Celeste |OT| Straw-belay

It's finally over.. I nearly fumbled the last heart on 8-C.

This game blew me away! There's not a dull moment in the main story stages. I already replayed through those on a second file just for fun. I loved every bit of the game (excluding 5-C, and 7-C, those two levels just made me cranky). The movement feels so good to control, and the story and music are sublime. I might go for golden strawberries for the remaining A sides, because I feel like I haven't had enough of this game yet.

I thought I was done with Celeste. Fantastic game, hard to top.

Started playing Golf Story, which was next on my list, but I just couldn't stop thinking about those precision jumps and dashes; I saw Madeline in front of me, climbing the cupboards, wall-jumping the space between the TV and the door frame.

So I started a new file, thought I'd set a new goal for myself: 100%ing the game (minus golden strawberries of course) with less than 1000 deaths!

And wow. I have so many thoughts. The game is even more amazing to me now. The stages have become muscle memory, and I keep wanting to go for 0 deaths instead of just continuing to the next stage.

The B sides are the hardest for me. The C sides made me think "what, that's all? I died so much on this short level the first time around!?" They can be finished in less than a minute, which makes them ideal for golden strawberry runs! There's usually one or two quite easy rooms, and then one long one. If you managed the long one without the golden mushroom (damn, did I just say mushroom?), then why couldn't you with it! Try it, it's very satisfying!

Anyway, finished my second run now, 11 golden strawberries. The long levels are too tedious to try.

Time to move on to Golf Story. Hmmmm, or maybe try a sub-100 deaths run.....

I thought I was done with Celeste. Fantastic game, hard to top.

Started playing Golf Story, which was next on my list, but I just couldn't stop thinking about those precision jumps and dashes; I saw Madeline in front of me, climbing the cupboards, wall-jumping the space between the TV and the door frame.

So I started a new file, thought I'd set a new goal for myself: 100%ing the game (minus golden strawberries of course) with less than 1000 deaths!

Anyway, finished my second run now, 11 golden strawberries. The long levels are too tedious to try.

Time to move on to Golf Story. Hmmmm, or maybe try a sub-100 deaths run.....
Your image isn't included, but wow all the same. Wondering if theres some nut out there who's gonna 100% on 0 deaths....

Ok this is really starting to piss me off now. HOW IN THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GET IN THE GAP FOR THE FINAL SECTION OF 7C?!

You bounce on the third cloud, dash through the gap, dash up to the bounce pad which launches you right. Ok. THEN YOU ARE CLEARLY NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO STRAIGHT DASH THROUGH THE SPIKE GAP NOR IS THERE ROOM TO DIAGONAL DASH. WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!

What pisses me off most is that I have no ability to figure it out with consistent practice since I have to go through the fucking gauntlet to get back to this part. Which I'm getting more consistent at but it still takes time and I'm by no means getting there every time.

Ok I'v figured that out. Now for the next segment to rage at.

Ok this is really starting to piss me off now. HOW IN THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GET IN THE GAP FOR THE FINAL SECTION OF 7C?!

You bounce on the third cloud, dash through the gap, dash up to the bounce pad which launches you right. Ok. THEN YOU ARE CLEARLY NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO STRAIGHT DASH THROUGH THE SPIKE GAP NOR IS THERE ROOM TO DIAGONAL DASH. WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!

What pisses me off most is that I have no ability to figure it out with consistent practice since I have to go through the fucking gauntlet to get back to this part. Which I'm getting more consistent at but it still takes time and I'm by no means getting there every time.

Ok I'v figured that out. Now for the next segment to rage at.
I've been going up and over instead of threw that gap at the bottom. This way you approach the launch pad from the top and can make the gap. Now I need to figure out how to get through the final section. 7C is easily the hardest thing I've ever played

So I got this game last week and I'm loving it. Beat the game, then found all the regular strawberries and now I'm working on the B sides. Just finished Golden Ridge B side gonna take a break.

I also wanted to share with you guys a part of chapter 3 when I first played through the game that scared the shit out of me. I was making my way to what I thought was close to the end of the hotel, and the music started getting fucked up. I figured since it was a haunted hotel, it was a moment where the dev was gonna break the 4th wall and mess with the game somehow to freak you out. I made a quick video of it, figured you guys could see what I mean :P

Holy shit, fuck chapter 8 so hard. It took me an hour and what had to have been >1000 deaths (considering I finished with ~1700 and I did not die a ridiculous amount otherwise) just to finish a single screen near the end.

I did amazingly my first try without thinking, for once didn’t record it, and so could never quite replicate that. Even when I found an approach that should have worked consistently it was basically down to sheer luck and in the meantime I’d die in seconds. At least I did get the berry on that screen when I beat it, so I don’t ever have to see that screen again.

how the hell are you even supposed to aim the smaller lava blocks, in the section with 4 of them, 2 on each side, as the lava rises?

I always went bottom right to top left to going up through the hole, except whoops sometimes the right one shot me too far vertically or horizontally or into spikes or whatever the fuck it felt like because I could feel no difference in what I was doing

and before that it took me fucking forever to figure out the timing on the blocks

of course, I’m a fool who decided to do all the other B-sides and save doing 8 and 8-B for last, so beyond the one berry I missed the next time I play I have to head straight into hell with this mechanic again

I'm finally ready to purchase this game, and I'm struggling between the Switch and PS4 versions. The former is an obvious choice, for me, but I'm *really* nervous about the controls since I'd mostly be playing it handheld. What's the consensus on using the joy cons?

I'm finally ready to purchase this game, and I'm struggling between the Switch and PS4 versions. The former is an obvious choice, for me, but I'm *really* nervous about the controls since I'd mostly be playing it handheld. What's the consensus on using the joy cons?
There doesn’t seem to be much of a consensus, which is unfortunate for you.

I love the joycons in general, so I’m biased, I guess. But for me the joycon d-pad has been fantastic and worked perfectly; it does hurt/numb the tip of my thumb a bit if I play for a very long time though. The analog stick has been less great and I mess up diagonals when I try to use it, I think largely due to how I’m naturally holding/tilting the Switch?

Meanwhile I’ve seen people complain about messing up dash angles on the d-pad, so I’m not sure what’s different between me and then.

I finally finished the B sides, for the more masochistic folks out there I'm sure this was a grand ol' time, but really the later B sides just felt like an exercise in smashing my face into a brick wall until it broke, never really feeling accomplished, just "why am I doing this again?"

The mechanic ideas in this game are top notch but fuck me if they don't have some quirks and oddities that diminish the plus points from my point of view.
A combination of B side rooms set up in a rather one track "you will do it exactly like this and only this" combined with some of more fiddly variable mechanics (when you got those bouncing lava blocks and springy blue doodads that shimmy ever so slightly) that also require you to bound at an incredibly precise angle between rows and columns of spikes, it's just a bit too much for me.
Sometimes it can feel like solving the puzzle of the room is enough of a challenge in itself and then the way some insta-death hazards are overly sprinkled in on top of them seems excessive.

On the other hand it makes me appreciate the standard stages a lot more, there's something to be said for having more freedom for expression, with the more lenient layouts and skills you pick up across the game, revisiting these can feel liberating by comparison.
Also the chapter 2 antimatter blocks are still the game's best mechanic.

Been having a great time with this game, it reminds me heavily of learning combos in fighting games and i feel like my execution/timing in dbfz has been improved by this game

There doesn’t seem to be much of a consensus, which is unfortunate for you.

I love the joycons in general, so I’m biased, I guess. But for me the joycon d-pad has been fantastic and worked perfectly; it does hurt/numb the tip of my thumb a bit if I play for a very long time though. The analog stick has been less great and I mess up diagonals when I try to use it, I think largely due to how I’m naturally holding/tilting the Switch?

Meanwhile I’ve seen people complain about messing up dash angles on the d-pad, so I’m not sure what’s different between me and then.
Well, that's still helpful. That there isn't a consensus means I can probably just bite the bullet on the Switch version and hope for the best.

I'm jealous - I'm at the last part (the gauntlet with all the diamonds at the very end). SOOOOO close. I've died well over 1000 times. I also have officially turned the music off because it was starting to get to me.
That's one of the problems with the B/C sides I think, redoing the same part over and over. There should just be a checkpoint-like system, like if you did this part of the room 200 times without dying, you can skip it.

Also victory finally:

.... HOW?

It must be a script playing it right? How does a human body do this?!
yes, its a tool assisted run - you basically program the timing and the inputs. there are some speedrunners who can almost match TAS runs in some games though (i think Super Mario Bros1 has very similar times between TAS runs and the RTA speedruns?)

Some people use TAS runs as a "theoretical" fastest time for RTA speedrunners to achieve.

yes, its a tool assisted run - you basically program the timing and the inputs. there are some speedrunners who can almost match TAS runs in some games though (i think Super Mario Bros1 has very similar times between TAS runs and the RTA speedruns?)

Some people use TAS runs as a "theoretical" fastest time for RTA speedrunners to achieve.
Even with a tool... it's kinda insane some of those moves it does. I swear it was dashing again in mid-air before getting the double dash. How is this done?

Even with a tool... it's kinda insane some of those moves it does. I swear it was dashing again in mid-air before getting the double dash. How is this done?
You might be referring to the bounce on the ground - if you dash into the ground, you'll rebound and that'll set you up for another dash -

there are some advanced techniques you can do

Just finished 3C, godamnit that last section was a pain. Not looking forward to 7C, but I'm not even gonna see what it looks like until I get to it :P

Game is awesome but godamn is it not frustrating at times.

I finally finished the B sides, for the more masochistic folks out there I'm sure this was a grand ol' time, but really the later B sides just felt like an exercise in smashing my face into a brick wall until it broke, never really feeling accomplished, just "why am I doing this again?"

The mechanic ideas in this game are top notch but fuck me if they don't have some quirks and oddities that diminish the plus points from my point of view.
A combination of B side rooms set up in a rather one track "you will do it exactly like this and only this" combined with some of more fiddly variable mechanics (when you got those bouncing lava blocks and springy blue doodads that shimmy ever so slightly) that also require you to bound at an incredibly precise angle between rows and columns of spikes, it's just a bit too much for me.
Sometimes it can feel like solving the puzzle of the room is enough of a challenge in itself and then the way some insta-death hazards are overly sprinkled in on top of them seems excessive.

On the other hand it makes me appreciate the standard stages a lot more, there's something to be said for having more freedom for expression, with the more lenient layouts and skills you pick up across the game, revisiting these can feel liberating by comparison.
Also the chapter 2 antimatter blocks are still the game's best mechanic.
I agree, especially on the Reflection chapter some of the mechanics can get very frustrating. I love challenging games but I really feel they should lower it a notch, some sections are just unnecessarily precise IMO.

Just beat 7-C - no joke, that was the proudest I've felt playing a game in the 28 years I've been playing games
I almost felt the same way, when I beat 8-C. Not because 8-C was harder than 7-C, but because that was the final challenge I needed to get the full 1000/1000 on the XB1 version.

To me beating 8-C in Celete is tied with beating New York Minute Hardcore on Max Payne 3 with me for the most happy I've been in overcoming a gaming challenge.

What a fucking masterpiece. I wasn't expecting to be so blown away by it. 10/10.
Absolutely bruv. I still maintain that this is my game of the gen. And I can't imagine anything other than maybe to INSIDE, or Life Is Strange 2, topping this. And I'm pretty sure none of those have a chance of coming out this gen.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or has the recent patch (on Switch) done a number on this game? I returned to it for the first time in over a month to clean up some crystal hearts and run 8-A for the first time, and sound problems/cut-outs and pauses/interruptions on certain actions (like making contact with feathers) seem more severe than I remembered. I encountered a hard crash when I finished 8-A and clicked through the stage-complete artwork. And now that I look over my records, all of my speed records for standard clears in stages 1 through 7 have been wiped (though thankfully, I had previously saved them in a screenshot). Are these known issues?

At 171 strawberries now; not sure if I'll clean up the missing ones (all in 8-A) before I proceed to the B-sides. I admire so much about this game, but control frustrations, like the cloud-bounce timing or the tightness of diagonal aiming in certain places, may still preclude me from finding the patience to chase full clears in B and C. Passing a screen once isn't the same thing as passing it consistently, and often it seems like certain obstacles are a matter of chance because there is so much variance to whether I'll hit the right bounce timing or hit the diagonal I intended.

Finally managed to pick this up and have been loving the he'll out of it. I'm pretty close to the end of the story I think (just finished Mirror Temple) and have beaten the first 3 or 4 B-sides. It does a great job of mixing Super Meat Boy's style of platforming with exploration and atmosphere. The result is far superior imo.

Does every level have a blue heart? I've only found one by accident. To be fair the only level I've actually scoured is the first, but I didn't find a heart there either (is it related to that strange satellite and birds?)!

Does every level have a blue heart? I've only found one by accident. To be fair the only level I've actually scoured is the first, but I didn't find a heart there either (is it related to that strange satellite and birds?)!
Each level does have a blue heart to find.
Yes. The satellite and the birds are related to the first blue heart.

Is it just me, or has the recent patch (on Switch) done a number on this game? I returned to it for the first time in over a month to clean up some crystal hearts and run 8-A for the first time, and sound problems/cut-outs and pauses/interruptions on certain actions (like making contact with feathers) seem more severe than I remembered. I encountered a hard crash when I finished 8-A and clicked through the stage-complete artwork. And now that I look over my records, all of my speed records for standard clears in stages 1 through 7 have been wiped (though thankfully, I had previously saved them in a screenshot). Are these known issues?

At 171 strawberries now; not sure if I'll clean up the missing ones (all in 8-A) before I proceed to the B-sides. I admire so much about this game, but control frustrations, like the cloud-bounce timing or the tightness of diagonal aiming in certain places, may still preclude me from finding the patience to chase full clears in B and C. Passing a screen once isn't the same thing as passing it consistently, and often it seems like certain obstacles are a matter of chance because there is so much variance to whether I'll hit the right bounce timing or hit the diagonal I intended.
Speedrun records being cleared is intentional; they changed how the timer works and wanted to clear them ASAP before the game’s speedrunning community really develops. It’s in the changelog on their site if you check, near the top.

Personally, I had my first crash ever happen when finishing 8-B, similarly right as it was returning to chapter select after the artwork (and the message for finishing all B-sides); thankfully it did save me finishing/my death count. I have to assume it was patched beforehand as it was patched when I opened it immediately after (as I also noticed the speedrun times cleared) but I’m not sure.

For the clouds, this might sound patronizing but as someone who had a ton of trouble with them in the -Bs for a while: look at them closely as you use them, and examine the timing of their animation. Once I did that, and realized how clearly they were “bouncing” up in the animation, the timing for jumping with them clicked completely and they were never an issue again! Meanwhile... the blocks you launch off of in 8 cost me >1000 deaths in a single screen (after doing it mostly fine my first attempt...) but I eventually managed to beat that and thankfully got the berry as I did. And I was able to do it again more easily when I came back the next day to see if I was just on a tilt, and 8-B is not nearly as demanding with using that gimmick consecutively like that. I do think that it’s really finicky and hard to use consistently, which was particularly annoying coming off of the first 7 B sides and enjoying how much “tighter” the screens were with what they demanded of you.

...so I’m basically done with the game then, in that I don’t intend to keep focusing on playing the game for the C-sides. But I also immediately did 1-C after 8-B, so... I’ll still be chipping away at them enough to not get rusty, I think! It’s got its hooks in me still...

I jumped back into this game this week, its soooo good.

It's next to DKC Tropical Freeze as best raw 2D platformers. This game is amazing, I'm making my way through the B-sides...

Each level does have a blue heart to find.
Yes. The satellite and the birds are related to the first blue heart.
Thanks! I ended up having to look it up since I had absolutely no clue what to do, heh. Obvious in hindsight.

Does anyone else have issues with diagonals on Switch? I'm not sure I've encountered this sort of problem in any other platformers I've played. Half of the time I die trying to execute diagonal dashes when I end up going straight up/down instead. Kind of frustrating.

Thanks! I ended up having to look it up since I had absolutely no clue what to do, heh. Obvious in hindsight.

Does anyone else have issues with diagonals on Switch? I'm not sure I've encountered this sort of problem in any other platformers I've played. Half of the time I die trying to execute diagonal dashes when I end up going straight up/down instead. Kind of frustrating.
I do on the analog stick but am pretty much perfectly accurate on the d-pad; using joycons, to be clear.

If you’re using the stick, are you playing handheld? I found that I was tilting the screen without thinking in a way that was making me offset the directions a bit. But I never put the effort into fixing how I was holding it since it was a thing I noticed very late, and I’m fine with using the d-pad for everything except one mechanic and anything quick I have to do after it that doesn’t give me enough time to switch back.