Dragon Quest 11: Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| Classic Combat Camera is Crucial

End of Act 2 questions
So I'm at the Fortress of Fear, is there a save point or campsite anywhere in the castle at all? Besides the one at the entrance. I'm on the 4th floor and would greatly appreciate one soon lol.

End of Act 2 questions
So I'm at the Fortress of Fear, is there a save point or campsite anywhere in the castle at all? Besides the one at the entrance. I'm on the 4th floor and would greatly appreciate one soon lol.
There aren't any.

Edit: At the main hall you can shortcut to 4th floor by using dragon. This makes the entrance save point enough to go back & forth.

Here are my thoughts..
This assumes you've beaten DQ3. Those are references indicating DQ11 is prequel of DQ3.

- The hero's title "Erdrick" originally was introduced at DQ1 saying the title points to the hero existed ages ago (which really is DQ3). However at the DQ3 the title seems to have existed at the land of Alefgard for eons ago already as well. DQ11 finally showed the origin.
- At the very end of true ending, it shows the whole DQ11 storyline has been compiled to a book, and after lady finishes reading the thing she wakes up a hero of DQ3.
Yeah. I got the ending. My question is the premise of the DQXI. It seems within the frame of the story that Erdwin and Serenica are from the past, with the DQXI Hero being a reincarnation of the DQIII Hero. How is that cleared up?

We know a new timeline was created when the DQXI stopped Mordegon, but that's still a forward timeline.

There aren't any.

Edit: At the main hall you can shortcut to 4th floor by using dragon. This makes the entrance save point enough to go back & forth.
Ah okay
Dragon? I don't think I've reached the point where the shortcut becomes available. I'm still trying to unlock the platforms to cross that big gap on the fourth floor.

Question.

What is a good level to be at to defeat Mordegan? All of my characters are level 50/51 and are mowing through enemies with ease. Also, do sidequests disappear cause I noticed a few of the sidequests in Act 1 disappeared when I started Act 2.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Question.

What is a good level to be at to defeat Mordegan? All of my characters are level 50/51 and are mowing through enemies with ease. Also, do sidequests disappear cause I noticed a few of the sidequests in Act 1 disappeared when I started Act 2.
You're about 10 levels higher than I was.

Progress check: I just finished collecting
the six orbs
. About how far in am I? Right around 24 hours right now but I feel like I've been moving through everything pretty fast, always making progress and avoiding most enemy encounters.

Does the rest of the game have a bunch of backtracking? Pure speculation on my part - I went into this blind - but it seems like the game couldn't possibly keep up the pace of introducing new towns/areas that it has for much longer. I don't really want details about what's left, just a general idea of whether or not the best is yet to come, or if I'm going to start seeing a bunch of recycled locations.

This is my first Dragon Quest game and I am loving it so far. I wasn't expecting the level of freedom I've been given (after a certain point anyway) or the affection I'd feel for these characters. The music mod is a genuine game-changer, and ever since I started using it I've enjoyed every moment of this without any reservations. Well, the repetition of the music is still a problem, and for awhile I felt like the tone was a bit inconsistent, but some recent developments have sort of changed my mind about that.

Progress check: I just finished collecting
the six orbs
. About how far in am I? Right around 24 hours right now but I feel like I've been moving through everything pretty fast, always making progress and avoiding most enemy encounters.

Does the rest of the game have a bunch of backtracking? Pure speculation on my part - I went into this blind - but it seems like the game couldn't possibly keep up the pace of introducing new towns/areas that it has for much longer. I don't really want details about what's left, just a general idea of whether or not the best is yet to come, or if I'm going to start seeing a bunch of recycled locations.

This is my first Dragon Quest game and I am loving it so far. I wasn't expecting the level of freedom I've been given (after a certain point anyway) or the affection I'd feel for these characters. The music mod is a genuine game-changer, and ever since I started using it I've enjoyed every moment of this without any reservations. Well, the repetition of the music is still a problem, and for awhile I felt like the tone was a bit inconsistent, but some recent developments have sort of changed my mind about that.
You're at the point that's considered the end of Act 1. Act 2 is the second half of the game, Act 3 is the postgame. So you're around half way there. And yes, the rest of the game does have you revisting previous locales with a few new ones thrown in.

Man Act 2 is a pretty big downgrade compared to the first. The whole premise just sucks and almost feels like padding. The only thing that really carries it for me are the characters and cutscenes.

Nautica was destroyed after the point you go back in time, Mordegon never got around to making his spectral posse so we big fish monster wouldn't have destroyed it.
Oh, I was convinced you could go back in act 2. Been playing for so many hs that I probably got the timeline mixed up.

Edit:Mmm don't you go back early in act 3? I can't remember right now.

At level 70, with all of his important skills and strong postgame weapons, on stronger monsters, he's still the worst character by a mile. I don’t care if he does slightly more damage than the others when everything goes perfectly, this is a game where everything going perfectly is explicitly meant to be a rarity.

Trying to use him because people say he’s great probably contributed to almost as many wipes through the game as poor decisions or exceptionally bad rng. I don’t know why I keep trying to make characters that make use of status effects for high damage work. They’re almost always trash in practice.
Heh. I almost exclusively did not use him for boss fights on my first playthrough. After the first two (I think it was only two)bosses, he got benched for almost the rest of the game until I'd bring him out to test some stuff, only to find how bad he still was compared to Jade and others for both trash setups, and bosses. However, he's not entirely worthless the whole game. During specific parts of post-game he really, truly shines. Just as a character throughout the entire playthrough, he's probably tied with Serena for most useless in general. She's good for very specific fights where Snap, Crackle, Poof makes a huge difference, but otherwise she doesn't offer anything outside of a very brief scenario. Her harp resists aren't worth it until super late either.

Aaaand done!

Cool game, have a lot of complains but after 120hs can't deny that I enjoyed my time with it.

What was the purpose of Quadraslash and Pearly Gates tho -_-
Well...
Pearly is mainly for Undead, or as a placeholder since Rab doesn't exactly get the fourth tier Krackle spell until much later (it also works when he's Fizzled since it's an ability and not a spell) and Quadraslash is a full screen bomb. If you're going greatsword (and why wouldn't you until post-game?) you don't have a full screen Giga like one-handed does. 300+ too the entire screen isn't something to scoff at. If you're just wanting to hit groups though, he can do better with Giga or a Zap spell.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Oh, I was convinced you could go back in act 2. Been playing for so many hs that I probably got the timeline mixed up.

Edit:Mmm don't you go back early in act 3? I can't remember right now.
I don't think I could go back in act 2, and I don't think it would let me go back until after the time travel.

I could be mistaken though. Only thing that is for sure messed up is Michelle being alive

I don't think I could go back in act 2, and I don't think it would let me go back until after the time travel.

I could be mistaken though. Only thing that is for sure messed up is Michelle being alive
You can return to Nautica in Act 2 after you get Serena as well as beat the sea monster.

Why is it called "Act 2"? Have I missed the game's calling on it?
No, it is structured basically in saga format. You can see the tone of the story. Many people get confused between act and saga.

Act is basically different from saga. Act is the journey stage of the story, usually set by the protagonist. Technically "act 2" that most people are talking about is actually act 3

Act 1: status quo: luminary in cobblestobe
Act 2: breaking the status quo: lumimary sets out to a big journey. He leaves his status quo behind

Act 3: Raising stake/slump (only applies to act 4 or more story structure): the luminary gets challenged by a new danger. Usually it opens a new journey (depending on the story). In DQ XI, you know which part of this is

Act 4: Rockbottom/Great victory. Usually the hero will go down to his lowest point in his life for this act. (I havent reached this part yet, so im not sure if this exists in DQ XI). This similar act will also reach great victory depending on the storytelling

Btw i studied scriptwriting, so im familiar with this kind of stuff. I usually take charge for this kind lesson, but for this time i will just let it go for free :))

Last edited:
Why is it called "Act 2"? Have I missed the game's calling on it?
The game doesn't explicitly use the word "act", no. It's just that when you play through the game, the game is very obviously divided into 3 parts. You'll definitely know when you hit the end of an act.

And I prefer calling the postgame Act 3 because it has such a significant amount of content (including story progression, voice acted cutscenes, etc. The works) in it that it's almost a disservice to refer to it as the postgame. Other than the fact that you see the credits after Act 2, Act 3 is really just the third part of the game.

Early Act 2 questions on what does Era recommend to do with one party member:

What weapon does Era recommend to go with Hendrik? Should I stick with Greatswords like he was using all through the opening of Act 2?

Early Act 2 questions on what does Era recommend to do with one party member:

What weapon does Era recommend to go with Hendrik? Should I stick with Greatswords like he was using all through the opening of Act 2?
Very much so. It's not only his best option for a while, it completely fits thematically with how you've seen him portrayed up until then.

However...
to grab Hatchet Man from axes. Usually after unlocking Unbridled, depending on whether or not you want a slime killing skill earlier or later (later means you grab stuff in Heroism before that instead). But any crappy axe will do with this for the most part. You probably don't need to buy him a new one until you run into crap like King Metal Slimes way late.

edit: Post-game sword and shield are his best setup, especially with Gyrfalcon.

Last edited:
Very much so. It's not only his best option for a while, it completely fits thematically with how you've seen him portrayed up until then.

However...
to grab Hatchet Man from axes. Usually after unlocking Unbridled, depending on whether or not you want a slime killing skill earlier or later (later means you grab stuff in Heroism before that instead). But any crappy axe will do with this for the most part. You probably don't need to buy him a new one until you run into crap like King Metal Slimes way late.

edit: Post-game sword and shield are his best setup, especially with Gyrfalcon.
Thank goodness my Hero can use that great...
...Heliodor Shield. It would've been a waste if it was usable only by Hendrik who's Greatsword would've made it useless.

What's so good about Hatchet Man? Especially if my Hendrik will not be using axes?

It is really satisfying seeing so many people enjoying DQXI despite the nature of this game's OST. I played the game in Japanese last year (could not afford to guess if SE would bring DQXI to NA in less than a year). Got the game at launch at my local EBGames. It has been almost 3 weeks since its launch and I have not touched it yet. I need to find time to get to it eventually. :P

Is there a way to re-watch the credits after finishing the game?
Shouldn't it be in the L'Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles

It is really satisfying seeing so many people enjoying DQXI despite the nature of this game's OST. I played the game in Japanese last year (could not afford to guess if SE would bring DQXI to NA in less than a year). Got the game at launch at my local EBGames. It has been almost 3 weeks since its launch and I have not touched it yet. I need to find time to get to it eventually. :P
I don't even mind the OST, I thought it was okay

Thanks! But what's this about
Hatchet Man I'm being told about? Why would that be worth my time if my Hendrik won't be fucking around with axes?
Keep an axe around to equip with metal slimes about so you have a better chance of killing those fuckers with another character

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
I need to check my party composition.

Dunno why I lug this luminary around, hes so one note and doesn't bring a variety of anything to the table. Mainly just unbridled sword swing and that's it.

Hatchet Man I'm being told about? Why would that be worth my time if my Hendrik won't be fucking around with axes?
Haven’t gotten that skill yet myself but it seems like...
since it’s for metal slimes, you’d want to keep it around to help kill them when you encounter them. It’s a free action to switch your equipment so if you can spare the points, it’d make sense to get it and just switch a cheap axe in to kill the slimes when you see them, I guess?

also, having looked into it tonight myself, it looks like if you get it by going down from the start of the sword tree you only have to get one relatively cheap axe skill on your way to it, and then you can reset the sword tree

Along with Lightning Thrust, it's one of the only kind of "guaranteed" ways to kill metal slimes for a very long time. It either has a 50% chance to crit like Thunder Thrust, or 67% like Lightning. Once you start facing Viscious Metal Slimes, you will want more than just one crit attack, or pressing your luck hitting monsters for 1 damage each round per party member and praying they don't run away. If you don't care about metal slimes (and the silver, "Hardy Hand" variant) at all, then by all means ignore axes completely.

Finally!
I beat Tentacular at lvl 25 without even using the canon trick.

It cost me a Yggdrasil Leaf (the first I've used thus far) and a Prayer Ring that I made specifically for this fight, but with Serena and Sylvando healing and buffing them, my MC and Erik were able to dispatch the tentacles after a rough fight, making it easy to finish off the main body afterwards.

And it took me till this point to realize just how fantastic Erik is, as he basically carried the fight. He could help with killing the tentacles fairly quickly thanks to his poison stab + the corresponding follow-up, and then he was able to put it to sleep and follow up with Persecutter like 4 times. I'm kinda annoyed that I benched him for a while after getting Sylvando, since his damage output is insane.

So how long exactly is Act 3? I'm talking about story stuff, I'd like to to optional contents too (but not stuff like getting all medals, all characters to level 99 etc, just actual content like side-quests, I did 47 of those and I had nothing else in the quest journal when I
went back in time.
I just
killed Jesper again and now I need to go to the king for a celebration.
also when I clear story stuff I'm still able to keep playing to do stuff I missed, eventually?