Forza Horizon 4 PC Performance Thread

Nope, did not do anything. However it maybe worthwhile to note that I bought the key from cdkeys so I am not sure if that plays a part. As far as I know, all keys are world wide.
Hmm I bought mine there too, as did a friend. He could play right away on his XBOX but I had to change my Windows region to NZ so the "Available 02.10.2018" disappears.

The same issue happens to me when SLI is enabled.
Not just for this game but others too. I think this issue is more to do with NVIDIA rather than FH4.

Have to restart Windows Explorer in task manager to get tiles back to normal, or disable SLI so it doesn't occur in the first place.
Ah, the joys of Sli! Strange only FH4 does it for me but yeah, at least now I know why.

No, this game is extremely optimized all things considered. You can run the in game benchmark, which is very robust, to confirm if you are being CPU bottlenecked. But really, you shouldn't have any issues playing the game as far as your CPU is concerned. How do you know rendering issues are caused by your CPU? What issues are you having, what are you other specs: GPU, RAM, etc?
I know it's CPU because when the rendering got bad, a message popped up saying it was using 100 percent of my CPU.

I found a forum post from september of last year aboutFM7 and it turns out FM7 had the same problems FH3 ha w/r/t CPU utilization. The long and short is it'll absolutely peg one of your cores at 100 percent and just fuckin ignore the rest of them. I don't know if this is specifically a problem with the 6000 series, but I had these problems with FM7 and FH3. The forum post had the same specs I had (1080 + 32GB of ram) so it looks like whatever the issues were in the past, they're still there.

I've got an X so it's not a big deal as I can play it in 1080/60 there, but this is definitely suboptimal. The fact that the issue has persisted across three games leads me to believe it's something engine related.

I'm going to try putting it on 1440P and turning up the resolution scaling to 110-120 percent to see if that fixes it. This apparently fixed it for FM7.

Last edited:
The latest Nvidia drivers gave me a bsod, but only playing this game. The crash dump blamed the driver 411.70.....

For fucks sake.
The latest Nvidia drivers are bad. I downloaded them and my screen started flickering black (on desktop and in any game) every 10 seconds + my GPU temps went up by 6 degrees on average. Rolled back to 399.24, and all issues went away instanly.

"Dont fix it if it works" especially true with drivers.
This support article suggests rolling back to 399.24 if you experience stability issues.
https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/360009636094-Driver-Update-for-NVIDIA-Users
The latest Nvidia drivers are bad. I downloaded them and my screen started flickering black (on desktop and in any game) every 10 seconds + my GPU temps went up by 6 degrees on average. Rolled back to 399.24, and all issues went away instanly.
Thanks. I'll roll back to 399.24. I only updated to the latest drivers because they were supposedly optimised for fh4.

I don't think you can even start FH4 without the latest drivers, can you?

FWIW, I was playing the game flawlessly on them this morning. 60fps on an old i5 2500k, no less.

I don't think you can even start FH4 without the latest drivers, can you?

FWIW, I was playing the game flawlessly on them this morning. 60fps on an old i5 2500k, no less.
The cutoff point is probably somewhere before 399.24. I'm having no problems running the game on that

What are other PC players playing at in terms of res/fps? 8700k/1080ti can't quite get 144 locked in 1440 with the default setting (with dynamic turned off). Mostly ultra with 2x msaa/fxaa off. Hovers between 130-135ish. Decided to drop down to 72 fps for now. Playing in 1080 was just too blurry for me. Video utilization is fairly low with it locked to 72, while obviously 144 had it pinged to 97-98%.

I usually wait for one of those nvidia graphics guides or a maybe a df video, but maybe I'll do more testing tonight. What are the options causing the biggest performance dips?

Set region to NZ, downloaded and started.

With an OC GTX 970 and an i7 6700k @4.4GHz I'm getting only 47-53 fps. Benchmark reveals that my CPU is not a problem at framerates are smooth. VRAM not full. I tried it first on the 399.24 driver and then installed the newest nvidia driver, no framerate difference. Problem seems to be completely GPU limited,
Turning all graphics settings to the lowest gives me an average framerate of 61 in the benchmark, on the starting line of the benchmark it was only 54 though.

That can't be right, can it? I mean a 970 is "recommended" and the game suggests a dynamic medium setting at 60fps with Vsync, but basically never reaches 60fps.
What could be the issue here?

What are other PC players playing at in terms of res/fps? 8700k/1080ti can't quite get 144 locked in 1440 with the default setting (with dynamic turned off). Mostly ultra with 2x msaa/fxaa off. Hovers between 130-135ish. Decided to drop down to 72 fps for now. Playing in 1080 was just too blurry for me. Video utilization is fairly low with it locked to 72, while obviously 144 had it pinged to 97-98%.

I usually wait for one of those nvidia graphics guides or a maybe a df video, but maybe I'll do more testing tonight. What are the options causing the biggest performance dips?
Digital foundry claimed SSAO was the most taxing option if I remember correctly. Also some graphical options are broken, regardless of what setting they are stuck to low in-game.

Set region to NZ, downloaded and started.

With an OC GTX 970 and an i7 6700k @4.4GHz I'm getting only 47-53 fps. Benchmark reveals that my CPU is not a problem at framerates are smooth. VRAM not full. I tried it first on the 399.24 driver and then installed the newest nvidia driver, no framerate difference. Problem seems to be completely GPU limited,
Turning all graphics settings to the lowest gives me an average framerate of 61 in the benchmark, on the starting line of the benchmark it was only 54 though.

That can't be right, can it? I mean a 970 is "recommended" and the game suggests a dynamic medium setting at 60fps with Vsync, but basically never reaches 60fps.
What could be the issue here?
Have you running something in the background. I believe Chrome is a big factor. I saw a streamer yesterday having the same issue. Then he closed chrome and the game was perfect.

On my 7700k/1080ti I got like 80-110 FPS at 1440/ultra/4x MSAA/4x Transparency AA

At 4K I dropped MSAA to 2x and reflections and SSAO to high

Digital Foundry did a great video that covers all the settings, you should check it out.

Patch coming today.

"PC
• Fixed issue when changing MSAA from 2x to 4x resulted in improper tree LOD rendering/popping until game restarted.
• Fixed stalls and large FPS drops during Initial Drive. Affected machines where the player had insufficient RAM for their quality settings.
• Fixed AMD GPU issue where switching MSAA settings without restarting resulted in black corruption on the environment.
• Environment streaming improvements for min spec machines.
• Added visual presets for Nvidia RTX 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti.
• Fanatec CSL Wheel - fix for handbrake stuck on.
• Wheel Force Feedback improvements."

I solved it.

My Windows Power Plan had somehow reverted back to balanced (which scales CPU power between 5 and 100%).

Setting it to High Performance eliminated the issue instantly. Night and Day difference.

I was messing around with my BIOS and got similar crazy stutters when i disabled 'sync all cores'

Still pushed out a ton of frames, but the stutter count was like 400+

i5 8600k
8GB RAM
GTX 1060 (6 GB)

Got a mixture of high and mostly ultra, and it's a solid 1080p/60fps (using vsync).

I had the no audio issue despite all the mentioned fixes, but I switched my headphones to the jack on the Xbox One controller and it works perfectly through that.

Patch coming today.

"PC
• Fixed issue when changing MSAA from 2x to 4x resulted in improper tree LOD rendering/popping until game restarted.
• Fixed stalls and large FPS drops during Initial Drive. Affected machines where the player had insufficient RAM for their quality settings.
• Fixed AMD GPU issue where switching MSAA settings without restarting resulted in black corruption on the environment.
• Added visual presets for Nvidia RTX 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti.
• Fanatec CSL Wheel - fix for handbrake stuck on.
• Wheel Force Feedback improvements."
also :

All Platforms
• General stability and performance improvements.
• Ultimate VIP Crown flair fixed.

Have you running something in the background. I believe Chrome is a big factor. I saw a streamer yesterday having the same issue. Then he closed chrome and the game was perfect.
Thanks, but it didn't help.

The lowest settings possible give me 67fps in free roam on average. Wow.
Guess it's 30fps vsync and high with some Ultra settings (yes, I did the maximum 1 frame ahead trick against input lag). What a weird game.

Also, I can set the gears to "buttons" on my shifter, save it, go out of that menu, go back in to double-check, yes it's saved, go back to gameplay in the car, no reaction to H-pattern shifting, back to controls menu, sure enough, no buttons for the gears assigned. Every time.
On-screen wheel and physical don't line up and it's missing the options from Forza 7 to align it.
And overall the FFB feels like a bad mix of FH3 (which was still on the old non-self-aligning Forza FFB) and FM7 (which is not great either, but at least somewhat ok for the most part). Off-road bump fidelity feels really awful.

No language options, stuck with German, even though region is set New Zealand and non-unicode language is set to US (I remember that was all that was necessary to get FH3 to be in english and non of this is necessary in FM7).

Happy that I only have this in Game Pass for the rest of the month and didn't pay full price.

Edit: ONE good thing needs to be mentioned - FOV options! FINALLY! *so good* ... I mean I actually need 37° for mathematically correct FOV, but the lowest possible here, 40°, is totally fine.

On PC if you go into Open sound settings, click on device properties, select Enhancements tab, then uncheck "Disable all enhancements" if checked and put a check in "Low Frequency Protection and "Loudness Equalization" and reboot. It's essential to reboot and that's what solved it for me. This also the fix the devs tweeted out during the demo.
I don't have a "low frequency protection" option, just "loudness equalization" in my Realtek windows device properties.

The release game still crashes when transitioning the first season during the intro.

Any other ideas on how to fix this? Googling turns up a bunch of people with the same issue and no fixes.

It's crazy that the only game that has ever had an issue with my Realtek on board sound (which is the most standard sound chipset) is a Microsoft product.

I am getting 200+ on the stutter count at the benchmark and I have no idea why. I am running a i5 8600k with a GTX 1080ti on a 1440p g sync monitor. Anyone have any ideas?

Nice job on the optimization with this one. Can max everything (except for FXAA) at 1440p and never go below 70 fps or so, with the average well above 100 fps. Benchmarks gives avg of 86 with 1-3 stutters, but I find ingame performance tends to average a little higher.

Some small, short stutters every now and then, but they are infrequent enough to be a nonissue. A couple of times - after tweaking settings, alt-tabbing etc - some more stuttering has appeared and the only way to fix it has been to restart Windows entirely. Weird, but again, only has happened a couple of times so not going to rip my pants over it.

Looks absolutely glorious, too.

Wheel support is OK. Not great, but good enough to enjoy, unlike in FH3. Sometimes it feels as if the level of grip is not relayed correctly.

Had to forward a bunch of ports on router to get NAT Type to Open.

6700k @ 4.5
16 gigs DDR4/2400
GTX1080Ti STRIX
Gsync
Game on NVME 960 Pro
T300RS Wheel/Pedals

Game's unplayable for me on PC. It not only randomly crashes, it locks up my whole PC. Can't even start the first race after the intro. 8(

Patch coming today.

PC
I'm nowhere near min spec, but hopefully this helps with the issue for me.

The game runs absolutely fantastically, but every so often I'm just driving into nothingness and getting hit with "Low Streaming Bandwidth".

Question to everyone who can play the game fine, does any of you have any GIGABYTE Software installed such as EasyTune, AppCenter, @BIOS and EasyTune EngineService?