdoll physics when PC or NPC dies. Good bit of fun when you fly to orbit or gain insane momentum our of nowhere and fly horizontally to wall at 2000 km/h.

Talking combat and dying. I think I like most single hand swords as melee weapon. Good damage, good speed of attacks, easier to cancel out of combos than with e.g. spears etc.

Nov 2, 2017
I'd be more than happy to wait if the general release date for the game was the 5th. However, locking access off to everyone except those who pay for the extraordinarily expensive special editions when the game is ready and finished is scummy business practice and I won't support that. Game looks great, but nope.
Yeah it's lame but companies have been pulling this crap with ultimate editions for several years now and people are willing to pay.

Oct 25, 2017
What really baffles me is that Ubi own the Might and Magic IP and have been awful at utilizing it. Even the Heroes brand which was insanely popular on PC long after the RPG series floundered. They have all the tools and talent they need for a TES competitor, but seemed to think the AC series would be a better fit for an RPG series?

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE this direction for AC, but it just confuses me that Might and Magic is being handled this badly =P
I forgot they had the Might & Magic IP. I really want Ubi to go full on fantasy open world RPG. Hopefully, the success of Odyssey will spur them towards that, whether with M&M or a new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally hit level 5 and the merc still pwned me. Sooon....
I beat him at level 4, but only because he ambushed me while I was looking for one of those Ainigmata Ostraka puzzles. Took a lot of kiting and spartan kicks.

Check his weaknesses on the merc screen. He takes more damage from assassination attacks and ranged attacks.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's lame but companies have been pulling this crap with ultimate editions for several years now and people are willing to pay.
Whilst I dont think we should support this shit, because it easily gets out of hand. They were quite a few ways to get the gold edition (seasonpass+game) for £60-65, which is a steal in the UK considering most places will sell the game for £50.

Oct 30, 2017
Same thing with Forza. Rubs me the wrong way, yeah.