Everything You Need to Know about Dreams.

Nice. I wonder if you can change the footfall sounds? This isn't like LBP in that the materials represented real world materials and so the sounds were baked in. Yes, you can change the way the material looks (waxy, classy, metalic etc) but they don't have inherent properties until you set them yourself. Perhaps the settings I mentioned give you generic footfall sounds such as metalic but what about if you create a beach of shale or long grass? Obviously the marionette has collision. How much control do we have over those footfall collisions though?
I have no doubt you can change the walking sound effects. Only question is how. Is it a property of the terrain objects? Is it a property of the character? Is it hard-coded, or can you select your own sound effects? If it is hard-coded, can you disable it and use logic to play your own sfx by testing for what terrain any given character is walking on manually?

I wonder when they gonna show off vr properly... what can we do, what’s the limits, asked on twitter and was hit with the We’ll talk about it at a later date like the game was just announced

I have no doubt you can change the walking sound effects. Only question is how. Is it a property of the terrain objects? Is it a property of the character? Is it hard-coded, or can you select your own sound effects? If it is hard-coded, can you disable it and use logic to play your own sfx by testing for what terrain any given character is walking on manually?
Yes, I've just tweeted MM to try and find out. For instance, you might want to make a stylised animation about a clown and when he walks you get the sound of a horn, or perhaps you want a fairy that makes tinkling sounds when they walk. I'm sure it's going to be there but they haven't shown it yet.

I wonder when they gonna show off vr properly... what can we do, what’s the limits, asked on twitter and was hit with the We’ll talk about it at a later date like the game was just announced
Yeah, a stream with focusing on VR would be great.
Day 1 VR support was a great news but slowly they should us give more infos....

A quick question that might be easy for someone to answer, regarding sculpting. Can you 'subtract' complex compound objects from other objects, or only subtract the base primitive shapes? If I make a really complex object, can I use it as a subtract brush against another arbitrary object?

I was reading the technical presentations behind Dreams and it made me wonder if that was possible. It seems like it might be a trickier case to handle, so I wonder if they support that.

A quick question that might be easy for someone to answer, regarding sculpting. Can you 'subtract' complex compound objects from other objects, or only subtract the base primitive shapes? If I make a really complex object, can I use it as a subtract brush against another arbitrary object?

I was reading the technical presentations behind Dreams and it made me wonder if that was possible. It seems like it might be a trickier case to handle, so I wonder if they support that.
Do you mean, if you make the shape of a star (for instance), can you then use that to subtract the shape of a star from another solid object? If I'm reading that correctly then I'd say yes although I don't think it's been addressed directly. It was a feature in LBP and I can't imagine they'd remove it for Dreams.

No, you can't.
Alex tweeted it in the past year, but I'm too lazy to find the tweet.

No, you can't.
Alex tweeted it in the past year, but I'm too lazy to find the tweet.
Thanks!

It makes sense given the tech presentations... it seems like it would be a whole other level of complexity.

Do you mean, if you make the shape of a star (for instance), can you then use that to subtract the shape of a star from another solid object? If I'm reading that correctly then I'd say yes although I don't think it's been addressed directly. It was a feature in LBP and I can't imagine they'd remove it for Dreams.
LBP's, I think, was a 2D CSG evaluated to an explicit mesh. 2D CSG is much much simpler to evaluate and handle robustly with triangle meshes.

3D CSG is much more of an open problem. Arbitrary CSG trees seem to be either slow to render, or robustness can break down quickly when you try to turn them into meshes for rendering.

Thanks!

It makes sense given the tech presentations... it seems like it would be a whole other level of complexity.

LBP's, I think, was a 2D CSG evaluated to an explicit mesh. 2D CSG is much much simpler to evaluate and handle robustly with triangle meshes.

3D CSG is much more of an open problem. Arbitrary CSG trees seem to be either slow to render, or robustness can break down quickly when you try to turn them into meshes for rendering.
Well, I don't understand a word of that. LOL. It seems I was wrong though.

Shawn just casually saying 2019 is hilarious we all knew it but media molecules silence is hilarious
They were probably waiting on official word from Sony moving forward. That's probably why they kept pressing the beta messaging so hard. It's designed to get people excited for the beta and forget about the fact it was supposed to launch this year. All I'll say is they better have lots of videos and lots of informative streams. They CANNOT continue to run on fumes any longer.

Watch this and listen closely to what the guy says. This should not still be a thing:

Last edited:
It's weird, I've been watching spryo reignited gameplay and i dont give a single fuck about that game lol. And yet I'm excited, not for Spyro, but for Dreams.

The artstyle reminds me of a few snippets of Dreams montage footage, the Robot in the cave time lapse sculpt, and even the Mm tech demo that had the village falling into place.

I can't wait to build my life away lol.

It's weird, I've been watching spryo reignited gameplay and i dont give a single fuck about that game lol. And yet I'm excited, not for Spyro, but for Dreams.

The artstyle reminds me of a few snippets of Dreams montage footage, the Robot in the cave time lapse sculpt, and even the Mm tech demo that had the village falling into place.

I can't wait to build my life away lol.
I'm starting to do that too! LOL. Every time I see a game I think is possible in Dreams, I can't help but start working out how I'd do it.

So do we have any information on how the beta's going to work? Is it just going to be limited to to youtubers/streamers/influencers, or are they going to give out keys to prominent Dreams community members, or is it going to be more along the lines of early access where anyone can play the beta if they pay for it? Or do we just not know?

So do we have any information on how the beta's going to work? Is it just going to be limited to to youtubers/streamers/influencers, or are they going to give out keys to prominent Dreams community members, or is it going to be more along the lines of early access where anyone can play the beta if they pay for it? Or do we just not know?
It's said to be open so it should be available to everyone. I'm sure they'll push them out slowly so there's likely to be some 'selection' early on.

We know nothing about what the beta even means , what’s in it , how long is it, are all tools included, vr?, open closed invites? Plz be excited beta later this year. O btw it’s October on Monday :)

This and the last video, it's almost like they have to do some journalism to find out more, but that would mean more effort than a hot take. Is not like they don't know exactly what they were shown and what else there is, because the video is full of clips of it. *Shrug*

I get they wanted to see something other than what was shown, but they wouldn't go to BFV multiplayer demo and complain because they didn't see any of the SP campaign would they?

It's the hot-take, give me what *I* want to see culture of the YouTube "influencer" click-bait generation.

This and the last video, it's almost like they have to do some journalism to find out more, but that would mean more effort than a hot take. Is not like they don't know exactly what they were shown and what else there is, because the video is full of clips of it. *Shrug*

I get they wanted to see something other than what was shown, but they wouldn't go to BFV multiplayer demo and complain because they didn't see any of the SP campaign would they?

It's the hot-take, give me what *I* want to see culture of the YouTube "influencer" click-bait generation.
What it shows clearly though is that MM have not communicated well enough OR given the community enough to communicate on their behalf. If they'd have done what I've been suggesting for ages now, and that's to release shorter videos (once a week) with in depth looks at individual tools, then the community would have those shorter video to reference when people ask 'can you do this' and specific details to answer specific questions. People would have started planning their levels and this would have lead to active forums which in turn would have drawn in more random viewers because those threads would have risen to the top. Curiosity would have done the rest and we would have had all the vids we needed to explain the potential of Dreams.

These people still think it's game when it's actually a development tool. I understand the dilemma MM have and the difficulty of promoting a development tool rather than a game but they should have embraced the 'not knowing'. Like I said, curiosity would have then been the draw. They've fostered confusion when it should have been intrigue.

Last edited:
What it shows clearly though is that MM have not communicated well enough OR given the community enough to communicate on their behalf. If they'd have done what I've been suggesting for ages now, and that's to release shorter videos (once a week) with in depth looks at individual tools, then the community would have those shorter video to reference when people ask 'can you do this' and specific details to answer specific questions. People would have started planning their levels and this would have lead to active forums which in turn would have drawn in more random viewers because those threads would have risen to the top. Curiosity would have done the rest and we would have had all the vids we needed to explain the potential of Dreams.
Don't disagree with some of that. However I don't think you are going to stop the videos like those you posted by putting more information out there. Those sort of videos are quick little effort opinions, it doesn't matter how much info is out there, they don't want to look for it. Strong opinions get more clicks than an informed one and take less effort and time.

Don't disagree with some of that. However I don't think you are going to stop the videos like those you posted by putting more information out there. Those sort of videos are quick little effort opinions, it doesn't matter how much info is out there, they don't want to look for it. Strong opinions get more clicks than an informed one and take less effort and time.
No, but we'd have many vids to post in these videos so that the creator and the viewers could get the bigger picture. Just show us specifics now. One video dedicated to the emitter, another to the pistons, another to the hinges, another to the text tool, another to the movers etc. At least then we can start planning out our games and know what is the best way of pulling it off.

No, but we'd have many vids to post in these videos so that the creator and the viewers could get the bigger picture. Just show us specifics now. One video dedicated to the emitter, another to the pistons, another to the hinges, another to the text tool, another to the movers etc. At least then we can start planning out our games and know what is the best way of pulling it off.
Or maybe just release a flipping Beta

That's more than what any developer would do.
RDR2 is releasing in less than a month and we've had a single gameplay video, but we've probably had 30-40 hours of Dreams streams.

Regarding your other posts, anybody who doesn't know what Dreams is by now, hasn't done any research. It's very obvious what Dreams is, and the guys in those videos are bad journalists or are being purposely obtuse for whatever reason.

That's more than what any developer would do.
RDR2 is releasing in less than a month and we've had a single gameplay video, but we've probably had 30-40 hours of Dreams streams.

Regarding your other posts, anybody who doesn't know what Dreams is by now, hasn't done any research. It's very obvious what Dreams is, and the guys in those videos are bad journalists or are being purposely obtuse for whatever reason.
This isn't RDR2, this is a development tool. As such, the promotions should reflect that CONSTANTLY. Shorter videos, released every week, concerning the inner workings of the tools would allow for the community to prepare for their projects and give us many more videos to explain what Dreams is, as well as keeping the community bubbling over instead of dying every month. This thread would be filled with discussions about the tools, their uses and how people are going to use them. This is what the LBP community thrived on. When LBP2 released, the more info about the tools that came in, the more sites like LBPCentral became active, and that was simply because of what I described above.

I don't think they would fix the problem of communication by talking more and more about the tools.
I think they know they can't really sell the game as a tool first. LBP sold cause it was also a cool platformer, with a kid friendly mascot.

So they want to show content, i get that, but they show artsy content with almost no gameplay interest, cause, i think, they want to touch casuals rather than core gamers. I think that's where the problem is. They did that forever. They marketed Tearaway as a glorified touch gimmick collections on a console that was 500% for core gamers.

Dreams won't be that easy to use, and if they want to be able to sell it as a game with lots of user generated content, they have to play the mario maker card. From what they've showed, even the small simple things like putting a platform and editing a path with a loop, it's obvious people will pretty shortly (more than with the floaty LBP) be able to do tons of hardcore 3d and 2d platforming levels. This is going to be a pretty active part of the viral communication of the game. It's time to show that a little, so people don't think "so this is a thing to do cute 10 scenes where you walk from a door to an other door ?"

I don't think they would fix the problem of communication by talking more and more about the tools.
I think they know they can't really sell the game as a tool first. LBP sold cause it was also a cool platformer, with a kid friendly mascot.

So they want to show content, i get that, but they show artsy content with almost no gameplay interest, cause, i think, they want to touch casuals rather than core gamers. I think that's where the problem is. They did that forever. They marketed Tearaway as a glorified touch gimmick collections on a console that was 500% for core gamers.

Dreams won't be that easy to use, and if they want to be able to sell it as a game with lots of user generated content, they have to play the mario maker card. From what they've showed, even the small simple things like putting a platform and editing a path with a loop, it's obvious people will pretty shortly (more than with the floaty LBP) be able to do tons of hardcore 3d and 2d platforming levels. This is going to be a pretty active part of the viral communication of the game. It's time to show that a little, so people don't think "so this is a thing to do cute 10 scenes where you walk from a door to an other door ?"
Trust me, it would. I know it would because it did with LBP. Everyone piled into the forums to discuss the latest tools, created threads about their projects and the sites (like LBPCentral) actually started dedicated sub forums specifically because of the new info. As soon as people had solid info, those forums became more active. They keep catering to what I would call the 'Blue-Peter' audience but they should be catering to the people with the ability to actually do something with that information. This is what they should be doing now (plus things we're already getting) in order to feed to desire to plan and create.

They've said the beta creations will be available to play when the game releases. It's an absolute certainty that they'd get far better content if the people capable of understanding the tools and building content could plan out what they're going to make and how. What are the options for the text tool for instance? Many people have shown interest in that tool alone and yet they have no idea what it's capable of. What about the pistons? What about the emitters? If we had short detailed videos on things like this we could keep this thread alive with discussion and possibilities. The only reason it dies every month is because we get a video without specifics and the 'short' conversation is about how good or bad the streams was ... and that's it.

Trust me, it would. I know it would because it did with LBP. Everyone piled into the forums to discuss the latest tools, created threads about their projects and the sites (like LBPCentral) actually started dedicated sub forums specifically because of the new info. As soon as people had solid info, those forums became more active. They keep catering to what I would call the 'Blue-Peter' audience but they should be catering to the people with the ability to actually do something with that information. This is what they should be doing now (plus things we're already getting) in order to feed to desire to plan and create.

They've said the beta creations will be available to play when the game releases. It's an absolute certainty that they'd get far better content if the people capable of understanding the tools and building content could plan out what they're going to make and how. What are the options for the text tool for instance? Many people have shown interest in that tool alone and yet they have no idea what it's capable of. What about the pistons? What about the emitters? If we had short detailed videos on things like this we could keep this thread alive with discussion and possibilities. The only reason it dies every month is because we get a video without specifics and the 'short' conversation is about how good or bad the streams was ... and that's it.
Yeah maybe, i don't know. It seems to be something that will be done naturally after it's released. Still, how much would have sold LBP if it didn't sell also as a cool kid platformer ? Their problem is Dreams is not really marketable like that.
I mean sure, there must be a healthy content maker community and its super important for the game, but.. Is this what sells it enough ? Or is this the content they communicate on.. I don't know

Yeah maybe, i don't know. It seems to be something that will be done naturally after it's released. Still, how much would have sold LBP if it didn't sell also as a cool kid platformer ? Their problem is Dreams is not really marketable like that.
I mean sure, there must be a healthy content maker community and its super important for the game, but.. Is this what sells it enough ? Or is this the content they communicate on.. I don't know
YES! It's Youtube for creative types. It's the content that will ultimately sell the game long term. It's not a game that will sell great to begin with and then slow down (or it shouldn't be), it's a service that provides content for consumers or creators and that service will live or die depending on the quantity and quality of it's content. Anything MM can do to make sure that content is there is going to serve Dreams well.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess at least 3 months. They'll want plenty of content with decent quality. I'm going to say March for the game's launch.
So close to Days Gone ? I'm going for April then another marketing push at E3 to show what people have created since launch.

April is looking like a fairly quiet month at the moment.