Celeste |OT| Straw-belay

Just bought it and played the first level, holy shit. It's so good. Mechanically I like it more than N or SMB, I'm really surprised. I'd love to get rid of those dumb fuck voice noises though.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Just got the golden strawberry in Chapter 4 B-Side.

Along with defeating Christopher Robin, probably the hardest thing I've ever successfully accomplished in gaming.

Whew.

They've kind of harmed the experience honestly. I skip all text because I can't deal with the noise. It's not as bad as Okami, but it's close.
Oooh, boy I would really suggest just muting it during talking in that case.

I really loved the story/dialogue and would strongly suggest not skipping it.

They've kind of harmed the experience honestly. I skip all text because I can't deal with the noise. It's not as bad as Okami, but it's close.

Yeah, mute. You don't want to skip. Celeste's story is really great and thought provoking - it deals with depression, anxiety, self doubt, and internal struggles that all people have (I watched some youtube videos yesterday of people analyzing the story's meaning - and the brilliant way they conveyed mental illness/issues using game play and graphics). It's one of the highlights of the game, not a throwaway.

Finished all the levels now.

Game is great. I give a 10/10 to he Main Story, a 7/10 to the B-Sides (not all the mechanics in the game are precise enough for ultra hard levels IMO) and a 10/10 to the C-Sides (much shorter than B-Sides and don't use the less precise mechanics as much). Doing precise boost wall jumps in the C-Sides was hard but really fun. Mirror Temple was the roughest one IMO.

Did you notice that the pitch of the voiceovers changes when the characters are upset, annoyed or in distress. I thought that was a nice touch and I’m wondering if that aspect would change your opinion (if you haven’t already noticed it).

Last screen of Chapter 5 C kicking my ass. I think a recent update "balanced" this level and it seems much harder now than before (I was watching some old Youtube videos of it).

I couldn’t help myself from playing more and did 2-C yesterday. Only took me 20 minutes as only the third screen was hard.

Not that it was anything particularly ridiculous even then, just a lot of demanding quick and accurate inputs for a longer stretch than most screens. Still, it felt really really good to feel myself consistently progressing through it and having the majority of my deaths close to my furthest point. I’m surprised I was able to get some parts down to basically being muscle memory within minutes, and I know that’s due to what the game’s had me do so far, which makes the whole thing that much more rad.

Gah I didn't know this OT existed! Jeez from the moment I finished the prologue I pledged myself a fan.

Not only is the story beautiful, the gameplay mechanics are so vividly simple, and focused, yet original. It's the type of gameplay that promises a strong foundation for a series(so long as they stick to the core formula), and I hope dearly this isn't the last we see of Celeste.

I'm a huge platformer fan, and I honestly believe Celeste is one of the best more-recent platformers out there. I say this because the game is all sorts of vertical and horizontal platforming. Each challenge(within the story) is heavily tested to work well. Outside of the mechanics, the game is intriguing. The environments, the lore, the events. It's all a big puzzle that connects you to the main character, and remains innocent enough in it's presentation to be tastefully devilish.

I can't praise this game enough... But I'll stop here before this becomes a book. Feels great to finally get this out of me.

Just finished 8C. 100% of the strawberries, all hearts and cleared all A, B and C sides. What a challenge.

A bit over 8000 deaths. I rarely if ever felt frustrated with the game. The controls were tight throughout, I played the whole game with the Switch Pro Controller.

An absolute gem of a game. Perfect challenging platformer for the Switch.

After a long layoff (fighting the analog stick and then d-pad got to my psyche), dove back in and cleared 5 and 6 last night.

Switching between the analog stick and back to the d-pad for precision was, uh, interesting, but it worked well enough.
Gotta get this. But: Is this a D-pad game? That might strongly affect my decision between getting it on PS4 or Switch.
I would say yes. The core gameplay theoretically works with the analog stick, but the precise platforming it asks of you in some parts is... not very plausible for most people to pull off with an analog stick, IMO. A d-pad makes the game easier. A good d-pad (I wouldn't know, I'm playing on the Switch) probably makes the game a lot easier!

That said, there are some mechanics that require using the analog stick, particularly later on. Which is probably why people say "play it with the analog stick".

Quick question as I’m lazy. Is there a list of how much post game there is? I have like 5-6 B sides and will probably try to complete those + the core. What are the other hearts aside from blue?

Quick question as I’m lazy. Is there a list of how much post game there is? I have like 5-6 B sides and will probably try to complete those + the core. What are the other hearts aside from blue?
Each level has a B-Side. After beating the Core you unlock C-Sides which are ultra hard but short versions of each level. They're pretty fun.

Gotta get this. But: Is this a D-pad game? That might strongly affect my decision between getting it on PS4 or Switch.
You will get different answers depending on how who you ask. To me it feels like an analog stick game and I finished it on the Switch Pro controller no problem. Never finished the B and C sides though, which are optional. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it on either console.

Analog works well and is comfortable for less demanding stages. I think you could manage all standard stages with a stick. I can’t do B-sides without the d-pad though. The joycon d pad works well, I still don’t get the hate for that thing. Very easy to do slight movements and to separate direction with the distinct buttons.

On the Switch I use handheld mode joycon d-pads for everything but one specific mechanic. I am perfectly accurate with the d-pad and off on dashing diagonals with the analog (I think due to how I hold/tilt the Switch). The d-pad digs into my thumb after a while but otherwise I had no issue with it.

If you’re on PS4, using analog might be fine.

On the Switch I use handheld mode joycon d-pads for everything but one specific mechanic. I am perfectly accurate with the d-pad and off on dashing diagonals with the analog (I think due to how I hold/tilt the Switch). The d-pad digs into my thumb after a while but otherwise I had no issue with it.

If you’re on PS4, using analog might be fine.
Same here, I love the Switch D-buttons, no complaints at all. I don't feel like I've ever dropped any inputs on the D-buttons.

I’ve noticed a couple of things playing Celeste:
1) the joycon analog sticks don’t always seem to register the direction I am pushing... I thought this was in my head at first, or maybe an orientation problem due to playing docked, but I attached them and played handheld, tried to best approximate intermediate directions, and still found Madeline sometimes darting off the wrong way.
2) sometimes my joycon rumble seems to get out of whack. It gets really loud and the actuator goes off at its max force for every action. I don’t know what triggers this, and haven’t noticed it in another game before.

Anyone else notice these things?

And...I got the platinum!

Only died 600 and something times on 7C. Less than I thought I would. Last screen on 8C was pretty frustrating too especially with those last couple jumps with the new mechanic.

Great game overall. Easily my favorite game so far this year.

Just grabbed this and, after early success and joy, got full face slapped by the b-side of Chapter 2. Every few months a game comes along and reminds me what a soft no-talent scrub I have become in my old age. Still loving it though.

Jesus the b sides are tough. Really not enjoying chapter 3 (after liking 1-2 a lot). It’s hard but not in a fun way - I hate memorizing timings.
Hmm, I felt that compared to the regular 3, 3-B was actually pretty nice about timings? 3-A felt very “loose” but 3-B demanding you do things in sequence made me feel like once I got the start down (which was usually less of a wait than 3-A as well), I could keep going without thinking as much.

(Also, I don’t know if this applies here because it’s something I noticed much later for a specific room in like... 8-B, I think, but sometimes the positioning of things when you enter a screen is actually timed well for immediately attempting the screen vs how things are set when you respawn, so if it’s a room where you can easily go out and back in it might be worth tying that?)

After a couple of hours playing super meat boy, I convinced my kids that the game we should buy for Easter holidays was Celeste. I feel a bit guilty for manipulating them this way lol. Hopefully they don't find it extremely difficult with the assist mode.
They are ok with super meat biy, even though I finish most of the levels for them.

Still working my way through my initial completionist Celeste run. Just about to kick off Chapter 6.
One detail which I think is really cool about this game is that Mount Celeste is an actual place on Vancouver Island that you can hike up and scale in person.

Almost makes me want to add conquering the real thing to my bucket list once I knock out the game... although I suspect the game will be trickier than its real-life counterpart.

I think I'm at hour 8 of trying to beat 7-C. I'm starting to really feel beat down by the game at the moment - I'd swear 75% of my attempts at this moment are failed due to misregistered dashes. I can pretty consistently get to the final set of spikes and gems but that's the wall I'm at. I really really wish the controller for the Switch had a reasonable d-pad.

Still working my way through my initial completionist Celeste run. Just about to kick off Chapter 6.
One detail which I think is really cool about this game is that Mount Celeste is an actual place on Vancouver Island that you can hike up and scale in person.

Almost makes me want to add conquering the real thing to my bucket list once I knock out the game... although I suspect the game will be trickier than its real-life counterpart.
Matt's from Canada, so I'm sure this isn't a simple coincidence - nice catch :)

Within the game on maybe chapter 4 or so, there is a flag that I only noticed on my second playthrough of the game. A Canadian flag that waves in the wind. Made me wonder if this was a referenced mountain, thanks for confirming. :>

Finally finished the main story after dabbling in this game forever. I'd like to play more of the optional content but theres too much else to play at the moment, maybe I'll come back to it in a bit.

Really good game though.

54 hours, 42 minutes. 16,212 deaths.

I finally completed all of the C-sides and I'm finally putting this game down for the first time since release. It's been an incredible ride. The A-side stories were beautiful, the B-sides were an entertaining challenge, and the C-sides pushed me further than I've ever let myself be pushed by a game before. This game is a masterpiece.

And no, I'm not going for 200 strawberries. That's for crazy people :lol

I'm on chapter 7 doing the main story and damn this game is good. It gets even better with the B and C sides?

The only nitpick I have is I wish collecting the strawberries did something, even if it were something small like unlock concept art or whatever. Yeah, I know it's still fulfilling to get them but there should be some incentive for it.

I am absolutely in love with this game, one of the best I have played in years. I am near to the end of it so I will save some comments for when I finish but I can do nothing but praise this masterpiece. If you like platformers, this is an instant classic and one of the GOAT. Buy it!

I'm on chapter 7 doing the main story and damn this game is good. It gets even better with the B and C sides?

The only nitpick I have is I wish collecting the strawberries did something, even if it were something small like unlock concept art or whatever. Yeah, I know it's still fulfilling to get them but there should be some incentive for it.
The cutscene after you reach the summit is *slightly* different, but that's about it. The B side tapes and the (minor spoiler?)
blue hearts
are the collectibles you're looking for in terms of unlocking stuff.

In terms of getting better: the game does not tell a story in the B or C sides. It's clear that these are challenges that you must take on for yourself - in the same way Madeline chooses to climb the mountain solely to prove to herself that she can, you must choose to complete the B and C sides solely to prove to yourself that you can. There will be no narrative hook to pull you.

So does the game get "better?" It gets harder, and forces you to use advanced movement techniques that you probably didn't know existed. But a lot of what makes the A side so special is the powerful, personal story it tells. The B and C sides are special because of how you feel when you finally conquer them. I'll leave it to you to decide if that's the game getting "better" or not.

Edit: Oh - and the bonus (golden) strawberries. These are insane. I'm not even trying to go for these. They unlock later in the game. There's one for each version of each level, and to earn it you have to finish the entire level without dying once. Fuuuuuck that lol.

I love platforming challenges like that so I'm sure I'll have a love/hate relationship with B and C. lol

I wonder if someone already did a 100% no death speedrun already.