Fire Emblem Heroes |OT| Armor Breeding Simulator

Randomness is what makes things like this interesting. Otherwise it's just a puzzle game.
Better to have boons and banes than the random stat level up from the main games. Imagine having a unit being royally screwed up by it and having to summon another one for a chance of better final stats.

I can't stand the Autobattle AI's insistence that it MUST do some action if the enemy is not in range. My brigade has a lot of heroes with Reposition, and since the AI has no concept of using Reposition to move units closer to enemies, it will instead throw them back into the rear. It's so stupid. I have to step in and take control before I time out because my troops can't reach the enemy fort in 10 turns.

You should only invest in IVs and stuffs if you are into Arena battles imp. For normal stuffs normal or even bad ivs units are already enough. Ivs in both pokemon and fire emblem are only for competitive play in the end
Even in Arena, bad IVs are more than usable due to how stacked the player phase is.

I know you mentioned it yourself, but I would still not use the Gamepedia hard list as an example, we don't even know if the op cares about arena
It was just a stress test to show that even in an environment with strong units, Sigurd's Defense bane won't significantly hold him back.

IVs are shit, but they are not remotely the unit ruining hindrance some people make them out to be. -Def on Sigurd is nothing in a game where ally support, seals, tactics, drives, and wards are a thing. You might not agree, but they absolutely are mitigated by the above, and it's something I can outright prove with math

It's a crude test using a crude set, but you can plainly see how little Sigurd is affected by this.

You're psyching yourself out if you let them prevent you from fully enjoying a unit. The worst IV is -Speed on a unit like Lewyn (because they need Speed seals to double), but even that can be worked around.
Don't worry, I'm not saying they ruin good units for me or I won't enjoy them if they have bad IVs or anything, as a f2p I don't have that luxury anyway lol. I pulled a -Atk Lewyn (who hilariously missed a few KOs by 1 or 2 hp) and I still had an absolute blast with him. Granted I was lucky enough to pull 2 more Lewyns with less detrimental IVs (+HP -Def) so I just merged them, but I would've still used him anyway even if I never got any replacements since I love his art and it's freaking Lewyn! Haven't had as much luck with Sigurd yet since I can't quite figure out a good team for him but he does perform well enough on horse emblem quests. It hasn't been a dealbreaker so far, but it doesn't change the fact that it never feels good to end up with a bad bane, it's a luck based mechanic with 0 player input on top of an already luck based system, it doesn't really contribute to "build variety" when all some banes accomplish is actively hinder your character's performance when compared to a neutral one (while an EV-like system effectively serves the same purpose and gives the player agency over how he wants to build the unity), and even if you enjoy using them you can't help but have that thought at the back of your head that "they could be better". I'm not even a min-max guy by any stretch of the imagination, I'm perfectly content with banes/boon that are neither particularly good nor detrimental (like my +Def - Res Reinhardt), but when it's something you know is gonna affect their designated role negatively it just leaves an unnecessary sour aftertaste. All I'm saying is that the game gains nothing from IVs that couldn't be accomplished by better alternatives, so it's just a poor mechanic and a pet peeve of mine. Honestly, I would be happy even with some exploitative "spend orbs to roll another set of IVs!" or "sacrifice a character to inherit their IVs!" solutions. Ally support is too fickle with the way I'm constantly changing up team comps to clear tough content, summoner support can only help a single unit at a time, and a +stat seal feels like a waste of a seal slot when you could be giving them a good skill to complement their kit (and also a waste of resources to upgrade early on since I have a bunch of important seals to forge/enhance and Sacred Coins are reeeally scarce).

At any case, what are some good units to inherit Special Spiral, Swift Sparrow or Odd Attack Wave? Still have one of my aforementioned extra Lewyns lying around and it feels like a bit of a waste to just merge him since he's not optimal IVs and I doubt I'll be lucky enough to ever finish a +10 Lewyn. Also have 2 extra Bikes lying around but don't really know who to feed them to. Maybe Hardin?

Last edited:
Don't worry, I'm not saying they ruin good units for me or I won't enjoy them if they have bad IVs or anything, as a f2p I don't have that luxury anyway lol. I pulled a -Atk Lewyn (who hilariously missed a few KOs by 1 or 2 hp) and I still had an absolute blast with him. Granted I was lucky enough to pull 2 more Lewyns with less detrimental IVs (+HP -Def) so I just merged them, but I would've still used him anyway even if I never got any replacements since I love his art and it's freaking Lewyn! Haven't had as much luck with Sigurd yet since I can't quite figure out a good team for him but he does perform well enough on horse emblem quests. It hasn't been a dealbreaker so far, but it doesn't change the fact that it never feels good to end up with a bad bane, it's a luck based mechanic with 0 player input on top of an already luck based system, it doesn't really contribute to "build variety" when all some banes accomplish is actively hinder your character's performance when compared to a neutral one (while an EV-like system effectively serves the same purpose and gives the player agency over how he wants to build the unity), and even if you enjoy using them you can't help but have that thought at the back of your head that "they could be better". I'm not even a min-max guy by any stretch of the imagination, I'm perfectly content with banes/boon that are neither particularly good nor detrimental (like my +Def - Res Reinhardt), but when it's something you know is gonna affect their designated role negatively it just leaves an unnecessary sour aftertaste. All I'm saying is that the game gains nothing from IVs that couldn't be accomplished by better alternatives, so it's just a poor mechanic and a pet peeve of mine. Honestly, I would be happy even with some exploitative "spend orbs to roll another set of IVs!" or "sacrifice a character to inherit their IVs!" solutions. Ally support is too fickle with the way I'm constantly changing up team comps to clear tough content, summoner support can only help a single unit at a time, and a +stat seal feels like a waste of a seal slot when you could be giving them a good skill to complement their kit (and also a waste of resources to upgrade early on since I have a bunch of important seals to forge/enhance and Sacred Coins are reeeally scarce).
Yeah don't get me wrong, IVs are purely there for greed and not much else. Some people shell out serious money for unit copies just to get the right IVs.

At any case, what are some good units to inherit Special Spiral, Swift Sparrow or Odd Attack Wave? Still have one of my aforementioned extra Lewyns lying around and it feels like a bit of a waste to just merge him since he's not optimal IVs and I doubt I'll be lucky enough to ever finish a +10 Lewyn. Also have 2 extra Bikes lying around but don't really know who to feed them to. Maybe Hardin?
Off the top of my head, Lilina and Ophelia work really well with Special Spiral. Also use your Bike on an EP melee unit you really like.

+10 number 5 is done. Marth

This all started from a joke where I threw distant counter on a -Spd Marth pitybreaker I had from all the way back in CYL1. It was a long road of not getting any freaking Marths for months at a time but here we are. Mr Helpful.

IVs can be annoying, yes. Some IV sets do limit certain builds on some heroes. A Def bane on a Myrrh with Great Flame for example does impact her performance. Or PAOlivia, i got one with an Atk bane ... boy is that Atk stat low now. I've had some mages survive her despite her having a Poison Dagger+. Oh well.

But for a big majority, i'd say IVs don't matter outside of making you angry if you're having a bad set. ^^

A Spellhardt kills things, +Atk or not. A Bravephraim kills things, +Atk or not ... you get the idea.

The funny thing is, for some heroes, i never seem to pull a good IV set. For example, for the legion of Lilina's i've pulled since launch, neither had my wanted IV set of +Atk / -Def. Or Ares, every single one i've pulled either had a bane in Atk, Spd or Def. I'll throw a party when the game finally remembers that Ares also has two additional stats to have banes on. ^^

Take it from me. I actually had the audacity to try to get a Laegjarn that wasn't -Atk. I started with 2 that were -Atk.

It took the 5th Laegjarn which needed 900 orbs to get a +Res/-HP one. That's right, I got 3 in 900 orbs and 2 of them were -Atk.

Seriously, don't summon for a better 5 star hero unless you're adamant about going all the way with merges.

Yeah you'll probably get something decent in 11 copies but before that though... you never know.

At the very least just use your F2P orbs, don't start paying for better IVs with money. I had it to burn and just wanted to see what would happen, kind of regret it lol

Soo ... who're you joining in this VG? First time i have not a single fav unit. Maybe i'll joing Lilina or Arvis, given how recent she's been added to the game, i definitely see Nina making it far.

At this point Grand Conquest, Forging Bonds and Tempest Trials are a boring way to grind in FEH for me. At least Dragalia Lost makes grinding interesting with coop, drop rates and certain events like rare monsters. But FEH it's just putting the game on Auto and pressing buttons when needed.

Also I like how Dragalia Lost has story chapters for each character. For FEH that would be a lot easier since you have already created characters with stories but instead we have to do a stupid grind mode for just 4 units every month.

I just wish IS could grab some ideas from Dragalia Lost, not necessarily the grind side but some good ideas from that game.
Practically all of those features are from Granblue (Cygames' main gacha game), like Fate Episodes for each character that even reward premium currency. There are even Cross Fates between specific characters (like Support conversations) that improve stats.

I've suggested a lot of this in last year's survey to no visible impact so far.

Wasn't planning to summon on this leg banner but I thought I'd give it a shot after the first circle. Saw 2 blues and a green. Tiki must have heard I +10'd Marth because she showed up, with the same IV as his, somehow.

Hooray for another arena season where I don't have to use Askrs.