BREXIT |OT| A minister always pays his debts

Real talk. I would vote Tories every election from now on if they do introduce the policy "bring back public hanging of anyone suggesting colonialism as a solution for Britain, ironically or not".

Your move, Theresa.

You Brits do learn about colonialism and how inherently evil and destructive it is in school and these are just some ignorant idiots who wanted to get a reaction out if people.....right ?

I have to admit colonialism was a very small part of our history courses back in school ( gotta make room for the post napoleon unification hijinks and nazis, nazis, nazis) but our teacher was always very clear how Europe did the world dirty.
lmao when i was at school, it was basically "hey we went to all these cool places and brought back carpets, forks and figs! What great international friends we have!"

Britain's Johnson would delay Brexit if he became PM: Sun newspaper

Boris Johnson, Britain’s former foreign minister, has told senior members of the governing Conservative Party he would delay Brexit by at least six months if he became prime minister, the Sun newspaper said on Monday. Reuters.

I know just posting a story isn’t really constructive, but I really don’t know what to say about this idea.

The Sun reported that Johnson had been privately setting out his leadership platform to some ministers in Prime Minister Theresa May’s government and said he wanted to use a pause to reset the stalled Brexit negotiations.
Another six months of burying their heads in the sand, more like.

I know just posting a story isn’t really constructive, but I really don’t know what to say about this idea.
It's mental. Currently it's totally within the EU's control, he's proposing renaging on all that's currently 'agreed' while using the six months to 'strengthen' the UK's position by ramping up no deal preparations. Why on earth would the EU agree to a reduction in their negotiation leverage.

lmao when i was at school, it was basically "hey we went to all these cool places and brought back carpets, forks and figs! What great international friends we have!"
I left school in the early 2000's. Colonialism wasn't even mentioned. We did WW2/Nazism, history of Ireland and the Troubles. Fairly sure that's it for High School. The only thing I remember from Primary School was the Potato Famine.

Yeah, even when I moved countries, the subject was pretty much presented like that. Exciting travels, exotic herbs and spices, innovative inventions, exploitationsubjugationandmassacringofpeople, and the finest fabrics! Europeans sure were enriching themselves, both culturally and literally.

All I remember about colonialism in school were things like ‘we built the fantastic Indian railway system, wasn’t the British Empire generous’, rather than you know, why it was built.

Honestly it was only the internet and exposure to people from other countries that snapped me out of that way of thinking. I’d never even heard of the Bengal famine, or thought about how much of a shitshow the partition was until I was an adult. But I sure as hell knew about all those bloody railways.

History in British schools is terrible, I mean maybe things have changed since I left secondary school 17 years ago but my whole history education, looking back, just felt like British propaganda that whitewashed all of the horrible stuff we did over the years.

It's no wonder we have so many gammons around.

Like.... what? How the fuck are these mongrels still stuck in the 18th century.
It is simple, some of them are degenerates. They're most likely the children of businessmen, bankers and other white collar positions. They are the ones that can't do a hard days honest work and will most likely take credit from their employees work.

In basic terms, they're the people that we should discard.

So this whole post Brexit immigration stuff is fairly amusing.
Lots of people during the referendum we're complaining about Muslims taking over our country and we needed to stop that.
The fact that no country in the EU was predominantly muslim seemed to pass them by, but hey ho.

Now, post brexit, it's highly likely higher numbers of people from more muslim countries will be allowed in.

Delicious irony

You Brits do learn about colonialism and how inherently evil and destructive it is in school and these are just some ignorant idiots who wanted to get a reaction out if people.....right ?
Nup, never mentioned (although I only had history for the first 4 (of 6) years of Secondary school, other pupils may only have had 2). The Empire only fleetingly came up when covering WWI.

So this whole post Brexit immigration stuff is fairly amusing.
Lots of people during the referendum we're complaining about Muslims taking over our country and we needed to stop that.
The fact that no country in the EU was predominantly muslim seemed to pass them by, but hey ho.

Now, post brexit, it's highly likely higher numbers of people from more muslim countries will be allowed in.

Delicious irony
I've heard it all.

Fabric of society is changing!

They'll out breed us!

Basically they fear any change whatsoever and culture is like poison apparently. There is a bad side obviously as with most things but you know if you applied the laws, enforced the laws, didn't make cuts to border security, home office, policing etc. you would nip the bad minority side to immigration.

I wish the journalists would take the politicians to task, they did sod all about rest of the world migration, did sod all about enforcing all EU polices. It's like they stoked fear to get this end game and really I doubt migration will change much except you'll discourage EU nationals coming. Immigration isn't going to stop. The government don't want it to stop. EU nationals are net contributor to the UK and not a drain, considerably more than rest of the world migration as per their own reports who are also net contributors but a lot less.

Let me get this straight: in Germany we had the evils of the Nazi regime every year for at least the last 5 years of school in one or more different classes (history, German language, religion/ethics, French, social studies) *and* our own brief colonial status and its atrocities in history class and the UK teaches TIGER FURS FUCK YEAH?

Like calling slaves migrant labour in US textbooks that explains a whole lot.

PS: "Young Tories" means those posh dickhead recruits from the first Kingsman, I imagine.

Let me get this straight: in Germany we had the evils of the Nazi regime every year for at least the last 5 years of school in one or more different classes (history, German language, religion/ethics, French, social studies) *and* our own brief colonial status and its atrocities in history class and the UK teaches TIGER FURS FUCK YEAH?
Pretty much, yeah. Also see what is taught about Churchill versus the entirety of his history.

At best, British education simply glosses over everything and most people don't really think about it. Most people end up with a vague, incorrect idea that colonialism is probably bad, but that the British Empire did good things too. See also: Japan kinda skipping around the whole screwing over Korea/China for a few decades thing.

to be honest I was taught pretty extensively about how horrible the empire was and slavery etc in school.
I probably learned more about slavery in America during my childhood than I ever did about the evils of colonialism. This was in the late 90s/early 2000s

I thought the young tories recognised a guardian journalist and decided to say something outrageous. They would have to be on a different planet than usual to think the UK could muster the strength for military action in Africa.

How old are you guys that you're being taught triumphalist stories of the rise of the British Empire? I'm in my mid 30s and my history lessons were predominately about the travails of peasants during the middle ages (and always about how grim things were in the past). Did the British exceptionalism syllabus come after that or are you all older than me?

Chlorine-washed chicken is 'clean chicken', former Brexit minister says

In an interview on the Today programme this morning Steve Baker, the former Brexit minister and a leading figure in the European Research Group, which is pushing for a harder Brexit, said chlorine-washed chicken was just “clean chicken”.
You dirty remoaners with your dirty chicken. Clean means clean.