Doctor Who ERA |OT| It's Almost Time... But Not Yet

Glad to see she's having as much with this as Capaldi did.
All of the modern Doctors have really been such gracious ambassadors for the franchise and good with fans.

Actually, most of the Doctors period have been really good with fans. Maybe Tom was a bit standoff-ish about it during his heyday, though I don't know that for sure.

Somehow the marathon went from 9th Doctor episodes to 12th Doctor episodes overnight.
Maybe it's a marathon of northern and Scottish Doctors, to transition right into Jodie's accent.

All of the modern Doctors have really been such gracious ambassadors for the franchise and good with fans.

Actually, most of the Doctors period have been really good with fans. Maybe Tom was a bit standoff-ish about it during his heyday, though I don't know that for sure.
Even Chris seems to be softening a bit.

Maybe it's a marathon of northern and Scottish Doctors, to transition right into Jodie's accent.
From all accounts Tom Baker was a model Doctor off screen. He would make sure he wouldn't smoke in front of kids because he was a role model, that sort of thing. Peter Davison on the other hand could be grumpy in public after he left the role (he's apparently very shy away from cameras). Baker was really only standoffish with the other Doctors for a while.

We have confirmation- Doctor Who starts at 18:45 BST.

Sandwiched between Countryfile and the Strictly results, with the ITV local news and 5 Gold Rings as competition.

That's the best possible slot the show could have had, hands-down.

I may be in Germany for the next 3 weeks. Can I watch this series via BBC Player?

Also there's a Doctor Who comics bundle, any of these are worth it?
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-comics-2018

If you're asking if you can watch iPlayer in Germany, then no, you can't (without a VPN connection). I don't think any of the cablecos carry BBC1.

simulcast in the US too
Huh, thought it might have gone out on Sunday evening in the US too. Simulcast is good though, less whining in here.

Ooooh, thanks for that. I've been meaning to check the comics out and you can't beat that price, plus I'm supporting charity!

And I'm a sucker for exclusive content. >_>
The 3 backgrounds are nice IMO.
I decided to get the bundle and the short First Doctor comic was really sweet.

I may be in Germany for the next 3 weeks. Can I watch this series via BBC Player?
I would imagine not unless you've got a VPN that gets around the region lock, and iPlayer's protection is good enough that those I've experimented with in France haven't worked.

Also there's a Doctor Who comics bundle, any of these are worth it?
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-comics-2018
Y'know, I *really* would like "Enhanced Humble" - that is, something like Enhanced Steam, which tells me *what* I already own. There's frequently repeats in these and it's a pain to cross-reference.

(Actually, going a bit further, a single central inventory that draws from all your online digital stores would be nice, too)

i DECided to get the bundle and read through the first 10th Doctor book and maaaaaan
I miss 10.

The art in Vol. 1 of 9th Doctor is....aiming to look to realistic and feels off putting to me :X

if you bought the season pass or bought individual episodes from iTunes/ Google on a UK account, you'd be able to stream them/ DL them outside of the UK. They'd normally be available by about 1am UK time the morning after they broadcast in Britain.

Hollywood Reporter has a bit about the new version of the theme tune
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ings-learned-season-11-world-premiere-1147081

"Guests at the premiere were also treated to an extended version of the Doctor Who theme, a staple of the show since its beginnings in 1963, arranged by another newcomer, Segun Akinola. The latest version of the iconic theme is more stripped-down compared with the orchestra-laden take in recent years from composer Murray Gold. It uses samples from the original Delia Derbyshire arrangement while upping the bass."

Apart from the archive reprints of the IDW stories, the only full repeats in that bundle are Ten and Eleven volume 1 and 2 and Twelve volume 1. The previous bundle had the first issues of I think Four and Eight and maybe Nine, then a couple more issues of Twelve, but there's more full volumes of them here.

As someone that's bought both the previous IDW and Titan bundles there's 14 volumes there that I don't already have which is pretty good for the price.

Hollywood Reporter has a bit about the new version of the theme tune
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ings-learned-season-11-world-premiere-1147081

"Guests at the premiere were also treated to an extended version of the Doctor Who theme, a staple of the show since its beginnings in 1963, arranged by another newcomer, Segun Akinola. The latest version of the iconic theme is more stripped-down compared with the orchestra-laden take in recent years from composer Murray Gold. It uses samples from the original Delia Derbyshire arrangement while upping the bass."
Ooh, this sounds interesting. Keen to hear it

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ttaker-the-woman-who-fell-to-earth-first-look

"New series composer Segun Akinola brings a more urgent electronic-tinged soundtrack to the show than the generally lush Murray Gold orchestrations that have accompanied Doctor Who since it was revived in 2005. He has also used original elements from Delia Derbyshire’s 1963 version of the theme to create a new version; but with the episode opening in an unconventional fashion, Chibnall says it won’t be until the second episode that fans get to see the show’s new opening titles and hear the theme ‘in situ’."

hmmm. was really looking forward to seeing the new titles too.

I just received some replacement Tom Baker Blu-rays - totally naked bundled together in bubble wrap! What happened to sending replacement discs in a protective l'il basic jewel case?!?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ttaker-the-woman-who-fell-to-earth-first-look

"New series composer Segun Akinola brings a more urgent electronic-tinged soundtrack to the show than the generally lush Murray Gold orchestrations that have accompanied Doctor Who since it was revived in 2005. He has also used original elements from Delia Derbyshire’s 1963 version of the theme to create a new version; but with the episode opening in an unconventional fashion, Chibnall says it won’t be until the second episode that fans get to see the show’s new opening titles and hear the theme ‘in situ’."

hmmm. was really looking forward to seeing the new titles too.
KEFF?
KEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I just received some replacement Tom Baker Blu-rays - totally naked bundled together in bubble wrap! What happened to sending replacement discs in a protective l'il basic jewel case?!?
Aunties gotta eat

my take- there's no traditional title sequence at the start of the first episode, maybe it starts like a movie. We'll probably hear the new version of the tune over the end credits, with some BBC continuity twat rabbiting on about some other show. Then from ep 2, we see the full version- assuming it hasn't leaked beforehand. I really wouldn't be surprised if there's some release of the title sequence ahead of time but who the fuck knows?

Finished the first season of Torchwood, really enjoyed it even with the not so well done CG. First episode of season 2 was terrific for one reason, Spike from Buffy basically being Spike from Buffy and I love it. Man I hope they guy comes back.

Just caught up with all the news from recent months - is it me, or have they played the "we retooled the show to make it more appealing to new viewers" card every series since, like series 7?

Just caught up with all the news from recent months - is it me, or have they played the "we retooled the show to make it more appealing to new viewers" card every series since, like series 7?
The funny thing was when they did that with S10 when we already knew Capaldi was leaving. Moffat's been saying "every episode can be someone's episode 1" on every press tour, pretty much.

Still, new Doctor with a new production team is always a good jumping on point. What worries me is them saying things along the line of "you could miss ep2 and come back with ep5 and still enjoy it."
It's not like you couldn't skip some episodes over the years, but I don't consider it a plus for a show to not demand the minimum amount of just keeping up with the show.

The funny thing was when they did that with S10 when we already knew Capaldi was leaving. Moffat's been saying "every episode can be someone's episode 1" on every press tour, pretty much.

Still, new Doctor with a new production team is always a good jumping on point. What worries me is them saying things along the line of "you could miss ep2 and come back with ep5 and still enjoy it."
It's not like you couldn't skip some episodes over the years, but I don't consider it a plus for a show to not demand the minimum amount of just keeping up with the show.
Yeah, it just strikes me as very behind the times. We're in an era of on-demand, heavily serialised shows, and the BBC wants to make TNG...

I thought series 10 was a pretty good starting point series too. Didn't do much though, I don't think they ever managed to market it that way.

Moffat clearly wanted to push that tho

Last edited:
I feel like they say it every few years to hit home this isn't serialized as much as other shows and that long arcs (The Ponds) last a season or two.

But I haven't seen a push like this since season 5 when Moffat/Smith started.

I mean, it's a 55 year old show with the 13th version of the same main character. That's not immediately appealing to the majority of people. I feel like Doctor Who more than most shows is just ingrained in culture where it seems like a never-ending thing that, from the outside, isn't easy to jump in to. Even within fandom, people recommend new people start with a new Doctor, some say a new companion, some say a new showrunner, some say just chose a random episode.

Plus it's a slightly backhanded way of saying "Hey, did you not like that last Doctor/companion/series/episode? Well try this one!"

I've grown up with Doctor Who, so it's hard to see the show from outside. I think there are some classic episodes that work as great SF, among which I'd include Moffat's Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, and Listen, and Davies' masterpiece, Midnight. Series 10 was perhaps the easiest run of episodes to get into to date. I've high hopes that the show will become even more accessible in Series 11. I've no idea how Chris will achieve that, and that's half the fun.

Yeah, it just strikes me as very behind the times. We're in an era of on-demand, heavily serialised shows, and the BBC wants to make TNG...
This is quite funny to read seeing as DW is far more episodic in nature anyway. Even if you tried to make it more heavily serialised(which Moffat tried with series 5 & 6, before backing off), you’d only wind up with a show that’s at war with its own premise of the TARDIS being able to go anywhere, anytime with anyone.

Besides, in the past half decade we’ve had a resurgence in anthology shows such as Black Mirror, etc. Doctor Who looks way less out of place then it did when shows like Lost, Mad Men or Breaking Bad still ruled the roost.

Looking at BBCA's schedule to see what's up with their marathon schedule, and it's wild. They're running The Christmas Invasion... 7 times? And half of Tuesday is The End of Time over and over and over.

Ah, long time no see! I was wondering when this would crop up again.

(For those who aren't aware, this is the clip that was leaked ages ago. Possibly a slightly different cut - I don't have my old version to compare it with, and there were some bits there that I didn't remember - but broadly the same content)

Does look like something we saw leaked over the summer. I love the use of the South Yorkshire accents. In England, tiny nuances of dialect can, in real life, tell you a lot about where somebody comes from. I can distinguish the location where a person learned English as a child in my own region to a precision of about three miles.

Does look like something we saw leaked over the summer. I love the use of the South Yorkshire accents. In England, tiny nuances of dialect can, in real life, tell you a lot about where somebody comes from. I can distinguish the location where a person learned English as a child in my own region to a precision of about three miles.
Aye good to hear Jodie’s West/Best Yorkshire accent. I hope she has the opportunity to say ‘put wood in t’ ol’.

Finished with Torchwood season 2, really enjoyed it but it was a bit shaky at points, but overall really solid. The ending was terrific and I hadn't expected them going so far. Now about 40 minutes into Children of Earth and the premise is terrifying, I can't wait to see how it goes.