Final Fantasy 7 Remake for PS5 would be preferable, right?

edit: shit, I meant PS5. Dammit. ://

This isn't really a thread about estimating when and on which platform FF7R will launch on but more what'd you'd prefer.

At this point given the nebulous state FF7R is in and next-gen being right around the corner and the fact that 7R isn't being developed with SE's Luminous engine but instead likely Unreal 4, moving those tools to next-gen architecture wouldn't be an insurmountable challenge, relatively.

We're so far into this generation and although console games can still very much surprise us visually, we already know what FF7R will look like in this gen. Saving it for a surprise boost in fidelity for next-gen would be pretty incredible.

The last substantial thing we've heard about the title is that "it is actually in development", says Tetsuya Nomura. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-16-final-fantasy-7-remake-actually-in-development

Thoughts?

PS55 is an accurate time frame.

sorry, I kid.

Sure, I mean, we are so close that it would be better to use all the capabilities of the PS5 from the start.
(I'm 100% sure it will also be on the PS4 though).

Releasing it on the PS5 exclusively would be a mistake. It should be cross-platform at best. If the game comes out in 2019 like I expect it to, it'll be PS4 only but with a 2020 PS5 launch upgrade.

I expect it. Would be a hell of a launch title for next gen if so, every PS5 owner would have it. Though if it goes next gen, I wouldn't be surprised if they renegotiated their deal with Sony to get it multiplatform immediately.

Releasing it on the PS5 exclusively would be a mistake. It should be cross-platform at best. If the game comes out in 2019 like I expect it to, it'll be PS4 only but with a 2020 PS5 launch upgrade.
Nah, skip ps4, get people to buy PS5 in droves. Would help in japan too.

How is this in any way preferable? So we need to wait on another platform AND deal with the fact that it'll be episodic when the original game was given to us in full?

Even if you argue cross-platform, how is FFVIIR going to take advantage of the new hardware?

I have no idea why you expect 2019.
Because they've been working on it for awhile. It's not even the whole original game. I know the CyberConnect2 disaster affects this but they should be ready by Fall 2019. Q4 2019 is big for them financially too according to their reports. I expect it and the Avengers game will be out between Fall 2019-Spring 2020.

True the install base wouldn't compare at all.
That's what I'm thinking. Plus, they CANNOT compete with Cyberpunk 2077. They will get smoked by that game if it comes out at the same time. It's gotta be 2019 and on PS4 or the sales potential will go down.

The second they moved the project to a internal SE Japan team you had to know that shit wasnt coming out until 2022 at the earliest.

How is this in any way preferable? So we need to wait on another platform AND deal with the fact that it'll be episodic when the original game was given to us in full?

Even if you argue cross-platform, how is FFVIIR going to take advantage of the new hardware?
It'd be cool if the in-game visuals matched Advent Children's at 4k 60fps.

Because they've been working on it for awhile. It's not even the whole original game. I know the CyberConnect2 disaster affects this but they should be ready by Fall 2019. Q4 2019 is big for them financially too according to their reports. I expect it and the Avengers game will be out between Fall 2019-Spring 2020.

That's what I'm thinking. Plus, they CANNOT compete with Cyberpunk 2077. They will get smoked by that game if it comes out at the same time. It's gotta be 2019 and on PS4 or the sales potential will go down.
If it was a 2019 title they would have shown it at their conferenfe this year at E3 imo

No way in hell would it be a next gen exclusive. It will be PS4/Xbone/PS5/XbTwo. The first 2 years of PS4 were mostly crappy/mediocre at best exclusives with most games multiplatform with prior gens. FF7 Remake Part 1 I think will be a 2020 or 2021 title with PS5 likely launching Oct/Nov 2020.

At this point yeah, they’ll just tell everyone that the only way they can create the entire game is through ps5, so they can get away from that episodic mess

It'd sell a ton of PS5's though!
It would. I can't deny that. Sony's first and third party exclusives have been shown to move units. I can see the thinking behind it. I just wouldn't want them to go that route without making the game look truly next gen. I don't want it to be a PS4 HD Remaster kind of game but without ever being on the PS4.