Destiny 2: Forsaken |OT| I'm Coming Home, Ace

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually quite a bit of nuance to the mode, but the main things to remember are:

1. Break points for invasions are 25 motes, 50 motes, and when you summon the Primeval they being to happen regularly. So when you're out collecting keep an eye on the progress bar so you don't get caught across map with a tone of motes as an invader appears.

2. Don't worry about maxing your motes, it's much more important to bank. And small blockers are shield enemies that are actually trickier to deal with than the larger ones imo, so it's sometimes better to bank 9 instead of 10.

3. The job of an invader is twofold: kill other players carrying motes to hinder progress toward PE spawn for the enemy team, and to kill while they're damaging their primeval to heal it. While you can't help what random players do, there are optimal times to invade.

The grey portion of the progress bar for both you and the opposing team shows the motes that players are carrying and have yet to bank, so if ta portal appears and the opposite teams' bar has a lot of grey then it's a very good time to invade. And when you do you get instant wallhack so you can see exactly where the enemy is and how many motes each is carrying, so beeline for the ones with the most to lose.

When it comes to the PE phase, there's no point invading when the enemy has done little damage to the PE. Each kill heals for 25% of the PE's health, so wait till they've done enough damage that your kills will make impact.

And save your HW for this, I personally don't run Sleeper as I think Telesto is the absolute best exotic weapon for Gambit, but if you're in any way unsure about your pvp skills then take it and abuse the hell out of it. It's so easy to get kills as an invader with Sleeper and wallhack, it's really only about knowing how to time your invasions.

4. Revive other players asap, the momentum gained by keeping everyone on their feet is often paramount to winning.

--

Invading: even if you're uncomfortable at PvP it's a good idea to practise this. You get wallhack, overshield and you have Sleeper which is basically a free kill if you spot an enemy in the open.

Also tracking rockets, snipers, linear fusion rifles all work well for this. Supers in a pinch, too, although these are best saved for burning the PE.

Being invaded: If you get caught carrying a lot of motes then take up a defensive position, for instance throw up a barrier as a Titan and actively look for he red glow that surrounds the invader. Switch to HW or even ready your super if you have to, but stayig alive with a lot of motes on your person is the most important thing even if you have to hide for the entire 30 seconds.

You're also at the advantage here if you have a lot of motes as it's very likely the enemy will be coming for you, so getting in a defensive position with a HW can take them by surprise very often.

If you're in the PE phase and you're invaded, I recommend falling in with your team but standing behind them so the enemy either gives away their position by killing a teammate in front of you, or charges in and gives you a chance to take them out while they're not focused on you.

And generally just take your time. When approaching a new enemy spawn location approach it from the side, and take everything out methodically. Don't worry about rushing in to grab motes, it's more important to kill stuff and stay alive.

The pvp aspects are important but the asymmetric nature of them will help your concerns. When being invaded you have 3 others to help you, when invading you get wall hack and over shield.

-

While you're learning try not to get too stressed. It's a nuanced mode, and it can be very one sided at times. Concentrate on learning the nuances and getting comfy with the playstyles required before you start caring about things like win ratios. And if you do care about the latter then I highly recommend finding a partner to play with at the very least.
Appreciate the breakdown, clearly there's a lot of info to assimilate.

I played a ton of D1, but have only been playing D2 for like 3 weeks. So my selection of weapons isn't super varied. I think I only have about 10 or 15 exotics and around half of those are armor.

I'm really more of a pure pve player in these types of games, so win ratio doesn't really matter to me. I'm mostly just trying to take advantage of as many possible upgrade paths as I can.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see Sleeper used that often atm... maybe I'm just lucky? The vast majority of invaders I see rush in with supers active.

With how ridiculously effective it is and how often people complain about it ITT, I thought I'd see it a lot more than I do.

Is there a stat tracking site that shows the acquisition % of Sleeper across the playerbase? Be interested to see how many players actually own it.

Appreciate the breakdown, clearly there's a lot of info to assimilate.

I played a ton of D1, but have only been playing D2 for like 3 weeks. So my selection of weapons isn't super varied. I think I only have about 10 or 15 exotics and around half of those are armor.

I'm really more of a pure pve player in these types of games, so win ratio doesn't really matter to me. I'm mostly just trying to take advantage of as many possible upgrade paths as I can.
I forgot to mention the buff you get from killing Envoys. When the PE spawns, so do two wizards called Envoys. Kill them to activate a buff that increases damage to the PE. And kill all the adds quickly first if you can so you can focus fire on the PE and not worry about avoiding damage as they can hit quite hard.

-

If you have something masterwork for orb generation take it. Also any armour that gives orbs on kill perks are very useful.

If you have Telesto I also highly recommend trying it out. The weapon excels at multikills, and you can take out an entire horde of Gambit enemies with 1-2 shots, and they very often bunch up to allow this to be abused to hell.

It also has very high single target damage, and a full reserve of Telesto ammo will take off a HUGE chunk of the PE's health bar.

It also has very decent range, so you can fusion snipe things like Envoys from saftey.

It's also incredibly efficient against invaders.

It's pretty much a power weapon in the energy slot, too.

-

In general though any weapon will do, whatever you're most comfortable with.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see Sleeper used that often atm... maybe I'm just lucky? The vast majority of invaders I see rush in with supers active.

With how ridiculously effective it is and how often people complain about it ITT, I thought I'd see it a lot more than I do.

Is there a stat tracking site that shows the acquisition % of Sleeper across the playerbase? Be interested to see how many players actually own it.

I forgot to mention the buff you get from killing Envoys. When the PE spawns, so do two wizards called Envoys. Kill them to activate a buff that increases damage to the PE. And kill all the adds quickly first if you can so you can focus fire on the PE and not worry about avoiding damage as they can hit quite hard.

-

If you have something masterwork for orb generation take it. Also any armour that gives orbs on kill perks are very useful.

If you have Telesto I also highly recommend trying it out. The weapon excels at multikills, and you can take out an entire horde of Gambit enemies with 1-2 shots, and they very often bunch up to allow this to be abused to hell.

It also has very high single target damage, and a full reserve of Telesto ammo will take off a HUGE chunk of the PE's health bar.

It also has very decent range, so you can fusion snipe things like Envoys from saftey.

It's also incredibly efficient against invaders.

It's pretty much a power weapon in the energy slot, too.

-

In general though any weapon will do, whatever you're most comfortable with.
All good info, maybe I will give it a try after all.

I definitely don't have Telesto and I think the only Masterworked primary I have is Crimson. I don't love Crimson and using it would mean no Sleeper. I've gotten a couple of those fully Masterworked drops, but they've been things like sniper rifles.

I also only have like 10 or 12 cores, so I can't really do much. I've brought up a couple of favorites just so I can keep using them, but I dont think I have anywhere near enough resources to masterwork something I actually like using.

Oct 25, 2017

I definitely don't have Telesto and I think the only Masterworked primary I have is Crimson. I don't love Crimson and using it would mean no Sleeper. I've gotten a couple of those fully Masterworked drops, but they've been things like sniper rifles.
None of that post was essential, more icing on the cake.

Use whatever you feel most comfortable with!

And enjoy the mode, it's really unique and probably my favourite thing about Forsaken (yet to raid though).

Oct 25, 2017
did the cheese last night for the first shattered throne encounter as my friends and i arent high enough to complete it. Pretty easy to get an extra petra tier piece of gear

Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to the PE phase, there's no point invading when the enemy has done little damage to the PE. Each kill heals for 25% of the PE's health, so wait till they've done enough damage that your kills will make impact.
I just want to say at the higher levels at play invading immediately is actually fine and may be optimal because if you're playing actually good/coordinated teams there won't be any opportunities to "heal the primeval" because their strategy will involve the primeval having only two states: 100% alive or 100% dead, and the "burn" phase will take seconds at most.

What you really are trying to do in PE phase is to delay the enemy team from killing their envoys thus slowing the slayer stack gain which makes it possible to execute their insta-kill primeval strategy (usually at 3x or 4x), in which case an immediate invade is advisable.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say at the higher levels at play invading immediately is actually fine and may be optimal because if you're playing actually good/coordinated teams there won't be any opportunities to "heal the primeval" because their strategy will involve the primeval having only two states: 100% alive or 100% dead, and the "burn" phase will take seconds at most.

What you really are trying to do in PE phase is to delay the enemy team from killing their envoys and slowing their stack gain which makes it possible to execute their insta-kill primeval strategy, in which case an immediate invade is advisable.
For the most part teams, even stacks, are not good players. The average player in gambit definitely doesn't use advanced strats, so I think more often than not it's best to wait until the PE has taken damage to invade.

But you're right ultimately, the entire point is to slow down the enemy and you can do this even if you're not healing the PE.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down to help with anything as I've completed all my weeklies.
Shame you're not on PC. I still need help with that Whisper quest, but my PC buddy wasn't online all weekend and I didn't feel like trying to track down a random group for it. It may come to that though.

I didn't really look up any information at all before jumping in. I heard it was a fun mode and decided to try it out. I learned everything he's told you on my own... with a few small exceptions. You kinda learn the optimal strategies as you go.

I was also pretty bad at PvP when I started Gambit. I mostly stuck to PvE and defending my team when possible if there was an invader. I only started invading myself recently now that I've gained a little bit of confidence. Before that, I never even knew where the portal was to invade :P

I'd love to get Telesto but... who knows when\if that will drop. For now I've just been running the Ikelos shotgun.

Speaking of the Ikelos shotgun, does it's bonus damage activate on ranged melee attacks?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Shame you're not on PC. I still need help with that Whisper quest, but my PC buddy wasn't online all weekend and I didn't feel like trying to track down a random group for it. It may come to that though.
I will be in roughly 2-3 months, but then I need to start all over again... so 4. Which is not helpful at all! :p

I can't wait to switch. 60fps, reasonable FoV, m&kb... *drools*

Oct 25, 2017
I will be in roughly 2-3 months, but then I need to start all over again... so 4. Which is not helpful at all! :p

I can't wait to switch. 60fps, reasonable FoV, m&kb... *drools*
Well... if there is anymore meaningful content for this game after Forsaken, there's a chance I'll be around 2-3 months from now. But I'll probably have Whisper by then :P

But yeah... PC has spoiled me for sure. So much so that I actually couldn't play Destiny 1. I really wanted to like that game, but I couldn't get over shooting on a controller.

I actually wasn't prepared for how twitchy this game would be on PC. I thought 60 FPS would be fine. But I can't settle for less than 100. The Crucible feels like Call of Duty with powers. That's actually one of the main reasons I don't enjoy it. You die so fast. I thought multiplayer would feel like epic space wizard battles. But guardians die faster than taken thralls. If you're a split second slower than your enemy, you dead. And people are accurate as FUCK with hand cannons. So yeah... 100 FPS or more is highly recommended.

Oct 25, 2017
Well... if there is anymore meaningful content for this game after Forsaken, there's a chance I'll be around 2-3 months from now. But I'll probably have Whisper by then :P

But yeah... PC has spoiled me for sure. So much so that I actually couldn't play Destiny 1. I really wanted to like that game, but I couldn't get over shooting on a controller.

I actually wasn't prepared for how twitchy this game would be on PC. I thought 60 FPS would be fine. But I can't settle for less than 100. The Crucible feels like Call of Duty with powers. That's actually one of the main reasons I don't enjoy it. You die so fast. I thought multiplayer would feel like epic space wizard battles. But guardians die faster than taken thralls. If you're a split second slower than your enemy, you dead. And people are accurate as FUCK with hand cannons. So yeah... 100 FPS or more is highly recommended.
I'll be hitting those higher FPS when I switch as I'll spend on higher end tech as an investment, I often forget we've moved beyond 60fps because I haven't had a gaming PC for quite a while. I've watched some videos of Destiny at higher frame rates online and damn... it looks like a completely different experience.

Have you tried a console Destiny recently at all? I can imagine dealing with 30fps, but the low field of view must be so jarring. I've never fully gotten used to how restrictive it is. It#s the main reason why I think my switch will be permanent instead of flitting between PC and console. Watching videos of PC play and booting up my game is already super frustrating...

Oct 25, 2017
I could upgrade my ps4 to a pro for now while I save for my PC, but is it worth it at all for Destiny?

A few less frame rate drops? Faster menus maybe? The menus are ridiculously slow at times on base ps4.

Oct 25, 2017
I could upgrade my ps4 to a pro for now while I save for my PC, but is it worth it at all for Destiny?

A few less frame rate drops? Faster menus maybe? The menus are ridiculously slow at times on base ps4.
Not worth it. Stuff is still slow on a Pro unless you have a SSD.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

They screwed up some stuff on Pro like the HDR and performance. I would wait.

Oct 30, 2017
I would hold out for cross save now that Sony have softened their stance

and next gen consoles for D3 -

I just can't leave all my wonderful friends behind for 60fps and fov

Oct 25, 2017
They screwed up some stuff on Pro like the HDR and performance. I would wait.
I don't have an HDR capable TV anyway, so I'd be in it only for performance boosts.

Not worth it. Stuff is still slow on a Pro unless you have a SSD.
And if I have an ssd, how much of a boost do you see?

Anyone know if an SSD on base ps4 gives a decent enough boost to bother with too? The menus are the main thing that are frustrating me, and I could pick up an ssd tomorrow...

Oct 25, 2017
i had to turn HDR off on the pro. For some reason reds (like the crucible bounties) started showing up as orangish and was bothering the hell out of me. Spent 20 minutes trying to adjust my tv before giving up

Oct 25, 2017
The performance issues like stuttering and weird freezes and lag in menus that haven been happening since Forsaken dropped is all over the Pro as well.
Ah, okay.

So I'll do a bit of research on SSDs then, I have other games it would help load times for too. Even a slight performance boost would be felt.

Apr 10, 2018
My first trust I got rolled as outlaw and rampage. I would give it to you if I could. Don't really care for it. Lol
I'm imagining some sort of Guardian black market where scores of Guardian's meet in secret to swap weapons and come up with excuses as to where they found them.

"Alright, this Go Figure has Outlaw and Kill Clip...and where are you going to say you found this thing."

"It er...dropped from a legendary engram on the Tangled Shore."

"That's right...and remember, one word of any of this to the Vanguard and it'll be Grave Robber and Threat Detector's from now till judgement day."

Nov 14, 2017
I got a masterwork Ikelos SG it's masterworked for handling should I reroll the masterwork? If so what should I aim for?
Mine is reload speed. I didn't know you could change it.

My guess is that Range is probably the best?
Stability is best followed by reload speed and handling. Range is kinda useless for the Ikelos Shotty as you'll mostly be using it at melee range. Reload speed is OK, but in most of the situations where you'll be using more than one mag you'll be in a group with a rally barricade or lunafaction rift. That's why overall for most PVE situations you want stability masterwork and use the bottom barrel perk and threat detector. That makes it super easy to keep it pointed at the crit spot of whatever you're trying to melt.

Oct 27, 2017
i had to turn HDR off on the pro. For some reason reds (like the crucible bounties) started showing up as orangish and was bothering the hell out of me. Spent 20 minutes trying to adjust my tv before giving up
Its borked on the Xbox also, everything is black crush. Reddit was all over it.

Oct 27, 2017
When should I cash in all materials and weapon parts to vendors ? As soon as I hit soft cap of 50/500?
Only ones worth turning in are the weapon dealer ones because they're always purple and you can always get a good roll and infuse it down the line. Rest of the vendors cap out at around 370ish I wanna say and are all blue. I wouldn't spend them all at once though.

Oct 25, 2017
That is one sexy gun. Congrats man.

Mine rolled with Outlaw and Rapid Hit....it's okay, but I'd kill for rapid hit to have been rampage.
I have Outlaw and Zen moment on mine, which feels great, but I'd prefer Outlaw / Rampage too.

Still, it's a great HC even with less than optimal perks.

Oct 25, 2017
There's almost certainly going to be a reset again, probably always will between Destiny sequels.

They'll probably overhaul the weapon system again, etc... make other changes that means we can't jsut carry the items over with re-design, and so on. Maybe even engine updates that mean they need to build everything again from scratch anyway.

I'd try to make peace with that now.