Berserk |OT| - A new ERA for the Band of the Hawk

He probably does like it, but I think there's a purpose here. On the second page of this chapter:

"I will pave the way and keep advancing."

There's gotta be some goal here. (And from a storyline perspective, there better be! haha)
We already know something is happening. Griffith is sending his forces around to destroy all the Spirit Trees in the world like the one Flora lived in. The Spirit Trees seem to sap power from the world tree itself and the idea seems to be to destroy them all to empower the World Tree which of course towers over Falconia. Then there is gathering everyone left alive that they can into a single location and we often know that leads to nothing good in the Berserk universe especially when the God Hand are involved.

We already know something is happening. Griffith is sending his forces around to destroy all the Spirit Trees in the world like the one Flora lived in. The Spirit Trees seem to sap power from the world tree itself and the idea seems to be to destroy them all to empower the World Tree which of course towers over Falconia. Then there is gathering everyone left alive that they can into a single location and we often know that leads to nothing good in the Berserk universe especially when the God Hand are involved.
"I'm not happy being a demigod, I want to be THE GOD." What's even beyond Godhand lol.

Oof, yeah, that seems like a setup for a catastrophe of tremendous scale.

Damn.

I really hope all the cool characters still living in Falconia gets out. Griffith the bitch can't be trusted not to sacrifice the whole city.

I don't think Griffith will sacrifice the people of Falconia. Honestly it doesn't look like he cares about them like he did for the band of the hawk, not to mention they're pretty much mixed in with the demons now.

I don't think Griffith will sacrifice the people of Falconia. Honestly it doesn't look like he cares about them like he did for the band of the hawk, not to mention they're pretty much mixed in with the demons now.
He'd sacrifice his kingdom, the people being apart of it. His entire dream was to rule a kingdom and now he has it. What better thing to sacrifice.

No date for the next chapter.

Anyway, chapter 357...oh man, fast travel unlocked? Elfhelm, you're officially on red alert!

I still haven't forgotten about Isma's Mother giving Isma that seashell necklace to use for help in chapter 342! An Elfhelm sneak attack seems pretty imminent at this point.

I guess we've also more than likely figured out how everyone with Guts is now going to leave Elfhelm. A sneak attack from them on Falconia sure would be unexpected and an interesting development...

I was hoping for Casca to be on the cover like in volume 20, but I still love this...a lot! The volume covers have been really great recently! Casca will probably be on one of the posters in the volume anyway.

No date for the next chapter.

Anyway, chapter 357...oh man, fast travel unlocked? Elfhelm, you're officially on red alert!

I still haven't forgotten about Isma's Mother giving Isma that seashell necklace to use for help in chapter 342! An Elfhelm sneak attack seems pretty imminent at this point.

I guess we've also more than likely figured out how everyone with Guts is now going to leave Elfhelm. A sneak attack from them on Falconia sure would be unexpected and an interesting development...
Or Griffith shows up with an apostle army on the doorstep of Skellig.

Farnese -

"Do you remember Guts?"

Entire page of Casca welling up in tears.

And then I welled up in tears.

Man, what a fucking JOURNEY it has been to this point for me. I started Berserk in fall of 2016 after I had picked it up and put it down previously all throughout college.

Then it finally clicked during one attempt that fall. I had gotten to the end of the black swordsman arc. And when Guts found himself in that plane that mirrors the Escher painting facing Femto for the first time, I thought, "This is something special."

Continued to read through the Golden Age. I had to know how this man came to be who he is in present time (I went to college for Creative Writing), and so far, the story points that Miura used in Berserk thus far in my reading were points I really enjoyed.

Golden Age progressed and I started to fall in love. The characterization was on the forefront of the story, and it was being done so well. The action was a spectacle that impressed me like no other in manga thus far. Zodd's first appearance, the development of Casca's (The Queen) character, Griffith's speech to Charlotte that made it's impression on Guts that would ultimately have him make his decision to leave The Band, the building of that bond with Guts and Griffith, the rescue, the introduction of Skull Knight (who is obviously Gaiseric); these were things that captivated and enraptured me.

So it was no wonder that by December 2016 when I reached the eclipse I lost it. I legit went on a binge to collect every published volume of Berserk and read the Golden Age ALL OVER AGAIN.

And I thought there was going to be a dip in quality after that (relatively speaking). I mean, long running series suffer in the long run right?

NAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

While the Golden Age is the cornerstone of this of this series, comparing that masterpiece of an arc to the latter arcs in the manga would do the series a massive disservice.

Where the Black Swordsman Arc was the foundation for the introduction to Guts and Griffith, the Golden Age is the framework for the rest of the series and the development of our core three characters this achievement in comics revolves around.

In every subsequent arc, Miura keeps the same energy and knocks. it. out. the. park. Was there a lull in the story? Probably just after the Golden Age (that small arc in which Guts fights the fairy apostle, but even that's pretty strong).

The man doesn't forget characters introduced earlier in the manga (Laban is an example of this), and they end up serving organically in roles in the later arcs. And it isn't just the characters that are reoccurring, it's also plot elements. The demon child plays an integral role in Femto's incarnation into the physical plane. That's but one example. Silat helping Rickert is another great example.

Miura really knows how to use his characters. None of them feel wasted. And I love that. I loved the conviction arc. Farnese's development has been, imo, excellent!!

But the end of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc is when everything that was introduced beforehand felt like it served the greater story. What an arc finale, right?! The astral plane overlapping with the physical realm thanks to Femto's attack on Ganishka was INCREDIBLE. There were incredible moments before that too, including the apostles fighting alongside the New Band of The Hawk, to my incredulity.

How about the fact that Femto's Falconia is all built on a lie? That everyone believes he's the savior?

God there are just countless moments, little details, little things that are breathtaking in this manga, and all of it just feels so organically done.

My only problem is the fact that Puck the chestnut has been reduced to too many quips post-conviction arc. Remember that time Guts was wandering aimlessly through a dark forest, exhausted from battle, and had Puck to literally save him from bottom-dwelling spirits? Loved that sequence. Wish Puck wasn't as comic-relief heavy as he is now, but really it's no big deal. Got mad love for chestnut.

Anyway, Casca is back and I'm ecstatic. What a two year journey it's been for me with Berserk.

I love these characters, adore Guts and the development he's received, adore this universe, and cannot wait to see how it ends.

Undisputed #1 for me.

Last edited:
Schierke -

"Do you remember Guts?"

Man, what a fucking JOURNEY it has been to this point for me. I started Berserk in fall of 2016 after I had picked it up and put it down previously all throughout college.

Then it finally clicked during one attempt that fall. I had gotten to the end of the black swordsman arc. And when Guts found himself in that plane that mirrors the Escher painting facing Femto for the first time, I thought, "This is something special."

Continued to read through the Golden Age. I had to know how this man came to be who he is in present time (I went to college for Creative Writing), and so far, the story points that Miura used in Berserk thus far in my reading were points I really enjoyed.

Golden Age progressed and I started to fall in love. The characterization was on the forefront of the story, and it was being done so well. The action was a spectacle that impressed me like no other in manga thus far. Zodd's first appearance, the development of Casca's (The Queen) character, Griffith's speech to Charlotte that made it's impression on Guts that would ultimately have him make his decision to leave The Band, the building of that bond with Guts and Griffith, the rescue, the introduction of Skull Knight (who is obviously Gaiseric); these were things that captivated and enraptured me.

So it was no wonder that by December 2016 when I reached the eclipse I lost it. I legit went on a binge to collect every published volume of Berserk and read the Golden Age ALL OVER AGAIN.

And I thought there was going to be a dip in quality after that (relatively speaking). I mean, long running series suffer in the long run right?

NAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

While the Golden Age is the cornerstone of this of this series, comparing that masterpiece of an arc to the latter arcs in the manga would do the series a massive disservice.

Where the Black Swordsman Arc was the foundation for the introduction to Guts and Griffith, the Golden Age is the framework for the rest of the series and the development of our core three characters this achievement in comics revolves around.

In every subsequent arc, Miura keeps the same energy and knocks. it. out. the. park. Was there a lull in the story? Probably just after the Golden Age (that small arc in which Guts fights the fairy apostle, but even that's pretty strong).

The man doesn't forget characters introduced earlier in the manga (Laban is an example of this), and they end up serving organically in roles in the later arcs. And it isn't just the characters that are reoccurring, it's also plot elements. The demon child plays an integral role in Femto's incarnation into the physical plane. That's but one example. Silat helping Rickert is another great example.

Miura really knows how to use his characters. None of them feel wasted. And I love that. I loved the conviction arc. Farnese's development has been, imo, excellent!!

But the end of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc is when everything that was introduced beforehand felt like it served the greater story. What an arc finale, right?! The astral plane overlapping with the physical realm thanks to Femto's attack on Ganishka was INCREDIBLE. There were incredible moments before that too, including the apostles fighting alongside the New Band of The Hawk, to my incredulity.

How about the fact that Femto's Falconia is all built on a lie? That everyone believes he's the savior?

God there are just countless moments, little details, little things that are breathtaking in this manga, and all of it just feels so organically done.

My only problem is the fact that Puck the chestnut has been reduced to too many quips post-conviction arc. Remember that time Guts was wandering aimlessly through a dark forest, exhausted from battle, and had Puck to literally save him from bottom-dwelling spirits? Loved that sequence. Wish Puck wasn't as comic-relief heavy as he is now, but really it's no big deal. Got mad love for chestnut.

Anyway, Casca is back and I'm ecstatic. What a two year journey it's been for me with Berserk.

I love these characters, adore Guts and the development he's received, adore this universe, and cannot wait to see how it ends.

Undisputed #1 for me.
Excellent post. If anything, I think the characterization has improved as the series goes on. The emotional payoff of Casca waking up was and is going to be so damn heavy.

Farnese -

"Do you remember Guts?"

NAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Undisputed #1 for me.
Word for word, I had the same experience and feelings when Guts and Griffith met again in the other dimension during the first arc. Even though I had already seen the 1997 anime, it was quite a shock because I didn't expect I would see them both meet so soon at the start of the story. That along with the rest of the Slug Baron arc planted their final hook in me before I entered the Golden Age in the manga again.

Damn it, I guess I'm gonna reread the Golden Age and Lost Children arcs again. Might be a great time actually to get reacquainted with the old Casca before her chapter drops.

He'd sacrifice his kingdom, the people being apart of it. His entire dream was to rule a kingdom and now he has it. What better thing to sacrifice.
Wait, what reason would Griffith have to sacrifice his kingdom?
Femto is nothing but Griffith's desire to exert power over all given form, so I don't think he would ever just give Falconia up; and what would lead Griffith to sacrifice anything in the first place? He wiped out Ganishka like he was nothing, he shrugged off The Skull Knight's attempt on his life and used it to his advantage. He's on such a ridiculous power level right now that I can't imagine one single thing that could threaten his rule.

Also, to whom would he sacrifice his kingdom? He's a member of the God Hand, it's not like he can offer something up for sacrifice to himself.

I’m sure this has been theorized, but is there a consensus theory around on how Guts is going to match Femto?

Berserker armor isn’t going to be enough.

What about the sword of actuation? Would Guts need to wield that with the Bererker armor? Even then it wouldn’t be enough, imo.

I think the key to matching Femto lies in Becchi.

I’m sure this has been theorized, but is there a consensus theory around on how Guts is going to match Femto?

What about the sword of actuation? Would Guts need to wield that with the Bererker armor? Even then it wouldn’t be enough, imo.

If I'm not mistaken Femto laughed off the sword of actuation.

I dunno if Femto could straight up laugh off the Sword of Actuation. I'd like to think the Skull Knight is a bit stronger than that.

Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if there were really strong astral entities in other dimensions connected to Yggdrasil.

If Guts wants to actually beat Femto he'll probably need the help of the Four Kings of the World since they seem to be the closest to a good version of the godhand. It's either that or moonlight boy somehow has a way to help Guts beat Griffith.

Ah, but of course, the little man.I can see this being it.

Also, I feel like it's inevitable for Guts to take on the rest of the Godhand. Defnitely Slan, Ubik, and the other, at the very least, but not Void.

If Void is going to settle business with anyone, I think it's to be Skull Knight.
If Guts still has to face the other God Hand members then we have a looooong road ahead of us.

I think they’ll either turn on each other or Griffith is gonna kill the rest of them, or strip them of their power at least.

If Guts still has to face the other God Hand members then we have a looooong road ahead of us.

I think they’ll either turn on each other or Griffith is gonna kill the rest of them, or strip them of their power at least.
I like the idea of Griffith turning on them, and I can see it.

I don’t see Guts taking them on in a process of elimination. I do see him taking on Slan, though, at least.

I’d say we’re 75% through the series at this point, and having Guts go against each of them would only serve as bloat.

Evil Genius translation is out

So yeah, it was a pretty chapter as usual. Shame the Giant King went down so easily. I wonder when's the next time we'll see the shit hit the fan. The Casca & Guts thing is gonna be resolved at some point, and Griffith is still on this campaign. But what after that? A new bad guy to throw things into chaos, or is Guts finally going to go after Griffith? Feels like we're in a weird spot at the moment.

People seem to be under the assumption it's going on hiatus again. I know it didn't tease the next chapter date, but to return from a break for one 16 page chapter before going on hiatus again? Wut

Evil Genius translation is out

So yeah, it was a pretty chapter as usual. Shame the Giant King went down so easily. I wonder when's the next time we'll see the shit hit the fan. The Casca & Guts thing is gonna be resolved at some point, and Griffith is still on this campaign. But what after that? A new bad guy to throw things into chaos, or is Guts finally going to go after Griffith? Feels like we're in a weird spot at the moment.

People seem to be under the assumption it's going on hiatus again. I know it didn't tease the next chapter date, but to return from a break for one 16 page chapter before going on hiatus again? Wut
People freak out every time there isn't a date for the next chapter even though its happened several times now and then there is a chapter the next month. Not saying there won't be a hiatus but I'm not going to freak out as if its a given.