Everything You Need to Know about Dreams.

I really liked the demo at EGX personally, but I obviously went into it with the prior knowledge and context of knowing exactly what it is. I'd never seen the visual novel before and some of the presentation tricks in that blew my mind, while the short snippet of the campaign reminded me how great Media Molecule is at actually making games.

I dunno, I still think this thing is going to blow up when the beta drops. The PR right now almost doesn't matter because the day the beta goes live and someone's made a rhythm game with an electro remix of Sweet Child O' Mine, it's going to go viral.

It's imperative they get the beta absolutely spot on, because that's what's going to sell the game more than anything else.

I think it was stated that the levels were made in Dreams, but the sheer breadth of what that means certainly wasn't clear. It's certainly not a great demo and while the games themselves were cool in their own ways (aside from the side-scrolling shmup), it kinda felt like someone they cobbled together at short notice rather than really spending the time. The PR with the game has always been kinda weird, no doubt in part because the game's scope has shifted frequently and the release date has clearly been fluid, at least internally. It's never really felt like they've kicked into high gear with the PR, so hopefully when they do they'll get it right. Dreams PR thus far feels like preaching to the choir.
How come? What's wrong with it?

OK, so now it seems they've switched their strategy to showing how levels can be remixed. This is great but I really hope they don't make the same mistake they made with building levels and repeat the same thing over and over again. I STILL want some deep dives into the tools they show off. This 'Blue Peter' approach is fine and dandy for the beginner but, as a LBP fan, I want some nerdy stuff to chew over. I'm still satisfied with what they've shown here though. It's just those fleeting glimpses of the tech without digging deep into their possibilities that frustrates me.

Funnily enough, I found these streams OK, especially the first. I. JUST. NEED. DETAILS!
Idk at this point aside from actual beta news(because honestly what do we really know about this beta aside from “later 2018” and the actual release date is gone with the wind) I just want a really like hardcore stream like pro level I took a bunch of time on this game watch me play, I’ll explain how I made it. For the most part it’s been pre made assets and a theme than a small lil area

Idk at this point aside from actual beta news(because honestly what do we really know about this beta aside from “later 2018” and the actual release date is gone with the wind) I just want a really like hardcore stream like pro level I took a bunch of time on this game watch me play, I’ll explain how I made it. For the most part it’s been pre made assets and a theme than a small lil area
Same here and I don't think we're alone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, LBP players want to know what's possible with the tools so they can start designing their levels NOW. MM must know this ... surely?

Great showing at EGX again. :)
Hopefully nothing goes wrong and the beta will indeed release this year. Not that much time left.
But betas could get announced even a few days/weeks before release, so I'm still hopeful since they seem to be confident as well.

Great showing at EGX again. :)
Hopefully nothing goes wrong and the beta will indeed release this year. Not that much time left.
But betas could get announced even a few days/weeks before release, so I'm still hopeful since they seem to be confident as well.
It will be weeks at the least. They'll want a good amount of content for when the game releases so they can select the best and put it in MM picks.

I don't think Dreams is the kind of game PR can sell. It's a bit like Minecraft in that. What matters is getting the beta in people's hands. It's the players who'll create awesome stuff, get excited and share gifs and videos all over the internet, and generate hype and interest for the final release amongst the larger public.

I don't think Dreams is the kind of game PR can sell. It's a bit like Minecraft in that. What matters is getting the beta in people's hands. It's the players who'll create awesome stuff, get excited and share gifs and videos all over the internet, and generate hype and interest for the final release amongst the larger public.
Yeah, Twitch and YouTube will be the best PR for Dreams.

Same here and I don't think we're alone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, LBP players want to know what's possible with the tools so they can start designing their levels NOW. MM must know this ... surely?
I think they know but at the same time I get the impression that they don't want to scare non hardcore fans with lots of wires and complicated logic. That's why they are only showing pre-made stuff I think. I recon they are going to show more hardcore streams once the beta/game is out .

The beta is what's going to push Dreams. It's going to make people more interested in the game. It's going to amazing.

I've started to storyboad some stuff im going to do and it just makes me even more excited.

Things I noticed:

We appear to have a default floor now when creating. I also noticed this in the MM stream when they showed their creations. One of the devs pulled out her characters WITHOUT using a floor but then she ran around and the character moved as if there WAS a floor.

When sizing the blocks, the wording 'MM' did not lose its clarity. It remained as dense as when it was in its smaller form. A small thing but I thought it was interesting to note.

We can now add logic to the pieces so we can place them down without needing to adjust their orientation ... sort of like a sticker in LBP. I'd like to see that tool and what it's called. Note that this isn't the same as the tool they've been using to create on a grid. When he placed those disco lights down they automatically locked to the floor.

There is a new timer added to the recording device. I mentioned this before and it's been verified again. This has me a little worried to be honest. We saw a lengthy puppeteering cutscene created a while back and this would not be possible with the short amount of time now available. I'm hoping that length can be adjusted because 'linking' animations is going to require an extra step.

There is a new timer added to the recording device. I mentioned this before and it's been verified again. This has me a little worried, to be honest. We saw a lengthy puppeteering cutscene created a while back and this would not be possible with the short amount of time now available. I'm hoping that length can be adjusted because 'linking' animations is going to require an extra step.
This has been addressed by MM developer in the dreams discord group.
we have two (recorders) one for puppet recording, one for like, moving a platform
Addressing concerns about the length
I just tested it
it stacked while I was recording
and kept on stacking
I'm not sure if there is a limit
suffice to say, you can record a pretty long clip
its designed for shorter bursts of movement
that's why the bar fills up quick
I can't imagine many cases where you'd want lots more
it shrinks back down then fills back up again
you would definitely want to do elaborate stuff in lots of smaller animations
but it depends what you want to make really
in any case, the clips can be long
so don't worry
The idea behind that is that you want to record in short burst so if you make a mistake you don't have to delete and record everything from scratch
you would want smaller clips to make smaller adjustments
otherwise you just have to retake everything again

Last edited:
When sizing the blocks, the wording 'MM' did not lose its clarity. It remained as dense as when it was in its smaller form. A small thing but I thought it was interesting to note.
I assume they’ll be using vectors for 2D assets. Shapes that are created using mathematical formulas the computer can interpret. It means that as you scale the image the formula output changes and overall sharpness stays the same, rather than pixels getting bigger as would happen in a rasterized image and become blurry.

This has been addressed by MM developer in the dreams discord group.

Addressing concerns about the length

The idea behind that is that you want to record in short burst so if you make a mistake you don't have to delete and record everything from scratch
Nice one. Thanks for the confirmation.

Wouldn't the wording keep its detail if it was "large" when it was created? Nothing in Dreams is baked in, so a highly detailed object plopped onto a smaller low-fi asset should still contain all of its full-scale data.

Nice. I wonder if you can change the footfall sounds? This isn't like LBP in that the materials represented real world materials and so the sounds were baked in. Yes, you can change the way the material looks (waxy, classy, metalic etc) but they don't have inherent properties until you set them yourself. Perhaps the settings I mentioned give you generic footfall sounds such as metalic but what about if you create a beach of shale or long grass? Obviously the marionette has collision. How much control do we have over those footfall collisions though?

Looks good but it has that Fuzzy style what we already know since years....
I think we've seen enough to know you don't have to use it for the focal point of your graphics. I'm sure making it loose for the background and incidental detail is going to save on thermo but, having seen the D-bug level and the recent Access vids, it's clear more 'solid' creations are possible.