FIA Formula One 2018 |OT| Halo: Racing Evolved

I think Lewis earned his status throughout the season and this takes little away from his 5th title. My issue is simply with the double standards - for the better part of this century Ferrari have been criticized for team orders, but nobody gave half the fucks when McLaren, Red Bull, Renault, Mercedes, etc. did it throughout the years. This is the reality of F1, it just becomes particularly jarring when there are no overtakes due to regulations being trash and half the on-track switches therefore happen to be orchestrated.
If you go back and see the reaction to when Ferrari have pulled team orders, it’s been like the end of the sport

In the end I don't think it will be worth Mercedes giving up this goodwill for 7 points.

I think Lewis earned his status throughout the season and this takes little away from his 5th title. My issue is simply with the double standards - for the better part of this century Ferrari have been criticized for team orders, but nobody gave half the fucks when McLaren, Red Bull, Renault, Mercedes, etc. did it throughout the years. This is the reality of F1, it just becomes particularly jarring when there are no overtakes due to regulations being trash and half the on-track switches therefore happen to be orchestrated.
Because Ferrari set the precedent. If they did it this year then there wouldn't be a world-ending outcry except from Raikkonen fans.

People team orders are normal and imo there is nothing wrong with using them when only one driver has a realistic chance to become champion.
I can somehow understand that Bottas is angry about it, but maybe he should think about why he has way fewer points than Hamilton does.

People team orders are normal and imo there is nothing wrong with using them when only one driver has a realistic chance to become champion.
I can somehow understand that Bottas is angry about it, but maybe he should think about why he has way fewer points than Hamilton does.
Realistically there was almost no reason not to revert them back in the last lap...

Bottas deserves the win but Hamilton deserves the championship. It’s a difficult situation to be asked to handover a result that you worked hard for.

The weird thing is that in the radio communication it didn’t come off like this was discussed beforehand. Hamilton was saying that his PU was hesitating, so it could mean that he needs to change it and take a grid penalty (like Bottas after Russia last season). In this case it makes sense that Mercedes would mitigate that loss of points with this decision.

Realistically there was almost no reason not to revert them back in the last lap...
Because they made the choice so stick with it. There's a 50 point gap to Vettel now with 5 races left.

The podium was like someone died in the race. Like they have to fake the shame publicly for using team orders.

There's no reason why Bottas should be allowed to win while the title is open for Hamilton at this point. He'll be allowed to go off in the last few races after the title is decided.

Bottas should take this as a lesson and be closer in the championship next time, because Merc has let their drivers race before. I doubt he would have been told to move over if they were 1 and 2 in the championship.

It's a team sport though, even with individual championships, and I have no problem with team orders.

How many more times is DOTD going to go to a top 3 team driver who just easily breezed past division 2. It's really not worth celebrating all those overtakes.

Should be Leclerc for me. He's going to be a proper wildcard next season.

Bottas should take this as a lesson and be closer in the championship next time, because Merc has let their drivers race before. I doubt he would have been told to move over if they were 1 and 2 in the championship.

It's a team sport though, even with individual championships, and I have no problem with team orders.
It's all about the season start.

He started poorly with crashing in qualifying for Australia and lost out on a few early season wins due to poorly timed safety cars, bad strategies, punctures, or failures. Ferrari has also been pretty good as well. Bottas still wasn't put into support role until Germany or Hungary really.

Last edited:
What is this meme you keep trying to make happen?
It's no meme. It's the truth. Hamilton is winning a WDC with the worst car of the grid. You didn't know? That has been the "narrative" since months. And as i top paid engineer with inside info from Marussia Mercedes i can confirm it. This guy is something else. I wonder where he can find 20 km / h on the straight with his feet.

It's no meme. It's the truth. Hamilton is winning a WDC with the worst car of the grid. You didn't know? That has been the "narrative" since months. And as i top paid engineer with inside info from Marussia Mercedes i can confirm it. This guy is something else. I wonder where he can find 20 km / h on the straight with his feet.
I know you Tifosi have to find comfort in something but it’s a bit early to be hitting the booze this hard

Ricciardo has gone from an A list driver to B list for me. His career will most likely die at Renault. Such a goddamn shame.
Max would have still beaten him considerably in this race thanks to all the good overtaking, but he drove the whole race with damage from a first lap incident and got his nose changed at the late pitstop.

Ferrari didn’t achieve the results that they arguably should have. Hamilton was not saying things that were untrue about their potential. I feel like he pushed this narrative to motivate himself. He performs at his best when he is on the ropes.

Ricciardo has gone from an A list driver to B list for me. His career will most likely die at Renault. Such a goddamn shame.
He was nowhere in the race but had front wing damage from lap 1 that wasn't addressed until his pit stop late in the race. He still finished a position behind Verstappen in the end, so nothing that horrible really.

Last edited:
I'd like Sky to keep Di Resta in the booth. Mostly because he can pronounce LeClerc.

Man that race was terrible. First time this year that Ferrari had decent strategy but it feels like their car is getting weaker throughout the season while Mercedes has gotten better.
Same story as last year. Ferrari has the advantage, then the team makes mistakes, Vettel makes mistakes and finally the factory makes mistakes.

Tifosi salt is best salt.

Year 5 into the V6 Hybrid era and one thing is becoming increasingly clear: Mercedes is likely going to beat Ferrari's streak of 6 WCC/ 5 WDC in a row. (Though realistically it would have been 6 WDC without Schumacher's broken leg)

Missed out on the race, as I was out and about all afternoon.

Annoying to see team orders, especially considering Vettel wasn’t really giving Hamilton anything to worry about, and equally annoying to hear, “it has been a difficult day for you and for us” from Wolff however, a Mercedes 1-2 was seemingly always on the cards at Sochi.

Nice to see #blessed happily willing to swap trophies with Bottas though!

I’m looking forward to the Japanese Grand Prix next weekend, and live on Channel 4 too.

Last edited:
Annoying to see team orders, especially considering Vettel wasn’t really giving Hamilton anything to worry about, and equally annoying to hear, “it has been a difficult day for you and for us” from Wolff however, a Mercedes 1-2 was seemingly always on the cards at Sochi.
You saying not giving him anything to worry about, but they did their best with strategy and managed to pass Hamilton with the undercut. I'm still not clear whether it was a genuine Vettel mistake, or Mercedes secret engine mode, which let him get back passed so quick.

But given they then spent the rest of the race within a few seconds of one another it does make sense to move the non-WDC driver in to the more vulnerable position. If Bottas has been able to pull a gap from Vettel I'm certain they wouldn't have switched them.

You saying not giving him anything to worry about, but they did their best with strategy and managed to pass Hamilton with the undercut. I'm still not clear whether it was a genuine Vettel mistake, or Mercedes secret engine mode, which let him get back passed so quick.

But given they then spent the rest of the race within a few seconds of one another it does make sense to move the non-WDC driver in to the more vulnerable position. If Bottas has been able to pull a gap from Vettel I'm certain they wouldn't have switched them.
Just to clarify, I only watched a highlights reel, not the whole race itself!

You are right in saying that it makes sense to move this years potential WDC clear from his nearest rival, but it is just the manner of how Wolff attempts to explain his reasons to Bottas after the race as well as potentially harming the teams atmosphere.

To be fair, I don’t have any favourites.

I just enjoy watching the F1 on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Year 5 into the V6 Hybrid era and one thing is becoming increasingly clear: Mercedes is likely going to beat Ferrari's streak of 6 WCC/ 5 WDC in a row. (Though realistically it would have been 6 WDC without Schumacher's broken leg)
Since we're talking ifs and whats, make it 7. Schumacher would have had 98 without Coulthard intentionally making him crash in Spa from the lead (he admitted it years later). But yeah, Mercedes will break quite some records.

You are right in saying that it makes sense to move this years potential WDC clear from his nearest rival, but it is just the manner of how Wolff attempts to explain his reasons to Bottas after the race as well as potentially harming the teams atmosphere.

To be fair, I don’t have any favourites.

I just enjoy watching the F1 on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
It's like they're ashamed of doing it. They told Bottas that Hamilton had to get by because of tire blister concerns instead of just saying what it was. Then everyone acted down like someone died. It is what it is and is legal. Mercedes is doing what Ferrari should have done to win the championships.

Since we're talking ifs and whats, make it 7. Schumacher would have had 98 without Coulthard intentionally making him crash in Spa from the lead (he admitted it years later). But yeah, Mercedes will break quite some records.
To be fair, Schumi gets no sympathy from most when it comes to the words "intentional" and "crash".

To be fair, Schumi gets no sympathy from most when it comes to the words "intentional" and "crash".
I'm a big Schumacher Fan, and even I know he won '94 by hitting Hill's car in the right spot to make him retire, never mind the countless other times he bend/break the rules to win.

That really is just one side of a much bigger story. Ricciardo beat Max the last seasons, and yet Marko and co. always favoured Verstappen. The treatment Ricciardo got despite outscoring Max was not ideal to put it mildly. There was no way he was staying regardless of the results this year.
Last year Max was out driving Ricciardo more than this year, especially early season. If you look back at the points it doesn't show, but Max really had a lot of bad luck last year. This year he started behind in points because of 'incidents' he was 'involved' in, with his biggest mistake being his crash at Monaco.
Last year it wasn't just the amount of DNF Max had, but also some bad luck with safety cars and dropping out on his good races, where Danny had some issues on his bad races, which made up the point difference in the end. It was no surprise that last year Red Bull was happy with Max' performance, and kept saying he would do well once his bad luck ended.

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't people give Ferrari shit this year for NOT giving preference to Seb in key strategic situations? I think even I said as much at Monza for Q/Lap 1.

I'm sure this has been mentioned too, but Max in the first few laps was like me in F1 2018 on easy mode lol

Lololololol its so funny when people dismiss a driver's history and only judge him based on his last few races. Coincidentally he already has signed for another team, he doesn't care to push anymore and RBR have shifted focus on their no1 driver which is understandable