Destiny 2: Forsaken |OT| I'm Coming Home, Ace

That's a console thing, really. Much easier to track jumping targets w/ a mouse. In Gambit, it's just unnecessary at best.
Oh for sure, there's a bunch of tactics I'd need to unlearn if I switch to PC. The game plays very differently at a micro level no the two platforms.

Been viewing all my online clan mates and friends lists to inspect other people's legendary roles, and I'm seeing a lot of Counterbalance Stocks being placed on weapons that really don't benefit much from them.

All that mod does is make recoil slightly more vertical, and it doesn't really do much for guns that have very little horizontal drift.

There are much better modes for guns like Go Figure like Minor Spec.
I think CB for Pulses in general are good. If I use Minor Spec, I would probably stick it in an AR.

How? Most PR's have very little horizontal drift, which is what CB affects.

CB would be much better on most ARS that have more.
They still have a little bit of sway. For PVP, it doesn't hurt to stick a CB for more stability. There's diff a difference. For PVE, yea, you can stick other stuff on it.

Point is, attempting to put an ultimatum on this is not going to improve the situation for you
It's not so much giving the game an ultimatum as it is putting a timeline on how much longer I can put up with the mounting frustration. I say it all the time, but one of the reasons I play loot games is for the loot. Finding exotics only feels "impactful" if you actually... find them.

They still have a little bit of sway. For PVP, it doesn't hurt to stick a CB for more stability. There's diff a difference. For PVE, yea, you can stick other stuff on it.
I guess most mods are only slight buffs anyway so it doesn't really matter, I think my main issue with CB is that it seems to be one of the least effective mod overall. Tested it on a bunch of weapons and can hardly see a difference in recoil patterns for the most part.

It's also unclear what it does from the tooltip alone, so I think a lot of people throw it on without even understanding exactly what it's doing.

You stick a CB mod on a SMG with Tap the Trigger and Dynamic Sway Reduction and that fucker won’t jump at all.

Is there a good guide somewhere for the new mod system? I have a TON but haven't modded anything yet. I'm only LL 525 so I keep thinking I should wait until at least 560/570?
You got the right idea. Wait until you’re higher level and find armor you’ll stick with. Although if you find yourself a good roll on a weapon that you’ll be using forever, you can pop one into it.

What's the fastest way to obtain Paradox Amplifiers and other materials for Prophecy Verses?

Chasing that Telesto catalyst and this grind is horrible...

Been viewing all my online clan mates and friends lists to inspect other people's legendary roles, and I'm seeing a lot of Counterbalance Stocks being placed on weapons that really don't benefit much from them.

All that mod does is make recoil slightly more vertical, and it doesn't really do much for guns that have very little horizontal drift.

There are much better modes for guns like Go Figure like Minor Spec.
Unfortunately, there is very little information about what mods are the most effective and in what scenarios right now, so people are just trying things. Particularly for PvP.

Also consider people's supply of more ideal mods may be more limited than you realize. For example, I only have 2x Radar Tuners and 3x Freehand Grips, but I have 12 Counterbalance stocks and 4x Backup Mags left after sliding a few into some of my favorite hand cannons. It is thus far more comfortable for me to slide a Counterbalance stock into a given PvP weapon and hoping for the best than to burn one of my only 2 radar tuners. I imagine many others are in the same boat.

edit: thanks for that guide, LiK. We really needed a guide with some very clear information about these mods given how relatively rare they are.

Stuck at 529 at the moment because a lot of my gear is 529 - 533, and I have one really low piece. Really don't like the iterative soft caps on powerful gear, but I do like that there are a lot more powerful engrams / prime engrams to get and activities to do each day.

I keep trying to do the Ascendant Challenge solo but I just can't at my power level. Anyone interested in doing it?

A protip for when you find yourself with one piece or equipment much lower than everything else (i.e. about 8 levels below your average) Load up any Nightfall where you can get back to the Patrol space and just do PEs and Lost Sectors. In a NF blue drops scale up to about -5 of your average level, so you can easily gain a few levels that way.

I somehow completed the Dark Monastery quest being about 12 below recommended light level (a lot of cheesing AI and supers).
However the first time I tried I died b/c I accidentally aggro'd some 570 or 580LL enemy? ANyone know whats up with that guy?

I somehow completed the Dark Monastery quest being about 12 below recommended light level (a lot of cheesing AI and supers).
However the first time I tried I died b/c I accidentally aggro'd some 570 or 580LL enemy? ANyone know whats up with that guy?
Optional boss for Triumph. You can skip him.

Very good guide.

Interesting to note how many of these weapon mods have at least some application on PC with a mouse.
  • Backup Mag - Clear benefits, especially on hand cannons and auto-rifles. We're talking as much as +30% ammo on hand cannons. I have this on every good hand cannon, I think.
  • Counterbalance Stock - Does your favorite rapid fire weapon kick to the left or right a lot when firing? This will help.
  • Targeting Adjuster (?) - Supposedly affects hitboxes, giving you slightly bigger crit spots or something? Would like to test but man...I only have 2 of these and Mesa Sean sounded like he wasn't sure either. Clearly beneficial on console, but still questionable on PC without more, definitive testing.
  • Radar Tuner - Great in general. Especially on weapons that you go in and out of ADS a lot on. Sounds like a good choice for range weapons but don't sleep on this for close range weapons like shotguns. Slide in -> ADS -> murder -> Instant Radar to immediately assess other close threats sounds like the dream. I only have 2 of these, though so they sit in my inventory as I suffer through paralysis of analysis.
  • Icarus Grip - Very little definitive information out there at this point, but it appears that your hipfire or ADS shots while flying through the air are more likely to hit. Seems like it would be kinda hard to test and thus hard to quantify its gains. If it turns out to be really beneficial, I assume it would be great on any close range weapon (Sidearms, hand cannons, SMGs, shotguns) or even one-hit-kill weapons like Sniper Rifles.
  • Freehand Grip - If it is as strong as Hipfire Grip (the perk) is, this should be great for any rifle or SMG. I found Hipfire Grip on my Purpose (Trials Scout) really allowed me to take medium and even short range fights by simply hip firing, something generally unrealistic for scouts without the perk. Not sure if Freehand Grip is similarly strong and with only 3 of them in my inventory, I am discouraged to experiment. Freehand Grip on a weapon that rolled with Hipfire Grip is probably nutty. Never ADS ever!
  • Minor/Major/Boss - Obvious.
  • Taken Spec - I'm told this one is about +10% to Taken enemies of all levels (minor, major, boss) which is pretty cool if you want to have some dedicated Dreaming City weaponry. I only have 1 of these, so I am again shy about using it.

Did I miss anything? And if anyone has personal experience in comparing one mod with another on the same weapon, do share results.

Hey guys, question about Whisper quest... If I failed there, am I supposed to wait another public event to get portal again?
Yes.

Note you can sometimes get the cabal event instead so just chill until it comes back or you can do other things in the meanwhile on the planet (just watch your map and/or ask your fireteam)

Last edited:
Either strikes or crucible

I found this to be a reasonable grind tbh.
It's not just about the length of the grind. I'm already resigned to the fact this is a backburner type.

It's not really reasonable to me when Strikes get boring quite quickly. If the resources were also attainable on Mercury via patrols, PEs, bounties, etc.. it would go a long way to making it actually reasonable imo.

And this is before we even consider how many shards it costs, and that as a returning player I didn't have the benefit of months of shard banking.

I didn't realize they drop in crucible too, though, which is will help a bit. Any idea what the rate of acquisition is there?

I wonder if this week will unlock more cool stuff, like a new campaign mission or something of that sorts.
Purely speculation and opinion but I don't think there will be a new mission this week. Last week there was a triumph for completing the missions available in weeks 2, 3 & 4 which seems like a reasonable way to wrap things up. The Dreaming City is also resetting to its least corrupted form, so, maybe they'll let us replay the old missions in corresponding weeks or something like that.

Once I hit level 50, what should I be doing?
Depends. What power level are you? Generally speaking, you should be looking to increase your power level by doing daily milestones and weekly missions/bounties/milestones that reward you with powerful gear to increase your light level further. The higher your light level, the more realistic doing Dreaming City content and Nightfalls becomes.

As you've probably already found, Dreaming City fuckin HURTS when you first get there. The higher your light level, the less those enemies hurt and the more you hurt them. It will take some weeks, but you'll find yourself right at home against them eventually. But your light level and increasing it is the key.

If you can find groups to help carry you through regular nightfalls that powerful engram will help quite a bit.

Do any activity you can handle that will give you a powerful drop.

I wonder if this week will unlock more cool stuff, like a new campaign mission or something of that sorts.
No, everything should reset to week 1 now. The lore reason is that Riven was taken by Oryx during the Taken War, and then after Oryx was defeated Savathun (Oryx's sister) convinced Riven to give her a wish. Her wish was that the Dreaming City would be stuck in a never ending cycle of corruption, so that she could feed off the destruction energy. Riven basically tricked the guardians into killing her and taking her heart out of her prison in order to grant that wish.

At least that's how I understand it. I'll probably sit down and read all the lore stuff after I've collected most of it!

It's not just about the length of the grind. I'm already resigned to the fact this is a backburner type.

It's not really reasonable to me when Strikes get boring quite quickly. If the resources were also attainable on Mercury via patrols, PEs, bounties, etc.. it would go a long way to making it actually reasonable imo.

And this is before we even consider how many shards it costs, and that as a returning player I didn't have the benefit of months of shard banking.

I didn't realize they drop in crucible too, though, which is will help a bit. Any idea what the rate of acquisition is there?
Rate of drops are rng as far as I can tell.

Brother Vance wants those weird materials and occasionally he'll ask for some pinkish looking seed things.

For The materials you want blue drops, they are worth like 5x the green ones.

As for the prophecy weapons

I don't know which Verses each one is but I recommend

Traveller's Judgement - sidearm

Perfect Paradox - Saint 14's shotgun

Null Calamity - pretty good auto rifle

West of Sunfall - low key one of the best handcannons in the game.

Jack Queen King - good 140 hc

And the pulse, I think it's called Sol Pariah?

Last edited:
Rate of drops are rng as far as I can tell.

Brother Cancer wants those weird materials and occasionally he'll ask for some pinkish looking seed things.

For The materials you want blue drops, they are worth like 5x the green ones.

As for the prophecy weapons

I don't know which Verses each one is but I recommend

Traveller's Judgement - sidearm

Perfect Paradox - Saint 14's shotgun

Null Calamity - pretty good auto rifle

West of Sunfall - low key one of the best handcannons in the game.

Jack Queen King - good 140 hc

And the pulse, I think it's called Sol Pariah?
I don't care about the weapon's at all, I'm in it exclusively for the catalyst.

Saying that, I will test out the ones you mention. The feel of a weapon is important to me and there might be something here that fits me better than my current favourites.

Thanks for the tips.

Amazing, played for 20 minutes today, got a prime engram drop from a high value kill while visiting spider which turned into a 517 edge transit, then my daily crucible gave me a 514 Titan mark moving me from 509 to 513.

Every slot is fairly balanced now so I should move quickly on reset tomorrow.

No, everything should reset to week 1 now. The lore reason is that Riven was taken by Oryx during the Taken War, and then after Oryx was defeated Savathun (Oryx's sister) convinced Riven to give her a wish. Her wish was that the Dreaming City would be stuck in a never ending cycle of corruption, so that she could feed off the destruction energy. Riven basically tricked the guardians into killing her and taking her heart out of her prison in order to grant that wish.

At least that's how I understand it. I'll probably sit down and read all the lore stuff after I've collected most of it!
So that's what Mara was referring to when she mentioned a never-ending cycle. That part of the dialogue threw me off.

540 something Titan. I've done everything but the new dungeon, 100k NF, and the raid.

I'm down to help with anything as I've completed all my weeklies. So Whisper quest, EP grind for shotgun, Gambit runs, whatever.

I would also quite like to knock the 100k NF out, so any help with this would be appreciated.

PSN in profile.

So Gambit is something I've been hesitant to play so far. I watched a 20 some odd minute overview of the mode, so I think I sort of get it. Kill mobs, collect motes, bank motes and be especially careful not to hoard a bunch and die, especially if you're being invaded. Ummm what else, kill blockers and dps the...adds on the boss first to get a damage buff before you burn him.

I even ground out Sleeper over the weekend cause it's supposed to be good.

But I suck at PvP, like hard. I feel bad enough in quick play crucible where at least there's 5 other people. But with smaller teams and light levels taken into account (I'm like 523 now) I'd feel even worse when I suck.

Am I over thinking this too much? Am I likely just going to get rolled by premades anyways, so I might as well queue up and get some free powerful engrams?

So Gambit is something I've been hesitant to play so far. I watched a 20 some odd minute overview of the mode, so I think I sort of get it. Kill mobs, collect motes, bank motes and be especially careful not to hoard a bunch and die, especially if you're being invaded. Ummm what else, kill blockers and dps the...adds on the boss first to get a damage buff before you burn him.

I even ground out Sleeper over the weekend cause it's supposed to be good.

But I suck at PvP, like hard. I feel bad enough in quick play crucible where at least there's 5 other people. But with smaller teams and light levels taken into account (I'm like 523 now) I'd feel even worse when I suck.

Am I over thinking this too much? Am I likely just going to get rolled by premades anyways, so I might as well queue up and get some free powerful engrams?
There's actually quite a bit of nuance to the mode, but the main things to remember are:

1. Break points for invasions are 25 motes, 50 motes, and when you summon the Primeval they being to happen regularly. So when you're out collecting keep an eye on the progress bar so you don't get caught across map with a tone of motes as an invader appears.

2. Don't worry about maxing your motes, it's much more important to bank. And small blockers are shield enemies that are actually trickier to deal with than the larger ones imo, so it's sometimes better to bank 9 instead of 10.

3. The job of an invader is twofold: kill other players carrying motes to hinder progress toward PE spawn for the enemy team, and to kill while they're damaging their primeval to heal it. While you can't help what random players do, there are optimal times to invade.

The grey portion of the progress bar for both you and the opposing team shows the motes that players are carrying and have yet to bank, so if ta portal appears and the opposite teams' bar has a lot of grey then it's a very good time to invade. And when you do you get instant wallhack so you can see exactly where the enemy is and how many motes each is carrying, so beeline for the ones with the most to lose.

When it comes to the PE phase, there's no point invading when the enemy has done little damage to the PE. Each kill heals for 25% of the PE's health, so wait till they've done enough damage that your kills will make impact.

And save your HW for this, I personally don't run Sleeper as I think Telesto is the absolute best exotic weapon for Gambit, but if you're in any way unsure about your pvp skills then take it and abuse the hell out of it. It's so easy to get kills as an invader with Sleeper and wallhack, it's really only about knowing how to time your invasions.

4. Revive other players asap, the momentum gained by keeping everyone on their feet is often paramount to winning.

--

Invading: even if you're uncomfortable at PvP it's a good idea to practise this. You get wallhack, overshield and you have Sleeper which is basically a free kill if you spot an enemy in the open.

Also tracking rockets, snipers, linear fusion rifles all work well for this. Supers in a pinch, too, although these are best saved for burning the PE.

Being invaded: If you get caught carrying a lot of motes then take up a defensive position, for instance throw up a barrier as a Titan and actively look for he red glow that surrounds the invader. Switch to HW or even ready your super if you have to, but stayig alive with a lot of motes on your person is the most important thing even if you have to hide for the entire 30 seconds.

You're also at the advantage here if you have a lot of motes as it's very likely the enemy will be coming for you, so getting in a defensive position with a HW can take them by surprise very often.

If you're in the PE phase and you're invaded, I recommend falling in with your team but standing behind them so the enemy either gives away their position by killing a teammate in front of you, or charges in and gives you a chance to take them out while they're not focused on you.

And generally just take your time. When approaching a new enemy spawn location approach it from the side, and take everything out methodically. Don't worry about rushing in to grab motes, it's more important to kill stuff and stay alive.

The pvp aspects are important but the asymmetric nature of them will help your concerns. When being invaded you have 3 others to help you, when invading you get wall hack and over shield.

-

While you're learning try not to get too stressed. It's a nuanced mode, and it can be very one sided at times. Concentrate on learning the nuances and getting comfy with the playstyles required before you start caring about things like win ratios. And if you do care about the latter then I highly recommend finding a partner to play with at the very least.

So, I'm feeling kinda bored and want to play some more Destiny, but honestly there's not that much I really need to do before reset tomorrow so I'm gonna try to not play today and instead do something else. Like maybe post about Destiny.

Anyhow, here are my thoughts on Forsaken thus far:

Overall, I think the power grind is a little lopsided. It's a bit too hard to get into the raid, and you power up a little too quickly when you can clear it. It took 10 days of solid grinding on 3 chars to get to 543 on opening weekend, compared to how in TTK / RoI you had a few days to get raid ready on one char. I'm currently sitting at 599/598/598 on my three chars after 6 full raid clears in second and third week and one run up to Riven in the first week. Given that we had a week before the raid came out, that's basically me at max power after a month. I think it would have been better if the raid was 550 - 570 with raid drops soft capped at 580, rather than it being 560 - 580 with a 590 soft cap.

The exotic RNG is pretty bad, but they are addressing it. The Malfeasance RNG is actually really bad though, and kinda ruins Gambit. I have a couple of friends I play with and we played a lot all last week and didn't see the primeval, but then one of us dropped off on Friday to go out for dinner and we got it straight away. We lucked out and ended up seeing it twice on Saturday though, we we were able to help our friend get the drop but it still sucked. Each time we killed the primeval ahead of the other team there were quitters on the other side too; I can totally get why someone would ragequit if they'd played 100+ matches without seeing it and then ended up losing anyway. Apparently some people didn't even the quest after killing it, but I assume that must be a bug because otherwise that's way too harsh.

Honestly, if they put a consumable in the game that let you summon the special primeval I wouldn't complain. Make it cost like, 1k legendary shards or planetary mats or whatever, but right now the RNG to get it is brutal.

The ongoing, looping story for the Dreaming City is kinda cool. I like how they came up with a narrative justification to have a repeating cycle of content, and it suits the game well.

I like the new PvP, but I suspect a lot of the community are now thinking they should be more careful what they wish for. Before Forsaken there were lots of people calling for a return to the hectic days of D1Y1, and that seems to be what they've got. I still haven't got Thousand Voices yet, but I expect a lot of people to get very unhappy as that gun becomes more widespread. The players who are currently calling for a Sleeper nerf because of gambit will loose their shit when that starts appearing more often. Personally, I think the new more deadly PvP plays into the strengths of what makes Destiny unique: it's a high mobility game of positioning where you win by outmanoeuvring your opponent, rather than the more dull dexterity test of who's better at headshots you find in more traditional shooters.

So yea, I'm still liking Forsaken! I'm back to the days of wanting to play every day, which is nice. I might even try competitive this season; everyone says the Luna grind isn't actually that bad.

JohnOfMars

Community Resettler

This gun is make me such a terrible player. Challenging 2 players, including a hardscoped sniper is so dumb, but lolz, imma howl on you.

Up to 400 kills on this this thing since Friday.