Doctor Who ERA |OT| It's Almost Time... But Not Yet

Also saw that the next rumored classic Who seasons after 10 are 18 and 26. And apparently Louise Jameson has been involved in some new extra features being made, which would point to a S14 and/or 15 set in the works too.

They're jumping around pretty strangely -- Baker's first season, then Davison's first, then Baker's last? -- but I guess they don't want to put out all the Baker seasons first and peak early.

So I've got just under three weeks to watch the entire tenth series + Twice Upon a Time (because fuck you too BBC)? That should be perfectly manageable!

Edit: What would I be missing if I bought The Day of the Doctor and The Day of the Doctor seperately instead of the limited 50th anniversary boxset? I already own the film, so I already own The Night of the Doctor, but I'm not sure what else I'd be missing.

Last edited:
Information avalanche! Help me, I'm drowning in news.

Chris Chibnall said:
Finally – Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor is about to crash land on to the nation’s screens. It’s thrilling to think, in the next few weeks and months, there will be children encountering Jodie’s Doctor in the next few weeks who’ve never seen the show before. She’ll be forever their Doctor: you never forget your first.

Alongside Jodie, we have a delightful ensemble of new characters for the audience to fall in love with, led by the incomparable Bradley Walsh.

So break out the popcorn and hunker down for Sunday night adventures in space and time, with the Thirteenth Doctor and her new best friends. The journey’s about to begin.
EPISODE 1: THE WOMAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Jamie Childs, guest starring Sharon D Clarke, Johnny Dixon and Samuel Oatley
We don’t get aliens in Sheffield. In a South Yorkshire city, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O’Brien are about to have their lives changed forever, as a mysterious woman, unable to remember her own name, falls from the night sky. Can they believe a word she says? And can she help solve the strange events taking place across the city?

EPISODE 2: THE GHOST MONUMENT
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Mark Tonderai, guest starring Shaun Dooley, Susan Lynch and Art Malik
Still reeling from their first encounter, can the Doctor and her new friends stay alive long enough, in a hostile alien environment , to solve the mystery of Desolation? And just who are Angstrom and Epzo?

Casting a female Doctor Who was a 'condition' of Chris Chibnall taking on showrunner role
Doctor Who series 11 will feature LGBTQ+ representation and characters "from across the spectrum"
Bradley Walsh: 'Chris Chibnall wants to change how audiences perceive Doctor Who'

Last edited:
Gosh I'm so stoked for this new series. I was a little hesitant on Chibbers taking over given his track record with the show and Torchwood but everything they're saying and everything they've shown so far is absolutely amazing.

So I've got just under three weeks to watch the entire tenth series + Twice Upon a Time (because fuck you too BBC)? That should be perfectly manageable!

Edit: What would I be missing if I bought The Day of the Doctor and The Day of the Doctor seperately instead of the limited 50th anniversary boxset? I already own the film, so I already own The Night of the Doctor, but I'm not sure what else I'd be missing.
this one right?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Anniversary-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B00M40FCY8

The 50th set had Night of the Doctor, Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor plus Adventure in Space and Time and The Five-ish Doctors

Not sure than if I should cough up for the couple of extras than.

Anywho, just started with series 10. I already love Bill. Can't wait to see what she'll do for the rest of the series.

Can't handle the hype.

Presently in series 6 as part of my NUWHO re-watch. I'm not sure if I'll finished in time at this rate, hey ho!

I feel like I've been in an extended marathon, having watched the Classic series during the Twitch marathon, listening to the Big Finish Audios on Spotify... and half-ish way through NuWho.

I'm dressing as 11 for a festival this weekend, so I'm very Doctor Who-y right now.

Also saw that the next rumored classic Who seasons after 10 are 18 and 26. And apparently Louise Jameson has been involved in some new extra features being made, which would point to a S14 and/or 15 set in the works too.

They're jumping around pretty strangely -- Baker's first season, then Davison's first, then Baker's last? -- but I guess they don't want to put out all the Baker seasons first and peak early.
hyped for season 26. If I can get that and 25, I'll be very happy. McCoy/Ace/JNT/Cartmel era is my jam

Sharon D. Clarke is playing Grahm's wife

I don't think Chibnall's silly enough to do a reverse-S5 and have the nagging wife back on Earth worried that her husband is having an affair with a pretty young woman from space, which makes me think something happens to her in the first episode which causes Graham to travel with the Doctor in the first place.

I swear I saw a very early rumour that she gets killed and Graham basically does a Rose and tries to travel back to save her but that was no doubt baselesss speculation.

Right now half way series ten where:

The monks have taken over due to Bil consenting with them protecting earth.

I genuinely feel this season so far is by far the strongest of the Moffat era. In part because of Bil just being adorable, but there's something about the Doctor and the way the episodes are structured and directed that I find a lot more appealing than in the previous five seasons. I'll continue tomorrow with the other episodes, might even finish it tomorrow afternoon.

Right now half way series ten where:

The monks have taken over due to Bil consenting with them protecting earth.

I genuinely feel this season so far is by far the strongest of the Moffat era. In part because of Bil just being adorable, but there's something about the Doctor and the way the episodes are structured and directed that I find a lot more appealing than in the previous five seasons. I'll continue tomorrow with the other episodes, might even finish it tomorrow afternoon.
I'll be very interested to read your immediate response to this series arc. I have to avoid tainting your impressions, so I won't say another word.

I think S5, 8 and 10 are Moffat's strongest years. They were all, to different degrees, a reboot of what came before and you can tell Moffat definitely benefited from (sort of) from giving himself a new start each time. Compare that to S6, 7 or 9 where it often felt like more he was dragging out and sometimes rehashing what he had already done before.

I think S5, 8 and 10 are Moffat's strongest years. They were all, to different degrees, a reboot of what came before and you can tell Moffat definitely benefited from (sort of) from giving himself a new start each time. Compare that to S6, 7 or 9 where it often felt like more he was dragging out and sometimes rehashing what he had already done before.
for moff I'd say 5, 6 or 8 are his strongest seasons. 8 probably has the most good eps, but it also has some of the biggest stinkers for me so it's still a tossup.
It legitimately surprises me that people seem to like S8 but not S9. Series 8 just feels very scattershot and messy and, outside of Listen, consistently 'fine'.

I love S9 though. It just feels so thematically strong with a fantastically dark companion/Doctor relationship. It's up there with 5 + 4 for me.

It legitimately surprises me that people seem to like S8 but not S9. Series 8 just feels very scattershot and messy and, outside of Listen, consistently 'fine'.

I love S9 though. It just feels so thematically strong with a fantastically dark companion/Doctor relationship. It's up there with 5 + 4 for me.
I don't even like Listen lol

I thought S9 fumbled the ball with its dark companion/Doctor relationship; it was way in the background for much of the season, and suddenly accelerated forward for Face the Raven. Whereas in S8 it was a dominant part of nearly every episode.

How you describe S8 is how I think of 9: overall consistently fine, but a particularly strong core to it and only a couple standouts. S8 I feel is mostly standouts, but it's unfortunately sandwiched between a weak beginning and weak ending, and also features In the Forest of the Night, which I don't think is the disastrous pile of shit to ever grace television that some paint it as... but it's still bad and stupid.

Capaldi's run is the strongest 3 seasons of NuWho for me tbh lol
capaldi is probably my favorite actor to play the role but his run is too moffatty =/

I would LOVE to see him go back to a multidoctor episode with chibnail (or anyone else really) running

EPISODE 1: THE WOMAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Jamie Childs, guest starring Sharon D Clarke, Johnny Dixon and Samuel Oatley
We don’t get aliens in Sheffield. In a South Yorkshire city, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O’Brien are about to have their lives changed forever, as a mysterious woman, unable to remember her own name, falls from the night sky. Can they believe a word she says? And can she help solve the strange events taking place across the city?

EPISODE 2: THE GHOST MONUMENT
Written by Chris Chibnall, directed by Mark Tonderai, guest starring Shaun Dooley, Susan Lynch and Art Malik
Still reeling from their first encounter, can the Doctor and her new friends stay alive long enough, in a hostile alien environment , to solve the mystery of Desolation? And just who are Angstrom and Epzo?
No cyberworman ? We are off to a good start =D

I thought S9 fumbled the ball with its dark companion/Doctor relationship; it was way in the background for much of the season, and suddenly accelerated forward for Face the Raven. Whereas in S8 it was a dominant part of nearly every episode.

How you describe S8 is how I think of 9: overall consistently fine, but a particularly strong core to it and only a couple standouts. S8 I feel is mostly standouts, but it's unfortunately sandwiched between a weak beginning and weak ending, and also features In the Forest of the Night, which I don't think is the disastrous pile of shit to ever grace television that some paint it as... but it's still bad and stupid.
I know this sounds like a tedious excuse but I feel S9 becomes so much better on a rewatch when you go in knowing that a) the Doctor/Clara are the hybrid b) they are toxic together and c) Missy was the one that forced them together. Stuff like the Magician's Apprentice, where Missy is working with Clara, suddenly takes on whole new meanings.

Watching with the understanding that Clara doesn't particularly care if she dies and her and the Doctor are borderline dependent on other another colours all their interactions in a satisfyingly squicky way.
I definitely agree s2 is the second worst.
S2 is the worst modern series by an ever-increasing margin. It's probably one of the only series where the Doctor/companion pairing actively makes episodes worse for me.

I don't have the first couple of series super fresh in mind, but I think we can all agree that series 4 easily is the best so far. So many moments that stick out, not even mentioning having Donna in there.

S2 is the worst modern series by an ever-increasing margin. It's probably one of the only series where the Doctor/companion pairing actively makes episodes worse for me.
I mean it has School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet & The Satan Pit, so while overall it's not great, personally I wouldn't go that far

I mean it has School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet & The Satan Pit, so while overall it's not great, personally I wouldn't go that far
S2’s high points are not as high as other seasons (Girl in the Fireplace and Doomsday being particularly overrated), and its low points are the nadir of the modern show. I think it’s easily the worst modem series.

If they can stick with "I'm just a traveller" and not go full "GodDoc" I will be super pleased.

Also trailer looks like it's mostly from the first few eps and that really makes me happy.