Dragon Quest 11: Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| Classic Combat Camera is Crucial

Used electrolight + halellujah for the first time.....

I'm a believer. 336k exp from that fight.
Tried this out yesterday and had an absolute miserable time getting it to work consistently. Not only did I have to block extensively for minutes on end, apparently my luck sucked, so I barely got any Metal Slimes. Was about to give up until I found the
Metal Slime island north east of Not Hawaii

Once I did, I was in heaven. I went from the mid 40's to the low to mid 60's in about ~2 hours. I'm pretty much just coasting through the final dungeon now. Even the monsters there don't want any trouble with me, haha.

Also, I'm right in front of the final bosses door (pre-post game) but unfortunately I can't play this until tomorrow night the latest. My wife became so invested in the story, I couldn't find it in my heart to finish this without her watching.

Oh well, off to farm more Metal Slimes then.

Edit:
Slightly, off topic question...

I've played and completed both DQI and DQII. I enjoyed DQI from a history perspective but I had an absolute miserable time with DQII. I plan(ned) to go through the entire series but DQII kind of made me rethink that plan. So, to all the old school DQ vets, barring II, are there worthwhile things in each game or should I just focus on the fan favorites (III, IV, V, VIII).

BTW, I'm currently playing DQIII right now and I'm too early to say anything definite yet, but I'm enjoying it way more than DQII.

Last edited:
No, it is structured basically in saga format. You can see the tone of the story. Many people get confused between act and saga.

Act is basically different from saga. Act is the journey stage of the story, usually set by the protagonist. Technically "act 2" that most people are talking about is actually act 3

Act 1: status quo: luminary in cobblestobe
Act 2: breaking the status quo: lumimary sets out to a big journey. He leaves his status quo behind

Act 3: Raising stake/slump (only applies to act 4 or more story structure): the luminary gets challenged by a new danger. Usually it opens a new journey (depending on the story). In DQ XI, you know which part of this is

Act 4: Rockbottom/Great victory. Usually the hero will go down to his lowest point in his life for this act. (I havent reached this part yet, so im not sure if this exists in DQ XI). This similar act will also reach great victory depending on the storytelling

Btw i studied scriptwriting, so im familiar with this kind of stuff. I usually take charge for this kind lesson, but for this time i will just let it go for free :))
The game doesn't explicitly use the word "act", no. It's just that when you play through the game, the game is very obviously divided into 3 parts. You'll definitely know when you hit the end of an act.

And I prefer calling the postgame Act 3 because it has such a significant amount of content (including story progression, voice acted cutscenes, etc. The works) in it that it's almost a disservice to refer to it as the postgame. Other than the fact that you see the credits after Act 2, Act 3 is really just the third part of the game.
Yes thank you both. I thought I missed the game popping up "Act 2". The point on which the game changes is unmissable though.

Man Act 2 is a pretty big downgrade compared to the first. The whole premise just sucks and almost feels like padding. The only thing that really carries it for me are the characters and cutscenes.
Really? Act 2 is being brilliant so far

Hendrik has just become my favourite character of the game, can't wait to find Jade so they can team up.

Sylvando part though ... too excentric for me.

edit:
lmao forget this question. i just went to the boatguy and apparently it needs to be fixed up and i should go to the other destination first. so much for that :P

Last edited:
Is that even a thing in this one? When I lose to anything I get 3 different options to reload from. The game autosaves frequently.
Only saves when you switch zones, which means when you enter the dungeon at first, unless the dungeon has parts that are "outside". That said you can just load in the last area or last priest/statue you touched without losing any progress but half your gold, so generally it's not much of a concern if you drop your money in the bank often.

What I did for most dungeons is simply clear it all the way to the boss(which is very obvious generally speaking since most stuff is fairly linear), then zoom out, save/heal to full, then run back to the boss while skipping everything.

Only saves when you switch zones, which means when you enter the dungeon at first, unless the dungeon has parts that are "outside". That said you can just load in the last area or last priest/statue you touched without losing any progress but half your gold, so generally it's not much of a concern if you drop your money in the bank often.

What I did for most dungeons is simply clear it all the way to the boss(which is very obvious generally speaking since most stuff is fairly linear), then zoom out, save/heal to full, then run back to the boss while skipping everything.
I guess I hadn't realized that was a thing since I haven't party wiped in awhile.

I have no idea how to get back to The Manglegrove. The bridge is broek, if I go to it from the Costa Valor side. How do I get back? I'm trying to get all of the crossbow targets before
Mandregoso destroys Yggdrasil

Whoops! Never mind; I forgot there was a port on The Emerald Coast.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Is there a way to not dance? This fight is seriously fucking pissing me off. Easily winnable if my entire fucking team wasn't dancing 90% of the time, getting all their mp stolen from a different dance and falling in love with an enemy. Not to mention, calls for backup! 5 enemies all the time.

Edit: oh nice, malicious boss just went 6 times in a row.

Last edited:
I agree with 1, but this is a problem with JRPG in general, maybe it's worse in DQ XI. 2 is not bad IMO, I can play with one hand thanks to this option (yeah, turning it off should be an option).
that's why I just said turn it off.
I mean I didn't even understand the point of the l2 until the loading screen came up about it lol.

AKA the Dark Souls way. TBH I only used this method in the last dungeon, as I played in normal I killed most bosses without any problem, and ignored most of the dungeon enemies.

So can anyone answer my question about...

If I finish Act 2, do the quests I still haven't finished still be available to me? I kind of want to finish it and go back to the questing later.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
So after playing most of the post game, I'd change my opinion from must play to must play till you get the new story which happens super fast.

Even after switching back to non draconian most of it is shit.

After all is said and done, xi ranks pretty low on my dq list. Sad times.

So can anyone answer my question about...

If I finish Act 2, do the quests I still haven't finished still be available to me? I kind of want to finish it and go back to the questing later.
Yeah you can finish everything later on. Nothing is missable iirc.

Last edited:
Holy shit as soon as I got jade's Multthrust, the game broke... at least so far, in the first half. Hey, look this scary boss, I even crafted anti-ice accessories ahead of time just in case... wait nvmd def debuff on boss and attack buff on jade and she's doing more damage than rest of team can do in multple tirns combined XD

Major Act 2 Arboria spoilers

I... was NOT expeciting a main character death, especially one who was teased to have a possible side story about getting her proper biological age back in order. Serena just skyrocketed in character development out of nowhere. She's also super OP now! Although I like her long hair design a lot better.

Oh my god I was not expecting
Veronica to die and Serena to get all the magic. The amount of spells she has now is absurd. Although I wish it were the other way around because I don't really like Serena.

How the fuck do you kill Mordegon in the castle's throne room? I'm getting completely destroyed.
Might not help you, but the first time I fought him I didn't realize that I had all of my newest equipment with me and it just wasn't equipped on everyone else. So going through and fixing everyone's equips gave me a good boost.

Might not help you, but the first time I fought him I didn't realize that I had all of my newest equipment with me and it just wasn't equipped on everyone else. So going through and fixing everyone's equips gave me a good boost.
Yeah I noticed that too after a few tries and it helps for sure but I still can't kill him.

Act 2 Hotto spoilers, but I’ll mention some stuff I did while sailing around as well

well that was a huge fucking waste of time

the miniboss fight was extremely easy as always and yet the actual boss fight was way more frustrating against the same enemy, and what made me lose was that the fucking item management being a pain made me completely forget that I forgot to put items on everyone when they joined/rejoined and Sylvando was out of MP

and, of course, by everyone I mean that the necessary 4 but Erik’s here too, completely unable to do anything of worth beyond an initial sigil, because they couldn’t be bothered to give him the slightest amount of abilities at all

then I ran back through the dungeon only for the boss to immediately do like 4 fricking desperate attacks out of nowhere, meaning Erik immediately died and another character was near death, forcing me to spend the first turns barely hanging on; using Blunt more this time really helped though and with careful buffing/debuffing I was eventually able to win, though I did burn through MP items in the process

and I got... 0, nothing, nada for it, really? ugh... I would have come back later if I knew, I expected you’d get the mirror or something...

honestly one of the more frustrating experiences I’ve had so far, especially because I had limited time tonight, though it’s largely because the miniboss fight did absolute nothing to clue me in that I needed to come back later...

Love when you die to a boss in a dungeon and there's zero checkpoints.
Use Evac (it's next to zoom on the magic tab) whenever you get low on MP/meds. It brings you to the back of the dungeon, where you can replenish, forge and whatever. It's the homeward bone of DQ.
Then you can just run past all enemies and take on the enemies that killed you.

Holy shit as soon as I got jade's Multthrust, the game broke... at least so far, in the first half. Hey, look this scary boss, I even crafted anti-ice accessories ahead of time just in case... wait nvmd def debuff on boss and attack buff on jade and she's doing more damage than rest of team can do in multple tirns combined XD
Yeah, Multithrust is also my go-to move. Especially when you upgrade her Critical % LOL
That said, Jade's still pretty balanced overall because her max MP is that low.
During long boss fights/dungeon runs you always gotta throw some elixirs her way.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Beat act 3.

All said and done I'd put this at a 7/10.

Good enough game for me to see through to the end, but I liked dq8 a lot more.

Turned stronger monsters off because it was tedious, but normal is too easy. Like others have said there should have been an in between or finer tuning on stronger monsters.

What I'm most happy with with the ending is freeing Serenica from her "prison."

Except with her going back and presumably saving Erdwin, you'd think there would be no erdwins lantern because they killed him and no need for me as a luminary?

Perhaps she went back and still failed.

Last edited:
So far, one thing that bothers me a bit is the lack of interaction between characters, especially during party chat. It would have been nice for them to have full conversations with each other

Veronica to die and Serena to get all the magic. The amount of spells she has now is absurd. Although I wish it were the other way around because I don't really like Serena.
Actuallly in that camping scene i already noticed there was a literal white flag covering over her face but i decided to overlook it

Just finished Act 1
I'm loving the game but I hope this isn't one of those games where everyone you meet on your journey now dies. Not sure I want to keep playing if the game is going to end with everyone dying... That took a long time to get to Yggdrasil, My clock is at over 36hrs, level 28

Should I be going off the beaten path to explore all the places the story doesn't take me to yet (eg, the volcano near Hotto), or just wait until I go there in act 2 or post game or whenever?

Is hyper Serena the most over powered DQ character? She has all the best healing spells, damage spells, buff spells and enemies nerfs spells. She does everything you need from a mage, you're always left wondering what to do in her turn because of it!

Act 2 Hotto spoilers, but I’ll mention some stuff I did while sailing around as well

well that was a huge fucking waste of time

the miniboss fight was extremely easy as always and yet the actual boss fight was way more frustrating against the same enemy, and what made me lose was that the fucking item management being a pain made me completely forget that I forgot to put items on everyone when they joined/rejoined and Sylvando was out of MP

and, of course, by everyone I mean that the necessary 4 but Erik’s here too, completely unable to do anything of worth beyond an initial sigil, because they couldn’t be bothered to give him the slightest amount of abilities at all

then I ran back through the dungeon only for the boss to immediately do like 4 fricking desperate attacks out of nowhere, meaning Erik immediately died and another character was near death, forcing me to spend the first turns barely hanging on; using Blunt more this time really helped though and with careful buffing/debuffing I was eventually able to win, though I did burn through MP items in the process

and I got... 0, nothing, nada for it, really? ugh... I would have come back later if I knew, I expected you’d get the mirror or something...

honestly one of the more frustrating experiences I’ve had so far, especially because I had limited time tonight, though it’s largely because the miniboss fight did absolute nothing to clue me in that I needed to come back later...
When I beat him, he was able to destroy my team beyound the point where I could recover on the first turn. I restarted the fight something like 10 or so times, the first time I lucked out and was able to cast Blunt successfully on him twice and still have the two support characters alive, I was able to beat him without any problems. :D

I was rather pleased about that.
I found Veronica to be rather annoying and much preferred Serena