DCEU Era |OT2| Rebirth not Reboot

My guess is Bruce is either off with the Justice League and/or he's retired as Batman.
Just kill Batffleck off screen, have Wonder Woman and Flash mention his death in a simple conversation... "Oh yes, we shouldn't have taken Bruce on this mission against super-powered villains, first punch and his head flew off... poor Bruce"

Just kill Batffleck off screen, have Wonder Woman and Flash mention his death in a simple conversation... "Oh yes, we shouldn't have taken Bruce on this mission against super-powered villains, first punch and his head flew off... poor Bruce"
Why do that though when you can just recast with another older actor for Old Bruce in present day without having to worry about him playing Batman long term (just let Reeves' man play Young Bruce/Batman in the past) and go in with a DCU Batman Beyond film?

You're telling me you'd rather kill Bruce off entirely than see this adapted to the big screen?

I would be okay if they recast as long as they provide an in universe explanation for it.
Earth-2 Batman, Lazarus Pit, whatever just gimme dat continuity!
Nah. Let Reeves pick whoever the heck he wants for Bruce. If his whole trilogy winds up being set prior to Superman arriving in Gotham, then that's fine. If the DCU winds up needing a new guy to play Older Bruce too, either let Reeves' younger actor play him there too a la Fassbinder and McAvoy in the X-Men films or find another older actor to really emphasize the age difference.

Gimme Retired Bruce in the present With Terry as Batman Beyond.

Please no Batman Beyond. I always say this but we need vanilla Batman and have it done right before Batman Beyond.
We're getting that with the Reeves films. My suggestion is based on the fact that Snyder (and Whedon) pretty much botched the idea of Bruce as Batman longterm in the present day of the DCU. The only way out of that is to either just recast a younger actor in general and ignore the continuity issues or play up on the established ground and see that to its natural conclusion (Retired Bruce and Batman Beyond).

Birds of Prey apparently outright stating that no one's seen Batman for two years points to something. Bruce just opting to be Batman elsewhere for that long doesn't really add up, especially since we all know they are planning on focusing way more on solo films and fewer crossovers for the next several years, so it doesn't add up for him just to be Batman for Justice League reasons. Especially following up that "I can barely do it now" line from JL.

Have Bruce retired from being Batman, potentially pulling an Oracle with the Justice League and also looking for a successor as the new Batman.

Last edited:
I had a dream a last week about a movie to reset the universe.

Ewan McGregor Green Arrow was brought to an alternate universe ruled by a Superwoman played by Gwendoline Christie because that world's Oliver Queen had the only Kryptonite hid away but was dead so the good guys (don't remember who) needed another Oliver Queen to bypass security. I don't remember anything else except at the end he is sent back and runs into Jon Hamm as Bruce Wayne and the Man of Steel battle was happening. It was a pretty cool dream.

Can we all at least agree that starting a shared universe with a dead beat late 40's batman was a bad idea right? Like a really bad and short sighted idea.
Yes, it was. And I stand by my theory that it was never the plan to go ahead with a Marvel style 10+ year universe with Synder's original cast. He wanted to make 3 movies (4 if you count JL being a part 1 and 2) with a very specific world and story. WB came in and said no, you have to change it all to match Marvel's strategy so we can make more money, hence Man of Steel 2 turning into BvS.

Can we all at least agree that starting a shared universe with a dead beat late 40's batman was a bad idea right? Like a really bad and short sighted idea.
I thought it was a fascinating idea, but I think it would have been best put as an Earth-2 story where Earth-1 Batman comes in and beats him up for being a bad guy.

But overall, even though I think Affleck is a horrible Batman, I'm happy because at least it isn't quippy Batman. I would rather this than a hypothetical quippy MCU version

Nope. I don't see how it was a bad idea at all. It could easily have been great. Established villains, bat family, the killing joke. All of that could have worked out perfectly if WB had done it right.

The only thing Justice League set up though is the heroes being heroes “again”. They can keep going with this universe and build it without ever referencing the MOS, BvS or JL in the future. They can start over without actually rebooting and recasting unless the actors themselves want out. Hopefully Aquaman and Shazam does just that.

Nope. I don't see how it was a bad idea at all. It could easily have been great. Established villains, bat family, the killing joke. All of that could have worked out perfectly if WB had done it right.
Yeah. I was all for the idea, but it came apart. What we know and what we heard about what Affleck's ideas were, it sounded very intriguing. Along the lines of the Batman in the Arkham games. Someone who has already encountered Joker, Riddler, Scarecrow, Bane, etc. and especially post-BvS, with his renewed faith. Plus a world where metahumans were coming out of the shadows.

I'm more than happy with what Reeves is doing, but I don't think the previous idea was a mistake at all. It just hit a ton of roadblocks.

As I understand it, the current approach is to pump the brakes on the team ups and focus on each hero having their franchise, while existing in the shared universe. So no Justice League follow up for a long time.

Yeah. I was all for the idea, but it came apart. What we know and what we heard about what Affleck's ideas were, it sounded very intriguing. Along the lines of the Batman in the Arkham games. Someone who has already encountered Joker, Riddler, Scarecrow, Bane, etc. and especially post-BvS, with his renewed faith. Plus a world where metahumans were coming out of the shadows.

I'm more than happy with what Reeves is doing, but I don't think the previous idea was a mistake at all. It just hit a ton of roadblocks.

As I understand it, the current approach is to pump the brakes on the team ups and focus on each hero having their franchise, while existing in the shared universe. So no Justice League follow up for a long time.
Yea I honestly think BvS was the perfect setup. There's so much they could have done from there, even if you include JL since JL didn't really change anything. He wants to be a hero now ok cool. Now throw in villains that have escaped Arkham, or throw in Killing Joke or Red Hood. It doesn't get easier than that.

Have a trilogy centered around Red Hood. How amazing would that be? The unveil in the second movie that red Hood is Jason Todd, then the third movie of Batman having to deal with his own conscience and he tries to take him down. Omg.....WB what is you doing?!?

Wrong, it was the best way. Battle hardened bats and he has a full bat family established. I’m so tired of young Batman and him being solo, I’ll be honest, I like the robins more than bats.

Nah. Let Reeves pick whoever the heck he wants for Bruce. If his whole trilogy winds up being set prior to Superman arriving in Gotham, then that's fine. If the DCU winds up needing a new guy to play Older Bruce too, either let Reeves' younger actor play him there too a la Fassbinder and McAvoy in the X-Men films or find another older actor to really emphasize the age difference.

Gimme Retired Bruce in the present With Terry as Batman Beyond.

We're getting that with the Reeves films. My suggestion is based on the fact that Snyder (and Whedon) pretty much botched the idea of Bruce as Batman longterm in the present day of the DCU. The only way out of that is to either just recast a younger actor in general and ignore the continuity issues or play up on the established ground and see that to its natural conclusion (Retired Bruce and Batman Beyond).

Birds of Prey apparently outright stating that no one's seen Batman for two years points to something. Bruce just opting to be Batman elsewhere for that long doesn't really add up, especially since we all know they are planning on focusing way more on solo films and fewer crossovers for the next several years, so it doesn't add up for him just to be Batman for Justice League reasons. Especially following up that "I can barely do it now" line from JL.

Have Bruce retired from being Batman, potentially pulling an Oracle with the Justice League and also looking for a successor as the new Batman.
Reeves looks to just be giving us prequels. I’m cool with the first being a prequel but not the other two. We need a Batman Prime that interacts with the other heroes. Not flashback Batman.

If the first one is Long Halloween-esque or whatever, and set three years into it then cool. But let’s not get around the short sighted decisions they made when establishing him by just focusing on his past exploits.

The post below emphasizes the bad move they made when they casted an old ass Bats. A catalyst is needed for fixing that. Something like Flashpoint or an accidental dip in the Lazarus pit.

But just focusing on his past and calling him missing in the current movies is not the right move imo.

I think Batman Beyond would be great as part of the elseworlds films.

Yup.

They can still have all that with a DCAU age Batman. Late 30s.

Yeah, my agreement with the "WB made a mistake of making Batman older" only meant I didn't want him to be 45. I also don't want a year 1 or 3 Batman. I want to see a year 7 or 8 Batman. In his prime, most of his villains established with room to introduce more and the Bat Family firmly established. Dick could've just quit being Robin, Jason is now Robin, Batgirl is active, etc.

Yeah, my agreement with the "WB made a mistake of making Batman older" only meant I didn't want him to be 45. I also don't want a year 1 or 3 Batman. I want to see a year 7 or 8 Batman. In his prime, most of his villains established with room to introduce more and the Bat Family firmly established. Dick could've just quit being Robin, Jason is now Robin, Batgirl is active, etc.
I’m down with that too. But I’m also down for a 35 year old Batman. Either way, the mistake needs to be addressed. I’m down for a Flashpoint event. Or some type of time fuckery.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
I think a battle-weary Bruce was one of Snyder's better choices because it opened you up for a lot more story-telling potential.

A distant Nightwing, a deceased Jason, a possible Damian/Talia story down the road. It establishes that the world had threats before Superman showed up.

I think a battle-weary Bruce was one of Snyder's better choices because it opened you up for a lot more story-telling potential.

A distant Nightwing, a deceased Jason, a possible Damian/Talia story down the road. It establishes that the world had threats before Superman showed up.
Right. It’s a great idea. But why a 45 year old Bats and not a 35 year old Bats? Both ages fit but one is more limited with storytelling than the other.

Arguably 35 year old Batman is just meeting Dick, hasn't faced off with Bane, really settling into being Batman, and so on. That's good and all but different than a 45 year old bats.

Sometimes it's tricky, depending on when he began. BvS Batman likely started in his mid twenties.

He was roughly 45 in BvS and said they've been doing it for 20 years, hence starting around 24-25, like in Year One. In my head canon Bruce meets Dick 3 years into being Batman and Dick is like 15 years old. That way he can be Robin for 5 years then peace out at 20 to go be Nightwing and Bruce is only 33. Gets Jason only like 6 months later and spends a year training him. Now Bruce is 35 and Jason is 17 as Robin. Jason is Robin for only like 2 years before Joker kills him. 37 yr old Batman, starting to get hardened.

Reeves looks to just be giving us prequels. I’m cool with the first being a prequel but not the other two. We need a Batman Prime that interacts with the other heroes. Not flashback Batman.

If the first one is Long Halloween-esque or whatever, and set three years into it then cool. But let’s not get around the short sighted decisions they made when establishing him by just focusing on his past exploits.

The post below emphasizes the bad move they made when they casted an old ass Bats. A catalyst is needed for fixing that. Something like Flashpoint or an accidental dip in the Lazarus pit.

But just focusing on his past and calling him missing in the current movies is not the right move imo.

I think Batman Beyond would be great as part of the elseworlds films.

Yup.

They can still have all that with a DCAU age Batman. Late 30s.
We are talking like a 10 year difference? What storylines are limited from a 45 year old bats? Isn't a 35 year old bats too young for Damien?

They can easily retcon the whole jaded and worn out angle from the movies and make 45 year old bats simply an experienced bat who's amazing at everything. Then maybe at the end of the movies have him start to wear out and retire around 50, kinda like RDJ as Iron-man.

Looks like Aquaman has less competition on the 21st of December with Alita changing slots.

We are talking like a 10 year difference? What storylines are limited from a 45 year old bats? Isn't a 35 year old bats too young for Damien?

They can easily retcon the whole jaded and worn out angle from the movies and make 45 year old bats simply an experienced bat who's amazing at everything. Then maybe at the end of the movies have him start to wear out and retire around 50, kinda like RDJ as Iron-man.
You’re almost where my mindset is.

If you have a ten year younger Bats, it allows you to hire someone who can be truely dedicated to the role and stay in shape. Basically, an older Batfleck isn’t sustainable.

He was roughly 45 in BvS and said they've been doing it for 20 years, hence starting around 24-25, like in Year One. In my head canon Bruce meets Dick 3 years into being Batman and Dick is like 15 years old. That way he can be Robin for 5 years then peace out at 20 to go be Nightwing and Bruce is only 33. Gets Jason only like 6 months later and spends a year training him. Now Bruce is 35 and Jason is 17 as Robin. Jason is Robin for only like 2 years before Joker kills him. 37 yr old Batman, starting to get hardened.
But the Joker killed Dick.

Looks like Aquaman has less competition on the 21st of December with Alita changing slots.

If you have a ten year younger Bats, it allows you to hire someone who can be truely dedicated to the role and stay in shape. Basically, an older Batfleck isn’t sustainable.
Alita was never competition.

Now Bumblebee? They need that to move ASAP.

Oh you meant from an actors standpoint. Maybe Affleck isn't sustainable but I guarantee there are plenty of actors out there that would have been. Who would have known Affleck would be so unreliable tho?