Is Halo Dad?

• Halo is mom

Votes: 134 23.0%
  • Halo is dad

Votes: 244 41.9%
  • The Place that Shall Not Be Named is extra-dad

Votes: 205 35.2%

• Total voters
I genuinely think that battle Royale would work almost perfectly with Halo.
I think so too. But I think MS & 343 would have sat down 3 months after Halo 5 released and thought, ok, we need to go back to the drawing board.

No more 3 year cycle, no more following trends, no more in your face art style.

Doing a BR mode would only take their focus away from the new big Halo Title. If trying to copy BR and making it Haloesque failed, they would have taken so much more flak for becoming one of the rest rather than aiming to be THE BEST.

An ODST reskin (literally as close as possible in terms of mechanics and gameplay) of PUBG that looked better and ran better would be the only Halo BR I'd be interested in. I do not want a Spartanized Battle Royale game/mode with recharging shields, bunnyhopping, spartan abilities, and zero recoil weapons. Any Battle Royale Halo should play distinctly different than standard Halo games.

The focus for Infinite should be on the established pillars of Halo multiplayer and whatever they want to build on from Halo 5. They should not try to build yet another pillar of halo multiplayer into the main games. Halo has enough pillars and it's impossible to satisfy every fan's personal interpretation of those pillars as it is.

So, after seeing the hype explode over Blackops 4 post-Blackout beta, how are we feeling about a Battle Royale mode in Halo Infinite?
Yes

I genuinely think that battle Royale would work almost perfectly with Halo.
Yes

I have the same qualms with BR mode as I did with Battlefield Halo—at some point it should be a spinoff rather than a game that has little relation to the base formula. Warzone successfully threads that needle, Breakout didn't.
To be fair, stopping midcombat and going to an ingame store to change your loadout with points based on an in game level is pretty obtuse historically speaking and as you said it did work.

There's too much hiding and waiting out fights in BR modes, Halo is truly dead when your spartan is waiting in a space bathtub for the circle to shrink.
No disrespect, but do you actually playing any Royale games? Because thats not really how it goes, especially in Blackout, it rewards playing aggressively.

Fortnite and TPP PUBG dont count because those is for garbage players who just want to corner peek and play nightcrawlers rather than be active in the game.

No matter how badly many people will say no to it and plead with 343 not to do it, they absolutely should. Its an exciting game mode that has the narrative ability to drive a spectating audience and keep players coming back for more.
If 343 wants to continue to focus on creating a twitch-able game, get a BR mode out there.

An ODST reskin (literally as close as possible in terms of mechanics and gameplay) of PUBG that looked better and ran better would be the only Halo BR I'd be interested in. I do not want a Spartanized Battle Royale game/mode with recharging shields, bunnyhopping, spartan abilities, and zero recoil weapons. Any Battle Royale Halo should play distinctly different than standard Halo games.

The focus for Infinite should be on the established pillars of Halo multiplayer and whatever they want to build on from Halo 5. They should not try to build yet another pillar of halo multiplayer into the main games. Halo has enough pillars and it's impossible to satisfy every fan's personal interpretation of those pillars as it is.
At this point, what would even be the point of a Halo Battle Royale if it doesn't play anything like Halo? I think if you just want the Halo skin on PUBG it's not really worth for 343i to invest into it...

At this point, what would even be the point of a Halo Battle Royale if it doesn't play anything like Halo? I think if you just want the Halo skin on PUBG it's not really worth for 343i to invest into it...
For the environments, sandbox, movement and aiming quality? That's what I ask for out of a Halo BR. I don't go for PUBG or Fortnite because console aiming with them is for the birds.

For the environments, sandbox, movement and aiming quality? That's what I ask for out of a Halo BR. I don't go for PUBG or Fortnite because console aiming with them is for the birds.
But he specifically said he doesn't want the Halo movement and weapons. I'm not against a Battle Royale mode in Halo if it still uses the Halo mechanics.

Was this posted?
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinites-multiplayer-will-focus-esports

In developing for the next game, it is a key piece of how we think about how we built out multiplayer, which is the mode that our esports is built off of. Thinking about how people will view it. Thinking about how they will play it. But at the end of the day, we have to build an awesome game... Halo has a long legacy with esports, but we have let it be community run. It wasn't until very recently that we looked at the space and said, 'We want to significantly invest in it and create a structure that not just has longevity, but has consistencies that others can build businesses off of... Those are all things that go into the development process that didn't before.
Not shocking, but good to see why they are working on attracting and holding onto orgs, a big issue with 5

Kind of my entire point. I don't want BR with Halo mechanics in any form unless you count vehicle physics/driving.

Was this posted?
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinites-multiplayer-will-focus-esports

Not shocking, but good to see why they are working on attracting and holding onto orgs, a big issue with 5
Glad to see they are re-evaluating their approach to competitive play, but I just hope they’re able to better balance it with more casual multiplayer experiences. I think Assault is a great example of where competitive intrusion held back the potential of the overall game because despite the mode being totally fine, it kept getting pulled because it wasn’t comparatively optimized or something. I just want to see a lot of game types in Infinite, I don’t really care if they’ll work with comp or not; I want variety back.

Glad to see they are re-evaluating their approach to competitive play, but I just hope they’re able to better balance it with more casual multiplayer experiences. I think Assault is a great example of where competitive intrusion held back the potential of the overall game because despite the mode being totally fine, it kept getting pulled because it wasn’t comparatively optimized or something. I just want to see a lot of game types in Infinite, I don’t really care if they’ll work with comp or not; I want variety back.
Agreed. I'd like to see a return to smaller 4v4 maps with hogs, even if that would never be played in hcs.

Screw BR, where's our F2P Halo MOBA and CCG?
I'm holding out for some AR mobile game action with Halo: GO, or even a classic monster-training based RPG, like Pocket Prometheans. Or maybe, like Candy Crush, but with hard light for some reason. The opportunities for smashing Halo thematics onto other genres because they are popular right now fun is truly limitless!

I'm holding out for some AR mobile game action with Halo: GO, or even a classic monster-training based RPG, like Pocket Prometheans. Or maybe, like Candy Crush, but with hard light for some reason. The opportunities for smashing Halo thematics onto other genres because they are popular right now fun is truly limitless!
Don't forget FarmVille: Halo Edition where a fun game is ruined by making you wait six hours for everything unless you pay $1.

All of this talk about Battle Royal and yet some of the pro BR sentiment comes from those who criticized 343i for Halo 4 and Halo 5 due to chasing trends!

Battle Royal is a waste of time! The only reason why Fortnite was so successful is because it's F2P and on multiple devices. Halo should stick with Arena and Warzone.

Just bring back that Halo Megablocks games, it actually looked really good.
Make a Halo platofrmer but lose the Megablocks part, that added nothing to its charm.

All of this talk about Battle Royal and yet some of the pro BR sentiment comes from those who criticized 343i for Halo 4 and Halo 5 due to chasing trends!

Battle Royal is a waste of time! The only reason why Fortnite was so successful is because it's F2P and on multiple devices. Halo should stick with Arena and BTB.
Fixed.

Make a Halo platofrmer but lose the Megablocks part, that added nothing to its charm.

Fixed.
I like Moose's fix, but yes I agree with both of you. Halo BR does NOT need to be a thing and if it is a thing, needs to be 100% separate from Halo: Infinite. Should be it's own spin-off game at that rate.

BTB is arena though.
I view Arena as strictly 4v4 or something like multi team. If Warzone is back I hope they really expand the objectives, I'd like if they added the moving King as an objective like that custom gametype, assault bombs that temporarily halt spawning before a capture (stops that constant spawning + contesting), etc. Warzone Assault should be replaced with Warzone Invasion and have more variance as well. They also need to be mindful of balancing when adding new REQS, Warzone meta was completely ruined after some additions.

I like Moose's fix, but yes I agree with both of you. Halo BR does NOT need to be a thing and if it is a thing, needs to be 100% separate from Halo: Infinite. Should be it's own spin-off game at that rate.
ODST 2 with Firefight and a BR mode, then it's not taking away from mainline Halo's package while adding to another.

Last edited:
Would be cool, if they explored more spin-off ideas in general. They probably even do and we just don't really know, like always.
Yeah and spin-offs allow for more time between main series games. I don't even care if they give the spin-offs to another company (though if Halo BR is a thing, it needs to be F2P)

Poodlestrike

Community Resettler
I still say BR mode Halo is a bad idea. So much of the appeal of Battle Royale is the creeping tension that comes from being only a moment or a misposition away from death at all times. Halo is all about being able to turn and deliver, it's a dramatically different 30 second loop, and I don't think they'd fit well at all. Maybe as a mode in an ODST spinoff (which would be a good place to do Battlefield Halo as well, btw).
I view Arena as strictly 4v4 or Something like multi team. If Warzone is back I hope they really expand the objectives, I'd like if they added the moving King as an objective like that custom gametype, assault bombs that temporarily halt spawning before a capture (stops that constant spawning + contesting), etc. Warzone Assault should be replaced with Warzone Invasion and have more variance as well. They also need to be mindful of balancing when adding new REQS, Warzone meta was completely ruined after some additions.
This (the added objectives) is something I really wanted and was bummed when it never materialized. I'd like to see Warzone go to 3 team, with a large variety of possible rounds on each map so matches never play out the same way.

I still say BR mode Halo is a bad idea. So much of the appeal of Battle Royale is the creeping tension that comes from being only a moment or a misposition away from death at all times. Halo is all about being able to turn and deliver, it's a dramatically different 30 second loop, and I don't think they'd fit well at all. Maybe as a mode in an ODST spinoff (which would be a good place to do Battlefield Halo as well, btw).
Fortnite has a similar TTK with Halo, so I don’t really see your point. I’m not all in on a Halo BR, but there definitely is potential. I wouldn’t take it unless it’s packaged with an ODST 2 though.

Yeah and spin-offs allow for more time between main series games. I don't even care if they give the spin-offs to another company (though if Halo BR is a thing, it needs to be F2P)
We have brought this up quite some times, but it would be really cool, if the new Slipspace Engine is built with that in mind. Giving external developers tools to come up with a Halo spin-off title (or even completely unrelated games).

Isn’t this was they did with Halo 5? Let the community and MLG decide how the competitive side should be. There is a reason why MLG MAPS WAS PRIMARILY FOUNDRY and forge MAPS.
Eh, in previous Haloes the MLG community didn't really get a chance to get content into the playlist, it was pretty much run-by-edict of a single person who wasn't interested in doing anything other than mirroring what was on the circuit currently, and wouldn't even let community maps be added to the MLG playlist after MLG had moved on to another game.

It also created an issue where MLG forgers had a hard time testing maps because people playing MLG customs wanted to.. only play maps and gametypes on the circuit, even though they had a playlist. There was even a notable amount of people that bragged that they never played the playlist itself, so basically the contingent that all wanted 1:1 circuit mirror already had what they wanted, but the community-at-large never got to actually have a playlist of hardcore content created by themselves, and mlg-forgers were stuck in a catch-22 of getting their content tested, all because of one person at MLG.

If they're gonna revisit this, they need to actually have a pipeline for the community to make and post up their own content.

Last edited:
Kind of my entire point. I don't want BR with Halo mechanics in any form unless you count vehicle physics/driving.
wat.

Battle Royal is a waste of time! The only reason why Fortnite was so successful is because it's F2P and on multiple devices. Halo should stick with Arena and Warzone.
Yes because people who want a BR mode are asking to significantly change the core game modes, right?

Sometimes I doubt whether you think before you type lol.

I think that’s less an issue of competitive intrusion and more an issue with poor playlist management.

I just want them to launch the game with proper weapon balance from the start, so that way we don’t need to have a different sandbox per playlist, and a movement system that doesn’t break the spawn system (or a spawn system that can handle the movement system)

I cant even start to respond to some of yall, my goodness you have such blinders on, and I dont fully think yall understand what battle royale is

Yeah the idea of stat based loot randomly found around the map sounds just wrong too me.

As the doc mentions, If they could find a way to make it work with static item spawns, I’d be pretty interested, but I don’t know how they’d handle the start of the round. Airdrops would make make for a clusterfuck if power up/weapon spawns aren’t handled right.

Last edited:
warzone was fun for the first few months then it became really one sided after a while. Being pinned down in your home base was not fun at all. . . . .
It was more fun at launch because no one unlocked all the super powerful shit yet and developed sweaty team of 12 strats. lol

I cant even start to respond to some of yall, my goodness you have such blinders on, and I dont fully think yall understand what battle royale is

Real talk. I know it's not gonna happen but a proper BR game with Halo 5 gameplay with the the amount of locales and sandbox elements you already have at your disposal would be so dope.

I would be addicted to that like other kids are to Fortnite.

Poodlestrike

Community Resettler
Yeah the idea of stat based loot randomly found around the map sounds just wrong too me.

As the doc mentions, If they could find a way to make it work with static item spawns, I’d be pretty interested, but I don’t know how they’d handle the start of the round. Airdrops would make make for a clusterfuck if power up/weapon spawns aren’t handled right.
I still think it's not a great idea generally, but this would be easy enough to handle with delayed spawns. Utility weapons scattered around the map at the start, then the midtier spawns in a couple minutes later, then the forreal power weapons after that. Same deal with vehicles. Could introduce extra granularity and additional tiers with REQ-type weapons if they wanted.

I still think it's not a great idea generally, but this would be easy enough to handle with delayed spawns. Utility weapons scattered around the map at the start, then the midtier spawns in a couple minutes later, then the forreal power weapons after that. Same deal with vehicles. Could introduce extra granularity and additional tiers with REQ-type weapons if they wanted.
Lol delayed spawns is exactly what I settled on. I didn’t think about the tiers though...

I think theres an opportunity to nail that signature BR drama when you have a randomly changing map in conjunction with static spawns, but I’m still not of the opinion that single life, 1v100 Halo is a grest idea. Successfully Contesting a power up against 3 others, but immediately dying because some asshole cleans you up before your shield return sounds annoying...