Fitness |OT| A New Era Begins

That sounds like it'd help a lot actually. Is there a good beginner's routine?
Another vote for yoga from me. I have back problems too and, though it’s not perfect now, it’s so much better since I started doing yoga stretches. Try this ball exercise:

https://youtu.be/MS64H9pGFBc

It’s a bit hard to get your form right but you’ll feel it when it’s correct. It’s like a mild pull at the bottom of your back. Don’t stretch too far and only hold it for the full time if it’s comfortable.

sorry for my eng

i donno but since a month been doing warming up and stretching after waking up (oats/p.butter and frozen blueberries with milk breakfast first)
it was 10 minutes stretching then extended to 15 minutes..and since few days extended to whole 30 minuets (stretching, shaulin method pushups (50 rips)) with mix hard plank workout
feel like a ninja lol..it just make my day starts soo smooth

hey fitness era, i’m getting back into running. when it comes to the apple watch workout app, do you stop your run for your cool down walk and start a walk activity, or do you keep it all in one run?

Realized I forgot to post video of my squat in my last post. To compensate, I have a video from today which I think shows better form.

Any critique is welcome on both forms!
August 20th @75kg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSq33aA39wc
September 2nd @70kg (lower weight because of trying to improve form): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMTW3NvEM4

First video I get way too much weight forward which makes the lifts super difficult. Second video I'm trying to sit way more down rather than throw hips back. I think it felt a bit better but I can't be sure until I go up to 75 which is the current weight I'm trying to crack 5x5 on.

150x7 on overhead press tonight. Feeling great.

Titan fitness labor day sale wasn't too bad, bought more goodies for the gym, and got a zercher harness as well. Running out of stuff to buy for the gym.

150x7 on overhead press tonight. Feeling great.

Titan fitness labor day sale wasn't too bad, bought more goodies for the gym, and got a zercher harness as well. Running out of stuff to buy for the gym.
Nice OHP!

What's a zercher harness? Is it just like elbow padding? Zercher without any padding is a damn nightmare lmao, hurts so much.

Shauni

Banned
I'm going back to lifting weights after not doing it for about a year. I used to do 5x5 Stronglifts, but I like the sound of the Alternate Full Body workout in the OP. I'm 30 now, so I figure I need to really work to get back in shape again or I'll probably end up being an out of shape fuck the rest of my life. Probably do some light biking on off days maybe. I'm in a shit place for biking, but I'm not a running man.

FitnessEra, I need some advice. I have been doing the beginner's routine detailed in the OP for about 3-4 months give or take, I have noticed improvement in my shoulders area mostly, arms and maybe chest to a lesser degree. However I have a big issue that has plagued me my whole life and that is my stomach (damn you genetics), I don't even consider myself fat not even close, but my stomach's shape makes me look fat or bloated from certain angles and it is driving me insane to the point I don't even know how I should approach my routine anymore, like should I focus on cardio and ab work and forget about weights??

Sadly I have an 8 hr desk job, which means I am sitting all day, hopefully this is not a factor. I don't think I have a bad diet, at least I feel I would not have a bloated stomach with what I consume, which ranges from chicken, eggs, fish, apple, melon, berries, yogurt, salmon, nothing in big portions or fried stuff. I even consulted with a nutritionist who made me eat more, after a while I started to gain weight around my abs, which made me panic so I stopped. Honestly I am lost.

Help my FitnessEra, you are my only hope.

• Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 141 lbs (-ish)
  • Goal: Don't care about my weight, I just wanna throw my stomach out the window.

Hit 295 sumo deads for 6, 30 secs, 4, 30 secs, 2.

Feels good.

FitnessEra, I need some advice. I have been doing the beginner's routine detailed in the OP for about 3-4 months give or take, I have noticed improvement in my shoulders area mostly, arms and maybe chest to a lesser degree. However I have a big issue that has plagued me my whole life and that is my stomach (damn you genetics), I don't even consider myself fat not even close, but my stomach's shape makes me look fat or bloated from certain angles and it is driving me insane to the point I don't even know how I should approach my routine anymore, like should I focus on cardio and ab work and forget about weights??

Sadly I have an 8 hr desk job, which means I am sitting all day, hopefully this is not a factor. I don't think I have a bad diet, at least I feel I would not have a bloated stomach with what I consume, which ranges from chicken, eggs, fish, apple, melon, berries, yogurt, salmon, nothing in big portions or fried stuff. I even consulted with a nutritionist who made me eat more, after a while I started to gain weight around my abs, which made me panic so I stopped. Honestly I am lost.

• Goal: Don't care about my weight, I just wanna throw my stomach out the window.
Doing ab work will just make it look bigger because....you're doing ab work. Lift heavy weights. You can do cardio if you want. Keep eating, keep lifting weights, and eventually your body composition will change. It takes a long time for that, just keep at it.

Listen to your nutritionist. If you freak out at a slight gain then you won't get very far. Your clothes may get a little tight before they get loose. Muscle growth underneath pushes fat out. It won't go on forever, but can happen at first. Stick with what your doing already, eat properly, and see what happens in another 3 months or better yet, six months or a year. This change you seek takes time. Make sure your getting veggies in there too. Bloating itself could be from too much protein or not enough fiber...or both and all you've listed is fruit and protein sources. Eat some salad.

Thank you both for the advice, I will focus on cardio and weight lifting, I am already seeking out a nutritionist to help me add some fiber to my current diet, and I guess patience and dedication win the long run

I think this is the most cut I've ever been. I'm so small though at ~154 lbs. I don't think I looked much bigger at my heaviest, 163 lbs though.
Wow. Great work and looking good! With that amount of muscles and weight may I ask how tall are you?

I myself just had a bit over a week off the gym with way higher calorie died than I generally consume (so worth it, the trip to Ireland was absolutely amazing). I gained 9 pounds in seven days (most already gone though so it was just water weight). On the first day back at the gym after my vacation I was so sad to notice how quickly my endurance had crashed. I needed to go slower and with lower weights than before and yet I was basically swimming in a pool of sweat. I am optimistic it will come back soon though.

Wow. Great work and looking good! With that amount of muscles and weight may I ask how tall are you?

I myself just had a bit over a week off the gym with way higher calorie died than I generally consume (so worth it, the trip to Ireland was absolutely amazing). I gained 9 pounds in seven days (most already gone though so it was just water weight). On the first day back at the gym after my vacation I was so sad to notice how quickly my endurance had crashed. I needed to go slower and with lower weights than before and yet I was basically swimming in a pool of sweat. I am optimistic it will come back soon though.
I knock 10% off my weights for each week of weight lifting I miss (thankfully it's only week at most usually). Since I do Greyskull LP, it gives me a nice confidence boost since my last set is as many reps as possible and I can knock out a lot at the lower weight. Don't worry, your strength will come back to you soon.

Do you have anterior pelvic tilt?

Needed 190x1 on bench for this 1s week, got 190x10. I could just up the weight more per session of 351, but I don't want to increase too quickly and hit a wall too quickly. Having fun going all out on my amrap sets.

I don't know what I did but top of my left foot hurts like I bruised when the foot bends as I step. I've been hoping it goes away or lessens for a few days but now I want to just say fuck it and do my leg routine today.

Realized I forgot to post video of my squat in my last post. To compensate, I have a video from today which I think shows better form.

Any critique is welcome on both forms!
August 20th @75kg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSq33aA39wc
September 2nd @70kg (lower weight because of trying to improve form): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMTW3NvEM4

First video I get way too much weight forward which makes the lifts super difficult. Second video I'm trying to sit way more down rather than throw hips back. I think it felt a bit better but I can't be sure until I go up to 75 which is the current weight I'm trying to crack 5x5 on.
Quoting myself. Any opinions on this?

Back into the routine, after letting myself go for 1 & 1/2 years drinking beer and eating whateves I wanted. I always yo yo. been doing it for so long. Get into great shape, then get fat. Back and forth. I always think I will stop doing it once I am back in shape. But the weight does fall off very quickly.

Its crazy how you are second class citizen when you are fat though. People are so much nicer to you if you are not fat. Anyway, getting up in age now, being out of shape feels bad in a way it didn't when I was younger.

Back into the routine, after letting myself go for 1 & 1/2 years drinking beer and eating whateves I wanted. I always yo yo. been doing it for so long. Get into great shape, then get fat. Back and forth. I always think I will stop doing it once I am back in shape. But the weight does fall off very quickly.

Its crazy how you are second class citizen when you are fat though. People are so much nicer to you if you are not fat. Anyway, getting up in age now, being out of shape feels bad in a way it didn't when I was younger.
It also gets exponentially harder to go back in shape as you age (slowing metabolism and all)

It also gets exponentially harder to go back in shape as you age (slowing metabolism and all)
I believe you. Although I mostly notice how much easier it is to gain weight, rather than how difficult it is to lose it. But thats probably because once I am in healthy mode I am pretty strict, in terms of just eating mostly vegetables and keeping the carbs out, and cutting out the booze. But yeah, I can tell now.

It's really bad I keep yo yoing. Problem was my GF her sisters and friends are all drinkers. None of them are fat though. When I drink, I just have to eat a lot to kill the hangovers. I also like drunk eating. I mean I also liked to drink on my own, but the rot started with my GF this time. I just have a big problem with either being in unhealthy or healthy mode, I really really can't seem to strike a balance like a normal person.

I believe you. Although I mostly notice how much easier it is to gain weight, rather than how difficult it is to lose it. But thats probably because once I am in healthy mode I am pretty strict, in terms of just eating mostly vegetables and keeping the carbs out, and cutting out the booze. But yeah, I can tell now.

It's really bad I keep yo yoing. Problem was my GF her sisters and friends are all drinkers. None of them are fat though. When I drink, I just have to eat a lot to kill the hangovers. I also like drunk eating. I mean I also liked to drink on my own, but the rot started with my GF this time. I just have a big problem with either being in unhealthy or healthy mode, I really really can't seem to strike a balance like a normal person.
most « normal people » don’t either, which is why we have a rampant and growing obesity problem.

And the overall population’s leniency regarding bad health habits only fosters those behaviors and exacerbates them.

I found my balance when I built my work schedule around working out and not working out around my schedule

Back to testing my lifts after 12 weeks.

Got my 3RM bench up by 10kg: 52.5kg to 62.5kg.

And added 8kg to my 1RM TGU: 20kg to 28kg.

It's always nice to see demonstrable progress.

Decided to test my lifts today.

Squat 315 lbs
Dead 335
Bench 205
Pull up 45
OHP 135

Feels good. Left some in the tank too.
Back to testing my lifts after 12 weeks.

Got my 3RM bench up by 10kg: 52.5kg to 62.5kg.

And added 8kg to my 1RM TGU: 20kg to 28kg.

It's always nice to see demonstrable progress.
Nice that's a good jump in weight! Good work.

how good is rowing for losing weight? i tried it (after watching videos on technique) tonight for the first time and it seems pretty awesome.

(i’m also running for 30 mins, lifting weights and doing leg raises.)

i really don’t give a shit about muscles, i just want to slim down.

Last edited:
how good is rowing for losing weight? i tried it (after watching videos on technique) tonight for the first time and it seems pretty awesome.

(i’m also running for 30 mins, lifting weights and doing leg raises.)

i really don’t give a shit about muscles, i just want to slim down.
90% of weight loss i dieting, i wouldn't worry too much about how effective one form of cardio is over another. Just do whatever you like best.

I think someone of you recommended doing more stretches a while back. I have done so and now my ass cheeks are feeling sore days after training. They activate so much better and not just the back of my tighs. Feels glorious.

I knock 10% off my weights for each week of weight lifting I miss (thankfully it's only week at most usually). Since I do Greyskull LP, it gives me a nice confidence boost since my last set is as many reps as possible and I can knock out a lot at the lower weight. Don't worry, your strength will come back to you soon.
This was very calming to read. Thank you. Now it has been a bit over a week and I am back to the point were I was before the trip. I am very pleased.

Very impressive. Looking great!

Slow but steady progress. One day I'll learn how to smile :p (and lose my bellyfat)
At least in that pic I can't see even a hint of bellyfat. :P Certainly good progress and nice arms.

Day 4 of my vacation and i went from 178 to 186, i know its mostly just water but damn.
I feel you. I gained nearly ten pounds in seven days. It was pretty brutal. But like you said, it was mainly just water and now it has been a bit over a week and I already weight two pounds less than before the trip. I am on a pretty strict diet though. Another vacation, this time to NYC, in a bit over three weeks so just trying to shed some fat before that.

Have any of you had to deal with wrist problems? I've had these for over a year and the pain came and went, but it got annoying enough that I had to see a doctor. They gave me some exercises and stretches but I don't know if they're working, and may in fact be making things worse. Shit even hurts when I type now. Ugh.

Have any of you had to deal with wrist problems? I've had these for over a year and the pain came and went, but it got annoying enough that I had to see a doctor. They gave me some exercises and stretches but I don't know if they're working, and may in fact be making things worse. Shit even hurts when I type now. Ugh.
I used to, so I did a few exercices regularly for about 6 months

I took two dumbells (light ones, they don'T need to be heavy) and I lifted them only using the wrist articulation (usually with my arm lying on a bench for maximum stability) After a while my muscles grew stronger there and my mobility got better, fixing my issues.

I used to, so I did a few exercices regularly for about 6 months

I took two dumbells (light ones, they don'T need to be heavy) and I lifted them only using the wrist articulation (usually with my arm lying on a bench for maximum stability) After a while my muscles grew stronger there and my mobility got better, fixing my issues.
Did you do this right away once you got injured or did you rest for a while first?

Finished off the week with a 3RM 90kg squat (had to deload during program due to back pain) and a 3RM trap bar DL of 112.5kg.

Happy with the progress, but still can't really do pull-ups which is getting on my nerves. But I'm closer with those too.

I moved out of my parents house earlier this year and my fucking workouts have been all over the place since. The past month they've normalized a bit thankfully. I finally got 2 plates on both sides for bench! 225x5 whoo! I got 405 on my deadlift and I've been scared to try 405 on squats even though I got it in February but I got 365x5 so I think I can probably still do it. Still in the 1000 lbs. club whew. Right now I'm kind of heavy I oscillate between 175-180 and I'll probably put on 10 more lbs over the next 4-6ish months.

Also fuck the human body because I was FINE and then all of a sudden this one random muscle in my back is killing only when I use weights. I'm hoping it heals soon I took this week off.

I tried the barbell shoulder press today.

Should I be able to "feel" my back muscles while I'm doing it? I wasn't sure if that's normal or maybe my form was bad, or too much weight (however it was just the bar with no plates).