Forza Horizon 4 |OT| Seasoned to Perfection

It's one of my big negatives with the game. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore it, and right now it's probably a 9.5/10 for me. The games highs are far higher than FH3, but the reason why I still think FH3 is a better game (and a 10/10) despite having less content, no seasons and all the rest, is that I feel it was a purer and more wholesome experience, that had less filler and unecessary stuff. It had it's focus purely on vehiclar drama and theatre, and everything in the game was implemented to further that ideal, whereas this new title muddies the waters a touch with other superflous stuff like emotes and cosmetics, which do unfortunately stifle progression and reward systems, thus indirectly affecting the racing.
It almost feels like a complete reboot to me, to appeal to wider (maybe streaming?) audience ,a bit more bombastic, I don't know, it just feels.........different.

It's one of my big negatives with the game. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore it, and right now it's probably a 9.5/10 for me. The games highs are far higher than FH3, but the reason why I still think FH3 is a better game (and a 10/10) despite having less content, no seasons and all the rest, is that I feel it was a purer and more wholesome experience, that had less filler and unecessary stuff. It had it's focus purely on vehiclar drama and theatre, and everything in the game was implemented to further that ideal, whereas this new title muddies the waters a touch with other superflous stuff like emotes and cosmetics, which do unfortunately stifle progression and reward systems, thus indirectly affecting the racing.

Hell if it wasn't for all that extra stuff, I'd probably have dozens more cars I actually want and would be using right about now. I don't want to just have 1 or 2 hypercars or track toys that I have to use for hours and hours on end, instead, like in Forza Horizon 3, after dozens of hours of play time, I want to be able to choose between multiple different hypercars or track toys, eg a LaFerrari, a McLaren P1, a Keonigsigg One:1, a Lamborghini Centenario and so on and so on.
Seems like you have the same kind of idea and adulation for FH3 as me, and I can see me being disappointed a little too in those areas you mention as that is exactly how I liked to play FH3 (and so did my son).

A word of caution to people downloading from another region... You may have to re-download once it unlocks in your location.

I did the New Zealand trick to download and play this evening. It hit midnight here now, so I switched my Xbox location back to the UK.

When I tried to relaunch the game some error came up saying the 'owner' needs to be signed in. I went to the store (UK), and it showed as Installed still so the game was available.

Anyways, after several restarts and no luck, I caved in and deleted the install so I could download again.
Nah, I had that error too, but just waited a few minutes assuming it was the servers catching up, and I eventually got it to boot about 10 minutes later - after having to download the update patch and the Drift Car pack - once the car pack appeared to download, I knew it had accepted the change.

The game is more focused on long term support. I mean Horizon 3 had expansions and carpass. And that was all really.
And this game embraces i think even more the whole audience who play this game. I mean its offcourse still about cars. But every mode is elevated for people who really like one thing the most. It is from making photos, making liveries to online racing.

The Lamborghini Huracán tuned right is an absolute monster as S1. It's kinda too easy with it.
Like I said in my previous post the problem with this event is all the other players. Tuning your own car and being a good driver doesn't do much if everyone else on your team can't pull their weight.
Yes, that event is super hard (in comparison with everything else), but a note: the seasonal events are more part of the online part of the game, not of the single player campaign ;)
How did you come to the conclusion that seasonal events are part of the online? There are 5 or 6 seasonal events on the map right now and Cheeky Lambos is the only one that requires online interaction.
It's Forza's own take on "raids". It's an hard event where you need a good tuned up car and decent drivers. I like it.

Edit: I agree they should warn you more though. So much people getting in there in a crappy rent car lol
I've been on a team with people level 80 and higher, I was so confident we were gonna win that time, but nope, they all finished at the bottom. Player level doesn't correlate to skill.

As if to just further emphasise my post above, I just turned in 17, yes 17 wheelspins, of which I received

8 x common cosmetic clothes items
1 x legendary clothes item
4 x common vehicles
4 x money, totalling close to 100k

It's honestly ridiculous. Thank God there's no actual microtransaction system, otherwise, you'd question whether they might've wanted to push it towards more of a Fifa style system.

It's been quite some time now that pure credit rewards from races are not your main income. It's all about wheel spins and other gifting initiatives. Plus remember that while you can't resell cars to the game, there's always the auction house (note to Turn10/PG: please relax the ridiculous 10 auctions per day limit, thank you).
There is a limit for auctions now? EWWWW.

They've done a lot to battle auction house fraud in the game, apparently auction limit as well as really low max prices rare cars (which makes rare cars less rare as you can't charge much for them).

As if to just further emphasise my post above, I just turned in 17, yes 17 wheelspins, of which I received

4 x common vehicles

It's honestly ridiculous. Thank God there's no actual microtransaction system, otherwise, you'd question whether they might've wanted to push it towards more of a Fifa style system.
Cosmetics is what the kids want!

4 x common vehicles

Often the same experience here ...

With just how many cosmetics there are, I've already wondered if at some point this game actually had loot boxes. But since that heavily backfired for the industry now they might have just dialed back on that and removed them.

FH3 had it too (dunno about earlier FH).
Good to know, thank you.

I've been on a team with people level 80 and higher, I was so confident we were gonna win that time, but nope, they all finished at the bottom. Player level doesn't correlate to skill.
Of course not. Doesn't negate what I said though. It's a tough race for people with good cars who know how to drive.

Edit:
One of the preset chat messages is "I'm really feeling it!"
Hardly a super specific Xenoblade reference. But I can see how someone can interpret it that way.

Did you end up seeing x2 rewards in wheelspins? Just wondering as I've only seen x2 applied to race rewards.
The X2 VIP is only for race rewards, description below of what’s included.

VIPs receive 3 Exclusive Forza Edition cars
VIP Crown Flair
VIP Vanity Items
VIP Emote and Car Horn
Free Player House
2x Credit race rewards
weekly bonus Super Wheelspins, and more.

Like I said in my previous post the problem with this event is all the other players. Tuning your own car and being a good driver doesn't do much if everyone else on your team can't pull their weight.
Yep, I gave it about 6 tries, never came below 3rd but it was always just two of our team (including me) in those top 3 slots and the rest of the team at the bottom.

I just gave up on it for that reason.

Edit:
Hardly a super specific Xenoblade reference. But I can see how someone can interpret it that way.
I'd ordinarily agree, but it's a video game set in Britain and half of quick chat is practically references. There's basically nothing else it can be.

Same way that "I need healing!" is for all intents and purposes an Overwatch gag even if you can otherwise argue that it's too broad.

How far / long into the game does it take for the game to open up? (forzathon, painting etc etc)
there is a long introduction that leads through all 4 seasons before it really let yourself loose with the Forzathons

i digged a little bit in the online modes...i am not amused what they have done there.

the Adventure mode is now team based only and you can´t back out properly...where are no collision races? where is private free roam? class based rivals is also gone it seems. basically they took what was great and made it worse...

sorry to say it but FH3 was much better in many aspects, the online mode of FH4 is completely barebones. coupled with the no AI traffic "Horizon Life" mode with ghosted player cars so that you feel literally like in a ghost town i am really baffled about this game at this point, for me FH4 is unfortunately one step forward and two steps back...

hopefully there will be big changes in the coming weeks because there shouldn´t be features cutted which were perfectly fine in the older entry. somehow i am reminded of Forza Motorsport 7 with this game...

there is a long introduction that leads through all 4 seasons before it really let yourself loose with the Forzathons
Ahh, I reckon I've got a while to go yet then!, I am only about an hour in!

Anyone else notice the TCS light blinking on the HUD, even though TCS is turned off?

Anyone having sound issues with the game? Just started playing (original Xbox One) and the intro sounds were gone. The game started with sound, has the car is on the highway and says the season but then once it gives me control the sound went back out. Next season, same thing, sound for brief intro then nothing once I control. Got past that part and I pick an avatar and someone is talking to me but I hear nothing.

I quit the game and finally rebooted. The sound came back for a while but then it went out again. Played some others games without sound issues so I'm thinking it's the game.

Lol I've yet to complete one champoinnship event completely and have just been screwing around in free roam and I am leverl 42 i think? And i have three houses and 70 cars including some damned good ones and have bought and sold a bunch in auction and upgraded the shit out of some and everytime I spend all my money I get another 1.6 million in a day or two through wheelspins from forzathon live and from upgrading car perks.

Game seems perfectly fine in progression and even a bit to generous if you ask me.

Now if all you do is events I can't speak to that but to me that's boring as hell to do all the tiem and will never understand why someone would want to do that non stop when there are so many other ways to enjoy the game and mix it up and make progress and cash.

I plan on buying the castle maybe in March of 2019 and I'm fine with that. Gives me something to look forward to as I plan on playing for a long time

Ultimate edition also, I'm not getting 2xcash bonus either. I think it's a bug.

What is this very hard race you guys talking about? Maybe I didn't discover it yet??

Find any moaning about the wheel spins and the rewards you get for stuff absolutely baffling. The game absolutely launches cars and money to you hand over fist. The emotes and clothes are just a bit of fun. At no point so far have I felt wanting for money at all. And bigger purchases like cars that run several million credits, I stop to think about wether I really want them, as it should be.

If anything, I think the game should've been even more stingy in the beginning. No super cars, just hot hatches and retro saloons for a 20 hours. Not immediately let people mash about in Bugatti's if they want. But I've just imposed that progression on myself instead.

It almost feels like a complete reboot to me, to appeal to wider (maybe streaming?) audience ,a bit more bombastic, I don't know, it just feels.........different.
So, adding cosmetics = reboot? Horizon has always been a bombastic, flashy game. They're simply expanding an aspect of it that was extremely basic until now.
I am definitely getting a "get off my lawn stupid kids" vibe from some of the posts, but let's not pretend Horizon wasn't always incredibly light hearted, laid back and, yes, aimed at kids (too) while appealing to the more enthusiastic crowd. And I'm very close to 30, yet I find the silly emotes and outfits absolutely hilarious and a good addition, as it makes the game feel more alive.
I also am a little baffled at the complaints regarding cosmetics in wheelspins - the game spams wheelspins at you like crazy. Seriously, I wasn't paying attention for a few hours of gameplay and I had shit tons of them in my garage. Plus I had like 300 forzathon points (which can also buy bunch of wheelspins) on top of that, wheelspins are littered everywhere in EVERY car's skill tree...

It's safe to say FH4 is even more generous than FH3 with its wheelspins, especially if you factor in super wheelspins. So the cosmetics are hardly robbing you of money or cars.

But it gets even funnier when you realize there's a bunch of people complaining about the game being far too generous.

The game does have a few flaws, like not being able to back out from Team Adventures, Horizon Life AI traffic being reduced to almost 0 at times (this seems more like a bug though as this morning I did a 2 hour session online and the traffic seemed completely normal) or not being able to blueprint championships like in H3. But I just don't see how H3 would be "better" when it's quite literally the same game, but more.

Those driving assist settings make a huge difference in making the game a bit more challenging. I do feel on normal it's a tad easy to get away with some reckless stuff but changing it to Hard/Pro definitely brings in a different feel; even more when you switch some things to simulation level.
Yeah, I’m on pro difficulty with all assists off. But it’s fine, probably approached it too much with a sim mindset.

Just driving around and doing the events is very fun. Dabbled in the rivals mode yesterday seems that that is going to be a big time waster for me.

So I'm on windows, played a bit of it, closed it, opened it again

Except the splash screen gets stuck on the 'loading...please wait' on the bottom right then it just doesn't load anything or do anything :l anyone have this issue?

Also, I completed the tutorial and got the house and that's where I turned it off

I am definitely getting a "get off my lawn stupid kids" vibe from some of the posts, but let's not pretend Horizon wasn't always incredibly light hearted, laid back and, yes, aimed at kids (too) while appealing to the more enthusiastic crowd. And I'm very close to 30, yet I find the silly emotes and outfits absolutely hilarious and a good addition, as it makes the game feel more alive.
You're taking it too seriously, my comment wasn't a slight on the game.

How did you come to the conclusion that seasonal events are part of the online? There are 5 or 6 seasonal events on the map right now and Cheeky Lambos is the only one that requires online interaction.
Well, literally the 'seasonal events', be solo or online experience, comes from an online update done by the devs and change every season. That's why I said they are part of the online experience. I imagine you won't have them if you play the game offline.

Which is splitting hairs a bit, as now the default mode in the game is online. In the end they are optional content that only stays in the game for a few days, so that's why it felt weird to me to call it part of the single player campaign.

The game looks stunning on an Xbox One S with HDR. Admittedly I've got a pretty decent TV but I can only imagine how good it looks on an X!

Played the intro area, just got to Autumn. Love it so far, it's such a good looker and so smooth.

The game looks stunning on an Xbox One S with HDR. Admittedly I've got a pretty decent TV but I can only imagine how good it looks on an X!

Played the intro area, just got to Autumn. Love it so far, it's such a good looker and so smooth.
It's drop dead gorgeous on the X in 4K, like really, really good.

Find any moaning about the wheel spins and the rewards you get for stuff absolutely baffling. The game absolutely launches cars and money to you hand over fist. The emotes and clothes are just a bit of fun. At no point so far have I felt wanting for money at all. And bigger purchases like cars that run several million credits, I stop to think about wether I really want them, as it should be.
People are treating this game like something to beat in 10 hours and getting cross when it doesn't hand them everything they want. It's a baffling approach to a game clearly design to last a long time, and a game that's supposed to be an experience, not an enemy to be beaten.

It also shows a failure to understand a game that's been designed to appeal to a broad play base. When someone considers themselves a "hardcore gamer" and is at level 200 after 24 hours then complains about the level of reward and content they just come across as selfish. "Make this game just for my tiny narrow segment of the market - screw the people with jobs and families, screw the kids. Gimme all the hypercars, castles and content right now."

Yes I know it's going to take you a long time to afford to buy Edinburgh Castle. That's not a flaw. That's the bloody point.