Fitness |OT| A New Era Begins

Two questions:
1. My deadlift is way better than my squat, the latter of which is totally shit for the time I've been working out. I've maxed out 260lbs for a single in DL while my best 5 rep in squat is 165. Would there be any point in going sumo deadlift instead of conventional while the strength in the two catch up to each other since from what I understand sumo deadlift works the legs way more? Since I hate squats and love deadlifts I would rather not program more squats than I have (twice a week for 6 sets) :)

2. Since my squat sucks as per question 1, I suspect a lot of it due to ankle inflexibility, would weightlifting shoes serve me well? If I can afford Adipowers, those are the ones to go for right?

Needed 245x5 on squats, got 245x8. Now begins 1s week, my favorite.
This perfectly ilustrates my imbalances in low vs upper body. I can squat 220 x 5, which means that you can double my reps with ~25Lb on top, but meanwhile in bench you're able to push 180 x 8+ while I barely can do 145 x 5 (being the two last reps a huge grinding).

This perfectly ilustrates my imbalances in low vs upper body. I can squat 220 x 5, which means that you can double my reps with ~25Lb on top, but meanwhile in bench you're able to push 180 x 8+ while I barely can do 145 x 5 (being the two last reps a huge grinding).
Your doing 531? I think it was one of your posts that got me to look into that and I'm glad I did. I dig the progression of it so I've incorporated that for my main lifts. Was already doing those on the prescribed days for volume anyway and figured some strength blocks would be good.

Since I couldn't do legs last week and am on a trip for work this week I pushed things a little each day for my one rm. Managed 250x3 on bench which almost didn't come back up and two plates on DL. OHP continues to suck ass at like 115 but by the end of the week I'm struggling to get that weight in the air. I hadn't really pushed things since I got my home gym rolling so that was pretty cool to do.

Once I get back home I'm going to reprogram things for a full four week block using my new one rm's. Hoping my knee gets better for squats, if not I'm going to work something else out for that day and maybe just light squat if I can.

Two questions:
1. [...]. Would there be any point in going sumo deadlift instead of conventional while the strength in the two catch up to each other since from what I understand sumo deadlift works the legs way more? Since I hate squats and love deadlifts I would rather not program more squats than I have (twice a week for 6 sets) :)

2. Since my squat sucks as per question 1, I suspect a lot of it due to ankle inflexibility, would weightlifting shoes serve me well? If I can afford Adipowers, those are the ones to go for right?
Sumo and conventional support each other, but I think that sumo doesn't benefit that much squatting, since most of the work in sumo deadlift is done above parallel, whereas the hardest part of squatting is doing below parallel. Is only a conjecture, but olympic weighlifters, which have the strongest squat/mass ratio per pound, rarely do sumo.

My advice would be to strengthen you squat in the lowest point, doing ~2 seconds pause at the bottom. I can't say too much about mobility because my own for squats is good (on the other hand, I have problems with my arms in front squats due my forearms are very long), but maybe this one could help you in mobility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqF90pMpjb4

...And about the Adipowers: I have them. They are very stiff, very tight, and superb for snatches and cleans, and they do help a lot in squats, because most of people have the tendency to slant the weight in their feet towards the front or the sides, whereas those moves do demand enphasis in the heel, and the Adipowers provide a perfect platform. But lately I barely use them, because regular cross training shoes (as the Metcon or the Nanos; I have the Nano 6 and 8) do a good job in the heel department and the pure weighlifting shoes (Adipowers, Romaleos, Legacy Lifters...) are more expensive and you only will use them for squats, cleans and snatches.

In other words: if you already have, let's say, the Metcon or the Nanos, I would advise you against buying wl shoes for squats, because those cross training shoes already do a good job and the Adipowers alone won't magically enhance your squats (albeit as I said, they are excellent at their task).

Your doing 531? I think it was one of your posts that got me to look into that and I'm glad I did. I dig the progression of it so I've incorporated that for my main lifts. Was already doing those on the prescribed days for volume anyway and figured some strength blocks would be good.
Yep, was me. Still training strength in a pattern based in 531 while doing crossfit 4 x week.

Currently I train in blocks of 3 weeks, doing 4 sets of 4 reps with 80/85/90/90% the first week and 85/90/95/95% in the second and third week. I still try to max out reps in the 3th or 4th set, and if I'm unable to do the prescribed reps then I do couples or singles (due I maxed out in some exercises). Each 3 weeks, if I can, I add a couple of Kg to each exercise, and if not I remain training in sets between my 80% and 95%. Even if I plateau in some lifts, I remain training in high % of my 1RM, so my body get used to that weight and my gradually rise.

I think that I'm doing well in squats: my goal for the year if to hit 1x 115 Kg (253 Lb) and this week did 4x 99 Kg (218 Lb) lefting something in the tank and 1x 105 Kg (230 Lb) so my current max should be around 108 Kg. So I have 13 weeks to try to push those last 15 pounds...

When I switched from 5x5 stronglifts to 531, my legs were much stronger than upper body. I had to take a long break, and when I got back lifting, I was more balanced. I think I'll soon end up beating my lifetime bests on upper body but still lagging far from my leg lifts.

Two questions:
1. My deadlift is way better than my squat, the latter of which is totally shit for the time I've been working out. I've maxed out 260lbs for a single in DL while my best 5 rep in squat is 165. Would there be any point in going sumo deadlift instead of conventional while the strength in the two catch up to each other since from what I understand sumo deadlift works the legs way more? Since I hate squats and love deadlifts I would rather not program more squats than I have (twice a week for 6 sets) :)
Your squat 1RM is probably around 185, or 71% of your deadlift (it could be more). That seems pretty normal for someone who isn’t a competitive powerlifter.

Greg Nuckols has some ideas on why most people’s squats are ahead of their DLs and some suggestions on how to help the squat catch up. I’ve found doing planks beforehand to be helpful, although not nearly as helpful as getting a belt. For me a big part of it is the weight of the bar on my back, which feels much worse than having it in my hands, at least before grip becomes a limiting factor. Cocking my elbows back to create a more stable shelf for the bar seems to take a bit of that discomfort away.

On the bright side, your upper body being weak means you have a lot of exciting, easier to make gains in that area. :P I'd still consider myself imbalanced, but my legs were always stronger thanks to carrying all of my fat around so the first time I actually committed to a bulk my bench shot up quite a bit -- it was fun!

Haha same. I can squat and deadlift 315 easy, but on bench I struggle with 185+. OHP, forget about it. I'm all legs! haha

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Hello all!

Looking to see if someone can lend me their push/pull/leg regiment as this is the first time hearing about the method which I would like to give a shot.

I had already done chest today but would like to switch it up asap.

Anyone here dealt/dealing with anterior pelvic tilt?#

Is there any difference between machines that use plates and ones that use those cabled weight stacks?
Cables provide a constant stream of tension, whereas plate loaded machines only work with gravity, so some parts of the movement will be provider more tension than others. Both have pros/cons and depends on use cases and what you're trying to achieve. One thing I have noticed with cable machines is that they need be well oiled. I've experienced multiple times where cable machines in the same gym will have varying degrees of tension on their cables. This can make annoying as say one cable machine is in use, and you go to use another one, when using the same amount of weight it may feel easier or harder.

Never used them myself but I've only heard positive things from others for bring up grip/forearm strength.

Last edited:
Switching back to anytime fitness turned out to be great for me. Gained access to a tractor tire to flip and a log to press. Got to actually train some strongman stuff the last several weeks instead of just getting gym strong and hoping for the best

Needed 350x1 on deadlift, got 350x3. Far cry from my old bests but I'll get there. Chalk finally came in and that helped to. I just hate doing high rep deadlifts, always have.

Ordered resistant bands and linebacker attachment from Titan fitness today when they went on sale. Wife has been wanting both.

Needed 350x1 on deadlift, got 350x3. Far cry from my old bests but I'll get there. Chalk finally came in and that helped to. I just hate doing high rep deadlifts, always have.
Nice!

Yea I hate doing high reps....for anything really haha. I can't deny that it really pays dividends for me. Those high rep sets really help to build strength.

Needed 200x1 on bench, got 200x10. That puts my theoretical 1 rep Max at higher than my lifetime best. Maybe next week instead of starting a new 351 set, I'll try to go for new max lifts for singles. Then start a new 351 session the well after.

Nice!

Yea I hate doing high reps....for anything really haha. I can't deny that it really pays dividends for me. Those high rep sets really help to build strength.
They really do. It all pays off. Just keep hitting the weights.

For those doing 531 or similar, do you typically follow the 4th week deload and recommendation to switch up the routine every two cycles?
I no longer do the deload week, but when I was new to the program, I did them as needed. If I felt like my body needed rest, I'd do it. I skipped them depending on feel. Ymmv.

Is a barbell better than dumbbells for curls?
Whynotboth.png

Hi. Totally newbie to working out.

What weights should I be starting with?

How long should I rest between sets?

Are there any particular pre-workout stretches I should be doing?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Start with empty bar in barbell movements and add 5lbs each workout so that you learn the movements. For machines and dumbbells start with something that feels easy and works your way up.

Rest is very individual and it's a variable you can toy with to tune intensity just like weights, reps, sets and exercises. But generally don't rest less than 1 minute and not more than 5 minutes. Shorter rest gets you through the workout quicker and is better for conditioning while longer rests naturally allows you to lift more weight. Personally I rest 3-4 minutes unless it's an isolation exercise like biceps curl or side delts, then it's more like 2 minutes.

Personally I do no stretches and I feel there's no reason to do them unless you have a specific impairment you need to work on. Then again most people do, so yeah :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of exercise! :)
Bodyweight. Learn all the fundamental movements of the human body before you begin to externally load yourself!
Push ups/dips/chin ups/fatman pull ups
Sit ups/back extensions
Squats/lunges
Hip hinge/glute bridge
Sprints
Jumping

Since it's bodyweight, rest at least 30 seconds. Or make it into a circuit and rest at the end.

Example:
Push ups > Fatman pull ups > Squat > Glute bridge > Sit up > Back extension > rest 2-3 mins, repeat

Finish workouts with sprints and then stretch if you want.

Warm up stretching is a bad idea. Instead the better option is to warm up with exercises that mimic what you will do. So do something like a bear crawl for a few minutes. Go for a light jog. Do band horizontal pulls. Easy stuff that is not strenuous, it shouldn't interfere with the main workout.

Start with empty bar in barbell movements and add 5lbs each workout so that you learn the movements. For machines and dumbbells start with something that feels easy and works your way up.

Rest is very individual and it's a variable you can toy with to tune intensity just like weights, reps, sets and exercises. But generally don't rest less than 1 minute and not more than 5 minutes. Shorter rest gets you through the workout quicker and is better for conditioning while longer rests naturally allows you to lift more weight. Personally I rest 3-4 minutes unless it's an isolation exercise like biceps curl or side delts, then it's more like 2 minutes.

Personally I do no stretches and I feel there's no reason to do them unless you have a specific impairment you need to work on. Then again most people do, so yeah :)
Welcome to the wonderful world of exercise! :)

Bodyweight. Learn all the fundamental movements of the human body before you begin to externally load yourself!
Push ups/dips/chin ups/fatman pull ups
Sit ups/back extensions
Squats/lunges
Hip hinge/glute bridge
Sprints
Jumping

Since it's bodyweight, rest at least 30 seconds. Or make it into a circuit and rest at the end.

Example:
Push ups > Fatman pull ups > Squat > Glute bridge > Sit up > Back extension > rest 2-3 mins, repeat

Finish workouts with sprints and then stretch if you want.

Warm up stretching is a bad idea. Instead the better option is to warm up with exercises that mimic what you will do. So do something like a bear crawl for a few minutes. Go for a light jog. Do band horizontal pulls. Easy stuff that is not strenuous, it shouldn't interfere with the main workout.
Thanks a lot!

Do you all have any brand of shirt you recommend for muscly guys? I'm getting a little too bulky in the chest and shoulders to stick with my usual size L shirts, but XL shirts feel too baggy everywhere else.