Board Gaming Era |OT| (Mostly) Unplugged Gaming

Does anyone have thoughts on Empires of the Void II? Looking to add a space game that isn't quite TI4 to my collection.
I enjoy it but like every one of Ryans games it's definitely a game which is either hated or loved by everyone who has played it. The game is definitely greater than the sum of its parts and I would go so far to say as I think it's one of his strongest games. But if you're going in looking for a replacement for TI4- don't. The depth in the war element of the game simply isn't there.

After um'ing and err'ing all month I've finally broke and bought my first COIN game: Colonial Twilight. Off the deep end I go! All this because I enjoyed Root!

What are the best expansions for vanilla Zombicide? Rather than Black Plague. Mostly looking for new weapons/characters, if that makes a difference.

Don’t know how I missed this. Let me see if I can come up with a decent price for the lot. I’ll get a list together and pm you.
Totally forgot about this, are you still trying to get rid of your Zombicide stuff?

Last edited:
I picked up quest for El Dorado at Barnes and Noble for 50% off. Seemed like a pretty good deal for a simple deck building/racing game. They also had century spice road but that looks a little too similar to splendor to me. They definitely had some decent stuff this time around.
I feel Century is better than Splendor on all fronts and offers a lot more depth in gameplay. There are more options for you to do, more strategy, and more growth with the standalone expansion-like games coming out now.

Had a game night with a friend last night. Started off with a couple sessions of Fuse and lost the first but we won the second game. Full disclosure we were on the training difficulty ha.

Moved on to Critical Mass and I won in a grand comeback fashion. I was on the ropes early losing my reactor core but had some key activations that let me stockpile some heavy weapons for some whopping combos. Really enjoy this one. It is tense head to head but I enjoy the 2v2 team mode as well.

Finished the night off with Aeon's End. It was my friend's first time so we played Rageborne though the market was almost completely new even to me. Had some great dmg dealing spells in the mix and we melted Rageborne just in time as Gravehold was down to 3 health at the end. Been a few months since this hit the table and I'm glad I got it back out because it was definitely the right game to cap the evening with.

I rarely push Kickstarters, but this one has 6 days left and is unique enough that some people might be interested.

For those who haven't played the Pax series, they are unique historical games. This one is a 2nd edition and designed by the same guy who designed Root and (lesser known) John Company. There should be a playthrough video, teaching video, and Tabletop Simulator module (which I made) in the last couple of updates if you are at all intrigued and want to check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/pax-pamir-second-edition/description

I rarely push Kickstarters, but this one has 6 days left and is unique enough that some people might be interested.

For those who haven't played the Pax series, they are unique historical games. This one is a 2nd edition and designed by the same guy who designed Root and (lesser known) John Company. There should be a playthrough video, teaching video, and Tabletop Simulator module (which I made) in the last couple of updates if you are at all intrigued and want to check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/pax-pamir-second-edition/description
I have the first edition. Great game!

Anyone here familiar with Dice Throne? Strongly considering diving into the Season 2 offering and am really wondering how fast a game takes 1v1?
Dice Throne is fun af and I've had some really quick games but it can drag depending on the player. The person I've played against most-recently had a bit of AP and is just slow to talk, move, and play in general; games with him take up to an hour.

Played my second game of solo Legendary: Marvel DBG earlier while waiting for this damn hurricane to get here. I had just finished watching season two of Luke Cage and decided to use some Marvel Knights characters: Daredevil, Punisher, and Iron Fist. They fought minions of Hydra and ninjas from The Hand who were trying to Replace World Leaders with Killbots, led by Red Skull. Won it pretty easily. I think I might get some more expansions soon (I have Dark City, F4, PttR, and GotG) and some sleeves for it. Storing the game sucks with any more expansions than I currently have, especially when sleeved.

Finally played Tiny Epic Zombies after getting it in the mail weeks ago. Game is super fun. We played the cooperative vs zombies mode with me playing as the zombies. The humans just barely succeed on their last turn before being overrun. The little figurines are adorable and really do add a lot to the game.

I've never played any of these "tiny epic" games before but they are totally on my radar now. Anyone have any other recommendations in the series?

Finally played Tiny Epic Zombies after getting it in the mail weeks ago. Game is super fun. We played the cooperative vs zombies mode with me playing as the zombies. The humans just barely succeed on their last turn before being overrun. The little figurines are adorable and really do add a lot to the game.

I've never played any of these "tiny epic" games before but they are totally on my radar now. Anyone have any other recommendations in the series?
Posts #5040 onwards (same page for me) offer some recommendations from other ERA users. I've yet to play any of the Tiny Epic games but I don't tend to like shorter games like these.

Any hype for Street Masters? It appears to basically be Sentinels of the Multiverse with the added spacial elements of a board to move around on.

There's a reprint+expansion Kickstarter campaign scheduled for next month on October 23. I'll be checking into it for sure.

Have to look up or make up some house rules for Who Goes There? (deluxe) or I am going to get rid of it.

It is a cooperative game that is hard and then at the end its like "oh, let's shoehorn in some social deduction." Getting XP and Humans getting enough points to survive the helicopter is a joke. Don't know if the game is only good with 6 players but at 4, working really hard together, two of us barely had enough XP to buy one 3 thing and the Infected made the helicopter escape just ridiculous (Human had 5 points and the Infected increased the helicopter score to 18 after everyone rolling). Just doesn't seem like it is possible for Human's to make it unless the Thing doesn't spread and is left off the helicopter.

Now I love the movie/prequel and I understand things are dim, its survival, not supposed to be a walk in a park, etc but something seems to disconnect.

House rules I am working on...
  • Avalanches only affect those outside
  • Defeat/surviving a thing attack nets you XP (1 in Phase 1, 2 in Phase 2, 3 in Phase 3)
  • Helicopter total is 3 or 4 per human.
[strike]Might just leave it at 1 XP per thing attack. It is silly that you don't get XP from that but you get XP from finding a safe outside.[/strike]

I just feel like there could be a decent game here but it isn't fleshed out.

edit: I missed the part about 2 XP everytime you search outside...wonder how that changes things.

Last edited:
Also played a game of Who Goes There last night and think I need a few more games before I have some more fleshed out thoughts. Eventually everyone had so much XP that there was nothing left to buy, and I drew the infection card super early. I will say the approach to being the hidden baddie is different than in most other games. Rather than looking to sabotage you kind of just play it straight, wait to see who is pulling ahead with helicopter parts, and then try and stealthily turn them. I felt like if I infected too many people, I would lose control and the whole table would become the Thing, so you have to pick your targets carefully. It feels more thematically appropriate than The Thing board game.

Also, The Stygian Society KS starts tomorrow. You get a free hero if you back within the first 48 hours. The designer is Kevin Wilson, and it is a diceless dungeon crawler with a dice tower. Sounds interesting enough for me!
Yeah no...it is not diceless cause you are rolling/dropping dice down a dice tower. A die is a cube and if the cubes go through a dice tower and have different sides on them, that is the same as rolling dice. Is this just trying to be pretentious?

Yeah no...it is not diceless cause you are rolling/dropping dice down a dice tower. A die is a cube and if the cubes go through a dice tower and have different sides on them, that is the same as rolling dice. Is this just trying to be pretentious?

They don't have different sides on them though

They're solid colored cubes

It's actually a cube tower, not a dice tower. Like Wallenstein or Shogun.

BattleCON Unleashed goes live this Friday; here's the WIP project page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/1206083017?ref=531290&token=59bf31bc
That storage box is what I've been waiting years for and the most hype thing in the whole campaign for me. I'm going to get the new version of Devastation rather than upgrade my current copy. So it looks like $180 for the new version of Dev, Wanderers, the Unleashed box, some content for BattleCON Online, and the art/lore tome. I'm soooo excited for the end of 2019!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
BattleCON Unleashed goes live this Friday; here's the WIP project page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/1206083017?ref=531290&token=59bf31bc
That storage box is what I've been waiting years for and the most hype thing in the whole campaign for me. I'm going to get the new version of Devastation rather than upgrade my current copy. So it looks like $180 for the new version of Dev, Wanderers, the Unleashed box, some content for BattleCON Online, and the art/lore tome. I'm soooo excited for the end of 2019!
Man I love BattleCON, but I'm also all in on Exceed season 2 and recently received it, and I kind of like Exceed better as a game. This KS is hitting at the worst time, with Monsterpocalypse AND the 2080Ti both coming out this week. Ugh....

Man I love BattleCON, but I'm also all in on Exceed season 2 and recently received it, and I kind of like Exceed better as a game. This KS is hitting at the worst time, with Monsterpocalypse AND the 2080Ti both coming out this week. Ugh....
I haven't even played any of Exceed S2 and I went all-in on that as well. I imagine it will sit unused for a while, just like my BattleCON stuff. And all the content from this new BattleCON kickstarter will sit around unused as well. But I can't just not buy it; I'm hooked on BattleCON and anything L99 makes. The Unleashed storage box will only be available through this campaign too, and I think that once I have a storage solution that I can easily transport to a store, maybe I'll be able to start playing the game sometime down the road. So I definitely have to buy it.
I'm just hoping they hit their $150,000 goal.

Maybe I’m missing something why would one want to buy the remaster over just upgrading?

Maybe I’m missing something why would one want to buy the remaster over just upgrading?
I haven't sleeved my cards (I'm not even sure how many sleeves I'd need by the time these sets come out) and all of the sets have card color/quality differences, mainly in the ink color on the card backs. This Remastered Set had a stronger chance of being closer or matching the recent sets more than the oldest version does.

So I have begun reviewing GMT games for the site I work for. The original reviews are in danish but I am going to translate them to English on BGG aswell. Would anyone here be interested in reading those?

So I have begun reviewing GMT games for the site I work for. The original reviews are in danish but I am going to translate them to English on BGG aswell. Would anyone here be interested in reading those?
I'm falling in to the GMT trap so it would be interesting for me. I'm looking at what COIN games to purchase at the moment.

I got my copy if gizmos in last week and it is a pretty good little game. Engine builder (like splendor etc) but with some variations built in and a good option for newbies and seasoned pros to both enjoy. (at the same time)

I got my copy if gizmos in last week and it is a pretty good little game. Engine builder (like splendor etc) but with some variations built in and a good option for newbies and seasoned pros to both enjoy. (at the same time)
I'm really looking forward to that one! Seems like something my group would enjoy, so I hope it becomes available in Europe soon.

I didn't enjoy it that much, the marbles are cool though. I wonder how much it stands up to repeated plays as most cards seemed the same just changing the color that required to activate.

So out of curiousity, where do you all go to learn about new board game kickstarters?
Go to Kickstarter, click Explore, then click on Games, then Explore again...when it says "Show me _____ projects..." i click where it says games and it has an option for Tabletop games.

Then it is just looking at the list. Should list only active games at the top. Or you could just click that link.

I didn't enjoy it that much, the marbles are cool though. I wonder how much it stands up to repeated plays as most cards seemed the same just changing the color that required to activate.
Were they shuffled well? There could.be more variation for sure (foresee expansion packs) but shuffled enough each of us had a totally different engine. Especially for beginners its great because it confuses less.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Facebook groups (there's a few specifically for board game kickstarters, and loads about board games in general) and boardgamegeek (most of the ads are about kickstarters)
Have a good recommendation for a Facebook group? I hate when I miss a KS I would have been interested in, so more vectors for not missing is good.

Have a good recommendation for a Facebook group? I hate when I miss a KS I would have been interested in, so more vectors for not missing is good.
There's a group all about new kickstarter launch dates if that's all you want: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KickstarterTabletopCalendar/

This one is just general Kickstarter board game discussions and news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/kickstarterboardgames/

And for just all kinds of board gaming, I like these:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/theboardgamegroup/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BoardGameExp/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardgamerevolution/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/133706257439766/

Mine launches on September 26 by the way ;)