Community Spotlight: Puyo Puyo Community |OT| “Puyo Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”

Bayoen~! Welcome to the Puyo Puyo Community!

24 Characters to Choose From!

Puyo Puyo is a puzzle series created by Compile in 1991, who sold the rights to Sega in 2000, and has been developed by Sonic Team for most releases since 2001. The most recent English Puyo Puyo game is Puyo Puyo Tetris, which was released worldwide in 2017, marking it as the first worldwide Puyo Puyo game since 2004's Puyo Pop Fever. The series has sold 22 million copies, putting it between the Kingdom Hearts and Gears of War franchises.

I won’t get into Tetris – someone can start their own Tetris community if they wish – but the goal of Puyo Puyo is to block your opponent’s third space from the left in the top row by forming chains, which drop garbage pieces on their 6x12 playfield. You can remove Garbage Puyo by forming chains horizontally or vertically adjacent to the Garbage Puyo, thus creating more Garbage Puyo for the other player. The higher the chain, the more points and Garbage Puyo you will generate. You generally play with four or five different colours of Puyo (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, and Violet). For more detailed information, please browse the Puyo Nexus wiki linked below.

PuyoNexus - PuyoNexus is your one-stop Puyo shop, essentially. It has its own community, a comprehensive wiki, and a chain simulator. You can visit it here: https://puyonexus.com/

Puyo Puyo VS 2 - Don’t have Puyo Puyo Tetris? You can still get your Puyo fix with Puyo Puyo Vs 2, a free clone that lets people outside of Japan play online. You can download it here: http://puyovs.net/download.php

Out of curiosity what do you consider the best and why? I'm not super knowledgeable about the series or intricacies of it, so genuinely curious.
In my opinion, either Super Puyo Puyo 2/Tsu Remix (Super Famicom) or Puyo Puyo Sun. Both are phenomenal games, they're dirt cheap online, and region free (even though you have to break your SNES tabs). I really do hope that Compile is able to buy Puyo Puyo back from Sega, because Sega's releases have very limited customization compared to the series' roots. You could change pretty much every rule in the book, with pages and pages of options.

Awesome to see Puyo Puyo get some representation on here!

Puyo Puyo Tetris is my GOTY so far and probably the best puzzle game I've ever played. Swap mode is so much fun even if it is a little unbalanced. I just wish there was an arcade mode in the style of Puyo Puyo 2.

Here are some helpful beginner resrouces that help me understand better Puyo Puyo. Here's a written guide on Puyo Nexus. Keep in mind Puyo is best learned by playing regularly.

Man I love PPT so much. It's the only game my wife has ever asked me to play multiple times and I have to force her to go to bed at the end of a session. Also thanks for the tutorials on that! I've been trying to get her to Puyo Puyo more (right now she only does tetris since it's easier to get an initial handle on), those should definitely help some!

Kokonoe

Banned
Yay! Puyo! I'm a total scrub at this series so I'll definitely check the videos posted above when I get the time.

PS: Fusion mode is the worst thing.

Awesome to see Puyo Puyo get some representation on here!

Puyo Puyo Tetris is my GOTY so far and probably the best puzzle game I've ever played. Swap mode is so much fun even if it is a little unbalanced. I just wish there was an arcade mode in the style of Puyo Puyo 2.

Here are some helpful beginner resrouces that help me understand better Puyo Puyo. Here's a written guide on Puyo Nexus. Keep in mind Puyo is best learned by playing regularly.

-snip-
Bolded, underlined, italicized and increased font for the people in the back. ;) I absolutely intend to help give Puyo lots of representation around here. Did someone say resetera Puyo tournies?
But yeah, I gotta agree, it's definitely my puzzle game of the year, just behind Soldam, which is like a cross between Tetris and Othello/Reversi, and I also recommend that.

I just found out about a game on Steam called Raining Blobs (thank you Powerpuff!), and it's a really cool-looking love letter to Puyo Puyo. It's only $2 today (80% off!) I just picked it up, and I'll give it a try after work and share my thoughts. http://store.steampowered.com/app/414370/Raining_Blobs/

Also... Happy Puyo-ween everyone!

Hello! I'm S2, the guy who helped make the tutorials on the Puyo Nexus wiki and the videos on SEGA's YouTube channel. Thanks for making the thread. I hope more people start becoming fans of the Puyo series; there's so much sleeping potential. For example...

• Puyo Puyo's been part of Red Bull's "5G" tournament series since 2012.

• Puyo Puyo was recently exhibited to the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly as part of an eSports showcase.

If you wanna up your Puyo game you should join the English Puyo Discord: http://bit.ly/puyodiscord
We host monthly ranking and casual tournaments and weekly tourneys for Puyo Puyo Tetris (usually the Switch version).

I just found out about a game on Steam called Raining Blobs (thank you Powerpuff!), and it's a really cool-looking love letter to Puyo Puyo. It's only $2 today (80% off!) I just picked it up, and I'll give it a try after work and share my thoughts. http://store.steampowered.com/app/414370/Raining_Blobs/
Okay so I just played a bit of this. I highly, highly recommend that you get this while it's on sale. It's basically puyo puyo if puyos had two classes: star and not-star, and your chains can be as long as they can be until you connect at least two star pieces. It's the best I can come up with to describe it so far, my only complaint is that it rotates on the opposite piece, which just takes a bit to get used to. The graphics look great. Definitely pick this up, folks, don't miss out on it.

In my opinion, either Super Puyo Puyo 2/Tsu Remix (Super Famicom) or Puyo Puyo Sun. Both are phenomenal games, they're dirt cheap online, and region free (even though you have to break your SNES tabs). I really do hope that Compile is able to buy Puyo Puyo back from Sega, because Sega's releases have very limited customization compared to the series' roots. You could change pretty much every rule in the book, with pages and pages of options.
Ahh ccool! So mostly comes down to options and rulesets then, interesting. Wasn't sure if it was more like tetris where some releases have different mechanics like t-spins or not etc.

Ahh ccool! So mostly comes down to options and rulesets then, interesting. Wasn't sure if it was more like tetris where some releases have different mechanics like t-spins or not etc.
Well now that you mention it, SUN had the unique mechanic of Sun Puyo.

Also, I got elite league and celebrity rank last night! How far is everyone on the PPT ladder?

CaptainNuevo said:
Out of curiosity what do you consider the best and why? I'm not super knowledgeable about the series or intricacies of it, so genuinely curious.
Actually, SEGA always includes most of the per-mode customization options that COMPILE included. Also, the anniversary titles bring back mechanics from old Puyo games; Puyo Puyo 20th anniversary (2011) brought back SUN mode, and imo SEGA made it better than the original implementation (the damage you were doing was too huge in the original game).

If you want the best game to introduce yourself to the series, I'd suggest Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary. It has lots of BGMs that are throwbacks to the series's history, an extensive gameplay tutorial, and there's fan translations of the story mode on Puyo Nexus and YouTube.

Also, I got elite league and celebrity rank last night! How far is everyone on the PPT ladder?
I gave up on PPT ladder because Puyo will never win against the brokenness of Tetris lol. There are too many Tetris players, and most of the Puyo players that are actually on there aren't that good either.

In fact, the relevant members of the Japanese competitive Puyo community don't even play Puyo Puyo Tetris. They play on Puyo Puyo Chronicle for the 3DS instead (it released last December). I usually stream ranked matches from that instead.

In fact, the relevant members of the Japanese competitive Puyo community don't even play Puyo Puyo Tetris. They play on Puyo Puyo Chronicle for the 3DS instead (it released last December). I usually stream ranked matches from that instead.
Oh damn, that explains a lot. I might pick up a Japanese 3DS and Chronicle, since the hardware is so cheap now. I'd love to get in on that action.

Oh, didn't notice this thread! Well, time to get posting, then.

I was introduced to the Puyo Puyo games due to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, followed by Kirby's Avalanche, only finding out that the original game for both of those is indeed Puyo Puyo. This goes a long way into explaining why those two games are generally stranger than its source material. It explains why there's Carbuncle. Anyway, I decided to try the second game of the series, which I thought was neat because it has offsetting and a unique tier system in its single-player (I imagine this is not as well known as the offsetting mechanic). In any case, this game fits into my interest in puzzle games like Tetris, Dr. Mario, Panel de Pon and Wario's Woods, so it's a natural fit to my interests.

I think the first game that got me to see the potential of the Puyo Puyo games is Fever, as that game opened my mind up to how it's possible to make long chains. I never gave it much thought because the CPUs never made long chains. Moreover, I am in favour of a new art style of the Puyo Puyo games that is thankfully refined in the second Fever game, which is still amazing to me in retrospect because it develops every character that you never quite see in later games. Sure they are in Japanese so not many people would understand them, but it basically makes each character more fleshed out. As an example, Oshare Bone is implied to be a homosexual in this game. Ocean Prince and Klug are in particular expanded in such a way that they were much more realised characters, especially the former. Most new characters even have a nice background, especially Sig (he's even prominent on the box art).

While I won't say I am the best, I like to think that I am decent at Puyo Puyo because I feel I can chain well. Problem is, since I mainly play against CPUs, I felt a bit apprehensive in making long chains for fear of them attacking while I am helpless. That still didn't stop me from wishing that Fever needs to be in every game since its introduction, because I find it to be a fun mode that makes every character unique beyond their attacks, namely the unique dropsets that each character has and the power differentiation (Sig, for example, is strong in Fever but not as powerful in Normal). If there's a Fever match played by professional players, you can be sure I will take interest in it since regular Tsu matches are a dime a dozen.

I do not know what they are saying here, but I like this match because one of the players used Ocean Prince to great effect (a character who has the strongest Fever power, though his drop set can be a bit awkward for chaining):

Thank you for reading.

I love Puyo Puyo Tetris so much, I pretty much bought a Switch for it. I usually play as Rulue in Swap mode.

Okay so I just played a bit of this. I highly, highly recommend that you get this while it's on sale. It's basically puyo puyo if puyos had two classes: star and not-star, and your chains can be as long as they can be until you connect at least two star pieces. It's the best I can come up with to describe it so far, my only complaint is that it rotates on the opposite piece, which just takes a bit to get used to. The graphics look great. Definitely pick this up, folks, don't miss out on it.
Aww I missed the sale, wish I could have picked this up. Maybe next time. I've added it to my wishlist for now.

Reminds me of the 108 chain in the Puyo Puyo~n video, which by the way, is the inspiration for a board this big:

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't played ~n yet. ^-^ I need to order the games I'm missing soon, they're cheap enough anyways.

So I bought Puyo Puyo Tetris a week ago and it's great! Me and my brother having a blast playing vs mode. The sp stuff is also really nice though. Never even heard of Puyo before - just a random urge to play some puzzle game.

Now that Sega's in charge of the Puyo Puyo property for longer than Compile themselves, assuming that 2004 is the first time they are in charge since it's when their first original effort was released, I should mention my assessment on Sega's, or rather, Sonic Team's management of this property.

The first thing I should mention is the decision to change the art style of this game. After all, back in Puyo Puyo Fever, they decided to give the game a stylish new look that was a departure from the more traditional Japanese style that Compile used (which I believe is still how Compile Heart style their game). Although the style looked foreign to me, back then seeing the Puyo Puyo playfield never made me question the series becoming alien, because in a way it's still Puyo Puyo, except they have non-traditional pieces, like the gigantic Puyo. The style was rather rough, but it was a good start. Thankfully they refined it in the sequel to Puyo Puyo Fever, making it nicer too look at, and then refined it further during Puyo 20th Anniversary. I think a new look is what the series needed to stand out from what Compile doing, because Compile's art style for the series didn't make it stand out well.

The second thing I would look at is the music. It's known that Sonic's got amazing music (most of the time anyway), so it's nice to see this being applied to Puyo Puyo also. The traditional tunes are still there, but they also added a lot of amazing tunes for the game that is worthy (in my opinion, anyway) of the Puyo Puyo music collection. Ringo's Puyo Puyo song is one of the best tunes in recent times, so it's nice to have this one being in every game since her introduction. Moreover, the 20th Anniversary have an overall better selection of tunes for each character, and amazingly, most of them have vocal versions so I imagine they have more thought on the tracks. Every Puyo Puyo game also have something good to listen to, even if they wouldn't be famous ones that would be used in later games, such as the first Fever theme.

Now, for how Sonic Team handles their own gameplay on Puyo Puyo. Their first take on Puyo Puyo, the Fever mode, is frankly amazing because in my opinion, has the Fever mode that can really turn the tables. It also manages to differentiate each character by giving them different chain powers and dropsets. It might not be for everybody, but I enjoy Fever's unconventional rules compared to the standard Tsu rules, as much as I enjoy Tsu itself. That is why I relish professional Fever matches: not only are they rarer, they tend to be more exciting compared to the more common Tsu matches. And then, there are the numerous and experimental 15th and 20th anniversary extra modes. They can be hit-or-miss, but I like most of them, including Jumbo Puyo, Excavation, Active and Ice Blocks. I can at least admire their less playable efforts, like Quartet and the water one. It really felt like there were more ways to play Puyo Puyo, so the experimentation is very much welcomed. The ability to customise the gameplay is also very welcomed, especially choosing the music to play the match on (I usually pick Random). It's also amazing that the Puyo Puyo gameplay can be transmuted into a Puzzle & Dragons-style puzzle with the Puyo Puyo twist to make Puyo Puyo Quest, utilising the large catalogue of characters in the series, so (almost) no character is left behind while introducing lots of great characters. I would acknowledge that Sonic Team made some oversights with their Puyo Puyo games, such as the save limit in the DS version of 15th Anniversary and making one of their character's AIs (Draco, if you are wondering) unable to softdrop their pieces even in Core AI mode in Puyo Puyo 7. The biggest miss, in my opinion, is their Transformation Mode, which is good for the style, but they tend to drag on if both players are good. It's also not really balanced between Mega and Mini modes, more so if you choose to randomise between the two.

Compared to Compile, who I certainly appreciate their strong foundation to the franchise, namely Original Puyo Puyo (OPP) is the start of something beautiful, while Tsu is the change that is needed to make the series competitive-worthy. Their Nazo Puyo game is quite good because it blends the RPG origins of the series and their Puyo Puyo gameplay for a good puzzler. Beyond this though, I feel that Compile might not know how to evolve the Puyo Puyo games further, because while the presentation has evolved, the gameplay isn't really quite up there. What I mean is, SUN is good for the story, but the Sun Puyos didn't instill the same fun as the originals (the 20th anniversary version is pretty good, though!). Never played ~n, but I heard it's slow and the special attacks are unbalanced. I can see that, especially due to Arle's ability being extremely good, being able to freeze nuisance Puyo from falling, and an expert player can easily make a counterattack in the same way expert players can easily use Fever to build large chains for a larger counterattack.

Finally, the characters. I love how fleshed out the Fever characters were, if Puyo Puyo Fever 2 and 15th Anniversary are of any indication. Not all characters were fleshed out, namely Tarutaru, but they managed to make the Fever cast interesting for the most part. Really liked how Ocean Prince is used, and Oshare Bones is just an entertaining character. Puyo Puyo 7 introduced few (only 4!) characters, but they are all interesting in their own way. The unfortunate thing is, as the games progressed, they utilised the secondary school aged characters most, as opposed to mixing it with a generally quirky cast that we have. Worst of all, their decision to limit the playable characters to 24 characters kind of stifles any old and new characters from returning! This is probably something that Compile has over Sonic Team, since their cast of characters seem to stay varied in every game they made. I guess being their best property, Compile is more OK with putting their best characters, whereas Puyo Puyo not being Sonic Team's best property might have affected how they viewed the series, so they didn't put in the varied cast (with that said, I am thankful that Ocean Prince is one of the guys they like to include). Well, at least there's Puyo Puyo Quest giving most characters their time in the light, even though I never played that game.

I think that one of the advantages of Sega having Puyo Puyo is their ability to make the series available worldwide. While they first effort Puyo Puyo Fever failed to make an impression, the fact that it exists at all means that non-Japanese players can enjoy their efforts. Their most recent localisation Puyo Puyo Tetris is a huge blessing since it's something Sega can realistically do with their publishing power, as opposed to Compile. English voices are something I appreciated with the series, because I just like English interpretations of the characters.

Overall, I like how Sega handled the Puyo Puyo property, even if they weren't perfect nor do they perform certain things better than Compile did back then. It would be interesting to see how Compile Heart would handle the series if they somehow got it back, but that's a topic for another time.

Thank you for reading.

Hey all! This was the first game I nabbed for my Switch; been a fan of Puyo Puyo since Kirby's Avalanche on the SNES, although I haven't played many other games because I didn't know until the past couple years it was such a well established game series.

Wanted to thank shoryukens for posting those videos and S2PID for their work on the SEGA vids and the nexus! I came in here to ask for advice on getting better and everything I need and more is already posted here.

Really enjoying the game so far; I'm almost done with the adventure mode and have 3-starred the first couple chapters. I love being able to play a quick game of Tetris on a break at work or to wind down before bed. My family got a kick out of it on Thanksgiving too, although they'd prefer some multiplayer modes that focused more on score and didn't involve dropping garbage pieces on the other player's side when you get a combo. Is that an option anywhere? Haven't seen it and it seems Puyo Puyo is just designed that way, which is fine but can make it hard to take one's time and focus on improving when you have to worry about an opponent filling your screen up with garbage puyos.

PS: Fusion mode is the worst thing.
I have nightmares about Fusion mode.

My family got a kick out of it on Thanksgiving too, although they'd prefer some multiplayer modes that focused more on score and didn't involve dropping garbage pieces on the other player's side when you get a combo. Is that an option anywhere? Haven't seen it and it seems Puyo Puyo is just designed that way, which is fine but can make it hard to take one's time and focus on improving when you have to worry about an opponent filling your screen up with garbage puyos.
The closest mode that plays like a Score Attack competition is Big Bang.

Otherwise, you could try setting the Chain Requirement to 20 in Puyo (a 20 chain is physically impossible on a 6x13 board). Other than that, there isn't a score attack mode where you just play normal Tetris or normal Puyo....

The closest mode that plays like a Score Attack competition is Big Bang.

Otherwise, you could try setting the Chain Requirement to 20 in Puyo (a 20 chain is physically impossible on a 6x13 board). Other than that, there isn't a score attack mode where you just play normal Tetris or normal Puyo....
Hey thanks! Sounds like incentive to expand my Puyo Puyo game collection ;)

It seems like there's a Puyo Puyo Anniversary TV Show 2018 this coming Sunday (4th February).

I wonder what kind of game it will be like. On one hand, I am hoping it will be an ambitions title because it's a significant (but not major) Sega property, but at the same time I feel it's not going to be a grand title due to not being an anniversary title divisible by 5. At the most I am expecting an artstyle change based on the image, given that Chronicle adapted the Sega Hatsune Miku look into it, but I hope that they still use the art style that they refined since Puyo Pop Fever, since it makes Puyo Puyo stand out very well compared to its anime puzzler contemporaries.

Thank you for reading.

With the Puyo Puyo Tetris release on PC, it could be good to revive the thread.

I am still discovering the game but I can already say it is so much fun and plays so good. I am more a Puyo Puyo player but the Tetris side is also highly enjoyable. Tetris is a joy to play in this game : the controls are smooth and responsive and it plays better than any other of its past incarnations.

Moreover Tetris folks, you can even do some five lines Tetris! (Under some very specific conditions: you need to be "cursed" in Party mode.)

With the Puyo Puyo Tetris release on PC, it could be good to revive the thread.

I am still discovering the game but I can already say it is so much fun and plays so good. I am more a Puyo Puyo player but the Tetris side is also highly enjoyable. Tetris is a joy to play in this game : the controls are smooth and responsive and it plays better than any other of its past incarnations.

Moreover Tetris folks, you can even do some five lines Tetris! (Under some very specific conditions: you need to be "cursed" in Party mode.)
The other specific condition is in Fusion mode, where you have to softdrop a Tetris piece above a bunch of Puyos so that they slowly get squashed, and then drop a different Tetris piece above the dropping piece. I believe you can create up to 8 simultaneous line clears (2 I-pieces) and it will still be considered a Tetris Plus.

Still, I think Suketoudara has the best "Tetris Plus" line.

Thank you for reading.

Here's a question and hopefully some responses: what is your opinion on SEGA's handling of the Puyo Puyo series, and is it better or worse than Compile's direction and handling of the series? Basically SEGA got Puyo Puyo from Compile because they needed the funds but they weren't able to recoup enough, so it winded up belonging to SEGA.

And a bonus question: Regardless of circumstances, what do you think would happen to the Puyo Puyo series if Compile Heart managed to reclaim it back from SEGA?

Thank you for reading.

what is your opinion on SEGA's handling of the Puyo Puyo series, and is it better or worse than Compile's direction and handling of the series?
I for one have never been a fan of the character design since the transition. And SEGA unfortunately managed to make things even worse (far, far worse) with Chronicle - aka Funko Puyo.

I also feel SEGA has been really tone deaf about the lack of VS match counter up until Chronicle. This game is basically one of the oldest eSports, and in competition, people usually play first to 50 or firsts to 100. Why did it take SEGA so long to add the counter back in?

They did a decent good job with the online, I'll give them that.
However, whenever I get the chance to play locally, my go-to Puyo remains MD PP2, closely followed by 3DS PP2 for the convenience.

And a bonus question: Regardless of circumstances, what do you think would happen to the Puyo Puyo series if Compile Heart managed to reclaim it back from SEGA?
They would take the license and turn it into a pedo-dating sim?

Seriously, though, Compile themselves actually did some terrible things gameplay-wise with the crappy gimmicks in 3 and 4. And 1 is way too unpolished to be fun.
So I'm actually not sure. I would be really glad to see the old characters back. Thinking about it, the only thing I would actually want now is a proper 2 HD remake with online play.

I for one have never been a fan of the character design since the transition. And SEGA unfortunately managed to make things even worse (far, far worse) with Chronicle - aka Funko Puyo.

I also feel SEGA has been really tone deaf about the lack of VS match counter up until Chronicle. This game is basically one of the oldest eSports, and in competition, people usually play first to 50 or firsts to 100. Why did it take SEGA so long to add the counter back in?

They did a decent good job with the online, I'll give them that.
However, whenever I get the chance to play locally, my go-to Puyo remains MD PP2, closely followed by 3DS PP2 for the convenience.

They would take the license and turn it into a pedo-dating sim?

Seriously, though, Compile themselves actually did some terrible things gameplay-wise with the crappy gimmicks in 3 and 4. And 1 is way too unpolished to be fun.
So I'm actually not sure. I would be really glad to see the old characters back. Thinking about it, the only thing I would actually want now is a proper 2 HD remake with online play.
Thank you for the response! It's interesting to hear from someone who prefers Compile over SEGA mainly because those who prefer Compile's approach is a lot rarer. Although I prefer SEGA's art style mainly for attempting to differentiate itself from similar games, I can see why some people prefer the conventional look. The main thing I didn't like is how SEGA put more focus on the human characters ever since Puyo Puyo 7, because the non-human cast is the best part and it's a shame they cut back on their appearance.

I think the VS match counter is included in the PC version of Puyo Puyo Fever, though I am not sure if it's a modified version specifically to add that feature. Still, it's interesting to hear that it's a widely used feature in competitive battling.

My theory on what Compile Heart will do when they got the license back is similar to what you said: they will put the focus on their original cast, but I can see them taking a few SEGA creations that are reasonably popular like Amitie and Sig, and put them into a conventional anime art style similar to the Neptunia games. The games might also suffer from the gameplay front since I don't see Compile Heart doing the tiny experiments you see in the Anniversary games, so I guess that, like you said, they will re-release Puyo Puyo 2 that is more suitable in a more technologically advanced environment.

Though I wonder if Compile Heart will localise the games since I feel one of SEGA's strengths is being big enough (and thus able to take the risk) to localise the games, as we've seen with Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Thank you for reading.

Played some PPT online for the first time in at least 6 months last night and man this game is just great. Do people here still play regularly?

I play Puyo Puyo Chronicle instead. It's a chore grinding rank against Tetris players who are so fast they're impossible to beat lol... quite a lot of Puyo players have quit for this reason.

If you ever want to play I'm available sometimes ~8PM-10PM EDT

I don't have my 3DS right now and I'm actually enjoying both puyo and tetris. I don't intend to ever be super high ranked so if I get destroyed I don't mind. I played some ranked last night and played against reasonable opponents which was nice.

I feel the itch to play Puyo again. I remember playing PAYA PAYA on Android some time ago and boy, I don't think I've ever been so outclassed and destroyed in such a brutal way before in a game, and I play fighting games which are infamous for that.

How do you people manage to make forms consistently? I understand the GTR concept but I can't seem to execute it in gameplay at all. It's like my brain becomes a pile of garbage. Or I build the base form and don't know what do to/how to extend from there.

Is there a stream for the PPT EVO bracket(s)?
https://twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk

I'm not sure exactly when the stream is going to be live but updates will be in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/Kiyobi/status/1023798920902656000

How do you people manage to make forms consistently? I understand the GTR concept but I can't seem to execute it in gameplay at all. It's like my brain becomes a pile of garbage. Or I build the base form and don't know what do to/how to extend from there.
You have to experiment a bunch to get an intuitive understanding of the build orders. Try this guide: https://puyonexus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1216

I am hoping that a new Puyo Puyo game will be announced this year because it's been a while since a new Puyo Puyo was announced. Given the pattern of when Puyo Puyo games were released:
2006: Anniversary game
2009: Puyo Puyo 7
2011: Anniversary game
2014: Puyo Puyo Tetris
2016: Chronicle (oddly Wikipedia didn't have a page on this game)
I have a feeling that we won't see one until next year. I am confident that it will be available on the Switch, which means it is import-friendly and I would love that.

If I have three hopes with the next game, it would be: Fever mode returns, more than 24 playable characters (not counting reskins like Klug/Strange Klug) and English text.

Thank you for reading.

Looks like Puyo Puyo eSports is announced, and well, I have mixed feelings.

What I love:
- Fever mode is in proper form, unlike Puyo Puyo Tetris.
- New characters are introduced, given how uninteresting the previous game (Chronicle) had been on the character front (only 2 are introduced, and 3 are of limited availability)
- It's cheaper

Uncertain about:
- Game is still in Japan. I hope it's localised only because I presume that online subscription is not region-free
- If that's all the game has to offer

What I didn't like:
- Still 24 characters. This game better have more characters because the 24 limit is frankly too limiting for Puyo Puyo. Yes, this is the arc number for Puyo Puyo but the limit is too imposing.
- The same new characters are likely going to use favourite older characters' moveset. I can see Harpy, for example, using Yu & Rei's moveset (the trailer didn't contradict this so far).

Thank you for reading.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino - Snake is in Smash
Congratulations Puyo Puyo Community. You're the next community spotlight! Lets get some more players in on the stacking action!

I really like this game for Switch. I’m garbage at Puyo (and by extension Fusion), but I loved playing through the story earlier this year.

Recently started venturing into online matches and... it’s been a struggle. Still very fun regardless.

I want to improve at puyo, but I have trouble visualizing opportunities and taking advantage.

If anyone wants to do some tetris vs tetris matches, let me know.

I play the switch version, love it to death. I'm hoping to get the PC version eventually

Who's going to get Puyo Puyo Esports (PS4, Switch, Arcade) next month? I think some of the main highlights of the news released so far are:
  • Fever mode is back. It's basically like Puyo Puyo Tetris Big Bang, but you have to build a meter to enter Fever mode, and only for 15-30 seconds. It's a reversal mechanic, basically. It's intended to let beginners have fun but it's pretty good competitively too.
  • Chain assist. On the lowest handicap setting, the game will highlight the trigger point of your chain to help you stay focused on what you're building.
  • Boost mode. For matches with your friends, you can give the losing player a free starter chain and other bonuses in the next round.
  • "New" Ranking System. The game will use the ELO(?) ranking system from Puyo Puyo Chronicle (2016, 3DS). This is a huuuuuge improvement over the system currently in place for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Rankings in Puyo Puyo Tetris are inflated and require tons of grinding, so it's difficult to play with people your skill level, novice or pro.
  • $20. Half the price of Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch. Also, it's available digitally on PS4.
Currently, the game is confirmed for localization for Taiwan and South Korea. US/EU localization seems possible, but still up in the air.

I'll probably get my hands on it before the year ends. The footage I've seen of it look very good, less intrusive of the puyo grid but still with fun animations. Hopefully it will include a couple of modes to help beginner players with stacking techniques.

Been obsessed lately with Puyo Puyo Tetris. Bought it digital on the switch while in Japan, and while I was there I bought the Xbox one version.
Gonna get it on PC when it goes on sale.

I also got two friends hooked..

Don't know how to get better in this game

The tutorial teaches you how to make chains, but since drops are random, I never feel like I coud build those perfect blocks that could trigger a chain reaction

I run the Xbox Live Club for Puyo Puyo Tetris on Xbox One so shout up if you wanna join in the fun on the one version that NO-ONE ELSE OWNS (Xbox One version exclusive to Japan lol)

I'm surprised this 2017 PPT thread is 50 posts long and being spotlighted haven't done it any justice. PPT is such a great game. I have the Japanese PS4 version since 2016 and still play it once or twice a month. I think I would play it more if I had gotten the digital version.