Forza Horizon 4 PC Performance Thread

Watching the digital foundry complete settings guide, a lot of the settings seem to be all or nothing with how they impact visuals and performance. I’m not 100% sure, but I remember FH3 being similar based on my own experience. Like going from extreme to ultra to high might not have an effect on visuals or frame rate, which isn’t very helpful when trying to optimize visuals vs frame rate.

Watching the digital foundry complete settings guide, a lot of the settings seem to be all or nothing with how they impact visuals and performance. I’m not 100% sure, but I remember FH3 being similar based on my own experience. Like going from extreme to ultra to high might not have an effect on visuals or frame rate, which isn’t very helpful when trying to optimize visuals vs frame rate.
Has someone compiled which settings do they suggest leaving on?

Horizon at locked 60fps really is a thing of beauty. FH4 runs so much better than 3 you have to think the 1X and its 60fps version had something to do with it.

So, what should I do if the dynamic settings changed my AF config? I think this actually happened and now it looks like shit just like the demo. Do I really have to reinstall the display driver to force a shader refresh?

By the way, aliasing in this game is unremovable. 4K and 8xMSAA and there are jaggies everywhere, especially in darker coloured cars, shadows and vegetation. And the transparent AA "trick" does nothing for me (besides affecting performance), to the point I think it's just placebo. Still looks bad.

Perhaps there's a technical explanation to why TAA isn't an option for an AAA game on PC in 2018, (perhaps due to forward rendering?) but it's sorely missed here. Dictator , any idea?

Also, the game refuses to start with RTSS active, I need to close it for the game to launch properly.

Last edited:
So, what should I do if the dynamic settings changed my AF config? I think this actually happened and now it looks like shit just like the demo. Do I really have to reinstall the display driver to force a shader refresh?

By the way, aliasing in this game is unremovable. 4K and 8xMSAA and there are jaggies everywhere, especially in darker coloured cars, shadows and vegetation. And the transparent AA "trick" does nothing for me (besides affecting performance). Still looks bad.

Perhaps there's a technical explanation to why TAA isn't an option for an AAA game on PC in 2018, but it's sorely missed here.

Also, the game refuses to start with RTSS active, I need to close it for the game t launch properly.
The game uses forward rendering which is no compatible with TAA I believe. It has huge aliasing issues which is no surprise because Horizon 3 was the same. Even at 4K downsampled with MSAA on top you can still see jaggies. It's probably why you see people still going for quality mode on 1X even though it offers a locked 60fps, the game does not look clean at all at 1080p with 4x MSAA.

The game uses forward rendering which is no compatible with TAA I believe. It has huge aliasing issues which is no surprise because Horizon 3 was the same. Even at 4K downsampled with MSAA on top you can still see jaggies. It's probably why you see people still going for quality mode on 1X even though it offers a locked 60fps, the game does not look clean at all at 1080p with 4x MSAA.
It's a shame really. The interesting thing is that there's definitely a different AA method in place when you're looking at your car in the garage. Super clean there.

Reposting for new page:

Anyone else seeing weird white dots appearing for a single frame on the character models in cutscenes?

I've seen threads about it on the Nvidia and Forza forums but no solution has been found as of yet. Wondering how prevalent this is.

For me they only started to appear in the FH4 demo after my GPU OC, but reverting didn't make them go away, and they're only in this demo, nowhere else, so I don't think this is hardware-related.

(I've got the ultimate edition but can't check as I can't play for another 10 hours or so because of work.)

So are there any FH3 and FH4 comparisons? I'm sure there are graphical improvements in FH4 but to me they look nearly identical in terms of visuals.

In the DF video they suggested using MSAA + (barf) FXAA

I may give it a try

Reposting for new page:

Anyone else seeing weird white dots appearing for a single frame on the character models in cutscenes?

I've seen threads about it on the Nvidia and Forza forums but no solution has been found as of yet. Wondering how prevalent this is.

For me they only started to appear in the FH4 demo after my GPU OC, but reverting didn't make them go away, and they're only in this demo, nowhere else, so I don't think this is hardware-related.

(I've got the ultimate edition but can't check as I can't play for another 10 hours or so because of work.)
Yes, I get this too, I highly doubt it has anything to do with your OC, you probably just didn't notice it.

Extreme settings definitely fuck up performance for no difference as far as I can tell (maybe I could tell if I stopped the car or something).

Looking for solutions to improve the anti aliasing without turning on fxaa... running 8xmsaa and 4x supersampling right now.

In the DF video they suggested using MSAA + (barf) FXAA

I may give it a try
FXAA is absolutely not worth it imo. Especially bad with billboards and any text in the gameworld, muddies it up really bad.

What if I told you... locked G-Synced variable 80 to 90 FPS is even better?
Yeah, FH3 ran at 80+ for me too. The graphics in this one are definitely a step up though. The difference is them designing with PC/one X in mind from day - as opposed to patched in later

You mean GPU's graphics driver MSAA or the in game one? The built in solution is what we're talking about here.
They suggest using both AA options inside the game. Idk if I can deal with fxaa though, it kills the ‘crispiness’ at 4K

Having a 980ti, I wish this game had resolution scaling so I could set the native res to 4K then scale it down to 1440p so I could play it in HDR. HDR only works in 4K and I'd rather not play at 30fps.
HDR isn't a 4K specific feature. It's more do with luminance and amount of colors you can have on screen. Even a 1080P can display a game in HDR color space.

PC Specs:

CPU: i7 5820K OC 4.1GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GTX1080 SLI (Games only uses one card)
Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 ASUS PG348Q

Have everything on max apart from MSAA which is on 4X

Runs between 50 - 65 FPS

But get random stutters which I think might be due to my CPU, if I decrease settings the stutters are more frequent even though the FPS is high.

Edit - looking at the specs my CPU compared to the requirements are fine, so no idea why the stutters happen

This was an issue with FH3 on PC for unlocked and high frame rates but that was fixed in a patch later on

Last edited:
Is there a benchmark in the demo or just the full game?
Benchmark is in demo also under video options when you start the game

EDIT - Just saw patch release notes for the demo that was released

Forza Horizon 4 Demo Patch Release Notes
  • Increase NVIDIA min driver version to 399.24 (PC)
  • Stability fixes: General stability improvements based on telemetry received from retail players (XBOX+PC)
  • Crash during season swap (XBOX+PC)
  • Performance: Fix for framerate lock becoming incorrectly set after autumn drive (PC)
  • Streaming improvements to reduce track drop-out issues. (PC)
  • Stutter reduction when using unlocked framerate. (PC)
  • Quality: Quality improvement for FXAA (PC)
  • Audio reinitialise when output device changes (PC)
  • Fix for stuttering audio at end of benchmark and in photo mode. (PC)
  • Fix for black screen corruption in HDR (XBOX+PC)
  • Fix for flickering procedurals (PC)
  • HDR improvement with glass on Durango (XBOX)
So looks like unlocked frame rate is the cause of the stuttering, patch says it just reduces it.
Will try locking the FPS when I get back to see if it eliminates it.

Last edited:
I found a fix for the ugly grass texture LOD : do NO force 16x AF in the drivers.

If the 16x AF is forced in the drivers, the game will weirdly totally ignore it and its own AF setting on the grass, resulting in a blurry texture.

You can still force AF globally in the driver but you have to add an exception on Forza Horizon 4 to "Application controlled".

I don't know if you need the game to recompile the shaders, but if so, just delete the game data from Windows' Apps management, no need to reinstall a driver. The game will then redownload the saves and recompile the shaders.
I came to the same conclusion on my own while playing the demo and I can definitely confirm that forcing AF in NVCP is the reason for broken AF in game. Just like you I set FH4 profile to Application Controlled and it was fixed. Not sure who is to blame here, Nvidia or PG or both, hopefully it gets fixed in the future. I don't remember having anything like this ever happen in any game before.

So I enable MFAA in the NVidia Control Panel? Do I change anything in game? Also, what would be the benefit of MFAA? Do I disable MSAA or up it to 8x? or leave at 2x?
Just enable it in the Nvidia control panel and keep MSAA in the game.
MFAA "doubles" the quality of MSAA without any cost, so if you chose 2x in the game, you'll get almost 4x quality, if you chose 4x, you'll get 8x, ...

MFAA only works in DX11 and 12 games using MSAA, I don't know about DX10 games. Also, in some games like Rainbow Six Siege, it can cause big pixels around the edge of object if used with TAA, so if you get weird AA in some games, disable it for those games, or enable it only for Forza and other games you want.

Just enable it in the Nvidia control panel and keep MSAA in the game.
MFAA "doubles" the quality of MSAA without any cost, so if you chose 2x in the game, you'll get almost 4x quality, if you chose 4x, you'll get 8x, ...

MFAA only works in DX11 and 12 games using MSAA, I don't know about DX10 games. Also, in some games like Rainbow Six Siege, it can cause big pixels around the edge of object if used with TAA, so if you get weird AA in some games, disable it for those games, or enable it only for Forza and other games you want.
Awesome - thanks - at work now, so will try it when I get home :)

This was just with the demo but I'm actually amazed how smooth it ran at ultra with my setup. Obviously some thing will get tweaked so that I never drop below 60 but this isn't bad at all.

Edit: I just noticed the Video Memory. Thanks 970.

Here's a comparison (from FH3). Like I said you really need to see this in motion to truly grasp the benefits of transparency AA.

Above: 8xMSAA 0x transparency AA ----- Below: 8xMSAA 8x transparency AA

Damn, this game crashes a lot, haven't been able to finish the intro yet because of it.

EDIT: It always happens during the cutscenes, never in-game. Why can't I just skip the damn cutscenes!

I'm super glad this is running so well. You can seemingly crank the settings up the max without many issues on most high end setups.

Specs:
Core i7 4770K
16GB DDR3 RAM
Titan X Pascal
[email protected]

I'm getting somewhere between 70 and 90fps, absolutely every slider to the top, even MSAA. Amazing port.

Has anyone used a crappy CPU like the FX-8320 bulldozer kind of crappy?

I've got one paired with a GTX1060, which should easily be able to handle this I think. It's just the CPU I'm concerned about.

16GB DDR3, Probably won't have room on my SSD.

Sorry to ask this here folks.

Bought the Ultimate Edition on PC and installed the game. When I check my library I realise that there seems to be a separate install for the Ultimate Edition but the size of the file is exactly the same as the standard one.

Shouldn't make a difference which one I install right? Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, I never use winstore.

Sorry to ask this here folks.

Bought the Ultimate Edition on PC and installed the game. When I check my library I realise that there seems to be a separate install for the Ultimate Edition but the size of the file is exactly the same as the standard one.

Shouldn't make a difference which one I install right? Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, I never use winstore.
Makes no difference. I bought Ultimate but installed the normal Forza Horizon 4. Ultimate still shows as "not installed" but it is