Gran Turismo Sport Community Thread: Racing Leagues, Time Trials & More

Tsukuba will be added to the season 2 schedule - which track should make way?

• Willow springs

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Monza

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Neither - keep the original schedule

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Do all of them - Adds additional week, finale on the 13th May

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about doing teams again (I kind of miss them), but matching based on the the top and bottom standings of this season? So, 1st and last get matched, 2nd and next-to-last get matched, etc. That would make the team points battle a bit more even, I'd hope. I suppose the only question is if we still have the numbers to support it.
This would also make sense but I think with the idea of free choice in terms of car it makes it slightly harder, I mean I'm happy with the idea of 2 man teams and a scramble on liveries :)

The problem with teams was people often couldn't make it every week so your team would suffer through none of your doing. The only way I could see it work is if we had 3 or 4 man teams and only the best 2 results per race counted, then it doesn't matter if you're a man down.

GR4 and an option to switch at the mid point of the season sound fine but I hope everyone tests beforehand and selects a car they are happy with. I'd prefer that there's no moaning about how xxxxx car isn't competitive or how xxxxx car is shit when the tires start to wear :)

What we are currently looking at (potentially):
  • GR4 with BOP on - both Meganes will be banned
  • Car choices are not single instanced (more than one person can drive the same car if they wish) but everyone must decide what they will be driving before the first race and stick to it
  • There will be an opportunity to switch to a different car at the mid point of the season
  • 40 minute races, 15 minutes qualifying beforehand
  • Tire wear and fuel wear ON (rates TBC and may be defined on a per track basis)
  • Starting fuel 50 litres
  • Tire options: RH ----> RS (no supersofts)
  • Light damage on
  • Reverse grid starts from qualifying results with points for qualifying
  • Grid starts with false start check
  • No teams (unless everyone who participates is happy to commit to every race for the duration of the season)
I'll look at getting a schedule and a sign up form ready for the last week of August with a view to kicking off in the first couple of weeks in September.

eyeball_kid I'll have them up at some point this week mate, it's been a bit hectic as I'm going on holiday next week so trying to get several things wrapped up before then.

The reverse grid is from qualifying, so you get a lot of points for qualifying in first but it makes your race tougher as you start from the back. If we have high tyre wear too it could be even more tricky as it'd be tougher to look after your tyres and get past people.

I think auto return was put on after willow springs and stayed on from there, i think it is quicker for most people.

Personally I want to see the return of fuel and tyre wear (how is it endurance otherwise?) as it really can add to the stress and tension at the end. The race we had around the blue moon track where I ran out of fuel just before crossing the line and just beat Gvon was amazing.
Haha that race was great lol.

I should be OK to hop back into a few races as the golf season will be winding down. Should be getting home before the races start again lol

Fair points on teams.

I wouldn't mind doing Gr.3 again now that the new tire model is here. From my testing the Ferrari is a lot more stable and also doesn't suffer from the insane tire wear it once did; I imagine the other MR cars are similar.

And Gvon it'd be great to have you back in the mix! You didn't tell us you were a golf pro mate

Might it be worth putting it to a vote as to whether we prefer Gr3 or Gr4. It looks like eyeball_kid and DHC-Shannow prefer Gr3 whilst CLR_CMOS prefers Gr4. Myself, I'm easy but I do believe Gr4 will make for closer races.
Whatever we do decide I hope we finalize it quickly so I can get on with finding my car :-)

I also prefer GR3. The cars have a lot more personality and I think the class is far better balanced than GR4 is, especially so now that the 911 isn't as dominant as it once was.

Good shout on the vote. I'll see if I can get the poll in the OP wiped so I can put a new one up.

I also prefer GR3. The cars have a lot more personality and I think the class is far better balanced than GR4 is, especially so now that the 911 isn't as dominant as it once was.

Good shout on the vote. I'll see if I can get the poll in the OP wiped so I can put a new one up.
Might be quicker to just tag everyone who competed in the last season or two and ask if anyone is opposed to Gr3 and see how many objections we get

Just had a quick look at a stream of today's sport mode races and GR4 is essentially Megane vs Evo... PD really need to fix the BOP for GR4, it's pretty fucked.

With the exception of the new Ford GT being the flavour of the month, GR3 has a lot more variation.

Might be quicker to just tag everyone who competed in the last season or two and ask if anyone is opposed to Gr3 and see how many objections we get
I'll get the list together and post it tomorrow.

Fair points on teams.

I wouldn't mind doing Gr.3 again now that the new tire model is here. From my testing the Ferrari is a lot more stable and also doesn't suffer from the insane tire wear it once did; I imagine the other MR cars are similar.

And Gvon it'd be great to have you back in the mix! You didn't tell us you were a golf pro mate
Yesss, I'm a professional lol...I cook at and run a clubhouse.
It will be good to get back into the swing of things as I have missed the racing.

Yesss, I'm a professional lol...I cook at and run a clubhouse.
It will be good to get back into the swing of things as I have missed the racing.
Not to mention professional commentator :-) You and your alternative strategies have been missed.

Glad I haven't started testing yet there's been a whole raft of BOP changes. The new GT40 has been nerfed already

Not to mention professional commentator :-) You and your alternative strategies have been missed.

Glad I haven't started testing yet there's been a whole raft of BOP changes. The new GT40 has been nerfed already
Yeah noticed that earlier

I like this news though as I love this car

Toyota Toyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3) [Weight Reduction Ratio : 103% > 102%]

I don't really want VGT cars in the league, but I guess the majority can rule on that. But the Toyota FT-1 VGT I'm more okay with because it seems more of an early prototype version of what will be the real thing. Don't know how balanced it is lately though.

To be honest I'm greatly concerned about balancing because PD are seemingly incapable of getting BOP right. GR4 is a one make class at the moment (the newer megane after they nerfed the old FWD megane) and GR3 seems to have a handful of OP cars that people just keep on returning to...

Looking at the BOP adjustments yesterday they nerfed cars that were already off the pace compared to the popular choices. I don't understand what they think they are doing.

Fuck it. What about just doing a full GR2 endurance series? Saves a lot of headaches since it's the only class (other than GrB) that's actually balanced at the moment.

My guess on the BoP adjustments is they think the new tire model and tire wear differences made it necessary for FIA, but who knows, I guess we'll see.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I didn't particularly enjoy the Gr.2 races. I think they're a bit too unstable, especially if we go back to tire wear, and due to the speeds one bad off can really ruin your chances at a good placement. If we're going to stay that fast I'd rather go up to the Gr.1 class. I feel like Gr.3 is more of the sweet spot. I hear you on the BoP concerns though.

Last edited:
Are the Vision GT cars gonna be allowed then? I thought everyone hated them
Ah being fair that wasn't with regard to the league, more a personal preference lol

As for the car I'm happy with either, certainly agree on the BoP concerns. GR1 has a wider selection than GR2 admittedly.

Looks like the Merc has another bug

Last edited:
Ah being fair that wasn't with regard to the league, more a personal preference lol

As for the car I'm happy with either, certainly agree on the BoP concerns. GR1 has a wider selection than GR2 admittedly.
I bought the Toyota VGT last night and have to say I agree it's a lovely drive.

I'd prefer Gr3 over both Gr2 and Gr1. I personally will choose the car I get on best with regardless of how "competitive" it is. The lack of variety in Gr2 makes it a little boring for a whole season.

With everyone able to select their own cars this time round there should be less issues with people hating their cars

What if we limit the Gr3 cars? So basically exclude anything we consensually agree is OP?
If we do that we need list ASAP. I'm practicing in all the cars now and it'll all be a waste of time if all the cars I like are banned!
Personally I don't think banning cars is the answer from what I can tell CLR_CMOS wants closer racing so I can't see him choosing an OP car but if someone with a lot less pace chooses an OP car it's just narrowing the gap.
In our 1st Endurance league was the Gr3 Aston Martin considered OP or was that just Ruttyboys outstanding driving?
I say let the guys drive what they want CENSORSHIP is not the answer :-)

If we do that we need list ASAP. I'm practicing in all the cars now and it'll all be a waste of time if all the cars I like are banned!
Personally I don't think banning cars is the answer from what I can tell CLR_CMOS wants closer racing so I can't see him choosing an OP car but if someone with a lot less pace chooses an OP car it's just narrowing the gap.
In our 1st Endurance league was the Gr3 Aston Martin considered OP or was that just Ruttyboys outstanding driving?
I say let the guys drive what they want CENSORSHIP is not the answer :-)
I say as CLR_CMOS doesn't want anything faster then GR3 let him race that whilst we have the GR2/GR1 he might only come second then!

As we have free choice over cars then BoP differences shouldn't be an issue - we can ban the Meganes if we go the GR4 route. I intend on doing testing of all the cars if we go GR3 so if there's any that stand out as being way better than the others then we can discuss about banning them too. I enjoy the faster stuff too so I'm easy with any direction you want to take :-)

Looks like the Merc has another bug

Wow thats an amazing bug to leave in there!

Haha the only thing I'm a professional at is being a pain in the arsed lol.

DHC-Shannow has inspired me following a recent comment in the GT Sport OT. Here's my idea to combat the BOP shenanigans:
  • Each individual picks a manufacturer at the start of the season
  • The races will alternate between GR3 and GR4 throughout the season
  • No manufacturers will be banned
  • At the mid point of the season you can swap manufacturer if you wish
The logic behind this is simple. Sometimes the GR4 for a certain manufacturer might be OP but that is usually balanced out by the GR3 car being average/difficult/poor. Second reason is that it should please everybody as some people want GR3 and others GR4.

Honestly... based on the FIA manufacters series I'm starting to think PD might first look to balance BOP for manufacturers overall rather than individual cars within their classes...

Anyway, what do you guys think? Yay or Nay?

DHC-Shannow has inspired me following a recent comment in the GT Sport OT. Here's my idea to combat the BOP shenanigans:
The logic behind this is simple. Sometimes the GR4 for a certain manufacturer might be OP but that is usually balanced out by the GR3 car being average/difficult/poor. Second reason is that it should please everybody as some people want GR3 and others GR4.

Honestly... based on the FIA manufacters series I'm starting to think PD might first look to balance BOP for manufacturers overall rather than individual cars within their classes...

Sounds a good idea :)

Yay!

Great idea, I certainly wasn't thinking of that when I posted it :-) So you're opening it up completely, VGT's allowed?
Yep I'll just leave it completely open. So if people want to drive the likes of Mazda and Citroën then go for it.

The only manufacturers that won't be selectable will be those who only have a car in one of the two categories we will race (e.g. Bugatti because they only have a GR4 car).

The whole "select a manufacturer rather than a car" thing is the exact reason we see so much variety in the FIA manufacturers series :) . While there might be some OP cars, there isn't an OP manufacturer, so people just drive what they prefer (which is as it should be).

Yep I'll just leave it completely open. So if people want to drive the likes of Mazda and Citroën then go for it.

The only manufacturers that won't be selectable will be those who only have a car in one of the two categories we will race (e.g. Bugatti because they only have a GR4 car).

The whole "select a manufacturer rather than a car" thing is the exact reason we see so much variety in the FIA manufacturers series :) . While there might be some OP cars, there isn't an OP manufacturer, so people just drive what they prefer (which is as it should be).
That totally rules out Dodge for me—the Gr4 is monumentally underpowered, even more so now it’s been unjustifiabley nerfed.

Can the Merc F1 count as a Gr3 car? Least I might have a chance of keeping up with CLR_CMOS then. Lol.

That totally rules out Dodge for me—the Gr4 is monumentally underpowered, even more so now it’s been unjustifiabley nerfed.

Can the Merc F1 count as a Gr3 car? Least I might have a chance of keeping up with CLR_CMOS then. Lol.
But you won on Monza in the GR4 Viper! (pre nerf tho) - as GHG says tho, these things often balance out - I did Willow Springs in the GR3 Lexus and couldn't get near the top 3.

It's just gonna be down to testing and seeing what has the best balance, might be flying one week and just have to make the best of it the next.

But you won on Monza in the GR4 Viper! (pre nerf tho) - as GHG says tho, these things often balance out - I did Willow Springs in the GR3 Lexus and couldn't get near the top 3.

It's just gonna be down to testing and seeing what has the best balance, might be flying one week and just have to make the best of it the next.
I’d forgotten about Monza. Obviously was a fluke. Lol.

I’d forgotten about Monza. Obviously was a fluke. Lol.
Not a fluke. The Viper was just well suited to a pure power track and you obviously had a great drive with few mistakes. From the tests I did at the time the Viper was quickest around Monza by a fair bit but it was far less capable on more technical tracks.
The Gr4 Lexus wasn't an outstanding car in any regard but it was well balanced and it didn't hurt having DHC-Shannow driving it lol :-)

That idea feels a bit complicated, and I'm not super into the idea of seeing Hot Wheels VGT toy cars in our replays. ;)

What about instead of that we stick with Gr.3 only, you pick whatever and stay with it all season. But we implement a nerf system like they do in the Super GT races. So the winner of the 1st race gets a BoP nerf of GHG's choice in the 2nd race. If someone else wins race 2, they get the nerf instead. If the winner of race 1 still wins race 2, an additional BoP nerf gets added for race 3. Or if we want to make it a really flat field, nerf the top three or something.

Everyone picking a manufacturer and then the races being GR3 and GR4 on alternating weeks is actually pretty simple :)

BOP will be whatever PD decides it is at any given time (the lobby BOP setting will be on). No manual fiddling, no alterations, no headaches.

Eh. I don't think the manufacturer thing worked out too well for us last time. For instance I want to drive the Ferrari Gr.3 again, but the Gr.4 is uncompetitive especially after the latest power nerf. But whatever y'all want.

Eh. I don't think the manufacturer thing worked out too well for us last time. For instance I want to drive the Ferrari Gr.3 again, but the Gr.4 is uncompetitive especially after the latest power nerf. But whatever y'all want.
Are there any manufacturers where both Gr3 and Gr4 are competitive?

If I understand the premise put forth by GHG correctly, the theory goes if you choose a competitive Gr3 you have an uncompetitive Gr4; if you choose a competitive Gr4 then you’ll have an uncompetitive Gr3; finally, if you choose a middling Gr3 then you have a middling Gr4.

So over the course of the season, the relative competitiveness of the car you choose should balance out.

Are there any manufacturers where both Gr3 and Gr4 are competitive?

If I understand the premise put forth by GHG correctly, the theory goes if you choose a competitive Gr3 you have an uncompetitive Gr4; if you choose a competitive Gr4 then you’ll have an uncompetitive Gr3; finally, if you choose a middling Gr3 then you have a middling Gr4.

So over the course of the season, the relative competitiveness of the car you choose should balance out.
I think both Aston's are good, Merc GR4 isn't the quickest but is good on fuel and tyres, the BMW's are both good etc - I'm sure there'll be plenty more when we dig into it. A lot of the MR cars might come back into play with the new tyre model too.

Speaking of the Astons, it's a shame that rutty is still out.

But yeah, if there are manufacturers that are competent in both classes, it will basically be "choose the manufacturer you want (at your own peril)". In other words, I'd end up picking the Aston if they've got the best all-around cars, even though I'd enjoy driving the 458 more. Just food for thought.

No solution is gonna keep everyone happy unfortunately but this seems a decent compromise and everyone is in the same boat.
When we were looking at just Gr3 I quite liked the Mazda Atenza a pretty middling car i think but I managed to consistently record some of my fastest times over a number of different tracks. Then we brought in Gr4 to the equation and the Gr4 variant is a heap of shit imo. So I feel your pain

It is going to be hard to judge too - the GR4 Aston wasn't perfect, it's quick but hard on tyres and fuel. I've been having some practice for the FIA event on Saturday so tried different GR4s tonight - quite surprised how slow my Lexus was compared to the Merc, Aston and Citroen. The Aston was quickest over a single lap but the Citroen better over a stint - this was on a power track tho.

There's more variables at play this season too, like the return of the hard tyre which will probably help the Corvette and Mustang.

Here's the comparison I did on various GR4 cars before season 2 if you want to use it to shortlist the cars to test. As you can see the Ferrari GR4 is mid table after 6 laps but one of the quickest earlier - with hard tyres the fall off won't be as bad. These times were set on Maggiore as that has a good balance of corners but tracks with different combinations will shuffle the list about according to the cars strength. Some of the cars will have had their BoP tweaked since I created this list too so you need to perform your own tests.

#