Board Gaming Era |OT| (Mostly) Unplugged Gaming

Does anyone know where I can get an oversized gaming mat for a decent price? I'm looking to cover a 6x4 table and most that I find aren't solid color for some reason

like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGMM72...d_r=45a42f8d-bddd-11e8-9fc4-81eb294f983c&th=1

is a great price, and the right size, but its got stars and shit all over it. that's fine but not quite what I want.

I also am confused why any solid color one I find (gamematz for example) is like... 100 bucks. I would think a printed one would be more than a solid color but it doesn't seem like it

If the Woodland alliance get a base out that's when you need to be prepared to drop the hammer, if they start hoarding officers if you don't drop the hammer that turn you're already too late.

In a slight tangent: Endeavour arrived today. Jesus Christ! The production quality is out of the world on this one. It's also really, REALLY mean. I like it.
Did yours come with the board? : P

Any one of you use card sleeves? I kinda looked into it, but I am not sure it's worth the money/hassle/look and feel of the cards.
I also kinda want to buy a matte for tables - because I play on different surfaces and having a non-slippery and even surface where it's easy to pick up cards would be nice. Any recommendations?
Also, really digging Tiny Epic Zombies, fun little game!
Yes I sleeve almost everything. Nothing's worse than an accidental bend in a card, and sleeves add twice the strength so it's less likely to happen. It also discourages violent shuffling as that's more difficult to do with sleeves. The price of sleeving a game is usually only a few bucks, so I think of it like paying just a tiny bit more to give a game potentially endless additional plays.

I love portable versions of any game.

I ordered a portable shogi set that'll arrive in 2 weeks or so, and I just bought Risk. Only played it like once before but fucking LOVED it.

Now I'm considering getting Hive Pocket.
Hive pocket is great! Don't forget to pick up the pill bug and mosquito expansions.

So I sleeved some cards and I am not sure I will do this.

Like the Tiny Epic cards are fine I think, (why are all sleeves too big?) but shuffling is harder while handling on the table is kinda better?
The really bad thing is packaging now... it just does not fit into the original box anymore in heigth AND width/length, see the Munchkin pictures :( And I only sleeved 50 of 168 cards there....
I am a fan of original boxes so this is a bummer so far, haha.

I willy try different sleeves maybe, but so far, not a fan.

Also yes... I still like the Zombie theme :D
Fantasy flight sleeves are great quality, but often tend to be just a little too big for my tastes (especially fantasy flight grey size for some reason) Mayday sleeves tend to be lower quality (they're fine but you get a few bogus sleeves in any pack) but they have a much tighter fit that I prefer. Make sure to get the premium packs (have 50 instead of 100 but are thicker. The regular quality is far too thin).
I sleeved my Tiny Epic Zombies with Mayday premium sleeves, and everything actually fits back into the box without trouble, the lid is just slightly raised but it's fine. (And that's with the deluxe extras). I used the Mayday Green size for the regular cards (comparable to fantasy flight grey) and the mayday tiny epic defenders size for the larger cards.

Like I said, I sleeve almost everything, and almost always the sleeved cards fit into the box, though it's pretty common that you'll need to throw out the insert. The most trouble I've had with sleeved cards has been in small box games which tend to be tightly packed to begin with. In a couple cases I moved the game to a deck box, and rarely I've restructured the box to add height.

My shuffling method for sleeved cards is to quickly deal out the deck into multiple piles, maybe six or eight, randomly choosing a pile for the cards as I lay them down. Then I pick up all the piles together and if it doesn't feel good enough, do it one more time.

This is my personal preference, but I also sleeve so that the sleeve opening is at the bottom of the card. That might seem strange to some people, but the cards won't fall out if the sleeve is the right fit, and when the opening is at the bottom, it prevents dust or small matter from falling into the top. I also think it just looks better.

Try it out a bit longer or with another couple games. Again, I recommend mayday premium sleeves for the tighter fit. They're cheap too if you order direct from may day's website, and watch for a sale, they have them often.

Yes I sleeve almost everything. Nothing's worse than an accidental bend in a card, and sleeves add twice the strength so it's less likely to happen. It also discourages violent shuffling as that's more difficult to do with sleeves. The price of sleeving a game is usually only a few bucks, so I think of it like paying just a tiny bit more to give a game potentially endless additional plays.

Hive pocket is great! Don't forget to pick up the pill bug and mosquito expansions.

Fantasy flight sleeves are great quality, but often tend to be just a little too big for my tastes (especially fantasy flight grey size for some reason) Mayday sleeves tend to be lower quality (they're fine but you get a few bogus sleeves in any pack) but they have a much tighter fit that I prefer. Make sure to get the premium packs (have 50 instead of 100 but are thicker. The regular quality is far too thin).
I sleeved my Tiny Epic Zombies with Mayday premium sleeves, and everything actually fits back into the box without trouble, the lid is just slightly raised but it's fine. (And that's with the deluxe extras). I used the Mayday Green size for the regular cards (comparable to fantasy flight grey) and the mayday tiny epic defenders size for the larger cards.

Like I said, I sleeve almost everything, and almost always the sleeved cards fit into the box, though it's pretty common that you'll need to throw out the insert. The most trouble I've had with sleeved cards has been in small box games which tend to be tightly packed to begin with. In a couple cases I moved the game to a deck box, and rarely I've restructured the box to add height.

My shuffling method for sleeved cards is to quickly deal out the deck into multiple piles, maybe six or eight, randomly choosing a pile for the cards as I lay them down. Then I pick up all the piles together and if it doesn't feel good enough, do it one more time.

This is my personal preference, but I also sleeve so that the sleeve opening is at the bottom of the card. That might seem strange to some people, but the cards won't fall out if the sleeve is the right fit, and when the opening is at the bottom, it prevents dust or small matter from falling into the top. I also think it just looks better.

Try it out a bit longer or with another couple games. Again, I recommend mayday premium sleeves for the tighter fit. They're cheap too if you order direct from may day's website, and watch for a sale, they have them often.
I have sleeved all of my TEZ game now as well. I love the fit of the bigger card sleeves. Both are mayday and they are okay. I tried Ultra pro with Munchkin and it's nice fit as well, but I hate the logo... Need to find better ones. The bigger boxes would fit sleeved cards for sure, but the normal, one game boxes sadly not :(
Luckily I can print my own inlays soon!

I’ve still not played with every fighter in og devastation lol
I've still not played a single fighter from War Remastered, Devastation, or Trials. I've only played fighters from the original version of War and Fate.
Man, though... I was actually a tiny bit worried about the $150K funding goal, after being a part of War Remastered and Trials, and seeing what they brought it. I have desperately been wanting a storage box for years though, so I guess I shouldn't have doubted that others would want one badly as well. To surpass their funding goal on the first day... Congrats to Brad, Ithry, and everyone else at L99.

Next year (eh, or maybe spring of 2020 might be more likely) cannot get here soon enough.

I've never even heard of Battlecon before this, so imagine my level on seeing how many characters this shit is

I love the idea of the system though, I'm gonna get in on this one
If you have any kind of love for 2d fighting games, like balance and strategy, and have friends who will play it with you, then you are in for a treat. It's a blast to play.
I just wish I had played it more than the handful of times over the years. I predict that will change once this new set and storage box comes out though (I have to be optimistic about it).

That's a shame, and how does it compare to the official the thing game?
They are very different games. Infection at Outpost 31 is more like Avalon/Resistance but added more of a game to it. It has missions that vary each turn and it forces you to take people you might not want on the mission in order to maybe exceed. It is more social and suspicious type of game. I like it.

Who Goes There? is more of a survival, full-on co-operative game that at the ends wants to say "oh yeah, there is probably a traitor." Outside the doctor and one other character (out of 6 or 8, depending on version of game) there are no other ways to figure out a person's allegiance/infection. The problem is there is no reason for anyone to do anything negative to raise suspicion. Everyone loses if no one gets off. Everyone will be working together and unless you by chance get to check someone's infection status, it will be a random guess on who is infected or not. The only real accusations is seeing who has the most vulnerability cards and just assuming that they have the 1 out of 12 cards that is infected.

Also, there is no changing of captains at all unless they die. So they will be making the final decision and trying force them off the helicopter is a hard sell even if they have no chance to make it on their own. It just can be a little messy explaining it to people but I imagine it could be a little better at the end when people have a few games under their belt.

Optimal play is just let The Thing Host infect people and not worry about it if you are infected. That's how you can make sure there is a human left and it is instant victory.

Usually games have a cool mechanic or something that really grabs me that says why it is cool/fun/different/exciting. While it does have an amazing insert, that is not enough since the Deluxe box is TOO big and things will fall out of place if you turn it on its side so not so cool in the long run. Maybe if it had more flavor to it? There is no flavor/theme text, just pictures with title and negative consequences so it isn't even building up a narrative. Like where are there so many dog/mad man attacks still with people dying? Why is there an avalanche cause I don't think they were really that close to a mountain? How does barb-wire only affect people inside even if they don't go outside, is there wire just laying around in the building?

I need it to grab me. I'll give it a play or two more before deciding.

If you have any kind of love for 2d fighting games, like balance and strategy, and have friends who will play it with you, then you are in for a treat. It's a blast to play.
I just wish I had played it more than the handful of times over the years. I predict that will change once this new set and storage box comes out though (I have to be optimistic about it).
Yeah I love the game but I can only hope that a better storage and being able to easilly take a few fighter with me in their tuckbox will give me more opportunity to play it. BattleCON online already help with that, but digital never really give the same feeling.

part of our board game nights usually start with a bunch of fighting games as our opener... so yeah this might be perfect lol

anyone know if Arkham Horror LCG cards are the same size as NetRunner LCG? want to reuse my dragon shields
Yes they are the same standard Magic size card. Only mini card size are the investigator small photo card and you only need a few of them if you want to sleeve them. I switch all my player cards to Dragon recently and really like how nice and thick they are and may be I will eventually will switch all the Mythos cards but Dragon is so expensive and I have tons of FFG sleeve that I have been recycling from game to game as FFG killed them off one by one. : P

We played Western Legends last night. We played a short game (to 15 VPs). It wasn't too tough to learn and teach but there is quite a lot you can do in the game and that took a lot to go over. Anyway, I was Billy the Kid and got arrested pretty quickly. I kept on the unlawful path, taking out the bank and throwing lavish parties at the Cabaret as much as I could but being the only wanted player, I got picked on a lot by the sheriff and the other marshal players. I think I got arrested four or five times in the end. I came in last. Everyone else played a pretty clean game and adopted a variety of marshal strategies with dueling, poker and mining. Anyway, it was quite a lot of fun. I like it because it has a lot of theme, there's interaction between the players, and it doesn't have to take four hours to play. Anyway, if you like thematic Westerns, give it a shot.

I was playing my Kickstarter copy but a retail release should be in October, I believe.

Check out a rules summary. There are some pretty good ones on bgg. While playing keep in mind that getting cards back is quite difficult. Don't blow through your cards or you won't make it through the mission. Get an app that automates the monster decks. Those are the smallest and fiddliest ones to set up for every encounter.
We started our campaign last week and went through three scenarios. All in all, definitely fun and it's all I've been thinking about. We had a 4-player party going (Cragheart, Spellweaver, Mindthief and Tinkerer) and getting cards back was definitely an issue for one of our players. He was playing Spellweaver and even with one of the card's abilities to pick up lost cards, he became exhausted in the first scenario and nearly exhausted in the second. He switched to becoming a Brute in the third scenario and liked it more than the Spellweaver, haha.

We made some rule mistakes as we played but nothing too drastic. I'm hoping to bring this to our table at least once a week.

That's really intimidating. I bought Devastation of Indines in a sale years ago, but nobody has been interested in playing it with me, so it's just been lying in its box. I love the idea of it, but there is no way I'd ever get my moneys worth off this one. 90 characters that never would be played, that's some Toy Story sadness right there.

We started our campaign last week and went through three scenarios. All in all, definitely fun and it's all I've been thinking about. We had a 4-player party going (Cragheart, Spellweaver, Mindthief and Tinkerer) and getting cards back was definitely an issue for one of our players. He was playing Spellweaver and even with one of the card's abilities to pick up lost cards, he became exhausted in the first scenario and nearly exhausted in the second. He switched to becoming a Brute in the third scenario and liked it more than the Spellweaver, haha.

We made some rule mistakes as we played but nothing too drastic. I'm hoping to bring this to our table at least once a week.
The spellweaver needs to be played with restraint. It has so many actions that burns the card, and you need to constantly keep your deck in check so that you don't overextend yourself. It can be ridiculously powerful if played well. The spellweaver in my team actually made a diagram over how to play as efficiently as possible with its cards. I'm a simple brute myself, so I just punch things. It's great fun!

Last edited:
I picked up my Kickstarter copy of Darklight Memento Mori from my friend this weekend, the main box and the expansion bits are huge!

Not had chance to play it but have had a good look at all the bits, this is the first dungeon crawler i've had in years since Advanced Heroquest. Has anyone else picked this up?

I have a question for who possess TMB and TMB:Undertow.
I've just received both and started playing the core game. I've also started looking online to see if the 2 games were mixable.
From what I've understood, it's better to use the cards only of the "adventure" you want to play (core vs undertow), and use the battle mat of the specific "adventure". Everything else should be mixable, correct?
I'm wondering if Undertow is really necessary if you already have the core game

I played my first game of Smash Up earlier and I think it's super neat.
It would be a game to play if I want to play a "fast session of Dominion" but I am not in the mood of setting it up.
I might get just two sets and see how it plays with mixing it up. Love the Zombies and Robots mix, you can overrun bases pretty fast and annoy the other player, haha.

I played my first game of Smash Up earlier and I think it's super neat.
It would be a game to play if I want to play a "fast session of Dominion" but I am not in the mood of setting it up.
I might get just two sets and see how it plays with mixing it up. Love the Zombies and Robots mix, you can overrun bases pretty fast and annoy the other player, haha.
Be cautious... Smash Up can easily go awry & be really long for what it is with the wrong deck combos (or even players...). There's some unofficial house rules about not playing with as many bases active which can help. My daughter loves it, but it doesn't hit the table nearly as much as as it should for the number of expansions I've somehow ended up with.

Sticking with a base + expansion sounds like not a bad idea.

Be cautious... Smash Up can easily go awry & be really long for what it is with the wrong deck combos (or even players...). There's some unofficial house rules about not playing with as many bases active which can help. My daughter loves it, but it doesn't hit the table nearly as much as as it should for the number of expansions I've somehow ended up with.

Sticking with a base + expansion sounds like not a bad idea.
Sounds reasonable! I looked into Smash Up Munchkin and that adds even more complexity to the bases it seems. As a Munchkin fan I kinda want to get it, but I will stick to base Smash Up and one Expansion right now. I don't expect to play it very often.

I have a question for who possess TMB and TMB:Undertow.
I've just received both and started playing the core game. I've also started looking online to see if the 2 games were mixable.
From what I've understood, it's better to use the cards only of the "adventure" you want to play (core vs undertow), and use the battle mat of the specific "adventure". Everything else should be mixable, correct?
I'm wondering if Undertow is really necessary if you already have the core game
The designers have chimed in a few times on BBG, but yeah that's basically the gist. I went in for everything, so I'll probably mix all the baddies and loot together but keep the Undertow encounter cards separate,. If they are mixed in with all the others, there's a good chance you won't run into any water encounters when you should really be fighting on the river. CTG has said they'll probably do a water encounter add on pack at a later date to help even things out.

I would say that Undertow is worth it for the new characters. The real strength of the game is how different the characters are and how they interact with one another. If you're thinking about buying some of the other add on characters, it's probably a better value to get Undertow, unless you don't find the two characters that come with it appealing -- you'll get two characters in addition to new loot, encounters, baddies, etc.

Sounds reasonable! I looked into Smash Up Munchkin and that adds even more complexity to the bases it seems. As a Munchkin fan I kinda want to get it, but I will stick to base Smash Up and one Expansion right now. I don't expect to play it very often.
Smash up munchkin is imo the worst expansion for smash up. The treasure and monster systems can really make the games drag on far too long.

So it's in spirit of Munchkin :D
The other issue is that it and the cthulu expansions force everyone to use their factions if one person chooses them. This becomes an issue even if all you have is the base game and 1-2 expansions. If your opponent picks a cthulu and muchkin deck and you pick to base game factions suddenly you’ll be in a scenario where you can’t attack monsters, have a hard time winning loot, and can do nothing about the flood of madness cards being added to your deck.

The other issue is that it and the cthulu expansions force everyone to use their factions if one person chooses them. This becomes an issue even if all you have is the base game and 1-2 expansions. If your opponent picks a cthulu and muchkin deck and you pick to base game factions suddenly you’ll be in a scenario where you can’t attack monsters, have a hard time winning loot, and can do nothing about the flood of madness cards being added to your deck.
I guess those two work best stand alone.
I wanted to get Smash Up Cthulhu but it's not available anymore :(

Mezo's KS is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgames/mezo

I was interested. They were saying it's $80 for the game before the KS.

But the fifth player is not included in the "base game". C'mon, it's an area control game and it's meant to be for four players? Yet, the map pretty much looks like it was designed for 5 players? Fuck that. So, now that's $100 to get the five player version.

Then, the stretch goals aren't even included in the $100 version, so it's $130 for those too.

Plus shipping.

I will wait for retail.

I guess those two work best stand alone.
I wanted to get Smash Up Cthulhu but it's not available anymore :(
You can mix them with other factions. What I generally do with Smash Up (since I have a LOT of factions) is pull the 2x the player count +2 for factions randomly from the box. If the group wants to play with munchkin or cthulu I pull all of the cthulu or muchkin decks and make everyone draft once through only those decks. Then I remove any remaining decks and replace them with random factions from the box and reverse order draft them. That way nobody has an unfair advantage in terms of game changing mechanics.

Normally I mix all bases together, but I keep bases with madness and monster/loot effects separately. If we’re playing with decks that have those mechanics I try and mix in a few normal bases with their specific bases. Only exception is if we do only munchkin stuff, then I’ll only use munchkin bases.