Dragon Ball Super |OT5| A new ERA of Dragon Ball

Buu saga should have ended when Satan befriended Buu. Everyone is trying to find the most effective way to murder Buu when all they had to do was talk to him. Buu was the most "inhuman" of the major villains they've faced and yet the only one capable of being talked down. It's great.

Power levels, that means nothing and in a lot of ways hasn't ever. Kami was literally god tier. Bobo was something that gave Goku a work out. So did the wonder cat. Once Goku needed the help of Piccolo to beat Raditz. Once Vegeta was getting smacked around by the Ginyu Squad and was beaten around by Frizea's two main lackeys. Everyone was weaker than Cell. Except Gohan once he let go. Then Buu comes and it's part luck and part gotten much stronger that he gets beat. Want recent times, look at the new Saiyans, they literally went from not knowing about Super Saiyan to going to Super Saiyan 2 levels in amazing speed. Then we get things like Kelfa which is stupidly strong. Even the Gods of Destruction will be just another Kami. Zenoh will even get beaten because that's how things go, part of the trope.

What was the ultimate is always beaten. Always.

Power levels, that means nothing and in a lot of ways hasn't ever. Kami was literally god tier. Bobo was something that gave Goku a work out. So did the wonder cat. Once Goku needed the help of Piccolo to beat Raditz. Once Vegeta was getting smacked around by the Ginyu Squad and was beaten around by Frizea's two main lackeys. Everyone was weaker than Cell. Except Gohan once he let go. Then Buu comes and it's part luck and part gotten much stronger that he gets beat. Want recent times, look at the new Saiyans, they literally went from not knowing about Super Saiyan to going to Super Saiyan 2 levels in amazing speed. Then we get things like Kelfa which is stupidly strong. Even the Gods of Destruction will be just another Kami. Zenoh will even get beaten because that's how things go, part of the trope.

What was the ultimate is always beaten. Always.
That isn't what 'power levels' is. Power level is just random numbers created to tell us who is stronger than who.

Alright, re-watch check in--

The Ginyu Force has been defeated, Piccolo's back, Vegeta and Dende have been killed and Goku and Freeze are just about mid-way through their battle. Most recently, Freeze was fighting Goku without the use of his hands.

• This fight between Goku and Freeza is already starting to feel a little drawn out and i'm not even half-way through it yet. I'm assuming this is just a reality of trying to adapt source material with very little buffer room.
  • It's kinda hard to feel bad for Vegeta's death. Up till now, he's been nothing but a monster. That said, his dying words to Goku about their heritage and Freeza's extinction of the Saiyan race was pretty compelling to watch.
    • I forgot to say this in my earlier recap, but I LOVE when they do this kind of flashback storytelling. One of my all-time favorites is the episode where Muten Roshi details how Piccolo Daimao's reign was brought to an end by his master Mutaito.
  • The Ginyu Force stuff wasn't as fun as I remembered. Vegeta's desperate attack on Reacoom was pretty amazing to watch. Of course it doesn't work but I still love how no-nonese he is during this period. He doesn't hesitate to off Reacoom, Guld and Butta. He knows the situation he's in and he's not going to take any chances.
  • I'm surprised they didn't draw out the fight with Gurd. He's got a number of abilities that could've been introduced one episode at a time.

• It's obvious that they have no idea what to do with Bulma at this moment. Which is odd because they repeatedly check in on her to repeat the same gag over and over. Ginyu has just taken her body so hopefully things'll get a little more interesting.

• Piccolo is still the coolest guy around. His dialogue, attitude and wardrobe just ooze this. His return was much needed.

• Freeza's multiple forms are fine. The second form just looks like a larger version of his first. The third one is pretty freaky and the transformation into it is pretty fucked up. Final form Freeze is simple iconic. The perfect contrast for the more rugged Saiyan designs.
  • Freeza's has now claimed the mantle as this arc's best character. He's so perfectly demeaning and arrogant. Ryusei Nakao is Nozawa-level perfect in terms of casting and performance.

Hey all!

I've undertaken the seemingly unending task of re-watching every episode of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z for the first time in like 8-9 years.

I finished the original Dragon Ball series about a month ago and I was genuinely sad when there wasn't anything left. The show ending with that odd filler arc about Goku and Chi Chi saving Gyumao is an odd choice to say the least. But whatever, the show is amazing and I wish we'd get more modern day content that was based on Goku's original adventures.

I'm now watching DBZ and i've only just gotten to the episode where Freeze calls in The Ginyu Force. I still think the Saiyan Arc is this show's best "season" start-to-finish. The sense of dread is palpable, watching Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chaozu and Piccolo get killed one-by-one is depressing especially for viewers who knows what's coming next. Gohan, Kuririn, Goku AND Yajirobe defeat of Vegeta is so fucking good. The story does the perfect job of showing just how much it takes to defeat a monster like Vegeta.

Other random thoughts--
  • I'm happy at how much screen time Kuririn gets in Dragon Ball Z. I always remembered him as having a much larger role in Dragon Ball than he actually has.
  • No surprise, Piccolo and Gohan are the best character up to this point. Their dynamic is probably my favorite through line throughout the show.
  • Up to this point, the filler isn't too bad. There's some genuinely good stuff their too. The episode where Gohan is trapped in the cave with that robot is real good. I hadn't watched it in YEARS. I'm kinda dreading the Garlic Jr. arc.

• Nozawa is treasure. Having just watched the original series, I have lil' Goku's voice fresh in my mind Dragon Ball. it's so much fun to compare that to her performance as 4/5 year-old Gohan.

• I know a lot of people prefer Kai but I just prefer to watch the show in tact with all the original actors and their original performances.

• Going back to the original series, one of the best moments in the entire series is Goku's reunion with his grandpa. It's the only time he's ever had THAT kind of emotional response. It gets me every damn time.

The Ginyu Force has been defeated, Piccolo's back, Vegeta and Dende have been killed and Goku and Freeze are just about mid-way through their battle. Most recently, Freeze was fighting Goku without the use of his hands.

• This fight between Goku and Freeza is already starting to feel a little drawn out and i'm not even half-way through it yet. I'm assuming this is just a reality of trying to adapt source material with very little buffer room.
  • It's kinda hard to feel bad for Vegeta's death. Up till now, he's been nothing but a monster. That said, his dying words to Goku about their heritage and Freeza's extinction of the Saiyan race was pretty compelling to watch.
    • I forgot to say this in my earlier recap, but I LOVE when they do this kind of flashback storytelling. One of my all-time favorites is the episode where Muten Roshi details how Piccolo Daimao's reign was brought to an end by his master Mutaito.
  • The Ginyu Force stuff wasn't as fun as I remembered. Vegeta's desperate attack on Reacoom was pretty amazing to watch. Of course it doesn't work but I still love how no-nonese he is during this period. He doesn't hesitate to off Reacoom, Guld and Butta. He knows the situation he's in and he's not going to take any chances.
  • I'm surprised they didn't draw out the fight with Gurd. He's got a number of abilities that could've been introduced one episode at a time.

• It's obvious that they have no idea what to do with Bulma at this moment. Which is odd because they repeatedly check in on her to repeat the same gag over and over. Ginyu has just taken her body so hopefully things'll get a little more interesting.

• Piccolo is still the coolest guy around. His dialogue, attitude and wardrobe just ooze this. His return was much needed.

• Freeza's multiple forms are fine. The second form just looks like a larger version of his first. The third one is pretty freaky and the transformation into it is pretty fucked up. Final form Freeze is simple iconic. The perfect contrast for the more rugged Saiyan designs.
  • Freeza's has now claimed the mantle as this arc's best character. He's so perfectly demeaning and arrogant. Ryusei Nakao is Nozawa-level perfect in terms of casting and performance.
Thanks for sharing dude. I love reading impressions like these. The cast is perfect in DB/DBZ but if i had to pick a personal favorite, it would have to be Ryusei Nakao. I can't imagine a better fit for Freeza.

Thanks for sharing dude. I love reading impressions like these. The cast is perfect in DB/DBZ but if i had to pick a personal favorite, it would have to be Ryusei Nakao. I can't imagine a better fit for Freeza.
It's my pleasure. Lol, I'm going through so much Dragon Ball right now that this is some what cathartic.

I totally agree, Ryusei IS Freeza. It's hard to hear anyone else's voice when I imagine Freeza. I think he might be my favorite too. You can tell how delighted he is to play Freeza again in Dragon Ball Super.

It was one-sided but Recoome’s flamboyant persona and Vegeta’s desperation made that a great fight.

Vegeta I feel was the best character on Namek but I agree you can’t feel bad for his death too much. I actually personally would have preferred he stayed dead after Namek

It was one-sided but Recoome’s flamboyant persona and Vegeta’s desperation made that a great fight.

Vegeta I feel was the best character on Namek but I agree you can’t feel bad for his death too much. I actually personally would have preferred he stayed dead after Namek
I think if the series had ended with Freeza then yes, he should’ve stayed dead.

I agree, Vegeta is one of the highlights of this arc. I dunno if it was Toriyama or his editor's decision to keep him around after the Saiyan arc, but whoever did made the right call. As much as I love them, I don't think Gohan, Kuririn and Bulma could've carried this story by themselves.

Reacoom is such a bastard, man. He's so frustratingly demeaning towards them. Dude straight up snaps Gohan's neck. Like with Nappa, Goku arriving to kick the shit out of Reacoom is super satisfying.

There's something about the big guys in Dragon Ball that lend themselves to a different level of brutality. Unless i'm forgetting someone, Nappa, Reacoom and Spopovitch might be the most brutal fighters in the entire series.

And rob us for the glory that was cocky, pointing at himself Vegeta during the Android saga? How dare you?

We should have a poll

Will the
fusion win for the first time,

Or will gogeta dominate broly, but then unfuse before the killing blow

Like fusion has always done...

I really don't want the latter, we've seen it a million times

Whatever happens I'm willing I'm 98% sure that
Broly survives this movie and that's entirely because of this design they released.

It's his new Freeza Force outfit, not his old one, and it's all battle damaged and his collar is gone. I don't think Broly will remain a villain either, though, what with them talking about tragedy having a big role in this movie and saying that they've added more to Broly's character, this feels to me that they are setting him up to potentially be a main cast member or at least recurring.

Or maybe
fusion time runs out but Goku and Vegeta expect it and make the best of it
This immediately made me think of Gogeta having Broly on the ropes and at some point Broly throws a punch that looks like it's going to connect and Gogeta defuses with Goku and Vegeta being on opposite sides of the punch and instead of acting shocked they go right into teaming up against Broly like it was planned all along.

With LatAm's insulting treatment of Limit Break X Survivor. I can't say anything about the English dub ever again
The studios that handle the openings and endings are different from those who handle an episode's dialogue and direction, they have nothing to do with each other. Heck Adrian Barba commented he made an audition for it so the blame's on Toei iirc. This isn't really the same situation at all.

So I've got a quick question.

Aside from the Androids, Saiyans and Piccolo.

Who in the cast could defeat Namek saga Frieza?

EDIT:

Could Goten and Trunks defeat any of the Androids or Cell?

Last edited: