Board Gaming Era |OT| (Mostly) Unplugged Gaming

I have the 2nd edition. I don't think there are any KS exclusives. I have the cloth map. It kinda sucks but it was a cheap add-on.

It is very much a solo game and is quite good at that. It says it plays to four players but it is really just a solo game so don't buy it expecting to play it with more than just one.

I am not sure about that Amazon price.. it is in stock in several places:
https://boardgameprices.com/prices/nemowar

Anyone find Transformers TCG at any department stores? Don’t see it listed at Target or Walmart.
Not on the B&N site either, however I did get a box from my flgs and broke it down already, had another box at another shop, but I think I’ll drop it in favor of some single boosters if I can

Here’s my breakdown from the transformers thread
Ok, managed to get a box of the tcg, already did a tear down and recorded some statistics. Here’s the ratios for non super rares character cards(I could have had crappy luck, but the spread was pretty even so) rare: 1:10; uncommon 1:3, common 17:30. 5 duplicates (1 uncommon, 4 commons(3 copies of kup ugh)). Battle cards had a consistent(aka permanent) ratio of 4 commons, 2 uncommons, 1 rare.
Got every common, but I’m missing 6 uncommons. Spread was good, pulled in groups of 5, right side than left. Had no dupes within a set, and any set of 5 provided viable sealed options.

Got Shockwave, Megatron and Darkmount rares. It’s the Only box I plan on buying this wave, may go after some single packs since they’ll be rare for a bit after today

How programmy?
I mean technically room 25 has programming but it's not a ton.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/212956/room-25-ultimate

Space alert isn't to bad once you get it down but can be a bit complex to learn in the first place.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38453/space-alert

uh https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/142267/bomb-squad isn't to complex to learn, but it's also not a great game. Though I haven't hated my time with it, just not amazing either.

I don't recall lords of xidit to be to bad to learn, but I have had mixed reactions to it
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/156566/lords-xidit
Mechs vs Minions is probably the best programming game out there currently. Fits the bill for not too complex as well.
Thanks!

Just picked up tickets to a preview keyforge event next month, not totally sold from a couple of games I’ve played in browser but looking forward to finding out more about it.

I stupidly LOVE Gloomhaven. What a fantastic game. So many beautiful moments, even when the game is fucking with you. Hell, especially when the game is fucking with you.

Like today against certain Boss: we took him down to 8 or 9 health while we were going really low on cards (I could only act two more rounds before getting exhausted, a couple of the others had the same problem) and life (some because our characters have really low health at the level 1/2 we were, some due damage), and all this with mobs around. Three of us manage to activate before them, going all in for the Boss head. Result: Null. Null. Null. The room exploded with laughs.

He eventually died on the next round and we didn't lose anyone, but oh my that moment.

Also, playing with painted characters is so much cooler :P (and what a crappy picture, ugh).

Anyone interested in buying some like new games?

I'm at the point where I buy more than I play, and I'm looking to free up shelf space.

- Demon Worker (Bought in Japan, played once, not my style)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shadows of the Past (retail version, opened but never played, cards still sealed)
- Boss Monster 1 & 2 with first couple expansions (played several times, in great condition, box is a custom job made from both boxes and some black tape, well, I think it looks good enough)
- Rayguns and Rocketships (with all add ons and kickstarter exclusives, opened but never got around to playing)
- Last Night on Earth game without the miniatures (played a couple times, painted the minis and want to keep them, could easily use miniatures from anything else and be playable)
- Run Fight or Die (opened but never played)

I'll probably add a few more, but if anyone's interested, do let me know.

I got the ascenion app and have been having a blast with it, deck builders are by far my favorite genre and I’m happy I have this and star realms to play solo on the go. Wish my irl friends enjoyed them as much as I do

I stupidly LOVE Gloomhaven. What a fantastic game. So many beautiful moments, even when the game is fucking with you. Hell, especially when the game is fucking with you.

Like today against certain Boss: we took him down to 8 or 9 health while we were going really low on cards (I could only act two more rounds before getting exhausted, a couple of the others had the same problem) and life (some because our characters have really low health at the level 1/2 we were, some due damage), and all this with mobs around. Three of us manage to activate before them, going all in for the Boss head. Result: Null. Null. Null. The room exploded with laughs.

He eventually died on the next round and we didn't lose anyone, but oh my that moment.

Also, playing with painted characters is so much cooler :P (and what a crappy picture, ugh).

Whoa, I really like your painted characters. Especially the Brute.
My team is only six scenarios in and two of us are close to retiring (lol). Not sure if they would want to spend the time to paint their characters knowing they'll get a new character soon.

So I asked this a bit ago, but today appears to be the last day I have to decide. Death May Die. I have $1 in and am still unsure. Anyone been following it enough to give their opinion?

So I asked this a bit ago, but today appears to be the last day I have to decide. Death May Die. I have $1 in and am still unsure. Anyone been following it enough to give their opinion?
The mechanics look pretty solid; they're a variation on "The Others" mechanics, but seemingly better balanced (no exploding dice, a 'healing' option, etc.) and purely co-op (a big selling point for me). I watched the gameplay video and while it does seem very tough, I don't think it will feel _quite_ as 'meat-grindery' as some co-ops (personally I think that too many of lose the fun in favor of 'challenge'). Plus, the $100 level is a very good deal and should be fairly easy to re-sell later if it doesn't click with your group. That's not a bad gamble for a game designed by a guy with a pretty solid track record and a company that generally produces quality product.

However; if you're a completionist, you're actually looking at a $300 investment, plus shipping. CMON has proven in the past that 'retail expansions' may, or may not, actually hit retail, and the giant Cthulhu is, of course a KS exclusive. Personally, as much as I love the idea of the giant Cthulhu, I feel that it is a HUGE gamble to pick it up. It's a $150 addition for a gameplay mode that is only used if you lose the main game, and requires you to play by a different set of rules that we know very little about, other than it's more 'tactical' (IE: no defined board spaces).

Edit - Also; I believe the base game will be out in 2019, while the giant Cthulhu won't be showing up until some time in 2020.

I'm not entirely convinced as to the long term appeal of the game, but I think I'll get some mileage out of the $100 level at least.

Last edited:
I’ve decided to not throw any money at it. Money is a bit tight and even if it wasn’t I just don’t need another heavy miniature game when I can barely play the few I have.

I’ve decided to not throw any money at it. Money is a bit tight and even if it wasn’t I just don’t need another heavy miniature game when I can barely play the few I have.
The game look pretty boring especially with the "shoot Cthulu in the face" theme. The investigators are uninspiring and the mechanic is another rehash of CMON other games. It will take a lot to get me to back any of their games all their recent one are all disappointing.

The mechanics look pretty solid; they're a variation on "The Others" mechanics, but seemingly better balanced (no exploding dice, a 'healing' option, etc.) and purely co-op (a big selling point for me). I watched the gameplay video and while it does seem very tough, I don't think it will feel _quite_ as 'meat-grindery' as some co-ops (personally I think that too many of lose the fun in favor of 'challenge'). Plus, the $100 level is a very good deal and should be fairly easy to re-sell later if it doesn't click with your group. That's not a bad gamble for a game designed by a guy with a pretty solid track record and a company that generally produces quality product.

However; if you're a completionist, you're actually looking at a $300 investment, plus shipping. CMON has proven in the past that 'retail expansions' may, or may not, actually hit retail, and the giant Cthulhu is, of course a KS exclusive. Personally, as much as I love the idea of the giant Cthulhu, I feel that it is a HUGE gamble to pick it up. It's a $150 addition for a gameplay mode that is only used if you lose the main game, and requires you to play by a different set of rules that we know very little about, other than it's more 'tactical' (IE: no defined board spaces).

Edit - Also; I believe the base game will be out in 2019, while the giant Cthulhu won't be showing up until some time in 2020.

I'm not entirely convinced as to the long term appeal of the game, but I think I'll get some mileage out of the $100 level at least.
Between these two posts and my initial uncertainty, I think I'm going to leave my $1 pledge alone. Between KD:M, SoB, Zombicide, and MD, I really don't NEED any new miniatures games. I can't imagine they're really doing anything revolutionary anymore anyways.

Wow, dont buy Mayday card sleeves...
they are flimsy and sleeves will crinkle if you take up cards or shuffle them. Fantasy Flight seem much better in that regard, altough sadly they are a bit too big for std. US card size (even if they are labeled as such).

they are flimsy and sleeves will crinkle if you take up cards or shuffle them. Fantasy Flight seem much better in that regard, altough sadly they are a bit too big for std. US card size (even if they are labeled as such).
I've bought a ton of mayday over the years, and they are very good at replacing them if there are any issues. The price is hard to beat for the quality and I've only seen occasional sleeves be too long or something.

Did you buy penny sleeves or the next step up? Were they a snug fit when you put them on the cards?

I've never seen them crinkle when picking them up as far as I know, but make sure you only shuffle using the overhand method or putting a corner into a long deck side and gently mashing together without holding the decks too tight.

Go with Dragon Shield, Ultimate Guard, KMC, or Ultra-Pro Eclipse (pretty sure these don't have the holograms) if you want something that fits well and isn't low-quality like Mayday. I used Fantasy Flight sleeves for a long time, but grew tired of the excess sleeve at the top. Ended up going with Ultimate Guard for Arkham Horror, but still use my excess Fantasy Flight sleeves for stuff I don't play that often.

Tolarian Community College on YouTube (who focuses on M:TG) has video reviews for almost every sleeve on the market if you want to do some more research into the different brands.

I've bought a ton of mayday over the years, and they are very good at replacing them if there are any issues. The price is hard to beat for the quality and I've only seen occasional sleeves be too long or something.

Did you buy penny sleeves or the next step up? Were they a snug fit when you put them on the cards?

I've never seen them crinkle when picking them up as far as I know, but make sure you only shuffle using the overhand method or putting a corner into a long deck side and gently mashing together without holding the decks too tight.
I demonstrated the issue here, first time making a video of such thing ;) Sorry for the plaster.

I demonstrated the issue here, first time making a video of such thing ;) Sorry for the plaster.

That mayday sleeve is definitely too big for the card size. There's a giant BGG list somewhere that has card sizes for games, and I can try to look it up if you want. If you DID order precisely the right card size then it's a mayday manufacturing issue and (if you don't mind the hassle of emailing them) they should replace the set for you 100% free.

In fact, even the FFG sleeve you have looks too big to me since I can see air on either side of the card.

Go with Dragon Shield, Ultimate Guard, KMC, or Ultra-Pro Eclipse (pretty sure these don't have the holograms) if you want something that fits well and isn't low-quality like Mayday. I used Fantasy Flight sleeves for a long time, but grew tired of the excess sleeve at the top. Ended up going with Ultimate Guard for Arkham Horror, but still use my excess Fantasy Flight sleeves for stuff I don't play that often.

Tolarian Community College on YouTube (who focuses on M:TG) has video reviews for almost every sleeve on the market if you want to do some more research into the different brands.
Yeah they will go back... Aren't Ultra Pro Eclipse with back only? Ultimate Guard does not seem available here for the "US card size" :-(

That mayday sleeve is definitely too big for the card size. There's a giant BGG list somewhere that has card sizes for games, and I can try to look it up if you want. If you DID order precisely the right card size then it's a mayday manufacturing issue and (if you don't mind the hassle of emailing them) they should replace the set for you 100% free.

In fact, even the FFG sleeve you have looks too big to me since I can see air on either side of the card.
The Chimera sleeves, recommended in the BGG thread you mentioned. They are even a bit smaller than the Fantasy Flight ones.

Sorry for double post!
Gotcha, sorry to hear that then. I would guess the standard might have worked, but who knows, they could be too small and I see they're sold out online (which is weird).

If you have time and want to try getting them replaced, you could email [email protected] with the video and the name of the game. They've been very helpful to me in the past.

Gotcha, sorry to hear that then. I would guess the standard might have worked, but who knows, they could be too small and I see they're sold out online (which is weird).

If you have time and want to try getting them replaced, you could email [email protected] with the video and the name of the game. They've been very helpful to me in the past.
Thanks for the help. I am coming to a point where sleeving becomes more of a hassle and is harming my cards than helping protecting them. I will try emailing them about the standard size cards.

Thanks for the help. I am coming to a point where sleeving becomes more of a hassle and is harming my cards than helping protecting them. I will try emailing them about the standard size cards.
I hear you, I mostly only do it for collection stuff (Destiny), games where shuffling happens a lot (deckbuilders), and rare/expensive games (Gloomhaven, out of print stuff imported games, etc.).

Yeah they will go back... Aren't Ultra Pro Eclipse with back only? Ultimate Guard does not seem available here for the "US card size" :-(
I personally haven't used any Eclipse cards, since I went down the Ultimate Guard route. No one in town stocks them here either (at least not that I've found), so I order them by the case from potomacdist.

I hear you, I mostly only do it for collection stuff (Destiny), games where shuffling happens a lot (deckbuilders), and rare/expensive games (Gloomhaven, out of print stuff imported games, etc.).
I do want to sleeve my Munchkin and Dominion games, plus everything good looking and kickstarter (so basically everything, haha).

I personally haven't used any Eclipse cards, since I went down the Ultimate Guard route. No one in town stocks them here either (at least not that I've found), so I order them by the case from potomacdist.
I only have US and EURO card size games right now, Ultimate Guard does not seem to have something for those?

I only have US and EURO card size games right now, Ultimate Guard does not seem to have something for those?
It looks like they make them.

https://ultimateguard.com/en/board-game-sleeves/supreme-board-game-sleeves

• 7 Wonders™ and more
  • Tarot and more
  • Square
  • Standard European Board Game
  • Mini European Board Game
  • Standard American Board Game
  • Mini American Board Game
  • X-Wing™ Miniatures Game and more
I have mostly Standard card game sized, but also have some square ones for 7th Continent that are fine. They're a good brand, and I wish they were more widely available. The price point is that sweet spot between FFG and Dragon Shield.

Thanks! :-) Their website and size listing rouses confidence, Now I need to look where I can get them.
No dice at amazon(de/at), at least they have different sizes than the official website, haha.

My SO destroyed me in Smash Up heh, she seems to like it but said Dominion is better - no surprises there :-)
I looked into more deck building games and looks like Race for the Galaxy is the next one I will get. It recieved a new print from Pegasus this year.

Thanks! I used that thread for ordering my first sleeves but seems like there are still size differences for euro/us "US card sizes".
Blizzard Btw. I already recieved an answer from Mayday support - basically they wrote I should use premium ones if I want that kind of quality as the other two in the video.

I try docsmagic now and see how they fit/feel. They are all available for me and are widely in stock and not too expensive in premium form. Will report back :)

I looked into more deck building games and looks like Race for the Galaxy is the next one I will get. It recieved a new print from Pegasus this year.
RftG is a fantastic game, but it's not a deckbuilder. It's more of a medium-weight Euro board game (specifically Puerto Rico) rebuilt to use cards (and VP chips) as the only components (and to be faster and more replayable).

RftG is a fantastic game, but it's not a deckbuilder. It's more of a medium-weight Euro board game (specifically Puerto Rico) rebuilt to use cards (and VP chips) as the only components (and to be faster and more replayable).
Thanks for the clarification! That also sounds neat and I could use more space themed games. I want to get into euro board games as well, but games like Terra Mystica Or Gaia Project scare me a bit (if those fit into euro games)

My SO destroyed me in Smash Up heh, she seems to like it but said Dominion is better - no surprises there :-)
I'm glad to hear it has a new print. I wonder if any rules will change. Be aware that Race is not a deckbuilder, it's a plateau builder. Dominion and Valley of the Kings are deckbuilders.

Blizzard Btw. I already recieved an answer from Mayday support - basically they wrote I should use premium ones if I want that kind of quality as the other two in the video.

I try docsmagic now and see how they fit/feel. They are all available for me and are widely in stock and not too expensive in premium form. Will report back :)
Ah, I must have used premium then. I know I avoided the absolute cheapest mayday quality level.

Depends upon what you’re looking for when trying to get new deck builders. If you want something more competitive look into star/hero realms, thunderstone quest, or ascension. If you want something you can so cooperatively look into legendary/encounters with whatever theme you enjoy most (marvel, alien, buffy, etc) or harry potter hogwarts battle.

I love smash up but it’s not truly a deck builder I would argue the “deck building” part of the game is more of a drafting mechanic since the decks are pre-built and you don’t mix and match cards.

Thanks again to all of you! I am currently drowning in new games so I might hold off until christmas.
As for Smash Up as deckbuilding - playing with zombies kinda feels like deck building sometimes and I guess there are similar races throughout the expansions?
I considered the raptor card to be very OP btw. My SO loved it... ;-)

We received our Kickstarter bundle of Deep Madness (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness) yesterday and we gave it a test run.

It's BRUTAL. We failed the starting scenario and we weren't even close to winning.

The mechanics are very fun and on the right level of complexity for us (it's a bit more "boardgamey" than Gloomhaven and ultimately less ambitious, it feels more like an evolved, cooperative Space Hulk than your average dungeon crawler). The miniatures are INCREDIBLE and the atmosphere, if you're into Lovecraft/Dead Space/sci-horror is fantastic.

I'll have to play more but the first impressions are really, really positive.

I just ordered Food Chain Magnate after hearing it was supposed to be great with two and my wife was really intrigued by it. Any of you play it?