Everything You Need to Know about Dreams.

"I wanted to see a story, I wanted to see what Dreams is all about."

Well my journo friend, there are countless videos out there showing you what Dreams is about. There is a story that comes with the game, which they've also shown at other preview events. If you're a big fan of LBP like you said you were, I would have expected you to be following Dreams with even a modicum of prior knowledge and investment. Sadly not. A hot take is of more importance that the alternative. Even worse, he compares it to.... *drum rolls* Project Spark.

Imagine you in a meeting. Ya game was announced 3 years ago, finally after all this time game is playable to the public at a show, Company Head asks what game should we put in the demo and somebody goes “please hug me” and it makes it in........

Imagine you in a meeting. Ya game was announced 3 years ago, finally after all this time game is playable to the public at a show, Company Head asks what game should we put in the demo and somebody goes “please hug me” and it makes it in........
Lol, well they have wayyyyy more they can show. They should just put everything in there and let people choose.

Then they can only blame themselves for choosing "Please Hug Me".

With DMCV, Sekiro, The division 2 and Mlb 19.....
So close to Days Gone ? I'm going for April then another marketing push at E3 to show what people have created since launch.

April is looking like a fairly quiet month at the moment.
I don't think Dreams is going to follow convention. I don't think it matters too much what it releases alongside, it matters what content it has and how that content grows. It's a service for the consumers and a tool to create content for developers. Think of it as Youtube. Would it matter when Youtube launches or would it matter what content Youtube has, short term AND long term?

Lol, well they have wayyyyy more they can show. They should just put everything in there and let people choose.

Then they can only blame themselves for choosing "Please Hug Me".
This was available to play. I cannot understand (if people have at least a basic grasp of what Dreams is) how this can't impress someone, even if it's not the sort of game you would like personally. If you understood what Dreams is, you'd still be amazed at what is possible. The vids above seem to show these two channels just haven't grasped what Dreams is:

This was available to play. I cannot understand (if people have at least a basic grasp of what Dreams is) how this can't impress someone, even if it's not the sort of game you would like personally. If you understood what Dreams is, you'd still be amazed at what is possible. The vids above seem to show these two channels just haven't grasped what Dreams is:

There are parts of this demo I've not seen, and I'm already impressed by them.

Can't wait to play Debug's journey.

There are parts of this demo I've not seen, and I'm already impressed by them.

Can't wait to play Debug's journey.
It's up there with a lot of top quality indie titles. We can't tell how it plays because it's two people playing and that always causes problems with continuity. We have seen debug controlled on other recent streams so I'm guessing it also plays like a top quality indie title. Give it a year on the market and Dreams will be filled with content of this quality.

This isn't RDR2, this is a development tool. As such, the promotions should reflect that CONSTANTLY. Shorter videos, released every week, concerning the inner workings of the tools would allow for the community to prepare for their projects and give us many more videos to explain what Dreams is, as well as keeping the community bubbling over instead of dying every month. This thread would be filled with discussions about the tools, their uses and how people are going to use them. This is what the LBP community thrived on. When LBP2 released, the more info about the tools that came in, the more sites like LBPCentral became active, and that was simply because of what I described above.
If you want to call it a development tool instead, then that just furthers my point. We've seen far more of this engine, then we have of other engines pre-release. It's a game first and foremost though in most peoples eyes, and is still being marketed as such.

The community isn't dying, I agree people don't have much to talk about. But forums and the overall community for LBP didn't start thriving until well after launch. The same can be said for Dreams, except it'll have a bigger following at launch than LBP had.

You'll get your short videos at some stage, they've already said they have detailed tutorials and videos planned.

Don't think this has been posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/316183601?t=04h18m45s

It's a demo Abbie did for Gamestar (a german gaming magazine) in EGX. Not much new but it's a different one from last week.
For the love of God, when he asked how you create a character, at least show him the mannequin so he and his audience have SOME idea of the process. I get so frustrated watching MM demo their game sometimes.

Don't think this has been posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/316183601?t=04h18m45s

It's a demo Abbie did for Gamestar (a german gaming magazine) in EGX. Not much new but it's a different one from last week.
The absolute worse dreams demo i have ever seen. For all the talk in the beginning of not being precious about making stuff in dreams and she could not just throw something together that didn't have to look amazing or perfect. They need to have someone who is actually creative and unafraid to try something or go off script demo dreams to the public because this was not impressing anyone, and we all know dreams can be quiet impressive.

I still remember Shuhei Yoshida, f-in president of WWS, on stage with MM at a conference and he specifically asked for a twin-stick shooter to be made, but was refused, because it would “take too long”.

This must be at least 6 months ago. To date, have we seen a twin stick shooter? Yeah... no.

I still like this project, and see the potential, but all the marketing, PR, plus all the repetitive fluff they’ve been putting out about Dreams has seriously dampened it’s momentum.

I still remember Shuhei Yoshida, f-in president of WWS, on stage with MM at a conference and he specifically asked for a twin-stick shooter to be made, but was refused, because it would “take too long”.

This must be at least 6 months ago. To date, have we seen a twin stick shooter? Yeah... no.

I still like this project, and see the potential, but all the marketing, PR, plus all the repetitive fluff they’ve been putting out about Dreams has seriously dampened it’s momentum.
Didn't the fox character have twinstick shooter control?

I’ve pretty much drained myself just stop paying attention to guys. Haven’t watch a single egx thing. Just the twitter intern I been following.
Marketing has been abysmal and following 3 years in aint doing no favors.

Is nobody else seeing the complete lack of imagination coming from the MM team? It's so stark and obvious it hurts my brain to think nobody else is seeing it. In the latest video above we yet again see this is action. Once something new is demoed, it's repeated yet again for many videos that follow. What has been shown recently? Oh, yeah, that's right, how to make fireworks, how to make balloons, how to make those balloons multicoloured and then, using an emitter, firing those balloons out. They just remember what someone else did and copy it. What a wonderful advert for the 'endless' possibilities of Dreams.

For fuck sake MM, let John make 10 - 15 minute videos showcasing each tool and using it in NEW and interesting ways.

They showed a 2d scroller shooter. Not that much different. Definitely possible

. . . i still wish they'd show a racing type thing
They could because they showed a brief snippet a very long time ago. I appreciate that these tools have gone through many iterations and that many of the earlier creations are likely incompatible with the game as it stands now, but, using props WE HAVEN'T SEEN yet, why not just throw something together? Every time they go to that menu to select an asset, we see dozens and dozens of assets and yet they never use any of them. Just look at any stream and you'll see really interesting props they could be using to show 'diversity' and using to create levels that look completely different, instead of the same GOD damn assets.

They could because they showed a brief snippet a very long time ago. I appreciate that these tools have gone through many iterations and that many of the earlier creations are likely incompatible with the game as it stands now, but, using props WE HAVEN'T SEEN yet, why not just throw something together? Every time they go to that menu to select an asset, we see dozens and dozens of assets and yet they never use any of them. Just look at any stream and you'll see really interesting props they could be using to show 'diversity' and using to create levels that look completely different, instead of the same GOD damn assets.
I want to take a stab at a modular racing game made to look flat-shaded, like a sequel to Stunt Race FX. We have criminally few games featuring cars with eyeballs.

It's kind of funny when you hear the games press members like Brandon Jones or the PS Access folks that are already into the game talk about pressing Mm into showing something new or having to prod them on stage to actually show off stuff.

It's kind of funny when you hear the games press members like Brandon Jones or the PS Access folks that are already into the game talk about pressing Mm into showing something new or having to prod them on stage to actually show off stuff.
Guess who Hollie was referring to when she pressed them to show something different?! :)

Is nobody else seeing the complete lack of imagination coming from the MM team? It's so stark and obvious it hurts my brain to think nobody else is seeing it. In the latest video above we yet again see this is action. Once something new is demoed, it's repeated yet again for many videos that follow. What has been shown recently? Oh, yeah, that's right, how to make fireworks, how to make balloons, how to make those balloons multicoloured and then, using an emitter, firing those balloons out. They just remember what someone else did and copy it. What a wonderful advert for the 'endless' possibilities of Dreams.

For fuck sake MM, let John make 10 - 15 minute videos showcasing each tool and using it in NEW and interesting ways.
I agree with what you’re saying, that it appears that they lack imagination. I’m at a loss on what the remedy here is though. Part of me was excited that their intent was to double down on their streams, but now I think maybe they’d be better off going radio silent until the game launches and let the game speak for itself.

If they do want to continue with the streams, I’d like it if they dropped the whole whimsical, twee vibe and just got down to brass tacks.

I remember when they started the streams first, they had actual coding and engine development. Those were a lot more interesting.

I seriously don’t envy their position right now though. Seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. Can’t say it’s not all self inflicted though.

I agree with what you’re saying, that it appears that they lack imagination. I’m at a loss on what the remedy here is though. Part of me was excited that their intent was to double down on their streams, but now I think maybe they’d be better off going radio silent until the game launches and let the game speak for itself.

If they do want to continue with the streams, I’d like it if they dropped the whole whimsical, twee vibe and just got down to brass tacks.

I remember when they started the streams first, they had actual coding and engine development. Those were a lot more interesting.

I seriously don’t envy their position right now though. Seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. Can’t say it’s not all self inflicted though.
Just showing us those assets they skirt around would be a start, as well as using them to create levels.

Show off games. There’s no stretch to say we are all excited for the tools yes? And they know they need to sell the games because that’s all they bought to egx just the games. So why in the living hell would stuff like please hug me be included. I want y’all to do me a favor look at the tga trailer hell gif it for me the second half and look at the games quickly shown off where are those why aren’t those playable

Lol

Last edited:
Show off games. There’s no stretch to say we are all excited for the tools yes? And they know they need to sell the games because that’s all they bought to egx just the games. So why in the living hell would stuff like please hug me be included. I want y’all to do me a favor look at the tga trailer hell gif it for me the second half and look at the games quickly shown off where are those why aren’t those playable

Lol
Because the game is still in active development and the games that worked a year ago might not still work today.. ?

Because the game is still in active development and the games that worked a year ago might not still work today.. ?
So the games they showed in a trailer less than a year ago was all fluff? That’s even worse
We already know two of them are in because please hug me and that space landing game were playable. They simply went with the most boring games

So the games they showed in a trailer less than a year ago was all fluff? That’s even worse
We already know two of them are in because please hug me and that space landing game were playable. They simply went with the most boring games
No. The engine and toolset has undergone major changes, as well as complete overhauls. Haven't you noticed how sometimes John will go to grab an asset or character and it won't let him because Dreams has been updated? This is why I keep asking for the toolset to be shown or assets we haven't seen to be used in level design. However, there could be (and likely are) lots of demos they could be showing. In fact MM actually said as much in a recent interview, so this constant recycling of showing the same creative process using the exact same assets also frustrates me. It's not 'fluff' though if for some reason a demo created a while back cannot now be shown, it's just as I said, incompatibility.

I have a feeling they're holding back on showing a lot of them because they want them to be available online at launch to give people high quality content to search for. Whether I agree with that approach is something I'm not sure about yet.

Have you not seen any of the videos where a dev would try to use an asset and get an error because the asset is basically "out of date"?

Imagine how many assets are constantly broken because of work being done on the actual engine and mechanics.

I get wanting to see new stuff, wanting the beta to be released, but this is the last game you would want to show off or put in peoples hands in such a heavy developmental stage.

edit: lol you answered above as I was replying

I will say I don't believe they have any high quality content that they're holding back at all, simply because of the state of things. I believe all of the content that will be ready for launch will be developed during the public beta phase.

No. The engine and toolset has undergone major changes, as well as complete overhauls. Haven't you noticed how sometimes John will go to grab an asset or character and it won't let him because Dreams has been updated? This is why I keep asking for the toolset to be shown or assets we haven't seen to be used in level design. However, there could be (and likely are) lots of demos they could be showing. In fact MM actually said as much in a recent interview, so this constant recycling of showing the same creative process using the exact same assets also frustrates me. It's not 'fluff' though if for some reason a demo created a while back cannot now be shown, it's just as I said, incompatibility.

I have a feeling they're holding back on showing a lot of them because they want them to be available online at launch to give people high quality content to search for. Whether I agree with that approach is something I'm not sure about yet.
Here’s the thing if they completely revamped the tools and stuff yet again that it makes those games they showed off unplayable since that tga trailer that doesn’t worry ppl?

Top one was playable which means these should be too in the current engine they were all in the same trailer I don’t think it’s a engine issue it’s a marketing one

Last edited:
Here’s the thing if they completely revamped the tools and stuff yet again that it makes those games they showed off unplayable since that tga trailer that doesn’t worry ppl?
No, because they'll eventually rejig the good demos to work with the new toolset. Take a look at that latest stream and notice how the singing plants are broken. We've seen that several times before so clearly something has changed more recently.

I love Mm but goddamn, when u realize this has been a response for nearly 2 years.....

"Its coming, stay tuned!"
STILL DAY 0 THO

I'm starting to do that too! LOL. Every time I see a game I think is possible in Dreams, I can't help but start working out how I'd do it.
I'm glad im not the only one lol. Also curious to see how realistic we could make something appear.

Last edited:
I love Mm but goddamn, when u realize this has been a response for nearly 2 years.....
I absolutely adore Mm they are my favorite first party developer and I put hem leagues about the other studios Sony own because the others design philosophies don’t jive with how I play. However! Their communication is so weird one minute they’ll answer a bunch of questions the next they’ll tell u the same one for years. Still don’t know the limitations of vr and if somebody says maybe they don’t know well at this stage...that’s a problem no?

"Its coming, stay tuned!"
STILL DAY 0 THO
I know, right. I'm an extremely patient person and I'm usually the one to call for calm in the face of a lack of information but this is too much. As I said above, I completely understand the engine and toolset are undergoing changes which make some things incompatible but the lack of imagination when demoing the game blows my mind. Take Foxy, place camera above for a top down view, add in a few enemies and Robotron. Seriously, I can't believe how many times they've shown the same piece of wood, landscape and lava.

Top one was playable which means these should be too in the current engine they were all in the same trailer I don’t think it’s a engine issue it’s a marketing one
Assets have to be manually updated it seems, so one game working on the current up to date engine can either mean the creator went and updated their assets, or their creation simply does not use anything related to whatever changed and broke things.

Most of what is being created is most likely just to test things out, and not actually show off. Doing the same things that you KNOW work, and showing off content that you KNOW won't crash and burn, is the best way to show off this game, unfortunately.

If they were to just let devs go crazy, resulting in more crashes and errors than actual content to show off, it would destroy the game's image.

But yeah, I do think they actually play a little too safe sometimes.

So the tools and the actual game still looks good. It's looked good for awhile, even if in controlled snippets. But what I think we've been talking about ITT for months is MM's terrible marketing.

I wonder if there's some confusion at the studio and Sony about who the audience for this game is. The whimsy of it and MM's previous games enlarges a family game kind of vibe, but the tools get other segments excited. It should be a crossover kind of thing. But instead, I think we get kind of a both/neither situation that results in a mess.

I absolutely adore Mm they are my favorite first party developer and I put hem leagues about the other studios Sony own because the others design philosophies don’t jive with how I play. However! Their communication is so weird one minute they’ll answer a bunch of questions the next they’ll tell u the same one for years. Still don’t know the limitations of vr and if somebody says maybe they don’t know well at this stage...that’s a problem no?
There's definitely something odd. Like i can't be the only one that thinks it weird that they used that TGS stage demo for two different events in different places.

Like at this stage it's like, there are 3 months left in this year and we don't have a solid beta yet. What is going on breh!??

Ot title needs to be "Dreams |OT| A Hideo Kojima Game" because you see things, you're excited and have tons of questions, and its coming in about 10 years lol.

There's definitely something odd. Like i can't be the only one that thinks it weird that they used that TGS stage demo for two different events in different places.

Like at this stage it's like, there are 3 months left in this year and we don't have a solid beta yet. What is going on breh!??

Ot title needs to be "Dreams |OT| A Hideo Kojima Game" because you see things, you're excited and have tons of questions, and its coming in about 10 years lol.
Here’s the thing to....we don’t know what this beta has lol. I can’t explain the details of the beta to anybody because we still know nothing tomorrow starts October how long y’all gonna say later this year it’s utterly ridiculous at this point