Final Fantasy 7 Remake for PS5 would be preferable, right?

It could end up selling the console if its exclusive and then people will nitpick it to death and curse Square and Sony on whatever social media is relevant in 2022

I'm sure they'll keep re releasing the games every new gen until they actually finish the remake. Then they'll release a compilation with all parts. Then, I'll buy that on a sale.

I'm assuming that next year the PS5 will be announced and then released in 2020, it's pretty much inevitable that FF7 Remake is a PS5 game. Now if they can get it out as a launch title that would be pretty killer (though I doubt even that will happen)

Its probably going to be a PS5 game for all the reasons others have said.

But why is it preferable? If we want our video games to look their best - doesn't that mean we should never release them because technology is always getting better? There will always be a better look version in the future. Besides, If it comes out early in a console lifetime The game could either run poorly due to bad optimisation or fail to take full advantage of the new console because the tech is new. If you want the best looking version of a game, you may as well wait for a next-gen port in the future or go look at PC mods.

Games are launch titles to sell consoles first and foremost not because they are so demanding that they need new tech to run as designed. Nothing really needs to be a next-gen release (instead of a current-gen one) except for financial reasons - games are meant to make money after all.
We are measuring the time left between now and the next consoles launching and using that to gauge the window within which FF7R can launch, and I believe it's a narrow enough window and the likelihood of it not happening is high enough that I would rather it launch on the PS5 so it won't be left behind. It's too large a title to be outclassed by the shiny new games launching on PS5.

I expect episode 1 will be on ps4, episode 2 will be cross gen (with a ps5 special edition of episode 1 for double dipping) and episodes 3 onwards be ps5 only.

Given how cagey they've been with direct feed footage, how they started over with in-house developers, and how long these people take to get anything done, I think it was a very safe bet to assume that it'll be a next gen game.

Preferable would be a single game with no episodes. But we're not getting that, so might as well split the episodes across gens. Whatever.

We are measuring the time left between now and the next consoles launching and using that to gauge the window within which FF7R can launch, and I believe it's a narrow enough window and the likelihood of it not happening is high enough that I would rather it launch on the PS5 so it won't be left behind. It's too large a title to be outclassed by the shiny new games launching on PS5.
I doubt it would get left behind especially given Square's history with Versus XIII and XV's development. Hypothetically, I think there would be no problem with it releasing next year and then in 2020 or whatever as an upgraded port. FFVIIR is in a weird state because we don't know how far it is along and a PS5 release doesn't seem too far fetched. I just disagree that Square should (hypothetically) delay development just to be a launch title because that somehow translates into a better game (That is, more than just a visual upgrade). If it was done in a month I'd say a PS4 version would be good given that a 2 year+ wait for a better looking game isn't exactly "preferable".

But it doesn't matter because at the rate they're going it'll be a PS5 game, cross-gen maybe if Square thinks they've invested too much just to change platforms now.

Talal

Unbreakable
I think first episode will be cross-gen and the others will only come out on PS5. We don't know anything about the game now tho, not sure if the episodes are still a thing.

edit: shit, I meant PS5. Dammit. ://

This isn't really a thread about estimating when and on which platform FF7R will launch on but more what'd you'd prefer.
At this stage, given how little we've seen, I'd think PS5 is perhaps more likely, and I think it'd be a better game if that happened... but I don't think I'd prefer it - and you can blame The Last Guardian for that.

While its status as a game is independent of this, I was very uncomfortable how The Last Guardian was used in promotion for the PS3 but didn't actually appear until the PS4. Sure, it's not uncommon for games late in the cycle to jump generations, or at least be cross-gen, but TLG was formally announced in 2009, and was initially teased earlier than that; that's an awfully long time to string people along with games that don't release.

Don't get me wrong; that's one game, in isolation, and the PS3 was a console that went far beyond that single title - but FF7R jumping to PS5 would be the same principle but with a much higher-profile title, and I think that's starting to establish an uncomfortable precedent. And, from another direction, I do wonder if this is something Sony want to avoid in the future; if this *were* to happen for FF7R, I can't help but think that there might be a segment of the audience who might treat the big early E3 reveals as boy-who-cried-wolf moments; "Let's guess which of these teasers won't actually see the light of day until the PS6!". That's potentially detrimental to their brand.

I doubt it would get left behind especially given Square's history with Versus XIII and XV's development. Hypothetically, I think there would be no problem with it releasing next year and then in 2020 or whatever as an upgraded port. FFVIIR is in a weird state because we don't know how far it is along and a PS5 release doesn't seem too far fetched. I just disagree that Square should (hypothetically) delay development just to be a launch title because that somehow translates into a better game (That is, more than just a visual upgrade). If it was done in a month I'd say a PS4 version would be good given that a 2 year+ wait for a better looking game isn't exactly "preferable".

But it doesn't matter because at the rate they're going it'll be a PS5 game, cross-gen maybe if Square thinks they've invested too much just to change platforms now.
The vibe I'm getting from this thread is that a 2019 release is pretty unrealistic. I could see the first episode maybe being released at the tail end of next year but that's assuming they're even still keeping the episodic release plan. I think realistically, a 2 year wait even for the PS4 release of the game is a safe bet to make, given the turnaround time for FF15 once it actually entered development and not just pre-production.

In any case, I'm staunch in wanting to buy it for the PS5.

Yes, while it's bad practice that Sony & Square have once again promised an exclusive Playstation FF title & moved it to another system, there is zero point remaking FF7 under the confines of PS4's very slow CPU & quickly outdated GPU. Even if PS5 is underpowered, a 4 core Ryzen at 3ghz~ & a Vega 64 tier GPU, that as a base line will give them so much room to make areas like Midgar come alive.

At this stage, given how little we've seen, I'd think PS5 is perhaps more likely, and I think it'd be a better game if that happened... but I don't think I'd prefer it - and you can blame The Last Guardian for that.

While its status as a game is independent of this, I was very uncomfortable how The Last Guardian was used in promotion for the PS3 but didn't actually appear until the PS4. Sure, it's not uncommon for games late in the cycle to jump generations, or at least be cross-gen, but TLG was formally announced in 2009, and was initially teased earlier than that; that's an awfully long time to string people along with games that don't release.

Don't get me wrong; that's one game, in isolation, and the PS3 was a console that went far beyond that single title - but FF7R jumping to PS5 would be the same principle but with a much higher-profile title, and I think that's starting to establish an uncomfortable precedent. And, from another direction, I do wonder if this is something Sony want to avoid in the future; if this *were* to happen for FF7R, I can't help but think that there might be a segment of the audience who might treat the big early E3 reveals as boy-who-cried-wolf moments; "Let's guess which of these teasers won't actually see the light of day until the PS6!". That's potentially detrimental to their brand.
FF15's development is a similar story. Went from PS3 to PS4 and I'm sure a lot of PS3s were sold based on the promise of FFVersus13 being on that platform. But that should have been a signpost for what would happen and likely will happen with FF7R, given modern SE's development issues. They've established precedent and at this point consumers have been practically trained to expect this from them.

In any case though, I feel that pain and I know that not everyone has the means to just buy a new console for a game they really wanted for a long time. On the other hand though, I can't help but want what I want.

Last edited:
If it is still episodic the first will be cross gen in 2020 and the remanent episodics only next gen,if it is a full only game we will see it only on ps5/scarlett/pc on 2023

I wouldn't mind playing every single one of them on a PS4.

I mean, god, I don't feel as if I can get rid of my PS3, and I don't want to give up up my quiet PS4 ... It adds up. These things are huge now, and the idea of owning more hardware to play these games fills me with dread. Maybe I'll feel differently when the final installment is released and I'm in my mid thirties or something.

The vibe I'm getting from this thread is that a 2019 release is pretty unrealistic. I could see the first episode maybe being released at the tail end of next year but that's assuming they're even still keeping the episodic release plan. I think realistically, a 2 year wait even for the PS4 release of the game is a safe bet to make, given the turnaround time for FF15 once it actually entered development and not just pre-production.

In any case, I'm staunch in wanting to buy it for the PS5.
I think late 2019/early 2020 would be realistic for the first part (whatever their current release structure is). It's worth noting that SE's recent financial report showed they're expecting a huge spike in income for the fiscal year from April 2019 to April 2020. I can only imagine this means that either FFVIIR Part 1 and/or Avengers releases in that period. I don't see any other games that could cause such a spike, tbh.

I’m predicting that the episodic thing will be scrapped.

Nomura is very impulsive (he once wanted Versus XIII to be a musical after watching Les Miserables). And he made the episode comments when Square Enix was first experimenting with episodic with Hitman and Life Is Strange. The recent decline of the episodic format will probably kill his plan.
But LiS and Hitman are not comparable at all. FFVIIR's "episodes" are full games that are probably ~2 years apart, basically like the modern Tomb Raider trilogy or Mass Effect 1-3.

But the only issue is did the episodic plan come from Nomura or higher ups?
Nomura and Kitase explained the creative decision behind the split. If they tried to get the whole game on modern AAA level of fidelity in one single game in reasonable time they would've had to make an abridged version of it and they didn't want that - instead they want to even flesh it out more in parts:
Kitase:
One thing that we wanted to be clear about during this weekend to accompany the new trailer was the scale of this project. We wanted to tell you this now and not in the future so that you’d share our vision for what we want to deliver. The biggest reason why we haven’t done a remake until now is because it’s a massive undertaking to reconstruct FINAL FANTASY VII from the ground up with the current technology. Producing a proper HD remake of FINAL FANTASY VII that maintains the same feeling of density of the original would result in a volume of content that couldn’t possibly fit into one instalment.

We’ve seen everyone’s comments and reactions to the news that FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be a multi-part series and many have speculated correctly as to the reason why we have made this decision. If we were to try to fit everything from the original into one remake instalment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version of FINAL FANTASY VII. We knew none of you would have wanted that.

I hope that by explaining a little more about our design decisions that you can appreciate the size of this project and what we have planned for this remake. Going beyond the scale and depth of the world, narrative and gameplay from the original to deliver something that feels familiar yet new. As I said before, we like delivering surprises. :)

Source.
“From the beginning, we thought a Final Fantasy VII remake would be bigger than a single release,” the game’s original director Yoshinori Kitase told Dengeki Online.

“If you did get it into a single release, there would be things we’d have to put into a shortened compilation,” Tetsuya Nomura, FFVII’s character designer, added. “Since we thought there would be stuff we would probably have to pare down and supplemental things we probably couldn’t add, we decided to divide it up, concluding that we have to do a remake that’s fully packed with content.”

Source.

Nomura wanted to do a "A World of the Versus Epic" thing with multiple games for Versus XIII/FFXV too, until Tabata was brought in and tried to streamline everything into one single game instead.
Nomura: But in the trailer it says, “A World of the Versus Epic”… implying that it was a piece of a larger epic. Final Fantasy XV will come to a single climax, but as for the story, I plan to continue it. [...]

When I’m working on something of this density, it becomes something extraordinarily grandiose. I had thought to cut down the volume and density, but if I did, then it wouldn’t be what I wanted it to become. Because of that, I’m considering the idea of a Final Fantasy XV compilation to make it complete.

Source.
Tabata: “Quite some time has passed now… After we had switched from Versus to XV, the first decision we made was to make sure that FFXV would have a complete, coherent story in one game. That was an important decision—one made at the company level, too. So I started thinking about how we could get a full, coherent story in a single game. And the crux of that was which elements from Versus we could carry over and which would not fit into the new structure as XV. [...] It was not easy to nail down what was essential for the story to be contained in one title.

Source.

They announced it for ps4 too early, and I quote Nomura for that, so it gives Japanese players incentives to drive console hardware up in Japan. I think it's very hypocrite from them to do that when they have the bad habit of announcing games to early, or even 1 generations of hardware in advance...

It was revealed for PS4, and some people have one for that game. It's only right and proper that the whole game is released on that platform. The "PS5" is vapourware right now, and its prospective owners aren't entitled to "more graphics" - Truthfully, it shouldn't be a thing until 2022 at the earliest. 2024, tbqh... It's actually rather disgusting that people on here are fine with the idea of the PS4 being ditched. Not everybody has the means to buy new/multiple platforms, and for those who bought a PS4 with a view to playing it, such moves would be a huge "Fuck You". I felt the same about those who wanted LOZ: Breath Of The Wild to miss the Wii U for the Switch alone, only to ask for the SM3DWorld and XCX ports.