Final Fantasy 7 Remake for PS5 would be preferable, right?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino - Snake is in Smash
Fuck, I hope I don't gotta wait that long.

But in all seriousness. I fully expect the first part will be cross-gen with the next parts next-gen only.

It'll be on PS55 and still broken up into ten pieces and our great grandchildren will be arguing how true development actually started in the year 2200. The past 180 years were just conceptual beginnings.

It's probable that it's going to be on PS5 at this point. PS5 could be out by 2020 and I think it's unlikely that the remake will be out before then. If FF7 comes out in 2020 it will be cross gen, or there will be a next gen port in 2021. If it comes out 2021 or after I'd expect it to just be PS5.

My title has a typo in it, but I do expect that's when SE will announce FF8 Remake. Finally, it will be Squall's time.

I really wonder what's going on with the episodic stuff. I think they know that fracturing FFXV into a movie, anime, DLC and main game hurt it critically, and I think they know that episodic games don't usually do too well commercially.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they scrapped the episodic plan, release a really big single player game, and have some sort of fun, addicting grind with multiplayer elements that they use to support post-launch content purchases.

I'm guessing Part 1 will be cross-platform with the other ones being PS5 only. What I'm wondering is if they're going to re-do the assets for the parts that would theoretically launch for next-gen consoles only...Otherwise I can see the graphics potentially sticking out when compared to other PS5 releases.

There’s no point debating the inevitable.

This isn’t coming out in 2019. And unless it’s March 2020 and cross-gen, it’ll probably be PS5 exclusive.

I'm guessing Part 1 will be cross-platform with the other ones being PS5 only. What I'm wondering is if they're going to re-do the assets for the parts that would theoretically launch for next-gen consoles only...Otherwise I can see the graphics potentially sticking out when compared to other PS5 releases.
That would be such a scumbag move. Why only release episode 1 in crossplatform, and then screw over the people who bought the PS4 copy?

Remember, Nomura had Versus XIII for six years before it was given to Tabata. It took four years after that to release. And it’s taking three years after release to finish adding content.

That gives us an approximate release date of 2025, with all of the cutscenes added two season passes later in 2028.

Grizzly

Bear of Love
Part 1 could be cross gen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game came out completely to next game only in the end.

Don't expect part 1 to come out until Early 2020 at the very earliest imo. Late 2019/Early 2020 could had happened if CyberConnect2 didn't happen.

I don't know, I look at recent PS4 games and I think they look absolutely incredible, and just a resolution/framerate bump for the PS5 would be more than enough.

I don't mind if they do make it PS5 only, though. It's just that I can boot up KH II on my PS4 and I still think it looks great and plays wonderfully. If FFVII Remake is as good as KH II, they can release it on the PS2 for all I care.

I don't know, I look at recent PS4 games and I think they look absolutely incredible, and just a resolution/framerate bump for the PS5 would be more than enough.

I don't mind if they do make it PS5 only, though. It's just that I can boot up KH II on my PS4 and I still think it looks great and plays wonderfully. If FFVII Remake is as good as KH II, they can release it on the PS2 for all I care.
I think the real strength of PS5 will be system memory. They’ll be able to render stuff that would make a PS4 sound like it’s ready for takeoff.

That would be such a scumbag move. Why only release episode 1 in crossplatform, and then screw over the people who bought the PS4 copy?
I wouldn't put it past square and frankly speaking, just the sheer development time would mandate it. Assuming they intend to release the game as a trilogy and somehow figure out a way to release an episode per year (which, come on...its square...) that would put episode 3 at a least the second year of the PS5 lifecycle. Lets be generous and say 2 years per episode after the first one? Thats 4 years into the new console's lifecycle. The PS4 will be old news by then.

I’m predicting that the episodic thing will be scrapped.

Nomura is very impulsive (he once wanted Versus XIII to be a musical after watching Les Miserables). And he made the episode comments when Square Enix was first experimenting with episodic with Hitman and Life Is Strange. The recent decline of the episodic format will probably kill his plan.

FF7 as a launch exclusive for PS5 is probably the only thing that could get me to adopt a PS5 early. I learned my lesson last time buying a PS4 at launch while hoping Persona 5 and FF15 would happen shortly after.

It could end up being like MGSV. A functional version on the console it was announced for and then an improved version with a higher stable frame rate and resolution combo for the PS5.

At this point yes. That way all the episodes will be roughly equal tech-wise. Sony would likely have to drop some serious cash to secure PS5 exclusivity and skip PS4 though

If it must be cross platform. Please 4K/60. Checkerboarded/reprojected/temoporally upsampled/ you name it 4K is also welcome, but depending on how actiony it gets, 60fps is a must.

I’m predicting that the episodic thing will be scrapped.

Nomura is very impulsive (he once wanted Versus XIII to be a musical after watching Les Miserables). And he made the episode comments when Square Enix was first experimenting with episodic with Hitman and Life Is Strange. The recent decline of the episodic format will probably kill his plan.
LOL what?

EDIT: Holy shit, you weren't joking. But the only issue is did the episodic plan come from Nomura or higher ups?

PS4... PS5... the game is gonna be technically incredible whatever it releases on. That I have no doubt.

If it’s still a multiple part thing, I fully believe PS5 will get the entire ‘definitive’ package.

Better cross-gen than solely a PS5 title .. I'd hate that TBH.
That would be a fucking nightmare. Release to the world that you can do to the game with current tech one gen, finally reveal that you're going to do it and provide footage another gen, actually release the entire thing another gen.