Celeste |OT| Straw-belay

5C definitely had its moments. I had issues before that level basically not knowing how to walldash jump properly (no idea how I got through 7B!) so I made sure to nail down the timing/feel of wall jumping before trying it. Helped so much for 5C, still took a few tries to do it though, the third screen was no slouch for sure!

Wow. Congrats :) Unbelievable amount of time spent on the game! I can't imagine ever managing all the gold strawberry challenges, I got the first two and then quickly realised that it I'd probably lose my mind if I tried for the B and C ones.

Been slowly making my way through my second playthrough, and man, the last section of the chatper 5 b-side is one of the most satisfying segments of the game. I would have been down for a whole chapter of more "puzzley" segments like this.

Edit: And the falling segments in the ch6 b-side *chef's kiss*

Last edited:

Been slowly making my way through my second playthrough, and man, the last section of the chatper 5 b-side is one of the most satisfying segments of the game. I would have been down for a whole chapter of more "puzzley" segments like this.

Edit: And the falling segments in the ch6 b-side *chef's kiss*
Yeah, I was worried about the crystal sections on the B side as they could have easily made them insanely difficult and unfun, yet they managed to craft some well thought out, but still really challenging sections (just like the rest of the game really). That said, I'm so glad they didn't reuse the mechanic for 5C!

Holy shit. I thought I was up there with 190, but this...Chapter 7 B-Side alone must have been a nightmare. And only 14k deaths! Wow.
The death/time count is a little bit under what it should be due to turning off the game midstage before it saved sometimes; notably there were a couple of dashless 1-A attempts that I quit midway. Overall though it's not that much higher than displayed.

And yeah, 7-B was.... definitely a nightmare that took a lot of practice, but at the same time I found it a lot of fun to do. Maybe I'm just crazy. :P

I recorded all of the deathless golden strawberries, if anyone's interested in watching it:

Picked this up for the first time in a while, trying to get all the strawberries in the mirror temple, missing the last one on "Search", any ideas?

Also hard to pick up after being away for so long.

Finally reached the end, with all A, B, and C-Sides complete! Easily one of my favorite platformers of all time.

I absolutely love how it's constantly teaching you new ways to express yourself within its possibility space, going so far as to save a brand new mechanic for the literally the very last level in the game.

Smiled at the binoculars on the last screen of the chapter 2 c-side. One of the most wildly satisfying feelings in gaming is looking at something that would have seemed impossible at first and going "...yeah, this is doable."

I only finally finished the main story of the game yesterday, after a long hiatus. Glad I went back to it. Yes, it's a great, tough-as-nails platformer, but the emotional narrative and the way it's elegantly woven into the gameplay really set the game apart.

Between this and Yoku's Island Express, I've had an awfully good time with indies this week. Oxenfree and Night in the Woods are up next!

Last edited:
Between this and Yoku's Island Express, I've had an awfully good time with indies this week. Oxenfree and Night in the Woods are up next!
Hah, legit my next indies to tackle as well. On the fence a bit about Oxenfree, grabbed it when it was $5.00 though. I’ll do Night in the Woods first and see if that genre starts fatiguing by then. I’ve got Owlboy on deck if that’s the case. Beat Celeste roughly when it came out but it still sticks with me, particularly the soundtrack. Absolutely fantastic game, one of my all time favs.

Hah, legit my next indies to tackle as well. On the fence a bit about Oxenfree, grabbed it when it was $5.00 though. I’ll do Night in the Woods first and see if that genre starts fatiguing by then. I’ve got Owlboy on deck if that’s the case. Beat Celeste roughly when it came out but it still sticks with me, particularly the soundtrack. Absolutely fantastic game, one of my all time favs.
I'd do Oxenfree first - NITW is great, but its more taxing on your patience. Oxenfree has a pretty compelling story/vibe to it all.

I'd do Oxenfree first - NITW is great, but its more taxing on your patience. Oxenfree has a pretty compelling story/vibe to it all.
Ooooo....May have sueded me. About how long is Oxenfree? Good to know that NITW may be a patience tester...as I’ve been slowly phasing games that test my patience out of my life as time for gaming becomes less opportunistic due to scheduling constraints.

On a related note to not derail the thread. Keep an eye out for the future Celeste - Piano Collection. I don’t know when it’s supposed to drop, but Trevor Gomes is supposedly working on it. I’ll gladly take more Celeste music anytime. Look up his work, he does really nice interpretations of gaming OST’s.

Ooooo....May have sueded me. About how long is Oxenfree? Good to know that NITW may be a patience tester...as I’ve been slowly phasing games that test my patience out of my life as time for gaming becomes less opportunistic due to scheduling constraints.

On a related note to not derail the thread. Keep an eye out for the future Celeste - Piano Collection. I don’t know when it’s supposed to drop, but Trevor Gomes is supposedly working on it. I’ll gladly take more Celeste music anytime. Look up his work, he does really nice interpretations of gaming OST’s.
Oxenfree is a bit shorter than NITW; maybe... 5-8 hours? Can’t check my Steam hours right now.

It’s good, but I loved NITW so in comparison I’d obviously say NITW’s the better game. I don’t think it ever “tested my patience” at all, but it can be a little repetitive, I guess. I’d say that’s intentional - it’s because you can wander around the town each day and talk to everyone - but I’m also someone with both a very high tolerance for some tedium and a love for that kind of continually changing place in games (especially as I found all the characters enjoyable to talk to), so I didn’t mind much! If anything I’d just say to not try to marathon it in a few sittings.

And oh damn, that sounds excellent so I’ll keep an eye out. I think I might have heard about it before, actually, but I’d forgotten if so, so thanks for the heads up regardless!

I don’t think it ever “tested my patience” at all, but it can be a little repetitive, I guess. I’d say that’s intentional - it’s because you can wander around the town each day and talk to everyone - but I’m also someone with both a very high tolerance for some tedium and a love for that kind of continually changing place in games!
Yeah, this is exactly what I was referring to.

Congrats!! What a huge achievement!

I thought I'd make it all the way, and I hadn't peeked forward. When I saw the Golden Strawberry and the C-Sides, I was crushed. Kudos to you!
The C-sides are doable with perseverance, and they're all actual playable content, so I highly recommend pushing through. The Golden Strawberries I haven't even tried for - it's just the same levels with a ridiculous completion requirement so I didn't feel compelled to even try.

I’m not touching the Goldens but the C sides aren’t that bad, though I’ve only done 1 and 2 so far.

It felt amazing to look at 2-C, be intimidated by how hard it was going to be, actually make consistent though gradual progress, and then realize upon finishing that it had only taken me 20 minutes.

Yeah, all the C-Sides outside of 7-C are super tough, but short enough that you can memorize them and knock 'em out in less than an hour. 7-C will require most folks to put in some time, and is probably the single hardest platforming challenge I've completed in any game, but still feels fair and is extremely satisfying once you get it.

Counterpoint: Play Night in the Woods first. Oxenfree has a great vibe but continually sidelines its neat characters for its dull mystery plot, whereas NITW is mostly about its characters but has a mystery plot as a fun bonus. If talking to all the townsfolk every day starts trying your patience, you can just skip all that and go hang out with the main characters to advance the plot.

The C-sides are doable with perseverance, and they're all actual playable content, so I highly recommend pushing through. The Golden Strawberries I haven't even tried for - it's just the same levels with a ridiculous completion requirement so I didn't feel compelled to even try.
That’s a good point. I should push through the C-Sides. The Golden Strawberries look impossible...

Just wanted to post here and say I just collected all the main strawberries (175/175)! Getting some of those in chapter 8 got pretty intense, but it felt exlierating to finally collecting them! All I need to do is beat chapter 8’s B side and then I can unlock the C sides!

Been playing this finally myself too....on the Summit level now. I know its not supposed to, lol but when i see how many times i died at the level completion screen it pisses me off. Really love this game though, very nice surprise and alot of fun.

I just finished the game. I loved the "video game" part (and I'm also quite fond of the music), and kinda hated everything else. I thought the game looked bad, both in game and the portraits. I hated the voices, and thought the story had all the subtlety of a brick to the head. The video game part though, friggin excellent.

Animalese voices are literally the only correct way to voice characters in an indie game.

Its a distinctly different effect then that cringey Rare voice.

Some day I have to get back to Celeste and do the C sides. The B sides were a big satisfying struggle for me but too many other games came out after.

Got the summit up next, really loving this. That last boss fight was incredible. I know it got a bit of stick for the simplistic commentary on mental health, but so far it has been cute and hasn't come close to offensive.

Trying out some b-sides before I move on and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who found 3B to be a spike looking at the scorecards lol. Holy shit that outstayed it's welcome. Difficulty in general is spot on though.

tho I don't think my heart can take C sides after that.

I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and turn on assist mode at this room:
https://youtu.be/9dkzUG33Jas?t=3m55s

Like, wtf. Slingshotting yourself off those blocks is stupid enough without having to then pixel perfect dash to avoid hitting the switch and then landing high enough on the next platform to jump to the top without touching the grab button (if you do it'll slingshot you).

Probably died 100+ times already here.

Edit: Reading the comments on that vid someone else was having the same problem and someone pointed out the 'right way' to do it, and it was a lot easier haha.

Last edited:
8B might be my favorite level TBH. I love the aesthetics of chapter 8 and the B side hits the sweet spot of difficulty. It’s super hard but not brutal like the C sides.

Actually 6A is probably my favorite level, but that’s less about difficulty and more about the way the story progresses and the Badeline boss fight.

Edit: Reading the comments on that vid someone else was having the same problem and someone pointed out the 'right way' to do it, and it was a lot easier haha.
Believe me, I know that feeling. I had some issues with a couple of areas and 90% of it was because of how I was trying to tackle the level. For me it was the vertical dash wall jump that really kicked my ass initially, but once I nailed the move down perfectly I could tackle any of the C Side levels without too many problems.

I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and turn on assist mode at this room:
https://youtu.be/9dkzUG33Jas?t=3m55s

Like, wtf. Slingshotting yourself off those blocks is stupid enough without having to then pixel perfect dash to avoid hitting the switch and then landing high enough on the next platform to jump to the top without touching the grab button (if you do it'll slingshot you).

Probably died 100+ times already here.

...if it helps, I definitely died hundreds and hundreds of times at the room exactly 6 minutes in.

I was able to do it decently the first time as I got into the room but died.

Then I could never figure out how to do it correctly again, no matter what I did. I found some other way that worked more often than not, and eventually did it, even getting the berry that time so I never had to do the room again, but... it was hellish. Probably should have stepped away for a bit so I’d have another “first try” and luck into it, but I really wanted to do it, hah.

Meanwhile... I still haven’t returned to the last screen of 3-C despite finally sitting down to play the level a few weeks ago. I’m hoping to do that today, but I might not have the time for it.

...if it helps, I definitely died hundreds and hundreds of times at the room exactly 6 minutes in.

I was able to do it decently the first time as I got into the room but died.

Then I could never figure out how to do it correctly again, no matter what I did. I found some other way that worked more often than not, and eventually did it, even getting the berry that time so I never had to do the room again, but... it was hellish. Probably should have stepped away for a bit so I’d have another “first try” and luck into it, but I really wanted to do it, hah.

Meanwhile... I still haven’t returned to the last screen of 3-C despite finally sitting down to play the level a few weeks ago. I’m hoping to do that today, but I might not have the time for it.
After beating the level yesterday I'm at that exact room right now trying to get the berry...
I'm convinced that those lava blocks are just poorly designed and it's really negatively impacting my opinion of the game.

Ah, good to know they’ll kill me again in -C...

I had no big issues with 8-B, at least. It really was that one screen in 8-A, mostly; I didn’t have much issue with the rest of that level.

God fucking damn 6-B was an intense level. Over 700 deaths.

Feels good to have smashed out 6 B-Sides in a day though. Almost there!
7B will certainly be a challenge. Its the one that caused me my biggest number of deaths mainly down to a new mechanic introduced late into the level. Once you get the technique down the rest of the game should feel somewhat easier!

7B will certainly be a challenge. Its the one that caused me my biggest number of deaths mainly down to a new mechanic introduced late into the level. Once you get the technique down the rest of the game should feel somewhat easier!
Meh it was easy, only took 715 deaths compared to the much harder 6B taking 718.

;)

I did go back and finish 3-C yesterday. I remembered more than I expected and quickly figured out I’d been doing wrong, and then gradually realized I was really overthinking one bit and it wasn’t as hard as I thought. Felt good to work through that.

Finished 4-C in ~20 minutes after, which I didn’t expect. I’ll try 5 sometime soon.