Celeste |OT| Straw-belay

lol I can't even get past the second screen on level 2 b side...

edit: I'm already a failure and looked it up.. wow was I doing that wrong..

Last edited:
I wasted a good fours on 7C because of my route. I thought it was straightforward. It wasn't - at least for one particular spot. There's no shame in researching how others before you ran the route.

Fuckin’ hell, chapter 6 B-side breaks my balls right at the first goddamn screen.

I don’t even wanna know what the C-side levels must be like...

Last edited:
Yeah, mute. You don't want to skip. Celeste's story is really great and thought provoking - it deals with depression, anxiety, self doubt, and internal struggles that all people have (I watched some youtube videos yesterday of people analyzing the story's meaning - and the brilliant way they conveyed mental illness/issues using game play and graphics). It's one of the highlights of the game, not a throwaway.
Mind posting some of those videos? A bit of nice, pleasant Celeste analysis sounds good right now.

I've been trying them as I go because I want to do them with the mechanics of the level fresh in my mind. Also I just can't do timing stuff so Chapter 3 kicked my ass 3 ways to Sunday.
By the end of the game you'll be so much better at the base platforming mechanics that the B-sides will feel like a natural progression coming afterwards, and they'll be much easier. It also prevents making the base game levels feel too easy if you're doing B-sides in-between imo, and I wouldn't worry about forgetting mechanics.

Im going to double dip and get the Steam version as well.. after someone tells how it rans on an Intel HD 4000, the minimum required according to Steam. Does it look like the PS4 version?

I've been trying them as I go because I want to do them with the mechanics of the level fresh in my mind. Also I just can't do timing stuff so Chapter 3 kicked my ass 3 ways to Sunday.
I would say do the regular levels first before touching the Bs; you’ll have a much easier time with them once you’re better at playing the game as a result of the later levels. I really wouldn’t be that concerned about remembering the mechanics either, since none of them are that complicated. The aspects of those I’d actually be concerned about remembering would be new things you have to do in Bs that are reused in Cs, and even then it’s probably not too hard to refresh yourself. Or at least I hope that stays the case, as someone who’s currently doing only one C side a week or two, if that, to make time for other games. (There are some timing stuff for later mechanics that I lucked into doing well originally and had to learn the specific timing for after failing in the relevant B a lot, but doing them directly after wouldn’t have changed that and it was easy to learn once I made myself think about it.)

Also, as always I’ll say I think 3-B’s timing was actually a lot easier to deal with than 3’s, since the patterns are more “tight”, and you need to move quickly without stopping instead of being able to hesitate halfway through screens while standing on a platform, but it does help that I finished the regular chapters first.

...in any case, this really makes me want to finally try another C side today, hmm.

I played the first contender (in my opinion) to dethrone Celeste for GOTY 2018: A Way Out.

More than halfway through it and I’m loving A Way Out. Excellent game with a lot of moments that made me and my co-op partner say “Holy shit this is so cool” - specifically referring to the game’s excellent scene transitions, camera work, and the dynamic size of the split-screen play area.

But nah Celeste is still the king (or queen).

Celeste has it all: looks, feel, sounds, wits, style and soul. So far for me, nothing came out as good... so far... who knows... but it will be hard to top

Im going to double dip and get the Steam version as well.. after someone tells how it rans on an Intel HD 4000, the minimum required according to Steam. Does it look like the PS4 version?
I bought it and tried it. Works perfectly. Withouy a hitch. Intel HD 4000

Last edited:
First post in this OT, but after completing 7B... holy shit dude. It's so amazing when a mechanic has been available from the start but they wait this long before telling you about it. This just blew my mind. It took me more deaths than I care to admit to wrap my head around this mechanic but that just makes me appreciate it so much more.This game is GOAT tier!

I came in here all confident since I finished 4 B sides and I'm in the core now, but then I see you guys mentioning C sides! How much of this game is there?! I'm over 3,000 deaths as well. This is a great game though. Dying isn't fristrating as you can literally feel the improvement with each death and I haven't really experienced anything like a cheap death in other games.

So, I've started playing this a few weeks ago slowly getting through to completion and I'm finally feeling like I've hit the wall. Questions to those who bested c-sides.

Just how terrible the third screen of chapter 7 c side is. I've finally managed to beat chapter 5 c side which was seriously one of the hardest if not the hardest video game challenge I have managed to complete. Chapter 6 c side was moderately reasonable, as were the first two screens of chapter 7. But the third screen... god, the third screen looks just terrible. I've gotten past the first few jumps but looking through binoculars it looks like it's loooooong and requires very precise jumps all the way through. Especially the part with gems looks impossible. Is it much harder than chapter 5 c side or is it just the initial impression that's so intimidating. Because jesus chapter 5 c side was quite something and I'm starting to feel like I can't do it, but it would feel wrong to give up at this stage.

That said, it's hilarious how ch 5 c side completely flipped my expectations, after ch 1 c side which took me 10 minutes and 100 deaths I thought that huh, barely three screens and that's how hard it is, that's going to be insane. Yet chapter 6 c side, which took me a tad over 15 minutes and 150 deaths, felt rather reasonable. I guess several hundred deaths on a 30-second segment of a game does that to a man.

Edit: Also, I have recently started a replay of Mario Sunshine and it made me realize just how amazing GC-esque octagonal gate would have been for Celeste, would have saved a ton of lives

Golden. Freaking. Strawberries.

It's going to take weeks, if not months, to get good enough at the stages for some of these. The C-Sides work well in this case due to their brevity, and most of the A-Sides aren't too long or annoying (screw Level 3, though), but the B-Sides? Man.

Woof. C-sides done. I'm not doing golden strawberries, no way in hell, so that's it for me and I'm totally satisfied with 'just' clearing all the content in the game. Thanks divisionbyzorro, I was ready to give up there hah.

Chapter 7 c-side is... brutal. It's a fairly long sequence within which you have to make I believe over 50 precise inputs over the course of 30 seconds. But it's certainly doable and it's a great test of your abilities to control Madeline you have attained over the game... not gimmicks, no modifiers, once you start the first jump you have to make it through, I loved it.

Curiously enough, it wasn't even the c side I had most deaths on - chapter 5 wins by literally one death which I did not plan for, 694 deaths v 693 deaths. At the same time, chapter 7 c side took me nearly twice as much time as chapter 5 c side did (going by in-game clock, 1:10 v 2:10). While chapter 7 is harrowing and requires more focus I'd say chapter 5 is... trickier. A lot of tricky diagonal movement (which isn't easy on switch) and requires mastering the boosted wall jump. Funnily enough, core took me slightly more time going by in-game clock than chapter 5 did, even though I registered over three times less deaths.

So yeah, all c-sides done. It's a great game and the most I have been impressed by a 2D platformer since Meat Boy. It's very different from Meat Boy, but scratches a similar itch. It's too close to release to deem it one of the greatest platformers of all time, but it's certainly up there.

Coming back to this game after a few months is tough because I had to quit Chapter 8 as I was not up-to-par with what I had to do to finish it. Decided to start another B-Side, so I did Chapter 3 and that took a long time, but I finished it. I'm going to take my time finishing everything else.

The music has been solid so far in general.
Download the OST and put it on anytime you have to “get shit done”. It’s the ultimate task-music. She nailed that aspect of it. Which I guess, works perfect for a game like Celeste!

It’s seriously one of my fav albums of all time, between that and the B-sides. Incredible work.

Man since I beat Steamworld Heist earlier, I'm thinking of going back to Celeste to at least beat the Chapter 6 B side. I've beaten 5 B-sides and 6 is next.

Honestly Celeste is a game that keeps on giving. Always throwing in new tricks in their B Side levels and its backed up with some awesome remix music. Can't wait to go back. Though the first 2 screens for the Ch 6 B sides were brutal from what I remember.

WOOOO! Just beat chapter 6 B side! Many what an exhilarating challenge to beat that! This game still finds ways to up the ante. They even found a way to make the Badeline boss fight more climatic in the B Side. I died 664 times playing this level, but it was all worth it.

It’s also worth noting that the music for the B side is a pretty sick remix of “Confronting Myself”.

Just dropping by to add my love for this game

Been playing it this week and I’m on the last couple B-Sides - reading this thread has me in fear of the C-Sides now though lol

Trying to get the PS4 plat without turning on Assist mode

Also - this is one of my favorite video game pieces in a long time

https://youtu.be/iKnwVvXkWq0

Finished this over the weekend and wow. What an amazing game.

Loved everything about it, especially the music. Might be one of my all time favorite soundtracks now.

Been playing this game on and off for a month now, perfect handheld fodder for the Switch. Just put Level 7C to bed, actually thought I wouldn't manage it due to the sheer precision the game asks of you in this one, but I managed it! Definitely think its the hardest single platforming level I've cleared in any game I've played (and I do love my hard platformers!). The level design is so on point in the game, obstacles and items well thought out, if I didn't have some minor issues with the controls (dashing the wrong direction sometimes) I'd say its perfect. Now I've just basically got 8C left. Going to leave that one for a couple of days before attempting it!

Been playing this game on and off for a month now, perfect handheld fodder for the Switch. Just put Level 7C to bed, actually thought I wouldn't manage it due to the sheer precision the game asks of you in this one, but I managed it! Definitely think its the hardest single platforming level I've cleared in any game I've played (and I do love my hard platformers!). The level design is so on point in the game, obstacles and items well thought out, if I didn't have some minor issues with the controls (dashing the wrong direction sometimes) I'd say its perfect. Now I've just basically got 8C left. Going to leave that one for a couple of days before attempting it!
Oh man, I'm right behind you. I've been on 7C for an ungodly amount of time. I can feel it though and it's still fun. I also agree about the controls. Using the Switch Pro I often get mixed up between diagonal and straight dashes. Using the Joycons makes it worse since my hands are at a different angle.

Oh man, I'm right behind you. I've been on 7C for an ungodly amount of time. I can feel it though and it's still fun. I also agree about the controls. Using the Switch Pro I often get mixed up between diagonal and straight dashes. Using the Joycons makes it worse since my hands are at a different angle.
I would have taken a break for the night and come back to the level later but I felt myself really getting the timings down well late last night, so just kept on going until I finally managed to nail it. Felt really satisfying!