BREXIT |OT| A minister always pays his debts

I geniunely believe the Conservatives are mentally impaired at this point. It’s been obvious ever since Chequers happened that it’s a plan which will never be accepted by the EU anyway, yet they keep doggedly arguing over it. What’s the bloody point if it’s never going to happen either way?

Article 50’s two years have been entirely wasted due to their pointless internal posturing and I will hold the party responsible until the end of my days barring some massive internal upheaval

I geniunely believe the Conservatives are mentally impaired at this point. It’s been obvious ever since Chequers happened that it’s a plan which will never be accepted by the EU anyway, yet they keep doggedly arguing over it. What’s the bloody point if it’s never going to happen either way?

Article 50’s two years have been entirely wasted due to their pointless internal posturing and I will hold the party responsible until the end of my days barring some massive internal upheaval
Because as always this fight is nothing to do with Europe. It’s entirely a Conservative party war, over the general approach to Europe - close ties and mimicking of rules, or hard brexit. The fact the EU has rejected the specific plan doesn’t matter to them because they don’t really care.

The tories have always been utterly consumed by inter-party warfare over Europe, and this is an extension of that. They have never understood Europe, or made an attempt to (look at how badly David Cameron did there, and he was normally considered a slick operator). It’s the ultimate example of putting party above country.

They can only two things. Pointless vanity projects that are never going to happen like a stupid bridge or a Little England or write self serving opinion pieces for the Torygraph that have no bearing on reality. If there was a halfway competent opposition the country might have had a chance.

The point of Chequers was never to be a viable plan.

It was so the Conservatives can say "Well at least we tried, it was the EU that refused to deal!" when No Deal happens. They want to be able to put as much blame onto the EU as possible.

The worst part of it all and, other then the Tories of course, biggest cobtributor to how fucked this situation is are the press.

James O'brien explains it best, except this applies to every negative aspect of brexit and the outcomes from leaving.

how far away are we from the Tories blaming EU/Labour/SNP/Lib Dems for the red lines that make Chequers fail?

"we tried but they wouldn't give in to our unworkable plan. blame everyone but us!"

They're just doing their own version.
"Our mythical plan that never even got proposed to the EU would have definitely been accepted right away, you should blame the EU AND Theresa May not the Conservatives for the awful situation the country is in"
She's the scapegoat, she was always going to the scapegoat for what happened. It's the reason why Boris didn't go for the job when Camero resigned. Everyone jumped on the Gove betrayed him nonsense, but that's just a convenient narrative he took advantage of. He's slowly planting the seeds of being a viable leader post Brexit and I've noticed some people are already lapping it up like the brainless dogs they are.

Yeah, we would have delivered a unicorn but we already moved house so what you going to do, blame the EU, May, Remoaners for every shit thing that happens is on them but let's get on with it, hard choices but we will make the best of it, sooo workers rights, taxes cut etc. I think they'll make this mess better, sometimes you have to make tough choices, truuuuuust innnnnn meeeeee!

https://news.sky.com/story/foreign-...ompares-eu-to-prison-of-soviet-union-11513718

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt compares EU to 'prison' of Soviet Union

Jeremy Hunt has compared the EU to the "prison" of the Soviet Union as it tries to prevent member states from leaving.

In a notable speech at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham, the foreign secretary warned Brussels against rejecting the "hand of friendship" offered by Theresa May.
That’ll mend some fences.

https://news.sky.com/story/foreign-...ompares-eu-to-prison-of-soviet-union-11513718

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt compares EU to 'prison' of Soviet Union

That’ll mend some fences.
How can they say that shit with a straight face. They've been nothing but treacherous, callous lying bullshitters throughout the negotiations.

You have Reese Mog and others advocating for not paying the withdrawal fee(that we already agreed and are required to pay) and other basically evil and underhanded tactics thinking their negotiating strategies. That's bribery pure and simple.

If we go with these evil cunts we're be lucky if the rest of the world spits on us let alone even getting crappy deals.

I wonder would either of them find enough support among Tory MPs to be picked for the 2 nominees that the membership chooses between? They'd have to get over that hurdle first.

Just considering all the working class people who are usually committed to voting against their own interests that I know, I think mogg is just too much for them. Boris still has some appeal, Mogg is just too openly posh and weird to win them over. If Corbyn can get the same momentum behind that he had in the last campaign I'm confident he could win, but still having Mogg that close to being PM is a scary thought.

Problem is too many in this country conflate ‘posh’ with intellect and authority. Boris is actually a perfect illustration of that given his years of bewildering popularity despite offering nothing of substance.

Well on News today I heard the Canadian trade minister (from Canada) saying that in their trade deal there is a clause that if the EU or Canada, give preferential deals to other countries, they have to pay the difference to the losing country

So he was saying it is impossible for the UK to have a Canada ++++ deal as the EU would have to pay massive penalties to Canada, the most UK can have is the same deal as them

Last edited:
Yeah, would love a Corbyn vs Mogg general election.

Corbyn would get a massive majority and we could have a proper lefty government for a few years
The numbers just don’t stack up for that...1997 landslide for Labour was a outlier...a hugely popular opposition leader, who took centre ground vs John Major, and Labour choose a song that defined the state of the country

The Tories will always get 35% or so....40% last time with a horrendous campaign, Labour will almost certainly be in a coalition...Corbyn simply is not popular enough, and left wing goverments are just not that popular

The numbers just don’t stack up for that...1997 landslide for Labour was a outlier...a hugely popular opposition leader, who took centre ground, vs John Major lol

The Tories will always get 35% or so....40% last time with a horrendous campaign, Labour will almost certainly be in a coalition...Corbyn simply is not popular enough, and left wing goverments are just not that popular
I honestly wouldn’t mind Labour forming a coalition with the SNP, they have plenty of stuff they agree on number being their common dislike of the Tories.

I honestly wouldn’t mind Labour forming a coalition with the SNP, they have plenty of stuff they agree on number being their common dislike of the Tories.
Problem with that is this country does not seem to react well to coalitions, ask the Lib Dem’s, and the coalition party seems to get all the blame...

So SNP would do well to remember that

Problem with that is this country does not seem to react well to coalitions, ask the Lib Dem’s, and the coalition party seems to get all the blame...

So SNP would do well to remember that
I would argue a coalition SNP/DUP is different to that of one with the LibDems.
LibDems also went into coalition with the Tories and essentially got nothing campaign promise wise out of it. Tuition Fees being the major one.

Mogg is basically a Victorian painting that's come to life to haunt the country. Watching the working class vote for him because he talks all posh like would be tragic.

I would argue a coalition SNP/DUP is different to that of one with the LibDems.
LibDems also went into coalition with the Tories and essentially got nothing campaign promise wise out of it. Tuition Fees being the major one.
Absolutely, the lie over tuition killed them....

But UK voters being run from Scotland.... reckon that will not go well