Fitness |OT| A New Era Begins

There are still lots of good trainers out there. You can get an idea if the first thing they do is ask about injuries / health problems, check to see how you move, and take you through the basics of how to lift safely and with good form.

They do not tell you that you can only eat blue foods on a Wednesday, and that you need to twist / jerk as you deadlift.

Ugh good to know. Guess I'll start reading up online on this stuff as that trainer had no idea what he was talking about.
To be fair, you may do a five day a week program, but not because you need to beat the shit out of your muscles to keep them from recovering. Quite the opposite. You do work to tear them down, then get plenty of rest to let them rebuild. Depending on how your program is broken up determines the days of work. For instance, I started out doing a full body workout three days a week. I've since gone to four days and have considered a five day. Bigger muscle groups need more time to recover where smaller muscles can be worked many times a week. What determines the number of days is how you spread the volume out. So, for instance, I am doing a one hour session four days a week. I could make that six thirty minute sessions if I wanted by redistributing the work across more days. So it's not entirely wrong so much as misguided.

As far as nutrition, just eat right. You don't need magic potions or eating 32.6 grams of fat the first Wednesday of the sixth month. The idea is to have enough good stuff floating around your system when your body needs it. So intake of good quality food at any point in the day goes a long way. Eat when its convenient and just make sure its not all donuts and take out lol.

Getting back into the gym after a long ass hiatus. 3 months traveling, then like 2 weeks of lifting, then another 3 months off for traveling. Boy am I excited to lift again, all I could do while traveling was manual labour and body weight stuff (which is still awesome), but I didn't train a lot so I have lost a good 5-7 lbs of muscle for sure. Started this around 159, now about 153.

Knowing me I'll try to see how heavy I can lift still tomorrow. I am guessing:
squat: 275
dead: 295
bench: 185
OHP: 135

Woooo baby, let's go.

And they have those cool treadmills that go as fast as you can run! I'll have to try it out. End of workout sprintssssssss
Omg and rings! I like this gym.

I'm extremely jealous seing those OH press numbers. Anything above 90x3 is agonic for me and my 1 rep max is like 100 (45 Kg). Congrats for the progress.

I just started going to the gym about 6 weeks ago and I can say that I already feel alot healthier and better than ever. I am sort of wondering about nutrition though. I've always been a very skinny person and not very tall just 5'8 and 140 lbs). Any advise for those who have trouble gaining weight? I think I just kind of eat like a normal person, never skipping a meal (sometimes I have 2 warm meals a day, if the catering at work, prepped something I really like), 2 pieces of fruit (mostly apples) and 2 snacks every day, but I've never really seemed to gain much.

Quick question.

Does Bench Press affect your snatch? Or should it?

My trainer and I did bench press today, up to my max, two sets. Then one more set after that.

We tried to move onto snatch but I couldn't even get one done.

Are the muscles involved in bench press the same as Snatch?

Last week we did the reverse with snatch first and then bench press, that went a lot better.

I just started going to the gym about 6 weeks ago and I can say that I already feel alot healthier and better than ever. I am sort of wondering about nutrition though. I've always been a very skinny person and not very tall just 5'8 and 140 lbs). Any advise for those who have trouble gaining weight? I think I just kind of eat like a normal person, never skipping a meal (sometimes I have 2 warm meals a day, if the catering at work, prepped something I really like), 2 pieces of fruit (mostly apples) and 2 snacks every day, but I've never really seemed to gain much.
You're not eating enough. Roughly track your kcals through an app like MyFitnessPal then eat 500 calories more than that everyday.
Quick question.

My trainer and I did bench press today, up to my max, two sets. Then one more set after that.

We tried to move onto snatch but I couldn't even get one done.

Last week we did the reverse with snatch first and then bench press, that went a lot better.
There's only so much energy expedenture your body will generate over a certain period of time.

Always try to do your more technical lifts first unless you're looking to train those movements in your most fatigued state.

[...]Considering that these multiple-joint exercises are effective for increasing strength and power, prioritization is typically given to these core structural exercises (i.e., those extremely important to targeting program goals) early in a workout.

For example, Olympic lifts require explosive force production, and creating fatigue reduces the desired effects. These exercises need to be performed early in the workout, especially since they are technically demanding. Sequencing strategies for strength and power training have been recommended (21, 25, 31). It is important to note these can also apply to muscular endurance and hypertrophy training​

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/utilize-proper-workout-structure-and-exercise-order

Quick question.

Olympic lifters always start training snatches and later do cleans and jerks. The same happens in competition: first go the snatches, then the c&j.

The reason is simple: snatching is more technical and more demanding (in terms of the explosive power required and also the balance, timing and stiffnes of your posterior chain + shoulders + arms to nail the lock).

Even if the weight in the c&j is much larger, in the clean itself the path of the bar to reach the rack position is way shorter, and once the bar is catched and secured the legs and back will do most of the work until the standing position, in which the leverages, hand position, etc. will be briefly readjusted before the jerk. In the snatch you don't have pauses to readjust those things: must be nailed in a second. So snatches are harder and more taxing. Doing c&j before (or any other heavy lift) will hurt the performance to a greater extent that doing the snatches before.

In powerlifting works in the other way: deadlifts are done after the squats, because heavy dl fatigue your body more than heavy squats. For the same reasons if cardio and weighlifting are done in the same session is better to do first the lifts and then the cardio.

I think I'm basically near what I can lift for 5 reps again now.

I've been using the 5x5 progression method, but I started at 10 reps, increased the weight, then dropped the reps when I hit the point where my form started to degrade.

I'm going to do a few weeks of 5 reps with progression (until the form degrades again), then switch back to 5/3/1 so that I'm not affecting my cycling training too much. Early days, but it's nice to start seeing some muscle definition again.

Knowing me I'll try to see how heavy I can lift still tomorrow. I am guessing:
dead: 295

Actual:
dead: 315
Still got it!

Eat more. I am a hard gainer as well. You aren't eating as much as you think you are!
Increase portions
Add extra calories to every meal
Eat snacks like peanut butter sandwiches in between meals

Man, almost at one month of beginner bodyweight training (coming from a sedentary lifestyle).
Feels like everything is a bit tighter, and as of last week, I'd lost about 1.2-1.5 kgs.

Stepped on the scale today and found I'd gone from -1.5kg to + 0.2kg?!?!
No change in sleep, diet, or really anything else. I could see maybe a lb or two between days to account for a big dinner, body water, or bowel movements, but +.2kg was just depressing.

I'm not having trouble getting out and exercising--still hitting four workouts a week and they feel pretty good. Still getting around 6-7 hours of sleep a night. No comments on weight loss from anyone. Clothes don't really feel that different, though maybe a little looser around the waist.

I'mma keep going and everything, but I was hoping for 1 - 2 kg loss a month and four weeks in, I don't even really have that. : /

I'll check in again next month!

Man, almost at one month of beginner bodyweight training (coming from a sedentary lifestyle).
Feels like everything is a bit tighter, and as of last week, I'd lost about 1.2-1.5 kgs.

No change in sleep, diet, or really anything else. I could see maybe a lb or two between days to account for a big dinner, body water, or bowel movements, but +.2kg was just depressing.

I'm not having trouble getting out and exercising--still hitting four workouts a week and they feel pretty good. Still getting around 6-7 hours of sleep a night. No comments on weight loss from anyone. Clothes don't really feel that different, though maybe a little looser around the waist.

I'mma keep going and everything, but I was hoping for 1 - 2 kg loss a month and four weeks in, I don't even really have that. : /

Remember that muscles weigh more than fat. It could be that you're building lots of new muscle and it's replacing your fat.

Welcome to the roller coaster. I weigh myself daily just so I can see the little changes and associate what I see there to how I feel. Nothing was more depressing than going in to the Dr office and going up instead of down. I'd gone from a 40 pant waist to a 36 but up in weight. I was happy to go down in pant size but miserable at the same time because I went up on their scale. You get used to the ride though. Just stick to it and your mind will adjust which is the hardest thing to wait for.

Despite my stick figure body I was feeling good today and DL'd 455x5. Proud of that
Sounds like you might have a shot at 3x bodyweight 1RM!

Welcome to the roller coaster. I weigh myself daily just so I can see the little changes and associate what I see there to how I feel.
Yup, I've shown my graphs in here before. On individual days I've seen myself gain as much as 3kg (usually after an ultra endurance event when I get crazy water retention).

Measure daily, learn to ignore the individual numbers, use a rolling average.

I went back to that yesterday and was amazed how much easier each of the pulls was. I think I put so much energy into trying to grip the damn bar normally that it messes with the rest of my form.

Yeah I feel way stronger with mixed grip rather than double overhand too. The difference is remarkable
Same here. But I've recently started to warm up with double overhand up until like 60% 1RM, then alternate mixed grips between sets in an attempt to develop my deadlift more evenly.

I just today managed to actually find this thread. I somehow imagined this would have died with FitGAF. Most likely nobody even remembers me anymore (which might be for the best), but I certainly remember many of you. Good page to find this and have the first pictures to be of shirtless Fallingedge. Always appreciated.

Oh and yes, hi. It's Sadetar, if it rings any bells.

Hell yeah, hook grip is the best! Feels so much better than mixed grip.

Don't worry too much about daily changes. In fact, I would space out any weighing on a scale, maybe like once a week if that. If you are working out you will be gaining muscle which may make you gain weight (according to the scale), despite actually losing fat.

Just keep at it!! It is a long game. You are doing good.

I'm just (barely) making any progress on the squat. Recently swapped to working legs on all workouts (two time squat, one time leg press). Very frustrating considering my deadlift improves every single session and I only deadlift once a week. I think my technique isn't exactly perfect but it's not horrible either. I'm still a novice so it's not like I've ran out of beginner gains

I'll post a video when I get home

Hey Sadetar. Long time. This is Cooter btw. Welcome back!
Cooter! Hiiii!

I am actually pretty excited about finding this thread again. I didn't at any point fell off the wagon, but have been working out pretty consistently the whole time. Of course there has been some unfortunate setbacks, but nothing major. 2017 was the first year without any new back problems and I am planning to continue that lovely new trend this year. I also gained weight back, but my doctor realised (after over a year) to check how my hypothyroidism was and how is my medication. Now already down 30 pounds so I am optimistic the rest will be gone in due time.

I don't train as much or as hard as I used to, but this twice a week kettle bell routine with couple extras seem to fit me fine with everyday biking around. The newbie gain days are long gone, but at least I am pain free and working for it.

Damn I really need to get my back healthy again so I can jump back on SS then 5/3/1 or something else.

I’m distgustingly fat and it feels bad man. Granted I’m 168lbs and normally even when I was actively lifting I was at 160. But I hate having these rolls and feeling the fat :(.

Injuring my back depressed me from working out and for awhile even trying to fix it. I’m just now trying to get cut and really try to get back into a routine.

Injuring my back depressed me from working out and for awhile even trying to fix it. I’m just now trying to get cut and really try to get back into a routine.
I had six plus months out because of a house buying nightmare (still not over)... but I'm back now, and we can only do what we can do.

We all have setbacks. I've sure as hell had my fair share of injuries over the years.

Damn I really need to get my back healthy again so I can jump back on SS then 5/3/1 or something else.

I’m distgustingly fat and it feels bad man. Granted I’m 168lbs and normally even when I was actively lifting I was at 160. But I hate having these rolls and feeling the fat :(.

For me the journey is my favorite part of getting fit

I had six plus months out because of a house buying nightmare (still not over)... but I'm back now, and we can only do what we can do.

We all have setbacks. I've sure as hell had my fair share of injuries over the years.
For me the journey is my favorite part of getting fit
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah feels bad since I could clearly tell I put on weight. Felt terrible since I felt like I was looking my worst at my sisters wedding this month and I unexpectedly went on a trip to Maui the next week. Back still doesn’t feel right and I swear my shoulder blade is also tight and something might be wrong there too. But yeah now I’m finally starting to consistently do the stretches my physical therapist said to do along with some cardio and some calisthenics.

Would love to try yoga since I think that may help alleviate my issues but no clue what routine to do.