Dragon Ball Super |OT5| A new ERA of Dragon Ball

script is really good as well. Way less dry than a direct translation, as any good localization should be.

But this boring circular argument that comes up every week isn't gonna go anywhere or convince anyone, so I ain't bothering.

script is really good as well. Way less dry than a direct translation, as any good localization should be.
Localization is fine when done right, but this is no Ace Attorney we're talking about where they had to completely rewrite characters, locations and names, these script changes, little by little, start molding characters into something they were never intended to be. I grew up with the Latam dub so the English dub isn't my main way to consume Dragon Ball (Japanese version is now, thanks to Super), but I'm gonna try to be on the lookout about what stuff the Latam dub changes and keeps intact, hopefully they'll do a much better job than the English dub.

You can have a good localization withouth changing how characters act.

They took Gohan being serious about his responsibilities, and changed it into.. LOL Goku bad dad..
But you guys clearly don't care if characters don't act like the way they should.

But you're right.. this circular argument comes up a lot... have fun with t̶e̶a̶m̶4̶s̶t̶a̶r̶ the english dub.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Hard to praise the dub when they're creating the same issue Z had where you've effectively got two different versions of the same show so getting everyone on the same page is becoming difficult when there's any kind of discussion. I've already run into it a few times because of the changes Funimation made. It's not fun or endearing.

But this boring circular argument that comes up every week isn't gonna go anywhere or convince anyone, so I ain't bothering.
Any good localization wouldn't completely change the meaning of lines and insert jokes where there were none.
I mean, keep cherrypicking lines to say the whole dub is bad. It doesn't show your bias on your sleeve or anything!
Is it really cherry picking if this shit happens every episode?

I don't see a problem with the middle one, but yea the rest sucks.

The worst part imo is Goku's "you know. teambuildin?!?" ugh.
The problem with the middle one is that in Japanese Goku is just excited to fight some more since he wasn't satisfied with Bergamo, in the dub he's instead insulting Toppo saying that he doesn't seem strong.

I don't even watch the goddamn dub. I bet some of you who are complaining aren't either. Some people think it's good to take some liberties, some people think it isn't. I frankly do not care.

Constant pissing contests around here about who is right in this however are annoying, and I don't see the people who like the dub constantly bringing up shit about how the dub does it better. Well, mainly, I bet it has happened before.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised people defend the English dub.

After all people defend the fucking manga.
The funny thing here is I'm seeing the people who moan when characters and their portrayal are changed in the manga defending and writing off these changes in the English dub.

Oh dear.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
That line is straight up out of character

But hey at least it's in character with TFS Gohan
Not only that but they're already fucking with the Goku/Gohan dynamic that travels through the arc. I'm really weary about episode 90 now if they've done this right out the gate...

the dub changes are so insignificant that i have a hard time even fathoming how some of yall even care about this

i was expecting some major ass changes, but all i got was nothing

uh not really no, i always interpreted that line to mean that Champa doesn't understand Goku himself
He's literally talking about Goku's power.

the dub changes are so insignificant that i have a hard time even fathoming how some of yall even care about this

i was expecting some major ass changes, but all i got was nothing
They are changing the characterization of certain characters, that's significant.
The Goku and Gohan relationship that persists throughout the entire arc is already off to a poor start by changing Gohan from being polite to his father, wanting to live up to his expectations, to him being snarky.
Then you have Goku's fight with Toppo starting off on Goku insulting Toppo when he didn't in the original.