Bicycle ERA |OT| This Is Why

Apart from being obviously more conformable, do you guys experience a significant performance improvement from aerodynamic cycling clothes? Ty!
I’d put it in the marginal gains catagory.
Carbon aero wheels for instance are a significant difference, whereas clothing makes a minor difference.

I do find that more tight clothing actually feels more comfortable to me now.
Less flapping in the wind and fabric that bunches up in annoying places.

Apart from being obviously more conformable, do you guys experience a significant performance improvement from aerodynamic cycling clothes? Ty!
Yes.

Road bike = Bibs & climber or aero jersey (Performance fit)
TT = Skinsuit

Through Winter when I often have to wear a jacket, it can be a bit "flappy" and feels like I have a parachute on.

Finally cleared to start riding again next month after a long recovery from a back injury. Starting out with an easy 15 miler at the Hincapie Fondo.

Really excited to get out there again, but kind of sad by my total lack of fitness these days.

Finally cleared to start riding again next month after a long recovery from a back injury. Starting out with an easy 15 miler at the Hincapie Fondo.

Really excited to get out there again, but kind of sad by my total lack of fitness these days.
I had a back injury last year and trained back up to fitness. Took me about 6 months, after being off the bike for about 4 months. Make sure you take it easy and listen to your body. Stretching regularly really helped me. Good luck!

Any mountain bikers on here?
A few of us. Sounds like you're not too far away from Mascot and I either (we're just the other side of the bridge)...

As for jumps, I know the feeling. I had a coaching session last week and I could barely clear tabletops that were like two foot long. lol

(In my defence, I've literally never done jumps. I always squish them for speed.)

Any mountain bikers on here? Spent my morning at the Forest of Dean on the jump line trying to improve my jumping, just going over and over again. Made some progress as I got more used to the sensation of being in the air and was able to actually start to clear the table tops and get that nice flow going. Fun, but overall it was fairly inconsistent I think. Just need to practice more I guess, nail the take off a bit better. Back to the videos I go!

Tell you what though, there is a huge disconnect between what I feel like I'm doing and what I'm actually doing. Feels like I'm getting 6ft of clear sexy air, I got one of the guys there to video me, I'm actually getting more like 6 inches of air with really poor form. Ha!

I'll keep trying. Ultimately goal is to be able to jump with confidence, maybe chuck the odd whip in there if I get proper good.
A few us mountain bike, though I'm across the ocean from you. Jumping is hard, but also not. It's 90% confidence in just letting the bike do the work. I went a bike park recently and with the speed you get it's more just saying "fuck it" and letting it send you.

Performance, no, comfort 100%. I can do 10-20 miles bibless but it can be rough if you're not dialed in right. Certain seats lend themsleves better to this. On anything long the comfort is 100% there in bibs & a jersey. Unless you're going speed & comp then the tight clothing wont hve much performance gains/

A few of us. Sounds like you're not too far away from Mascot and I either (we're just the other side of the bridge)...

As for jumps, I know the feeling. I had a coaching session last week and I could barely clear tabletops that were like two foot long. lol

(In my defence, I've literally never done jumps. I always squish them for speed.)
Ah, nice. I'm in Bristol so a swift jump over the Severn to the forest and bike park wales.

Yeah, confidence is a massive part of it. Once I relaxed into the whole thing it got a lot better, but then got worse the more tired I got! I might look into a coaching session, I'm happy enough with the rest of my technique, drop offs etc, it's just the jumps that I need to figure a reliable way to tackle them.

Really close to pulling the trigger on the Gran Premio Elite from Motobecane on Bikes Direct. It's $795 right now, and I'm trying to ease my way into entry level road cycling. I was waiting on maybe getting a Allez Elite, but those are closer to 1200. Any opinions? I have a fantastic LBS mechanic that could assemble it and tune it out of the box, so I am not worried about that, and the frame/component list seems really solid for the price. I'd like to get a 105 groupset and this is a cheap way to do it.

Yeah, confidence is a massive part of it. Once I relaxed into the whole thing it got a lot better, but then got worse the more tired I got! I might look into a coaching session, I'm happy enough with the rest of my technique, drop offs etc, it's just the jumps that I need to figure a reliable way to tackle them.
That pump you need to do into the face is surprisingly tiring once you've done it about 30 times. :D

Just going to leave this here

Really close to pulling the trigger on the Gran Premio Elite from Motobecane on Bikes Direct. It's $795 right now, and I'm trying to ease my way into entry level road cycling. I was waiting on maybe getting a Allez Elite, but those are closer to 1200. Any opinions? I have a fantastic LBS mechanic that could assemble it and tune it out of the box, so I am not worried about that, and the frame/component list seems really solid for the price. I'd like to get a 105 groupset and this is a cheap way to do it.
Looks a solid bike, as long as you look after it, it will look after you. Looking up the Reynolds 520 frame it turns out to be 4130 steel, they just rebrand the fully made tubes.

Last edited:
Any mountain bikers on here? Spent my morning at the Forest of Dean on the jump line trying to improve my jumping, just going over and over again. Made some progress as I got more used to the sensation of being in the air and was able to actually start to clear the table tops and get that nice flow going. Fun, but overall it was fairly inconsistent I think. Just need to practice more I guess, nail the take off a bit better. Back to the videos I go!

Tell you what though, there is a huge disconnect between what I feel like I'm doing and what I'm actually doing. Feels like I'm getting 6ft of clear sexy air, I got one of the guys there to video me, I'm actually getting more like 6 inches of air with really poor form. Ha!

I'll keep trying. Ultimately goal is to be able to jump with confidence, maybe chuck the odd whip in there if I get proper good.
I just started again, after I stopped in my teens and then only did some simple stuff in the woods. Having fun at the moment exploring the local hills and finding the trails I like. also having to learn to bunnyhop and improve my balance on the bike. HAving a blast, just the steep uphills are really harsh on me, but I guess I will get used to them at one point ;) .