Dragon Quest 11: Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| Classic Combat Camera is Crucial

Damn! I feel so under leveled where I'm at. I need to grind levels and find better equipment.
When do I get my full party back? I have to look for the knight that everyone keeps dreaming about
Dundrasil ruins, Liege Lizards/Dragons.
They give you a proper amount of XP and also drop Dragon hides/horns that you'll need later on
End of Act 2 questions
So I'm at the Fortress of Fear, is there a save point or campsite anywhere in the castle at all? Besides the one at the entrance. I'm on the 4th floor and would greatly appreciate one soon lol.
Ah okay
Dragon? I don't think I've reached the point where the shortcut becomes available. I'm still trying to unlock the platforms to cross that big gap on the fourth floor.
LOL I made the same stupid mistake, didn't understand
what the point of removing those crystals was.
I kinda figured out the "dragon elevator" by mistake, when I was trying to grab a chest from a balcony.

That dungeon was reall well designed IMO. Going back to the entrance still takes long enough to make one carry on, but is also quick enough that it's not some huge slog.
Also makes it possible to finish that dungeon at various levels/builds. I'd guess you could probably finish it in 2 runs if you have enough MP points or Elixirs in your bag.
OTH you can also finish the dungeon doing one floor per run. Brilliant game design.

Can't praise DQ11 enough.

I just wrapped up the platinum trophy and I can pretty safely say this is my game of the year so far. What an incredible ride, even after playing it nonstop for two weeks it's all I can think about and I'm super sad I finally reached the end.

Also, I would say it took me about 100 hours to get the platinum if anyone is curious.

Finally finished the game (postgame and all) this morning and wow, what a ride it was!
I was close to cancelling my preorder for it because I had zero hype but here we are 100+ hours later and it's probably my favourite game of the last 10 years, nothing has captured my heart this much since Persona 3.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I'm just so over dark, dreary games and complicated gameplay systems. The feeling of simplicity and wholesomeness in this was just so perfect for me right now.
I have so many thoughts and *feels* that I can't put into words, but the closest feeling I can think of to likening it to is playing D&D with my friends many years ago, some of my happiest memories.

Meanwhile I bought the Torna expansion for XB2 and even though I'm done with DQ11 now, I have no interest in playing it, I just want to start a new game in DQ or maybe play one of the older ones, lol.

Oh, and watching the intro cutscene after finishing the whole game is pretty interesting too!

Forging in this game is a pain in the ass. I get a lot of failures, just not enough focus on anything that's decent unless I'm doing it too early.
You might be trying to craft certain items too early if you're running out of focus, yeah. It shouldn't be very hard at all. Unless you're not doing stuff like double whammy, quadrabash, etc. to fill bars up more efficiently.

I will say... two things I would have loved changed.

1. The number of scenes that are taking you from a story scene to needing to walk to the next place for another story scene.... just bring me there automatically and continue the story @[email protected]

2. the ability to turn off l2 as a secondary x button. I click it by accident all the time and skip through text @[email protected]

Finally finished the game (postgame and all) this morning and wow, what a ride it was!
I was close to cancelling my preorder for it because I had zero hype but here we are 100+ hours later and it's probably my favourite game of the last 10 years, nothing has captured my heart this much since Persona 3.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I'm just so over dark, dreary games and complicated gameplay systems. The feeling of simplicity and wholesomeness in this was just so perfect for me right now.
I have so many thoughts and *feels* that I can't put into words, but the closest feeling I can think of to likening it to is playing D&D with my friends many years ago, some of my happiest memories.

Meanwhile I bought the Torna expansion for XB2 and even though I'm done with DQ11 now, I have no interest in playing it, I just want to start a new game in DQ or maybe play one of the older ones, lol.

Oh, and watching the intro cutscene after finishing the whole game is pretty interesting too!
Yea, I just finished it too. It really just makes me want to play DQ3 again.

Not sure how far I am, but holy shit just got passed a downer.

Just finished the mermaid quest where the girl just decides to kill herself since she cannot be with her love. Man that was kinda dark.

The game is amazing though love everything about it since I installed that music mod.

To all those people who completed the game, can you tell us how long does it take to clear the post-game story content and if you can do sides when you finish that?
There doesn't seem to be a save after you beat the final boss. That said, there isn't like a dungeon or anything before the final boss. So, you could just load up your last save to do the side quests.

I think my post-game time was about 20 or so hours.

There doesn't seem to be a save after you beat the final boss. That said, there isn't like a dungeon or anything before the final boss. So, you could just load up your last save to do the side quests.

I think my post-game time was about 20 or so hours.
But if you save before killing the boss you can backtrack and do whatever you want? So 20 hours just to clear the story content or you did sides etc? I really want to check only how the story ends at the moment, eventually when I'm bored I can try to do optional side stuff.

But if you save before killing the boss you can backtrack and do whatever you want? So 20 hours just to clear the story content or you did sides etc? I really want to check only how the story ends at the moment, eventually when I'm bored I can try to do optional side stuff.
Yeah you can save before, kill it, then reload and do everything else there is to do. If you just entered postgame it might be hard to kill the last boss right away unless you're way overleveled though, especially on hard mode.

1. The number of scenes that are taking you from a story scene to needing to walk to the next place for another story scene.... just bring me there automatically and continue the story @[email protected]

2. the ability to turn off l2 as a secondary x button. I click it by accident all the time and skip through text @[email protected]
Agreed on both counts. There's a particularly egregious transition in the mountains during Act 2 where you're kicked out of a cutscene, literally walk three steps, and you're in the next one. I get that it's to provide you with breathing room, time to save, etc. but this one was a bit ridiculous.

Agreed on both counts. There's a particularly egregious transition in the mountains during Act 2 where you're kicked out of a cutscene, literally walk three steps, and you're in the next one.
I'm just starting Act 2, but there has been a number of scenes that drop you out of the scene only to ask you to walk for 10-30 seconds to get to the other side of town to continue the scene, often with someone leading you there.

It's not a big issue, but it feels like pointless padding in a game that obviously doesn't need such padding.

I mean if we are getting on with minor complaints I also wish that X didn't shoot enemies. I've lost track of the times I have shot a nearby enemy while trying to pick up a shiny lol.

but these are obviously minor complaints. This truly has been just a well polished classic JRPG so far.

1. The number of scenes that are taking you from a story scene to needing to walk to the next place for another story scene.... just bring me there automatically and continue the story @[email protected].

This so much.
Allthough, it's just a minor issue, those "walk ten metres/cutscene/walk another few steps/cutscene" are annoying as hell sometimes.

Let me add a few other QoL improvements I'd love:

3. No idea why the initial menu at the top left has to be so tiny. It's not covering anthing important and could easily fit another 4-6 items. Put Quest Catalogue/Line Up and Char. Builder on the first level of the ingame menu pls.

4. Option for "auto-rotatation" for the mini map. I always get confused (left or right?), because I'm not used to fixed mini maps.

5. Allow me to enable auto-scroll during cutscenes. I would love to answer texts, fill up my vape or whatnot during cutscenes. Especially after I just finished a 2 hour stint (dungeon plus boss).
This game has voice over, I can follow the scenes just fine without reading.

I also absolutely hate how you have to sit there and manually press A to get the next line of text in the cutscene, who thought that was a good idea?
BEATEN :(

That said, IIRC the JP version didn't have voice over, so that could be it.
OTH Persona 5 also allowed you to auto scroll, so no idea why they didn't add that option.

"CuckBoy" was the most i was able to get away with
ButtFuccer

Wait so the Japanese version had no VO at all? Is that why there isn’t a Japanese option?

Not sure how far I am, but holy shit just got passed a downer.

Just finished the mermaid quest where the girl just decides to kill herself since she cannot be with her love. Man that was kinda dark.

The game is amazing though love everything about it since I installed that music mod.
Hell yeah that part was brutal. The game was already great without the music but with it, it really is elevated to something special.

This so much.
Allthough, it's just a minor issue, those "walk ten metres/cutscene/walk another few steps/cutscene" are annoying as hell sometimes.

Let me add a few other QoL improvements I'd love:

3. No idea why the initial menu at the top left has to be so tiny. It's not covering anthing important and could easily fit another 4-6 items. Put Quest Catalogue/Line Up and Char. Builder on the first level of the ingame menu pls.

4. Option for "auto-rotatation" for the mini map. I always get confused (left or right?), because I'm not used to fixed mini maps.

5. Allow me to enable auto-scroll during cutscenes. I would love to answer texts, fill up my vape or whatnot during cutscenes. Especially after I just finished a 2 hour stint (dungeon plus boss).
This game has voice over, I can follow the scenes just fine without reading.
yeah auto advance in cutscenes would be nice.

I also wouldn't mind a "share all recovery items as equal as possible" button to press lol
I've been going through most of the game with just the hero having items because the menus are too tedious to go through to put items on other people >.>

yeah auto advance in cutscenes would be nice.

I also wouldn't mind a "share all recovery items as equal as possible" button to press lol
I've been going through most of the game with just the hero having items because the menus are too tedious to go through to put items on other people >.>
The inventory management is always terrible in DQ for whatever reason. I'm not even sure why they feel limiting inventories instead of having a shared inventory like almost every other JRPG is a good idea. What does it even do? Can't carry too many potions? But potions are terrible past early game in most of these games anyway and it's not like you can use items willy nilly, they take a turn which means in 99% of the cases you'd rather use a skill than an item. You can't even define what counts as an "essential item" so you can't even like, make their inventories with the right items, then just click the send everything non essential to bag to clear them. Or why does picking stuff up put it in their inventory and not the general inventory? Hero and 2nd char inventory are always full and cluttered because of this.

It's just really poor design that serves no purpose. Doesn't make the game harder really, you can still have the items you want, it's just unnecessary tediousness due to a poor UI. Even just a better UI would make the system "alright".

Ultimately it meant I barely used any item because I rarely had the right items equipped on the right characters because it was a pain. Only one fight I actually had mp regen items on everyone cause it was soon after I tried to re-arrange it and I used most of them in the fight and then forgot about refilling stuff for a long time.

The inventory management is always terrible in DQ for whatever reason. I'm not even sure why they feel limiting inventories instead of having a shared inventory like almost every other JRPG is a good idea. What does it even do? Can't carry too many potions? But potions are terrible past early game in most of these games anyway and it's not like you can use items willy nilly, they take a turn which means in 99% of the cases you'd rather use a skill than an item. You can't even define what counts as an "essential item" so you can't even like, make their inventories with the right items, then just click the send everything non essential to bag to clear them. Or why does picking stuff up put it in their inventory and not the general inventory? Hero and 2nd char inventory are always full and cluttered because of this.

It's just really poor design that serves no purpose. Doesn't make the game harder really, you can still have the items you want, it's just unnecessary tediousness due to a poor UI. Even just a better UI would make the system "alright".

Ultimately it meant I barely used any item because I rarely had the right items equipped on the right characters because it was a pain. Only one fight I actually had mp regen items on everyone cause it was soon after I tried to re-arrange it and I used most of them in the fight and then forgot about refilling stuff for a long time.
I actually rearranged my items right before the end of act 1

which of course is super amusing because it seems everything got unequipped from everyone else at the start of act 2 lol.

This was my first DQ, do you reckon the older games would be hard to get into for someone with no other experience of the series?
The iOS/mobile versions of 4/5/6 are very good. They're old games, but they also avoid some of the more frustrating UI stuff that makes me not recommend older DQ games.

I love the attention to detail in this game and just have dense the environments are. Whenever I get into a city, I spend a lot of time looking at every building, going inside every house, interacting with every NPC; looking for books to read, for treasure to get. I rarely do this in any game let alone a JRPG. All the little hidden nooks and crannies are so cleverly placed too. Something as simple as a mild platform section or a little rope. And then just the textures and polygon counts of the food, the bookshelves, the fucking whiskey racks and wine bottles. They’re all so meticulous. t’s magnificent.

I also make it my mission to destroy every pumpkin in this game. Fuck your pumpkins, citizens.

The iOS/mobile versions of 4/5/6 are very good. They're old games, but they also avoid some of the more frustrating UI stuff that makes me not recommend older DQ games.
Sweet, good to know! Do they control similarly to FF Tactics on iOS? I'll admit I had to give up playing that, it couldn't seem to register my touches, might be because I've damaged my fingertips.

Sweet, good to know! Do they control similarly to FF Tactics on iOS? I'll admit I had to give up playing that, it couldn't seem to register my touches, might be because I've damaged my fingertips.
No, it is DS stylus controls adapated to a touch screen. I felt the interface is appropriately sized, and the games require less precision than any other game SE has ported to mobile.

They go on sale for like $7 occasionally.

Had one of those cool JRPGs moments where I assume a fight is not actually winnable but then everyone dies and I'm looking at a game over screen.

lol I didn't even hurt the thing I just healed for a couple of turns and then I was done.

Wait so the Japanese version had no VO at all? Is that why there isn’t a Japanese option?
they're oddly adamant against bringing DQ into the 21st century when it comes to audio. i don't know why the japanese fanbase puts up with it, even for DQ (though i don't browse 2ch or whatever their resetera/reddit equivalent is, maybe it is an issue for them)

I agree with 1, but this is a problem with JRPG in general, maybe it's worse in DQ XI. 2 is not bad IMO, I can play with one hand thanks to this option (yeah, turning it off should be an option).

I'm past the first couple of sections of Act 2.
Kind of disappointed the perpetual night didn't last for longer - it's such an effective mood change.
Agree, the first hours of Act 2 were good enough thanks to this, but then the game changes to some random cloudy weather that looks far worse than Act 1 for some reason.

I usually don't even care about platinums, but man I'm so close, I might just go for it. Definitely the best game I've played this year. A bit too much repetition in locations, but you always revisit places in a different context than before so they just about get away with it. It could have been shorter, but overall it was 90 hours well spent.

No, it is DS stylus controls adapated to a touch screen. I felt the interface is appropriately sized, and the games require less precision than any other game SE has ported to mobile.

They go on sale for like $7 occasionally.
Neat, thank you for responding! I’ll keep my eye out for one of those sales :)

I miss this game so much already, though it’s probably for the best that I’ve wrapped it up now as it’s really been affecting my productivity, haha...

I also absolutely hate how you have to sit there and manually press A to get the next line of text in the cutscene, who thought that was a good idea?
I think this is related to the game having no voice acting in the Japanese release. Related to that, I hate how slow is saving in this game. You need to mash the A (or X) button to skip lots of useless text every time you do it.

Speaking of getting old, this is the first DQ I have used artificial intelligence mode extensively. I even crafter MP healing rings (8 of them) so every member heals 20 MP after each battle.