Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| A Realm Reset

I love how it’s always the lalafell getting smashed in the face. Just how it should be ;)

So I’ve cleared Suzaku ex just under ten times now but already managed to nab my class weapon and the mount. Feels good man.

Makes me want to go back and do Tsukuyomi for that mount, since I was already about 50 runs in, but alas, everyone’s so busy with Suzaku now the queue won’t pop for a lowly DPS like me.
I have 15 kills and have never seen either the mount nor my weapon

I'm so tired of prog. The DPS requirement in o12s seems kinda insane. Everyone's schedules are messed up and I'm kinda doubting we'll clear before reset, if only because of hours we're gonna be able to put in. Also yesterday we must have stopped prog for like 15 minutes to discuss the boss positioning at the start of o12s because the melee didn't like the way it was facing. It's like... at that point we weren't even past the first mechanic yet and you're stopping raid to complain about this?! But whatever, we worked it out for the better. Just seemed so unimportant and annoying at the time.

Certain things within the group are maybe frustrating me a little more than they should be. Probably just the nature of prog and raiding so much in the last week, I suppose. I just wanna be dooooooooooone

I'm pretty sure the time he died by 2hp was because I didn't use veil like I was supposed to ooops. But yeah, he had been arguing about it since the first day of prog, haha. Kinda baffles me that people care about their dps that much during prog when we aren't even close to hitting enrage. It's always the melee dps too. I have a friend who was doing UwU prog with two melee that refused to meld vit. I subbed in once to heal and it was horrible. How many times do you have to die to frictions before you consider vit?!

Ahem.

Is there a guide on melding somewhere? This is the first time since I started that I’ll bother (because I should be able to get all of the top tome gear for the first time) and I’ve literally never done anything with it.

I have no high level crafting, and no FC that could do it for me.

Does anyone use ACT for custom triggers? In a longer fight spell timers I set up will suddenly trigger twice and I can not figure out why. I set it to whitelist with "you" and it still happens.

I set it up as this:

In the Custom Triggers tab I use the expression "You use Lucid Dreaming." and use the Timer or Tab name "Mana". Then I go to Show Timers -> Spell Timers and use AE/Skill/Custom Trigger name "Mana" and set the time etc.

Last edited:
Is there a guide on melding somewhere? This is the first time since I started that I’ll bother (because I should be able to get all of the top tome gear for the first time) and I’ve literally never done anything with it.

I have no high level crafting, and no FC that could do it for me.
For combat materia on normal dropped gear, you can just use the Materia Melder NPCs. There's one in every major town, generally close to the market board, or if there's no market board, somewhere. They're marked on the map with a materia icon(blue orb).

You only need crafting/a player melder if you want to overmeld stuff, which is only done on crafted gear(or well stuff that can be crafted you can technically overmeld normal gear you can buy from vendors, not that you'd want to). If that's what you need you'll just have to shout in towns until you find someone who can overmeld for you. They will ask for a fee since it's RNG based and wastes a lot of time, so while technically it doesn't really cost them anything it's just super annoying to overmeld stuff(can take like 10mins to meld one piece due to stupid RNG, and you'll want to prepare A TON of materias for it, and the menu is a pain in the ass to constantly repeat).

For combat materia on normal dropped gear, you can just use the Materia Melder NPCs. There's one in every major town, generally close to the market board, or if there's no market board, somewhere. They're marked on the map with a materia icon(blue orb).

You only need crafting/a player melder if you want to overmeld stuff, which is only done on crafted gear(or well stuff that can be crafted you can technically overmeld normal gear you can buy from vendors, not that you'd want to). If that's what you need you'll just have to shout in towns until you find someone who can overmeld for you. They will ask for a fee since it's RNG based and wastes a lot of time, so while technically it doesn't really cost them anything it's just super annoying to overmeld stuff(can take like 10mins to meld one piece due to stupid RNG, and you'll want to prepare A TON of materias for it, and the menu is a pain in the ass to constantly repeat).
Thanks for this. I’ll just use the NPC for now then, if a time comes that I want to min/max for progression I’ll be looking for another FC anyway.

They don't stack sadly. So if you have 2 bards in the group use them after the other one has used them. If it makes sense.
Ah okay thanks. I thought as much. I had been triggering buffs when it all lined up for me to maximise my deeps but now I'm prioritising when it makes sense for the rest of the party more. Bard is so fun though. There's just so much going on.

Even for Alphascape, the queue times as a healer are kinda long. I can't imagine everyone just doing savage.

Whelp, haven't found a party that could beat Alpha v4 normal yet. FML I guess....

Last edited:
Is it me or does having two WHMs suck? I was trying O9S again and during the EQ phase it was really fucking hard to top us off. It’s usually enough for me to use both Medicas or a combo of Medica 2 and Cure 3 and we’re good. But this time it was hard. I couldn’t tell if one of us just wasn’t putting enough work in or if two WHMs just sucks for that phase. Or in general.

So I just started this. I'm around level 21 now. Everything is very rote at this point. It's a solid mmorpg that streamlines a lot of the normal garbage but I feel like it doesn't do a bunch that's new. The quests are especially pretty garbage. What is the big draw for this game for those who have been playing for a while?

I don't think I've ever gone into a savage raid while doubling up on healer classes hmmm. Even noct AST+WHM play together nicely these days if the other WHM can't play SCH
I’ve gotten kicked out of a party for being a WHM before when the group already had a WHM. It wasn’t because that didn’t want dupes either. Someone specifically said two WHMs was a bad setup. At first I thought he was just being elitist but after today I’m wondering if he had a point.

I’ve gotten kicked out of a party for being a WHM before when the group already had a WHM. It wasn’t because that didn’t want dupes either. Someone specifically said two WHMs was a bad setup. At first I thought he was just being elitist but after today I’m wondering if he had a point.
If you have double WHM, you have no healer-provided party wide shielding or mitigation. Tank shields will be about it, and most people don't really understand how or when to effectively use tank shields so it's likely you'll see the shields blown on something trivial. Less mitigation means more damage getting through, meaning more to heal off post-AOE to get someone to full. At current gearing, things hurt the most they will all tier, so you're more likely to feel the lack of shields in 9 and 10 than you will in two months when everyone is i390.

That said, Earthquake phase should have been one of the spots double-WHM could be fairly strong if played together as you can combat the lack of shields with double Cure3s on the tank/healer stack. But it requires expecting to need more raw HPS in a couple of GCDs there than you would in any other pairing as there's no shields reducing party damage taken, no Indom/Star to help top off via oGCD, so it needs to be healed differently. A couple of cure3s from each healer would obliterate the debuff, but if both are trying to med II and medica and call it good (or one of them is tunneling single-target heals) you're gonna have a bad time.

Double WHM completely falls apart if you step in content where there's raid wide AOEs doing more damage than the players have health; this is usually Ultimate and the last floor or two of Savage, but it's not a problem double SCH or double AST would have, as both have access to on-demand party shielding.

Since I'd even say its extra undesirable in Savage in general. In a month or two it should be fine for O9S and once 4.5 comes out it should be fine for O10S.

Double WHM (Or really double stacking) won't ever fly in O11S because you use Tank LB to cheese the last peripheral synthesis and the healing in O12S is just insanely high.

If you have double WHM, you have no healer-provided party wide shielding or mitigation. Tank shields will be about it, and most people don't really understand how or when to effectively use tank shields so it's likely you'll see the shields blown on something trivial. Less mitigation means more damage getting through, meaning more to heal off post-AOE to get someone to full. At current gearing, things hurt the most they will all tier, so you're more likely to feel the lack of shields in 9 and 10 than you will in two months when everyone is i390.

That said, Earthquake phase should have been one of the spots double-WHM could be fairly strong if played together as you can combat the lack of shields with double Cure3s on the tank/healer stack. But it requires expecting to need more raw HPS in a couple of GCDs there than you would in any other pairing as there's no shields reducing party damage taken, no Indom/Star to help top off via oGCD, so it needs to be healed differently. A couple of cure3s from each healer would obliterate the debuff, but if both are trying to med II and medica and call it good (or one of them is tunneling single-target heals) you're gonna have a bad time.

Double WHM completely falls apart if you step in content where there's raid wide AOEs doing more damage than the players have health; this is usually Ultimate and the last floor or two of Savage, but it's not a problem double SCH or double AST would have, as both have access to on-demand party shielding.
I did notice that on the pull I used two Cure 3s, we healed a lot more, but we still died because we weren’t on the same page I guess. I honestly forget I have Cure 3 sometimes because some people don’t seem to stack.

Hot tail and Bomb snapshot / range are horseshit. I can't believe how far some of us get into the safe square and then half of us are dead when the tail animation finally happens. Training yourself into walking into effects that have barely or not even gone off is so counter intuitive.

With something like suzako it's a little easier because the colors and lines for the damage are clear, but the nidhogg bombs and tails arent and require going further in and out than you would expect. It's lead to some fustrating as hell prog.

Hot tail and Bomb snapshot / range are horseshit. I can't believe how far some of us get into the safe square and then half of us are dead when the tail animation finally happens. Training yourself into walking into effects that have barely or not even gone off is so counter intuitive.

With something like suzako it's a little easier because the colors and lines for the damage are clear, but the nidhogg bombs and tails arent and require going further in and out than you would expect. It's lead to some fustrating as hell prog.
So the way how my static does it is:

Shield: Grabs tether ASAP and runs to the third set of bomb spawns. Party: Move to second set of bombs.

Both: Drop AOE within first set of bombs. Run back to safety (First bomb and AOEs resolve). Then run inside (Second bombs resolve).

Shield: Will keep tether facing the same diagonal line the bombs were set up

Party: After second bombs resolve they will run off to the side avoiding third bomb explosion to dodge Hot Tail.

Its a really tough mechanic wall to get past. Alternatively you can just fuck the shield entirely and the guy who ends up with the tether can just resolve the mechanic and sac themselves to hot tail and keep the party safe.

Also yes bomb hitboxes suuuuuuuck

I rather like variations of Spyro Strat for Hot Tail phase because minimal movement for all involved.

That said, we also sit on LB3 because half the time people fuck up exaflares after anyways. Our super pro rule of thumb is to, if a healer is down out of Hot Tail (I get distracted easily lololol) drop a rez on them but don't have them take it during Exaflares. Take it at the end, healer LB3 everyone up, and everyone who died to both mechanics gets back up without weakness. It's obviously preferable if we just don't explode but like... pass.

I did notice that on the pull I used two Cure 3s, we healed a lot more, but we still died because we weren’t on the same page I guess. I honestly forget I have Cure 3 sometimes because some people don’t seem to stack.
One of the things about Earthquake phase that people don't always realize is that the Accretion debuff tanks/healers get also makes healing spells less effective. So while my average Earthly Star heals for 20k, when I have the Earthquake debuff it does 10k. You have to overheal there, more than the HP missing makes you think.

Last edited:
So the way how my static does it is:

Shield: Grabs tether ASAP and runs to the third set of bomb spawns. Party: Move to second set of bombs.

Both: Drop AOE within first set of bombs. Run back to safety (First bomb and AOEs resolve). Then run inside (Second bombs resolve).

Shield: Will keep tether facing the same diagonal line the bombs were set up

Party: After second bombs resolve they will run off to the side avoiding third bomb explosion to dodge Hot Tail.

Its a really tough mechanic wall to get past. Alternatively you can just fuck the shield entirely and the guy who ends up with the tether can just resolve the mechanic and sac themselves to hot tail and keep the party safe.

Also yes bomb hitboxes suuuuuuuck
Yup. As the leader of the group I'm going to make us do a version of this, but with bulwark duty going to corner of bomb 2 and running into mid since both resolve at same time, and the party baiting and dodging inside boss toward 3 > into 3 > diagonal to safe zone.

I don't remember how but I was talked into doing the in and out strat and it's just dumb. Hesitation and snapshotting kills people and consistency is more important than anything else in prog.

Hello World 2 is hilarious because all the stressing "No, guys, you really need to be more precise in positioning for HW1 if you want to be prepped for 2" does NOTHING to people.

For Exaflares we've just gotten to the point where we start hiding behind the first one.

Makes the Akh Morn stack easier honestly.
I'm talking about the ones right after Hot Tail that are paired with the baited AOEs and a Cauterize. If Hot Tail goes wonky people end up penning themselves into stuff or scattered in bizarre ways. Or, before we started holding the LB until the end of intermission, rezzing into mechanics that do no damage but give vulnerable.

Exa Akh Morns are generally less chaotic since fewer bodies into them, no Cauterize chunking off half the arena, no bait AOE shenanigans. Those are just find lane 1, let it get a few hits in, stack the party by the boss. The post Hot Tail ones are funnier.

Got to 9% enrage on an absolute meme pull. Phew. Got one more raid day left this week so maybe a clear is possible. MAYBE. Also as a side note, they should have made the door boss into a separate floor on its own. It's way too long, and final form Omega is far too short as a result (Beyond the two Hello Worlds there isn't much else happening. Feels a bit 'that's it??' after everything that was going on in the door boss)

Now you're making me scared of O12S part 2.
It's so uhhh. Unforgiving. Probably the best way to put it. One person out of position can snowball into a wipe within seconds. Everything hits like a truck too.

I honestly think pugs are gonna really struggle this tier because of the coordination required. But maybe it'll get easier as we gear up and 'pug strats' are developed (as always I suppose)

Last edited:
That last boss in The Burn sure was intense as a healer (at least it was for me). Was not prepared for how quickly the party's health bars melted to mechanics in that fight lol. I did enjoy it overall, but got a bit frustrating when I felt I was doing decently at keeping heals up but people were still dying (including me even though I thought I was avoiding those freezing debuffs). Guess I still need to get better.

Omg I won the suzaku dog.

I told myself I was out of the doggo farm game unless I magically won either this or the next primal dog in the first 10 kills before I get my token weapon and never do it again. Now I am trapped by my own convictions.

Fucking 50 more shinryu.

Does anyone know much about the game’s economy? The other day I bought those Quan pants in the Market Board for 200k. I remember these being anywhere from 700k to 2 mil a few months ago. A couple other sellers this time were still selling it for about a million so this guy stood out. Did its value just plummet and the other guys were selling it for too much or did this guy sell it for too little? I’m scared of putting it in my glamour dresser because I’m thinking of selling it later if I can sell it for a lot.

Does anyone know much about the game’s economy? The other day I bought those Quan pants in the Market Board for 200k. I remember these being anywhere from 700k to 2 mil a few months ago. A couple other sellers this time were still selling it for about a million so this guy stood out. Did its value just plummet and the other guys were selling it for too much or did this guy sell it for too little? I’m scared of putting it in my glamour dresser because I’m thinking of selling it later if I can sell it for a lot.
Once the new patch hit, the materials dropped more frequently, as the rarest materials became materials for the 4.4 glam set.

I've noticed for a lot of the crafted glam items that once a new patch hits the prices tend to drop pretty quickly (I'm guessing due to increased rate of material drops). I remember when I first started playing (around the time 4.1 hit) the Thavnairian wool dress and Ao Dai were both selling for 3-5 million gill on the MB. Once 4.2 hit the prices of both plummeted to the 1 mill range almost immediately. Last I checked the wool dress was down to 300k on my MB. Also noticing the same thing happening to the Quaintrelles ruffled dress and skirt now that 4.4 hit.

This isn't always a guarantee, as I've noticed other items stay at the same price for months even after new patches come and go. Ultimately these become demand and supply issues, and there's always going to be some variability depending what's popular or not popular on your server's MB.

I just made 2 mil off my first map run ever... what have I been missing out on
Maps are amazing, especially if you get in early and the new mats are still expensive.
I feel like this set hasn't been as good as the previous one - 1.6 or so mil max for the most expensive item which drops from time to time after the first few days vs. 3 mil after a few weeks, but it's still a great way to make money if you're not into crafting etc.

I was dead, but the group I was in made it to the DPS check in V9S. I've seen all the phases except that cyclone. Earthquake is my least favorite so far.

Speaking of O9S, I tried again tonight (and failed of course) but I notice this one thing keeps happening. Someone, I don’t know who, puts up some kind of shield on us during the Dark Crystal phase and the water shit does 0 damage to the dps. It’s not that I missed or anything. There was an actual red damage marker that said 0. On the last pull with this group every single dps died. I’m guessing it’s a tank that’s causing it.

Well got to 6% enrage in o12s tonight but couldn't get that week 2 clear. Week 3 dream is still alive I suppose.

We haven't raided that much, all things considered, but I'm shocked at how long it's taking my team (everyone has cleared UCoB/UwU) to nail down Hello World 2. I guess we're on alt jobs so that isn't helping much. But I feel like we're missing something obvious. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Man I wish I was healing

I just made 2 mil off my first map run ever... what have I been missing out on
Maps are great when you have a party willing to do it. And you can get decent amount of money from it. I still need to do the new ones or whatever this new roulette thingy is if I understood right Hopefully we get another map night this weekend :V *cough* Red plis *cough*

As I'm the Ultros mb crashing machine i can tell you that the best way nowadays to make money is in the first week of patch release. (Used to last 3/4 weeks) Why? Because everyone is focus on mqs / sidequest raid etc so no many aren't focus on wanting to make money but to clear content.
Crafting have become way too easy to do that you don't even need HQ items for anything now. Anyone can craft *hard* items . The problem comes when new people join the mb war and start undercutting without even wanting to make money... They undercut more than what they actually spent on mats.

I hit 1 billion twice now and all my money was made by crafting the new stuff as soon as big patch was released. I used to make 200 mill on the first 3 weeks of patch day when they introduce new crafting/war/mage gear, after that hardly making millions as everything will drop to 500k or 750k ( even less as the new drg 380 body sold for 120k on a second week )

They need to increase the difficulty of crafting or make mats harder to get so the economy of the game, at the very least , lasts for longer. This is one of the reasons why I haven't bothered to sell or craft on 4.4 ( I miss ooids farming $$$)

In resume the economy of the game depends on the undercutting. If you undercut by 1gil it will last for a long time. But if they undercut by millions, selling items will be worth nothing.

For non-raiding players: what do you do in FFXIV that you get the most enjoyment from?

I just quit raiding because work is a bit demanding at the moment and it's unfair on my raid group to hold them back when I can't raid. I'm a bit lost as to what exactly to focus on. Maybe crafting? I can pug extremes np but pugging raid seems a bit.. insane. I did it for second coil years back and it was very depressing.

You could probably pug O9S easily. Pugging O10S will likely be a bigger challenge and then anything after that will be both gear gated and clear gated though it is possible.

Uh. Crafting. Do weekly script turn ins and use the yellow/red script to meld though your profits won't be extreme anymore since the patch is 2 weeks old. Aside from that you can get into house decor and gearing up alt jobs.

I managed to do 9s and 10s through Party Finder on my alt, it's not that bad. Some parties still struggle with enrage on 9 and Hot Tail on 10 but good groups exist. If you're willing to take the loss on chests for your first clear it's even easier.

What should I be looking to meld as a warrior? Not currently raiding - just doing end game dungeons at the moment but as I grab genesis gear I might as well meld as if I was looking to tank harder content.

I’m guessing Strength/Vit mainly?

What should I be looking to meld as a warrior? Not currently raiding - just doing end game dungeons at the moment but as I grab genesis gear I might as well meld as if I was looking to tank harder content.

I’m guessing Strength/Vit mainly?
Strength on your accessories/right side; left side is STR capped already so needs secondaries melded in. WAR generally wants to stack Crit where they can, have enough skill speed to comfortably get their 5 Fell Cleaves inside Inner Release, and then meld Det elsewhere. Tenacity as a last-resort filler. DHit is to be avoided generally (IR Guarantees every hit in it is Crit + Direct Hit. The way crit works, having more Crit makes all your critical hits hit harder. DHit doesn't do this--so during IR all your Direct Hit melds do absolutely nothing, which makes the stat less worthwhile), but is marginally better than Skillspeed once you're over the 5 Fell Cleaves in IR threshold. Generally that threshold is somewhere between 1100 and 1200 skill speed depending on your latency.

Just to add on, I dont typically do much Defiance in dungeons. Its more of a thing used on big pulls for an initial Steel Cyclone (for threat) or in lieu of cooldowns (self sustain). Current EXDR basically amounts to light cooldowns + IR on first pull, heavy cooldowns + save IR (since on CD still) on the second, and then boss pull. That all said, your mileage may vary in healer or group DPS and things for how each pull goes; how much Deliverance use in trash pulls is largely a thing of comfort and there's not really a lot lost if you just keep up in Defiance and Steel Cyclone use vs Decimates. Bosses are by and large just the Unchained Tomahawk Equilibrium pull and then not in Defiance again as you don't really gain a lot. Especially with a lot of healing based off oGCDs that don't benefit from the Defiance bonus in the first place.

As for melds / skill speed, 1116 used to be the tier for comfort (2.38 GCD) since it makes the 5x GCD IR pretty lag resistant as long as you properly delay using IR until >50% of your GCD (aka, hit IR while your GCD is greyed out but over halfway back to being lit up). This tier of gearing makes things a little weird as we're pretty much drowning in Skill Speed so the spot to aim for may be a bit different since we'll be around 1400+ by default anyway.