Doctor Who ERA |OT| It's Almost Time... But Not Yet

I mean it has School Reunion, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet & The Satan Pit, so while overall it's not great, personally I wouldn't go that far
School Reunion and Girl in the Fireplace have never really done a lot for me. They're good but I don't find them as amazing as most. Satan Pit's great though, but that's the one shining light in a whole lot of mediocrity.

I went ahead and added the ABC audio to the proper widescreen Youtube version of the trailer, if anyone is interested:

EDIT: Never mind, link got busted up by the BBC!

DOUBLE EDIT: Replaced link with official ABC link. May only work for Australians.

Last edited:
Speaking of School Reunion, I rewatched that ep for the first time in maybe 10 years recently. I was curious if the classic Who nostalgia and references would be more impactful this time around now that I've actually seen classic Who, and a lot of Doctor/Sarah Jane Adventures. And it was... but surprisingly, the most emotionally heavy stuff was with K9. I had forgotten K9 was even in this episode, let alone that he sacrificed himself, but both the Doctor and Sarah's grief over it was really unexpectedly touching. And then it turned out he had a spare one lying around anyway. :lol Oh well.

I also watched Death of the Doctor, from The Sarah Jane Adventures. Although I haven't seen any SJA before, I did like this ep for the exact two reasons I wanted to watch it: seeing Matt Smith's Doctor (and written by RTD for the first/only time!) interact with Sarah and Jo, and especially the return of Jo to the show after 30-odd years.

I've mentioned before that I've never been a big fan of Jo, but I really liked her here. She's still basically the same person as she was in the 70s, but there's something about her that works so much better as a scatterbrain hippie grandma than a ditzy 20something. Outside of maybe The Green Death, this might be my favorite performance of Katy Manning's as Jo; she's just lovely and charming, and slips back into the role effortlessly. She did a particularly great job with these sporadic, quiet flashes of heart break throughout the episodes when she realizes that the Doctor had returned to visit Sarah multiple times but never came back for her once, culminating in a really beautiful conversation between Jo and Eleven about why he never returned for her. And then the coda where Sarah offers some exposition as to what happened to many of the other classic companions over the years was a nice bit of fanwank to end on.

And I'm completely up to date with current New Who, and man I will absolutely miss Capaldi. I didn't quite like his overly grumpy attitude at first, but I've really grown to like him and he really was terrific in the role.
He went out with a bang (no pun intended) and I really liked his conflict with the regeneration and actually just wanting things to end. And I absolutely loved the interaction with the original Doctor. Lovely grumpy ol' sexist bastard like I remember from what I've seen.

Also let's not forget the amazing: "And I'm very worried about my future." I was completely like:

But I guess it's time to start with Torchwood soon!

Speaking of School Reunion, I rewatched that ep for the first time in maybe 10 years recently. I was curious if the classic Who nostalgia and references would be more impactful this time around now that I've actually seen classic Who, and a lot of Doctor/Sarah Jane Adventures. And it was... but surprisingly, the most emotionally heavy stuff was with K9. I had forgotten K9 was even in this episode, let alone that he sacrificed himself, but both the Doctor and Sarah's grief over it was really unexpectedly touching. And then it turned out he had a spare one lying around anyway. :lol Oh well.

I also watched Death of the Doctor, from The Sarah Jane Adventures. Although I haven't seen any SJA before, I did like this ep for the exact two reasons I wanted to watch it: seeing Matt Smith's Doctor (and written by RTD for the first/only time!) interact with Sarah and Jo, and especially the return of Jo to the show after 30-odd years.

I've mentioned before that I've never been a big fan of Jo, but I really liked her here. She's still basically the same person as she was in the 70s, but there's something about her that works so much better as a scatterbrain hippie grandma than a ditzy 20something. Outside of maybe The Green Death, this might be my favorite performance of Katy Manning's as Jo; she's just lovely and charming, and slips back into the role effortlessly. She did a particularly great job with these sporadic, quiet flashes of heart break throughout the episodes when she realizes that the Doctor had returned to visit Sarah multiple times but never came back for her once, culminating in a really beautiful conversation between Jo and Eleven about why he never returned for her. And then the coda where Sarah offers some exposition as to what happened to many of the other classic companions over the years was a nice bit of fanwank to end on.
K9 is a good boy

Started with Torchwood a few hours ago and watch the first five episodes one after another. I'm really enjoying it, it feels very much what Angel (TV series) was to Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Still a fun, but more mature take on the same concept.
I do have a bit of a problem with the image quality on the blu-ray, it runs at 60Hz instead 50Hz and has a very weird and blurry nature when the camera moves, which I assume comes from this. But still, it doesn't take away from the series quality, just the blu-rays.
Very curious what the first season is exactly working towards, there doesn't seem to be a overarching story yet, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, the Torchwood blurays are all messed up in the UK. They still look good enough to the extend that I prefer them to the DVDs because of the picture upgrade, but it's annoying.

Also annoying: the lack of Sarah Jane Adventures series 3 on blu. Apparently they filmed that In HD so I really want that!

I've actually been watching SJA for the first time, I'm halfway through series 2 right now. It's surprisingly good! Clearly aimed at younger kids but it's fun and the character writing is strong. It has also been surprisingly dark at times, like that Trickster episode in series 1 was some proper drama. That could've been a Who episode!

And Elisabeth Sladen's just marvelous in it. I didn't grow up with Sarah Jane as a companion, or with her series, but I already know her passing is going to really hit me when I'm done watching SJA. I guess I should be grateful she got to experience this kind of resurgence in her career. All those new kids loving her! That's wonderful.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with the blu-rays, but I genuinely think that the conversion to 60Hz has something to do with it. Should've either gone proper 50Hz or 24. Oh well, doesn't detract from the enjoyability!
And was the Sarah Jane Adventures ever release in blu-ray? The entire series I mean. In London I only came across the season 1 and 2 DVD's, but decided against that since I doubt (guess that doubt was right) that was the whole thing and prefer to have it on blu-ray anyway.
Also had no idea that she had passed away. Just checked, 65 and from cancer, man that's rough...

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with the blu-rays, but I genuinely think that the conversion to 60Hz has something to do with it. Should've either gone proper 50Hz or 24. Oh well, doesn't detract from the enjoyability!
And was the Sarah Jane Adventures ever release in blu-ray? The entire series I mean. In London I only came across the season 1 and 2 DVD's, but decided against that since I doubt (guess that doubt was right) that was the whole thing and prefer to have it on blu-ray anyway.
Also had no idea that she had passed away. Just checked, 65 and from cancer, man that's rough...
You're correct, Torchwood should have been 50Hz in territories that support that but they still screwed with it for the bluray release. It shouldn't have happened in the UK but it did. Apparently some digital HD release was fine though? iTunes? Oh well. It still looks good.

Then you have the American season, Miracle Day, and there the US release appears to be the good one, with the UK release having issues? I only own the UK blurays from the complete set though. Miracle Day isn't all that good so I haven't really looked into it.

SJA series 4 and 5 were the only ones released on blu. But like I said apparently they started filming in HD with 3 so the lack of a HD release with that one rather bothers me. Series 1 and 2 were definitely filmed in SD only, so the DVDs are fine. And the only complete SJA set out there is DVD only, so you would have done the correct thing by buying series 1 and 2 on DVD. I had to buy them all separately. The cover art is horrible, lol

Yeah. And she passed away in the middle of series 5's production so they only got to film the first half. I imagine that's going to be quite noticeable, I'm not expecting much of an ending... :(

Oh well, maybe the BBC will some day fix the blu-rays with a future rerelease, but we'll see. And seriously, midseason? That's terrible, curious if they have a special tribute in her memory on the season disc, that'd be really nice to see.

Oh well, maybe the BBC will some day fix the blu-rays with a future rerelease, but we'll see. And seriously, midseason? That's terrible, curious if they have a special tribute in her memory on the season disc, that'd be really nice to see.
Ha, probably not happening, they should have fixed them years ago. There are some rather weird issues with Doctor Who releases if you really dig into i that have never been fixed either. Classic Who seems to get fixed more often, I'm guessing the fans are more vocal there. But modern? Series 5 on blu has audio issues, Day of the Doctor also suffers from a bad 50Hz conversion in the UK unless you have replacement discs of the 50th set (I do!) but that's out of print and they never bothered to fix the cheaper one. They also used unfinished effects in one of the series 9 episodes compared to the broadcasted version, I can't believe they never replaced that one.

On the other hand a lot of those are easy to ignore if you aren't looking too closely, so you know, like Torchwood it's manageable stuff. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Wasn't Day of the Doctor weird because it was in 3D? Not that I have any interest in ever seeing that one in 3D, but I'm still unsure if I should get the separate release or the boxset. I prefer the box, but it's rather expensive these days.
Well, some day!

Wasn't Day of the Doctor weird because it was in 3D? Not that I have any interest in ever seeing that one in 3D, but I'm still unsure if I should get the separate release or the boxset. I prefer the box, but it's rather expensive these days.
Well, some day!
The separate release includes it in both 2D and 3D. The 3D version used a different (worse) framerate. Now it's supposed to be like that, but in that release they also sped up the 2D version despite there being no need for that. So they needlessly ended up having the same running time.

That 50th set only included a 2D copy of Day of the Doctor. BUT originally they used the same sped up version used in the separate release. That was even more silly there, so after some complaints they issued replacement discs to people who mailed the BBC. I have one of those so now it's fixed for me. It looks and sounds far superior.

However that set is now out of print and chances are it won't include the fixed disc if you buy it used. Could be that the BBC still has replacement discs to send though. I've asked them about years old releases in the past and they were able to help me out without any fuss.

The same set got reprinted in Australia though, and they included the fixed disc there. Same content, correct speed. It should still be quite a bit cheaper too, so I recommend people import the reprinted AU release if they're still looking for a copy of the 50th set. It's probably the most convenient way at this point, I believe it should still be available.

So yeah, I recommend the box. People moaned about it at the time but I think it ended up being worth the money. Not just for the potentially fixed discs, it also includes bluray versions of An Adventure in Space and Time and 5ish Doctors Reboot which are highly recommended. Some other neat exclusive extras too.

I don't think I've heard of the replacement 50th disc before, might have to check into that. Did anyone get anywhere with the replacements for the recent Tom Baker set?
They were sending out bad discs by mistake so the replacements got delayed again. Right now they're saying 3 - 4 weeks.

The same set got reprinted in Australia though, and they included the fixed disc there. Same content, correct speed. It should still be quite a bit cheaper too, so I recommend people import the reprinted AU release if they're still looking for a copy of the 50th set. It's probably the most convenient way at this point, I believe it should still be available.

So yeah, I recommend the box. People moaned about it at the time but I think it ended up being worth the money. Not just for the potentially fixed discs, it also includes bluray versions of An Adventure in Space and Time and 5ish Doctors Reboot which are highly recommended. Some other neat exclusive extras too.
Oh seriously? Outside of the packaging, the set is identical? Because if so I'll absolutely get this one, it's like €50 on ebay, which is a pretty good catch for the set compared to the UK prices that are at least double used.

I don't think I've heard of the replacement 50th disc before, might have to check into that. Did anyone get anywhere with the replacements for the recent Tom Baker set?
From what I've read on blu-ray.com the BBC ended up sending the exact same faulty discs to people. Also someone said the entire set might get a reprint, which I hope since I missed the original release.

Oh seriously? Outside of the packaging, the set is identical? Because if so I'll absolutely get this one, it's like €50 on ebay, which is a pretty good catch for the set compared to the UK prices that are at least double used.
Seriously, they are identical to the UK release outside of the packaging.

What I'm not 100% sure about is how to identify the version with the corrected disc though. Apparently you'd want the 2016 reprint, not the original 2014 release. But you can't tell what you'll get from the ebay listings and the 2016 one JB Hi-Fi is selling seems to be a DVD set instead of blu. :/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...e-50th-anniversary-collectors-edition/616927/

versus the older one:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...e-50th-anniversary-collectors-edition/616931/

But again, that says it's a DVD set so either I'm misinformed or they just lump them all together in the bluray listing to make things confusing. Same thing on ebay I imagine.

edit: It seems to exist? it's confusing. https://shop.abc.net.au/dr-who-50th-anniversary-collectors-edition-4bluray

Seems like the reprint leaves the "collector's" bit out of the packaging?

Or you get the expensive UK release, which will undoubtedly include an uncorrected disc. But then you'd have easy access to the BBC's replacement disc program. If they still have discs that is.

That's all assuming you care about the corrected disc of course. If you don't the Australian release is an easy recommendation. Identical to the unfixed UK release at worst, basically.

edit 2: that abc.net listing has the exact same ISBN number as JB's bluray page. So who the fuck knows what you're gonna get, haha.

I mean I'm inclined to believe they're all reprints anyway since they're still available, same with the ones of ebay. Just don't quote me on that!

Last edited:
I'll take the risk on the blu-ray's, worst is I get a 60Hz/24Hz instead of 50Hz. Disappointing, but it won't kill me (I can always convert it to a different format myself).
I'll keep a look out non the less. I can't order it until at least the end of October, so I have enough time to do my own investigating in the mean time.
But terrific start, I had no idea about the box still being a thing outside the UK, so many thanks again!

I'm glad I could point you in the right direction. Australia's always a good region to keep your eye on for OOP Doctor Who sets. The Tom Baker one for example: I don't know if it's still available now but I know it has been the cheaper option for quite a while after the UK set sold out.

And if you do get a 60Hz set I might be able to help you out. Maybe. I actually have a spare UK DotD disc lying around. A bad one mind you, but maybe it could be used for the UK replacement program if that's still running?

In other news, art from the next Tenth Doctor Big Finish set has been found on Big Finish's website, before quickly being pulled.

The upcoming set starts David Tennant, Catherine Tate and Bernard Cribbins.

It's going to be commercial-free on BBC America for at least the first episode, yes?
Have the BBC America episodes been hacked up/sped up to fit in an hour with breaks in the last couple seasons or is it the same as what airs in the UK with commercials dropped in for the premiere? I've finally got BBC America on my cable plan.

These are provisional schedules, subject to change, but Doctor Who’s currently down for 6:45-7:50 on Sunday 7th, sandwiched between Countryfile and Strictly.

Presumably this is with a view to a 7:00 start when the series goes back to 50 minute episodes.

Last edited: