Fitness |OT| A New Era Begins

How bad would it be if I ate an entire pizza for a cheat meal if I'm on a bulk? Lately, I've been really scrutinizing everything I eat and changing my diet quite a bit. Normally, once a month or so, I'd order a pizza but I'm having second thoughts about this one. I haven't had one since June. Would I be sabotaging myself by eating it, IYO?

I'm distgustingly fat and it feels bad man. Granted I’m 168lbs and normally even when I was actively lifting I was at 160. But I hate having these rolls and feeling the fat :(.

Injuring my back depressed me from working out and for awhile even trying to fix it. I’m just now trying to get cut and really try to get back into a routine.
Back still doesn’t feel right and I swear my shoulder blade is also tight and something might be wrong there too. But yeah now I’m finally starting to consistently do the stretches my physical therapist said to do along with some cardio and some calisthenics.
I have fought through hell with my back injuries. It gets better. Just trust your physical therapist and do exactly what you are asked to.

Like Psycho said, we can only do our very best on every given moment. Weight comes and goes and even if it is utterly annoying to feel big or bloated, weight luckily come and go pretty easily. Just stay strong, you got this.

I'm an endurance athlete. My body doesn't look like most people here would choose to look like. :D

I have to keep low body fat levels though, otherwise I'm just asking to be slow.

I'm an endurance athlete. My body doesn't look like most people here would choose to look like. :D

I have to keep low body fat levels though, otherwise I'm just asking to be slow.
I hope I didn't offend you by asking that. I just wanted to make sure you weren't like 400 lbs. or something, giving me advice.

I guess what I should be asking is do you have a decent looking physique?
Define decent looking. I watch a lot of youtube fitness people and from what I see of power lifters, they can look quite dumpy yet lift hundreds of pounds of weight where the Arnold types look amazing but don't necessarily lift as much. Sure it comes down to what you train, but looking good and performing well are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the heavier and less aesthetically pleasing people tend to be the strongest. Like Brian Shaw who was worlds strongest man at one point. He's massive, but has zero definition. I wouldn't take him for anything more than some couch bound guy until you see him deadlift a car.

Personally I do a weekly cheat meal or two. Maybe not a whole pizza...although I do or rather did every so often. If your diet, cutting or bulking, is too strict for too long, you'll go nuts plus a weekly binge tends to uh push things along if you get my drift. I actually quit pizza for the most part. It just doesn't agree with me anymore. I get to feeling dehydrated pretty easily and that shit makes me so damn thirsty I can't stand it. As far as a cheat meal goes, I limit mine to Friday nights which may be a big meal if I cook at home or some take out if I'm beat down from the week and lazy. And/or maybe a Saturday night if I go out. I still try to eat reasonably so I'm not bursting at the seams and if I do eat too much one day, I dial it back the next. It's all about balance.

Define decent looking. I watch a lot of youtube fitness people and from what I see of power lifters, they can look quite dumpy yet lift hundreds of pounds of weight where the Arnold types look amazing but don't necessarily lift as much. Sure it comes down to what you train, but looking good and performing well are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the heavier and less aesthetically pleasing people tend to be the strongest. Like Brian Shaw who was worlds strongest man at one point. He's massive, but has zero definition. I wouldn't take him for anything more than some couch bound guy until you see him deadlift a car.

Personally I do a weekly cheat meal or two. Maybe not a whole pizza...although I do or rather did every so often. If your diet, cutting or bulking, is too strict for too long, you'll go nuts plus a weekly binge tends to uh push things along if you get my drift. I actually quit pizza for the most part. It just doesn't agree with me anymore. I get to feeling dehydrated pretty easily and that shit makes me so damn thirsty I can't stand it. As far as a cheat meal goes, I limit mine to Friday nights which may be a big meal if I cook at home or some take out if I'm beat down from the week and lazy. And/or maybe a Saturday night if I go out. I still try to eat reasonably so I'm not bursting at the seams and if I do eat too much one day, I dial it back the next. It's all about balance.
I'm going for hypertrophy and mass and ultimately want good definition. As I've mentioned here in the past, I've struggled with being skinny fat but lately I've cut a lot out of my diet that was bad and stopped overtraining as much. I'm probably eating better than I ever have since starting lifting in 2011.

Naw, you know when someone is a power lifter. I mean if I saw Brian Shaw on the street I would know he would be a strong dude. There's more to looking strong been having good definition

180x9 on bench today. Feeling pretty good.

I had six plus months out because of a house buying nightmare (still not over)... but I'm back now, and we can only do what we can do.

We all have setbacks. I've sure as hell had my fair share of injuries over the years.
Yep, I had the job from hell for 2 years, it killed my routine, eating and really did a number on my self confidence. I finally broke free and got and amazing job that I've been at now for almost 5 months and life is incredible, go home on time and lift everyday.

There will always be setbacks, life is usually going to throw stuff at you no matter what you do to avoid it. But just get back on it. When I started lifting again after over a year off, my best on bench was 180x2. I did 180x9 today and I've been lifting for 7 weeks now. It feels incredible.

Ugh i ran 5k 4 days in a row then i sprained my ankle fencing and Ive been sidelined for 4 days now because of that.
It doesnt really hurt anymore but i feel like itd be bad to start up again too early.

I want to get my 31 days in a row restarted soon though. Sucks to wait around doing nothing.

Ugh i ran 5k 4 days in a row then i sprained my ankle fencing and Ive been sidelined for 4 days now because of that.
It doesnt really hurt anymore but i feel like itd be bad to start up again too early.

I want to get my 31 days in a row restarted soon though. Sucks to wait around doing nothing.
Ankle wrap it.

So here's a random and stupid observation for the day. Just got done lifting in 90 degree weather and my shirt and shorts are completely soaked through. Socks? Dry as a bone. Seems like they would at least be wet around the ankle part but nope all dry like I was sitting in the office all day.

Probably no more contests for me this year, plus side is that one of the contests I did this year has already posted for next year. I know I am doing at least 2 next year, I want to do a third. It just comes down to scheduling it around my school schedule. I don't want to compete in the middle of mid terms or finals lmfao

Like Brian Shaw who was worlds strongest man at one point. He's massive, but has zero definition. I wouldn't take him for anything more than some couch bound guy until you see him deadlift a car.
If you saw Brian Shaw in real life you would not actually think this, because Brian Shaw is 6'8, has 23' biceps, and legs the size of tree trunks.

Last edited:
Right, I’m committed to building upper body mass, especially my arms. I run around 3 10Ks a week at really good pace, so my general fitness I’m quite happy with.

I’ve always been quite slim, and the only strength exercise I do are push ups (I can do around 35-40 good quality reps, or 30 elevated) and my muscles responded pretty well in terms of size.

It was a bit of a whim purchase, but I ordered a bench with a mix of 100kg weights and bars for the garage.

Any good programs to get me going? There’s so many online and apps that it’s a bit difficult to choose.

I do have lower back problems, which I’m going to have to work around. No deadlifts, most likely! But I’m about to start seeing the physio again to keep that on track.

Last edited:
Any good programs to get me going? There’s so many online and apps that it’s a bit difficult to choose.

I do have lower back problems, which I’m going to have to work around. No deadlifts, most likely! But I’m about to start seeing the physio again to keep that on track.
Starting Strength or 5x5 Stronglifts (both are very similar):

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

If deadlifts are a risk replace them with another pull, like more rows (even power cleans if you have the technique), or maybe bench press.

Needed 250x3 for squats, got 250x9, probably had more but got a little worried to fail. I really didn't want to lift too, so glad I forced myself in the garage.
Off days seem to be the best days. Not sure if its because your less distracted by what your doing and just do it or what. Seems like days that I feel really good end up being disappointing.

I've been on the same weightlifting program more or less for a year and a half now. I'm looking for a good lifting program, maybe higher rep since I am trying to lose weight now. Any ones I should look into?

Also considering just doing cardio for a week to see how it helps with weightloss vs lifting. Worried I might just lose muscle instead of fat if I go this route though.

I've been on the same weightlifting program more or less for a year and a half now. I'm looking for a good lifting program, maybe higher rep since I am trying to lose weight now. Any ones I should look into?

Also considering just doing cardio for a week to see how it helps with weightloss vs lifting. Worried I might just lose muscle instead of fat if I go this route though.
If you want to lose weight you adjust your diet, you dont have to change your program.

If you want to lose weight you adjust your diet, you dont have to change your program.
I know diet is 95% of weightloss (already lost 90 lbs). What I am asking is if there are other lifting/cardio programs that would make the remaining 5% go further towards my weightloss goal than my current program. I tried further calorie restriction (about 1800/day) hasn't led to significant weightloss recently, so I'm now rethinking what my routine can do to get closer to my goal faster.

I know diet is 95% of weightloss (already lost 90 lbs). What I am asking is if there are other lifting/cardio programs that would make the remaining 5% go further towards my weightloss goal than my current program. I tried further calorie restriction (about 1800/day) hasn't led to significant weightloss recently, so I'm now rethinking what my routine can do to get closer to my goal faster.
I would keep your program as it is and eat maintenance for a period of time until you feel like you can jump back in. Couple weeks...month. Get your body used to the new weight. Dieting too hard for too long just gets diminishing returns and you'll have to go completely nuts to get down far enough to keep losing which affects performance and everything else. There's no speed boost option here and sometimes dropping back a little allows your body to catch up with all the changes. Plus, you don't want to rebound back up by being far too restrictive.

I’ve been doing a dumbbell-only routine for the last six months or so. Maybe two or three weeks ago, I’ve noticed a twinge in my lower back when I bend over. It’s especially noticeable when I squat down to pick up a heavy pair of dumbbells off the floor. It isn’t hugely painful, but it’s worrying me enough that I’ve taken the week off to recover.

My mobility isn’t the best (I have trouble squatting low due to very tight hamstrings and have to stretch quite a bit before a workout), so I suspect that I’ve done one of the following:

1) Rounded my back while deadlifting. I have a bar and have been substituting in conventional deadlifts for the stiff leg deadlifts in the routine. I am pretty careful during deadlifts and have spent hours reading articles and watching videos on how to do it correctly, but it’s still reasonably likely that I did it wrong because of my mobility issues.

2) Used sloppy squat technique when lifting weights off the floor for step ups or shrugs (ie when not paying attention to my form). Heck, it might just be straight-up sloppy squat technique during my squat that’s exacerbated by the act of picking up weights off the floor.

3) We have a baby at home who weighs around 6kg. It might be a fatigue injury from holding him all the time (I favour my right hand side and don’t always pay attention to how I pick him up or put him down)

Anyway, apart from taking a break, does anyone have advice for how to speed along my recovery or improve my mobility? I’ve lost 18kg (~40lb) over the last six months and I’m nearly at my goal of 20kg lost, whereupon I intend to put on some muscle. I can’t do that or increase my weights if I’m injuring myself or unable to train.

Needed 135x5 on OHP today, got 135x9. Been feeling great. This was after only 5.5 hours of sleep. Very glad i went up 10lbs per lift this session. Would be insane for me to surpass my lifetime max lifts after i've turned 40, i don't see why it could not happen at this pace.

Off days seem to be the best days. Not sure if its because your less distracted by what your doing and just do it or what. Seems like days that I feel really good end up being disappointing.
I've experienced the same. End result is, just get in there and give it your best. If its a lousy day, just move on.

I think this is the most cut I've ever been. I'm so small though at ~154 lbs. I don't think I looked much bigger at my heaviest, 163 lbs though.
You look awesome. The way to look more muscular is to be thinner, exposing your muscles just makes you look bigger.

I have a question for the ones which go heavy and made good progress in deadlifts.

I was running 5/3/1 for like 15 months, which usually trains dl once a week, in blocks of 3 weeks + 1 deload week. Usually you set your real 1 rep max, cut the number to 90% to set you working max, and then train in rising sets each week. The first week your final set ends in 5+ reps at 85%, the second week with 3+ reps at 90% and the third week at 1+ reps with the 95%.

Then a month ago changed to a different schedule: I'm doing of each exercise 4 sets of 4 reps (last set open), with the two ending sets at 90% in the first week and up to 95% the second and third week. My goal is to focus in training in my 80% to 95% most of the time, to produce adaptation in either rising my 1 rep max or endurance to do more reps with heavy loads.

The thing is that both Strating Strength and 5x5 Stronglifts (both programs usually advocate deadlifts once a week) do run a single set of heavy deadlifts x session (a set of five) instead of 3 or 5 sets. I understand that this is due recovery limitations, because deadlifts can be very taxing. So I want to ask which kind of deadlift routine you use, which ones lead to better gains in strength... Do you go for a single heavy set with medium range of reps? Or do you go to small heavy sets of 2-3 reps? Maybe even singles?

To put the thing in context: my best tested deadlift was 1x 150 Kg (330 Lb) at 73 Kg (160 Lb) bodyweight last November; my current bw is roughly the same (maybe 1 Kg more), my best previous sub max was a set of 3x 139 Kg (306 Lb). Yesterday afternoon this was my deadlift workout:

Warm up
4x 50 Kg (110 Lb)
4x 90 Kg (198 Lb)
4x 120 Kg (264 Lb)

Working sets
4x 125 Kg (275 Lb)
4x 133 Kg (293 Lb)
4x 140 Kg (308 Lb)
4x 140 Kg (failed, unable to do even the first rep)

...So, I started stretching a bit and then warmed up with relatively small loads over 6-7 minutes. Then easily lifted 4x 125 Kg (275 Lb), rested ~4 minutes, lifted 4x 133 Kg (293 Lb) (not bad, albeit the pain in the hands due the hook grip), then rested another 4 minutes and pushed my first set of 4x 140 Kg (308 Lb). Despite that was was a PR I felt that I could push another rep if I tried, but chose to save energy for the last set. Around 4 minutes later tried the last set, only to find that wasn't able to do even the first rep without starting to break the form, so I stopped. Was funny, because I had no pain or discomfort, but I felt empty. 4 minutes ago a set of 4 was hard but good, now the energy just wasn't there: for the same weight I was exhausted.

That made me wonder if I should change my deadlift schedule. Should be better to end with 4 sets of 2x 140 Kg (308 Lb)? Or maybe singles? Or should I reduce the volume first work sets to reach the harder ones more fresh? So far din't have the same problem in squats, front squats or the clean,, in which if I can do a set of 4 I usually can at least push singles or doubles even fatigued.

My goal from here to the end of the year is to reach 1x 170 Kg (374 Lb); there's 18 weeks to go, and I want to train as often ans as heavy as I can, but whithout going to failure or exhaustion (which prevents to do more training). I known that some people does better with more reps but lighter, other going for single maxes... What's you experience? What do you advice?