Berserk |OT| - A new ERA for the Band of the Hawk

Just bought the first 10 volumes from Amazon, i litterally have no idea what this manga is about (outside of some horse rape thimgy and a dude with a giantsword) but i've been tempted to start it for a long ass time, i'm hyped
Nice. As others have said it, the first three volumes aren't representative of what Berserk is going to be, that was kinda a test-run so to speak as the tone and story changes/expands after that with the Golden Age arc.
Speaking of Golden Age arc, when you are nearing the end of your current volumes (vol 10) you better get the next three because that is where Berserk hits its one of the major climaxes and turning points of the series you don't want to miss or hold off.

Don't make the same mistake as me and judge the series on the first volume.

Ten volumes is plenty to understand why the series is so beloved, though.
I've gotten a number of people into the manga and always warned them that the first few volumes aren't the greatest. But every person I've given that heads up to said they loved those issues too. So maybe it's just going into them with the right expectations. I mean, most ppl I know haven't heard of Beserk to begin with

To be honest if they can't make it through the first few volumes they aren't gonna make it through The Lost Children and Tower of Conviction arcs. Yeah it's definitely Miura feeling things out in those first few arcs but it's still something you're going to see a lot more of later but with incredible improved art and far more honed story telling and characterization.

Last edited:
Just bought the first 10 volumes from Amazon, i litterally have no idea what this manga is about (outside of some horse rape thimgy and a dude with a giantsword) but i've been tempted to start it for a long ass time, i'm hyped
Congrats on discovering the best of the best when it comes to fiction. The only downside is that you won't find anything better.

With Netflix investing more and more into anime and adult oriented western animation as well as scifi and fantasy properties I hope maybe one day they give us a Berserk adaptation that looks at least this good.

With Netflix investing more and more into anime and adult oriented western animation as well as scifi and fantasy properties I hope maybe one day they give us a Berserk adaptation that looks at least this good.

I would love that and considering what Netflix puts out on animation (in general) there is some hope that that may happen (one can dream).

Hmm, that sounds like a good time. I guess any future adaptation is basically screwed since Golden Age has been done so many times at this point tho

Also, are we on hiatus? I thought the point of those baby chapters was to reduce the wait.
The 16-17 anime is rubbish. Garbage CG! I don’t know if it’s a hiatus because mr.miura is always fucking around..

So I saw the 1997 anime the other month and really enjoyed it. The kind of anime you can recommend to someone without them thinking you should be on a watchlist. It holds up fine graphically, kind of like how Bebop does (although Bebop animation is better).

Just the other night I finished the 3rd movie covering the same arc. The animation is okay, a bit offensive in places, but it's okay. As the voice acting is the same and the movies do a decent job covering the anime they were enjoyable!

Then last night I tried to watch some of the 2016 anime...

WHAT THE FUCK?

No, I haven't read any manga, just sharing this as a Berserk noob who quite liked the series when I finally got around to seeing it. I cannot carry on with the new anime though, it's that bad.

I guess this is where people say if you still want to see more of Berserk read the manga. I might try, but when it comes to reading I've never gotten into "comic books". Always just preferred to read plain old text.

So I saw the 1997 anime the other month and really enjoyed it. The kind of anime you can recommend to someone without them thinking you should be on a watchlist. It holds up fine graphically, kind of like how Bebop does (although Bebop animation is better).

Just the other night I finished the 3rd movie covering the same arc. The animation is okay, a bit offensive in places, but it's okay. As the voice acting is the same and the movies do a decent job covering the anime they were enjoyable!

Then last night I tried to watch some of the 2016 anime...

WHAT THE FUCK?

No, I haven't read any manga, just sharing this as a Berserk noob who quite liked the series when I finally got around to seeing it. I cannot carry on with the new anime though, it's that bad.

I guess this is where people say if you still want to see more of Berserk read the manga. I might try, but when it comes to reading I've never gotten into "comic books". Always just preferred to read plain old text.
If you liked the 1997 anime I highly recommend the manga. The art is incredible and it's really the only way to get the story. I'd also suggest reading from the beginning as the adaptations did have to skip some things to meet their runtime/episode count targets, but others might disagree. Even if you aren't into comics, it's a really great read. I'm fairly new to the series myself, but I've really enjoyed my time with it.

If you liked the 1997 anime I highly recommend the manga. The art is incredible and it's really the only way to get the story. I'd also suggest reading from the beginning as the adaptations did have to skip some things to meet their runtime/episode count targets, but others might disagree. Even if you aren't into comics, it's a really great read. I'm fairly new to the series myself, but I've really enjoyed my time with it.
Thanks I might look into it. I'd be surprised if the new anime continues if it's this bad all the way through the 2017 release as well.

You are way past that point if you watched the 2016 anime already!:P
And yes, you should absolutely read the manga from the very first page. Doesn't matter if you are not a comic book fan. It's irrelevant when you are put in front of a work with Berserk's calibre.

I've seen that gif ages ago and thought maybe it's a one-off but the whole thing stinks. From the animation to the art style, it's all awful.

They should just have carried on the movie(s) animation if anything, it was serviceable.
Yeah the ideal scenario would be a Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon video adaptation of Berserk. Bonus would be Vinland Saga, that show never had an adaptation.

You are way past that point if you watched the 2016 anime already!:P
And yes, you should absolutely read the manga from the very first page. Doesn't matter if you are not a comic book fan. It's irrelevant when you are put in front of a work with Berserk's calibre.
Does it even get slightly better in 2017? It's that bad I genuinely can't keep watching.

I've bought the first 6 volumes. Was only going to buy 3 but I seen the first few are like a "flash forward" like how the anime starts.

As I've cut down on my vinyl expenditure I didn't mind dropping a bit on some "comics". Shame Berserk isn't done in colour but it seems most manga isn't. There's soo many volumes though lol, could get expensive.

Anyway I'll see if I like them! Prefer reading a book but let's see. I hate reading on digital devices (tablets and laptops). I usually read late at night before going to sleep and I've never liked screens before bed.

Two of my mates are big comic collectors (no Berserk, more Western superhero stuff) so I guess everyone just has their own interests. I do appreciate good artwork hence why I like collecting vinyl. Just with stories I've always preferred traditional reading experiences or film/TV.

Edit: I've read Berserk is right to left reading as well lol. That'll take a bit to get used to.

I've bought the first 6 volumes. Was only going to buy 3 but I seen the first few are like a "flash forward" like how the anime starts.

As I've cut down on my vinyl expenditure I didn't mind dropping a bit on some "comics". Shame Berserk isn't done in colour but it seems most manga isn't. There's soo many volumes though lol, could get expensive.

Anyway I'll see if I like them! Prefer reading a book but let's see. I hate reading on digital devices (tablets and laptops). I usually read late at night before going to sleep and I've never liked screens before bed.

Two of my mates are big comic collectors (no Berserk, more Western superhero stuff) so I guess everyone just has their own interests. I do appreciate good artwork hence why I like collecting vinyl. Just with stories I've always preferred traditional reading experiences or film/TV.

Edit: I've read Berserk is right to left reading as well lol. That'll take a bit to get used to.
Berserk is one of those mangas where it being black and white fits the mood better to be honest.